Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

+17
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
SpartanInNH
xsanguine
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Gomer
Vlad
steveschneider
Rocinante
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
pulling69
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
Tim Wakefield
21 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-14, 14:37

It's very complicated.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by Guest 2016-02-14, 14:46

Obama should make the recess appointment, it would set off a firestorm but ultimately would be less divisive.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-14, 17:48

Lol, politicians.

Chuck Schumer in 2007:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 YH5H7Ps

Chuck Schumer in 2016:

Chuck Schumer opens can of whoop-ass on Ted Cruz for threatening to block Obama court appointment

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-14, 17:53

LooseGoose wrote:Obama should make the recess appointment, it would set off a firestorm but ultimately would be less divisive.

He should just make an appointment. I do not know why so many Rs are so concerned. So many of them talk about honoring the Constitution. Article II gives the president the power to make appointments with the "advise and consent of the Senate." Just do it. He does not have to, nor should he, wait.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-14, 18:21

LooseGoose wrote:Lol, politicians.

Chuck Schumer in 2007:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 YH5H7Ps

Chuck Schumer in 2016:

Chuck Schumer opens can of whoop-ass on Ted Cruz for threatening to block Obama court appointment

Well said. I asked early in this thread what if a moderate is nominated? Whether that's so or not should give the American people an idea as to how close minded and hateful some of these guys are. They're children with bad tempers and we've elected them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-02-14, 18:37

'Antonin' is a pretty cool name.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-15, 08:21

Tim Wakefield wrote:'Antonin' is a pretty cool name.

Right now I'm picturing one of his mob buddies talking to him after ruling against something that would help his "business".

"Hey, yo! Tony! Why you gotta be bustin' my balls ova hea?"
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-15, 08:53

Sounds like an evil man to me.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 CbIbZjEW8AAT41_

From a 2010 speech.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-15, 09:03

Antonin Scalia Will Be Remembered as One of the Greats

Mark Joseph Stern is a writer for Slate. He covers the law and LGBTQ issues.

Liberals—and, as a shorthand, many journalists—labeled Scalia a “conservative.” That was true as far as political temperament went; from his notorious friendship with Dick Cheney to his thinly veiled delight at the outcome of Bush v. Gore, Scalia was a Republican at heart. But to call him nothing more than a “conservative” would be to overlook the remarkable nuance and complexity of his jurisprudence. Scalia cast a decisive vote in the most important free speech case of the 1980s, Texas v. Johnson, which held that flag burning qualified as constitutionally protected expression. He wrote the landmark majority opinion in 2011’s Brown v. EMA, a double victory for First Amendment advocates that protected both depictions of violence and minors’ rights. And he dissented in Maryland v. King, arguing that the Fourth Amendment forbids law enforcement from collecting DNA from arrestees. (His fierce dissent sounds like it could have sprung from the pen of Edward Snowden.)

Despite his King vote, Scalia was widely viewed by many Americans as a harshly law-and-order justice. Again, that label is simply inaccurate. In many contexts, Scalia was extraordinarily protective of Americans’ right to privacy—though he himself would never use that term. He wrote the majority opinion in Kyllo v. United States, a 5-4 ruling that barred police from peeping into a home with a thermal-imaging device. He also wrote the majority opinion in Florida v. Jardines (another 5-4 decision), barring police from entering private property with a drug-sniffing dog without a warrant. Time and time again, he cast votes to protect drivers from intrusive car searches by law enforcement. Just last term, he sided against the police in a landmark ruling that restored constitutional rights to motorists illegally detained by cops.

And then there’s his view of the Confrontation Clause, which guarantees every criminal defendant the right “to be confronted with the witnesses against him.” The Framers of the Constitution intended the clause to forbid hearsay in the courtroom, allowing every defendant to cross-examine, under oath, those who offer testimonial evidence against him. Before Scalia joined the court, this crucial safeguard against faulty trial testimony had been reduced to a constitutional vestigial limb. As a justice, Scalia embarked on an astonishing and almost entirely successful crusade to restore the clause’s place in the pantheon of civil liberties. In a series of landmark rulings—many authored by Scalia himself—he endeavored to halt the trend of prosecutors introducing dubious hearsay evidence against defendants. This crusade often aligned the justice with unexpected allies, such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg (with whom he was great friends) and Sonia Sotomayor (with whom he was not). And just last term, Scalia took on his frequent ideological bedmate, Justice Samuel Alito, when he sensed Alito “shoveling … fresh dirt” on the newly restored right. The Confrontation Clause was Scalia’s fight; if he had to vote with Sotomayor or against Alito to reach the right result, so be it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 09:05

I wonder if he's getting sodomized in hell yet?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-15, 09:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I wonder if he's getting sodomized in hell yet?

We are at Defcon 1 people! The Goose/Bob war is about to go nuclear.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 09:09

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600

to be some big, bad god-fearin', gun-lovin' republican 'ol Goose is awfully sensitive..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-15, 09:17

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Nope. Bob is doing a fine job of showing what a jackass he is with that comment, needs no help from me.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 09:24

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Nope. Bob is doing a fine job of showing what a jackass he is with that comment, needs no help from me.

bump..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-15, 09:37

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Here comes the kid that won't stop humming in the car. This thread will suck now. Be joyed it this weekend. Buh bye.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 09:54

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Here comes the kid that won't stop humming in the car. This thread will suck now. Be joyed it this weekend. Buh bye.
I just know that the colored boy is gonna nominate someone just like him.. maybe even another colored.. to the highest court in the land.

And we, as America-lovin', jesus-fearin' patriots, just can't allow that to happen.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 10:13

steveschneider wrote:How long before some conspiracy nut blames Obama for Scalia's death?
the Drudge headline right now:

SCALIA FOUND WITH PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD

seriously. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 10:15

hold the phone.. according to Drudge, not only was SCALIA FOUND WITH PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD but he also...

Refused Security Detail While at Ranch

with a colored boy in the White House and a woman who killed 4 brave Americans with her email server in Benghazi, I don't like the way this feels.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-15, 10:21

Alex Jones is going to have a field day with this.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-02-15, 10:23

LooseGoose wrote:Sounds like an evil man to me.

From a 2010 speech.

From a 2008 dissent:

Justice Antonin Scalia, dissenting wrote:
This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is “actually” innocent.

In re Troy Anthony Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009)

Innocence be damned. If the law says you're a dead man walking, by God, so shall you be, according to the late Justice Scalia.

I rejoice over the death of no man. I do rejoice over the possibility, because that's all it is, that the country's highest court will no longer elevate form over what that form was meant to protect, to wit, life, liberty, and the pursuit of freedom.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 10:25

SpartanInNH wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Sounds like an evil man to me.

From a 2010 speech.

From a 2008 dissent:

Justice Antonin Scalia, dissenting wrote:
This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is “actually” innocent.

In re Troy Anthony Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009)

Innocence be damned. If the law says you're a dead man walking, by God, so shall you be, according to the late Justice Scalia.

I rejoice over the death of no man. I do rejoice over the possibility, because that's all it is, that the country's highest court will no longer elevate form over what that form was meant to protect, to wit, life, liberty, and the pursuit of freedom.
he sounds like a fine, upstanding man with strongly held pro-life beliefs.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-15, 10:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:hold the phone.. according to Drudge, not only was SCALIA FOUND WITH PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD but he also...

with a colored boy in the White House and a woman who killed 4 brave Americans with her email server in Benghazi, I don't like the way this feels.

Does the Drudge Report have the same web designer as FinalFourU?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 10:29

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:hold the phone.. according to Drudge, not only was SCALIA FOUND WITH PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD but he also...

Does the Drudge Report have the same web designer as FinalFourU?

not sure, but I suspect that their target audience is pretty similar.. folks with a 4th grade reading level who has a very intense aversion to words with more than one syllable.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-15, 10:32

It's painful to look at and is really distracting. It's like a Denny's menu.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2016-02-15, 10:39

Asphyxywank all day long. No doubt a random household object rammed up his ass as well.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-15, 10:56

I do not want to disrupt the narrative we have going that he was a monster, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/politics/antonin-scalia-ruth-bader-ginsburg-friends/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-justice-antonin-scalia-we-were-best-n518671

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2016-02-15, 11:05

Turtleneck wrote:I do not want to disrupt the narrative we have going that he was a monster, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/14/politics/antonin-scalia-ruth-bader-ginsburg-friends/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-justice-antonin-scalia-we-were-best-n518671

You can have a terrible effect on the country and still be a great guy to have a beer with. Just ask Bob.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 11:07

SpartanInNH wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I do not want to disrupt the narrative we have going that he was a monster, but...

You can have a terrible effect on the country and still be a great guy to have a beer with. Just ask Bob.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-02-15, 11:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:How long before some conspiracy nut blames Obama for Scalia's death?
the Drudge headline right now:

SCALIA FOUND WITH PILLOW OVER HIS HEAD

seriously. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600

A news site creating a click bait title?

Never, ever, have I seen that before.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 13:31

Michele Bachmann - Sarah Palin's smarter sister - referred to him as "Anthony Scalia" on Twitter.. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-15, 13:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Michele Bachmann - Sarah Palin's smarter sister - referred to him as "Anthony Scalia" on Twitter.. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600

Yeah, I am not so sure about the "smarter" angle you're going with.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 13:35

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Michele Bachmann - Sarah Palin's smarter sister - referred to him as "Anthony Scalia" on Twitter.. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 502811600

Wink

I think it's a race to the bottom for those two. Just the way republicans like their women.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-15, 13:37

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Wink

I think it's a race to the bottom for those two. Just the way republicans like their women.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 150910-debbie-wasserman-schultz-ap-1160
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-15, 13:47

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Wink

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 150910-debbie-wasserman-schultz-ap-1160

Is that Hillary's prettier sister?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-15, 13:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Is that Hillary's prettier sister?
I think it's Scalia's beard.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-16, 14:23

The truth is out there....

Did Leonard Nimoy Have Antonin Scalia Killed to Give Obama Enough Supreme Court Votes to Cancel the 2016 Election?
http://harddawn.com/nimoy-and-obama-killed-scalia/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-18, 10:23

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 CbMpN1eUAAAqDYA
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-19, 10:30

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 1h1 hour ago
Former law clerks of Justice Scalia await arrival of his casket at the Supreme Court.

Shannon Bream ‏@ShannonBream 1h1 hour ago
Former Scalia clerks lining the stairs, serving as honorary pallbearers.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 CblXurDUsAAjoFL
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-19, 10:36

LooseGoose wrote:Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 1h1 hour ago
Former law clerks of Justice Scalia await arrival of his casket at the Supreme Court.

Shannon Bream ‏@ShannonBream 1h1 hour ago
Former Scalia clerks lining the stairs, serving as honorary pallbearers.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 4 CblXurDUsAAjoFL
I was really hoping someone would copy/paste news from this event.. thanks!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-19, 10:38

When are the capitol dome renovations going to be finished up? It looks stupid.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next