Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

+17
Watch Out Pylon!
Cameron
SpartanInNH
xsanguine
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Gomer
Vlad
steveschneider
Rocinante
Turtleneck
tGreenWay
pulling69
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
Tim Wakefield
21 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:03

Imma just sit back and watch loose and Roc. Two of the most uneducated folks in the political science realm trying to explain to me what is going to happen is hilarious!

Last edited by SpartanDawgs265 on 2016-02-13, 18:04; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-02-13, 18:03

LooseGoose wrote:Here's the political calculus for Obama/Democrats.

If he nominates a blatant liberal like Sotomayer/Kagan/Ginsburg/Breyer then the Republican Senate will come under enormous pressure from their base not to approve them until the election and if the R's win to never approve them.

If he nominates a centrist/moderate there will be some pressure for the Senate to approve - especially if he goes with some sort of "historic" type nominee - Hispanic/Jewish/Gay/Woman/Black - (and yes I know none of them would be firsts).

So do they go for the liberal and risk getting nothing or go for the moderate and move the court left? Because any moderate definitely moves the court left from Scalia.

Will be interesting. If I were a dem, I'd take the net gain of Scalia being gone and call it a day. They're up a couple hundred at the roulette table right now..do they go for more?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-13, 18:04

I can't imagine there are not detailed contingency plans for this situation that every president has drawn up.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:04

Tim Wakefield wrote:What are the odds Obama himself ends up getting the job?

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 1966794946 That would be hilarious and awesome. Hills wins and makes the announcement the day after her swearing-in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:06

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Feel free to leave anytime.

Stop quoting me bitch. Nothing is free.

You didnt get permission to post, so STFU.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-13, 18:07

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/13/10987012/should-obama-replace-scalia
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-13, 18:09

tGreenWay wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:What are the odds Obama himself ends up getting the job?

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 1966794946 That would be hilarious and awesome. Hills wins and makes the announcement the day after her swearing-in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/26/could-obama-be-the-next-supreme-court-justice-hillary-clinton-is-intrigued/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:09

Sean T at RCP ‏@SeanTrende 6m6 minutes ago
I believe this will be the first time a Republican Senate heard a Democratic SCOTUS appointee since Rufus Peckham in 1895.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:11

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:Imma just sit back and watch loose and Roc. Two of the most uneducated folks in the political science realm trying to explain to me what is going to happen is hilarious!

lol, ok Einstein.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-13, 18:16

How long before some conspiracy nut blames Obama for Scalia's death?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:19

Carl Bialik ‏@CarlBialik 29m29 minutes ago
Scalia liberalized somewhat from his extremely conservative positions in the late 1990s http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/supreme-court-justices-get-more-liberal-as-they-get-older/ …

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 CbIRmReWEAI5Ion
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:20

I got clay thompson winning 3 point contest, isiah thomas winning skills, Lavine repeating as slam dunk champion.  They usually do that teammate thing to but I don't know the picks for that.

Last edited by SpartanDawgs265 on 2016-02-13, 18:21; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-13, 18:21

LooseGoose wrote:Carl Bialik ‏@CarlBialik 29m29 minutes ago
Scalia liberalized somewhat from his extremely conservative positions in the late 1990s http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/supreme-court-justices-get-more-liberal-as-they-get-older/ …

The scale is completely arbitrary though. I mean it has to be by definition, right?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-13, 18:23

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:They usually do that teammate thing to but I don't know the picks for that.

Just let the rub n tug bitches tagteam you and your bros in the ass again. High fives all around!
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:25

Rocinante wrote:I can't imagine there are not detailed contingency plans for this situation that every president has drawn up.

It's no secret that all presidents keep lists of SCOTUS replacements. Some potential nominees will have been vetted more than others, possibly because they've been considered previously. By tomorrow, you'll hear some intentionally leaked names being floated as trial balloons.

I somewhat agree with Goose that Bayh and Lieberman might get a chance with this Senate, but the Dems would hate either pick because they're more Conservative than moderate.
I just don't see the Republican Party torch-bearers and leading voices allowing Obama a chance to sit another Justice, and the loudest shouters will be Cruz and Trump. Nobody on the Right wants to let BHO anywhere near a victory.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:27

pulling69 wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:They usually do that teammate thing to but I don't know the picks for that.

Just let the rub n tug bitches tagteam you and your bros in the ass again. High fives all around!

I was thinking about it actually. Think they are open til 1 am. I had a bank card sent to my house that has mailed forwarded to another house where my parents are at. They sent me the bank card and put 800 dollars in the envelope. When I opened it today, I was like fuck yea, were going to the spa.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:27

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Carl Bialik ‏@CarlBialik 29m29 minutes ago

The scale is completely arbitrary though. I mean it has to be by definition, right?

Sort of, but it is 538 which shoots pretty straight although they're all liberals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-13, 18:30

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

I was thinking about it actually.  Think they are open til 1 am.  I had a bank card sent to my house that has mailed forwarded to another house where my parents are at.  They sent me the bank card and put 800 dollars in the envelope.  When I opened it today, I was like fuck yea, were going to the spa.

You got to be a special kind of stupid to send 800 cash in the mail
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:31

tGreenWay wrote:I somewhat agree with Goose that Bayh and Lieberman might get a chance with this Senate, but the Dems would hate either pick because they're more Conservative than moderate.

Well either would be a significant shift left from Scalia, and that's the choice Obama has. That shift or the next President if a Republican naming a Ted Cruz or Mike Lee to the court. And Senators are notorious for showing deference to sitting or former Senators.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-13, 18:32

Say hello, or should I say namaste, to your next justice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Srinivasan
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:35

pulling69 wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

I was thinking about it actually.  Think they are open til 1 am.  I had a bank card sent to my house that has mailed forwarded to another house where my parents are at.  They sent me the bank card and put 800 dollars in the envelope.  When I opened it today, I was like fuck yea, were going to the spa.

I mean its 8 100's. No one knows whats in it when the money is inside a letter from the bank. Plus, they know my mailbox has key needed at apartment complex. Yea usually they just transfer money online but as you can tell I had no bank card and temp bank card had expired. However, my grandpa sends checks in the mail for 20,000 to me. He doesn't seem to care. But he's fitly rich, whatevs. Carry on.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-02-13, 18:36

There are very people who I would say this for, I hope he rots in hell!

Gonna have to open a nice single malt tonight to celebrate.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:41

pulling69 wrote:
SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

At least we know how SD got extra stupid. It came from both sides of his family. The kid never stood a chance.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:44

tGreenWay wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

At least we know how SD gets extra pussy.  He get his looks and money from both sides of his family.  The kid was too big to fail

FTFY*
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:47

Vlad wrote:There are very people who I would say this for, I hope he rots in hell!

Wow.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 18:47

Ross Douthat ‏@DouthatNYT  2h2 hours ago
Politics aside, we should all die full of years, with 28 grandchildren, in our sleep after quail hunting. Antonin Scalia RIP.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-13, 18:49

"Quail hunting"? I smell liberal conspiracy.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:54

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I somewhat agree with Goose that Bayh and Lieberman might get a chance with this Senate, but the Dems would hate either pick because they're more Conservative than moderate.

Well either would be a significant shift left from Scalia, and that's the choice Obama has. That shift or the next President if a Republican naming a Ted Cruz or Mike Lee to the court. And Senators are notorious for showing deference to sitting or former Senators.

I agree that either name would be a shift left, but the loudest voices on the Left would scream bloody murder. And btw, those voices just don't have the cache of their counterparts on the Right. Meanwhile, you can bet that all of the presidential candidates on the Right, along with Limbaugh, Hannity, Billo, et al, will shout even louder against any Obama nominee than the Left will.

Obama shouldn't have to hold off, because he is the POTUS for a full 4-year second term, but politically, he probably should wait and hope to hell his gamble ends with another D in the WH. That new president will not only have stronger political capital, but possibly a more evenly divided Senate, if not the majority. Then, they'll be able to send a more desirable (liberal) nominee to the Hill.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 18:56

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

At least we know how SD gets extra pussy.  He get his looks and money from both sides of his family.  The kid was too big to fail

FTFY*

That's original. You're boilerplate boring.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 19:04

Vlad wrote:There are very people who I would say this for, I hope he rots in hell!

Youre a dick fuck. Seek professional help.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-13, 19:04

I don't speak ill of the dead, RIP Scalia. Will be interesting to see who Obama appoints next.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 19:07

tGreenWay wrote:

Youre a dick fuck. Seek professional help.

This was a typo, but it works, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-02-13, 19:09

pulling69 wrote:"Quail hunting"? I smell liberal conspiracy.
Liberal conspiracy? I'd check on Dick Cheney's whereabouts. It's almost 10 years to the date that he shot that last guy in the face Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 502811600
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 19:10

If Obama thinks he can't get a confirmation would he try a recess appointment? That would REALLY poison the well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-02-13, 19:12

LooseGoose wrote:If Obama thinks he can't get a confirmation would he try a recess appointment? That would REALLY poison the well.
What could possibly warrant dragging this on more than 3X longer than the previous longest confirmation?
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-02-13, 19:15

LooseGoose wrote:If Obama thinks he can't get a confirmation would he try a recess appointment? That would REALLY poison the well.

Is that even allowed? I've never heard of it for the SCOTUS.
And it probably couldn't happen anyway, as ML McConnell would keep the Senate in session, making some junior Senator show up. Or, maybe even more likely, someone like Cruz would insist on being allowed to stay in session so he could grandstand in front of the cams.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-13, 19:17

Gomer wrote:
pulling69 wrote:"Quail hunting"? I smell liberal conspiracy.
Liberal conspiracy?  I'd check on Dick Cheney's whereabouts.  It's almost 10 years to the date that he shot that last guy in the face Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead - Page 2 502811600
Shocked lol!
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 19:17

Gomer wrote:
What could possibly warrant dragging this on more than 3X longer than the previous longest confirmation?

1st the right of the Senate to reject a nominee is as strong as the right of the President to nominate. Both of those powers stem from elections won. The last 5(!) rejected nominees were Republicans rejected by Democrat controlled Senates. So I'd say those nominees waited longer than 10 months.

As far as what would warrant it? Politics. And a HUGE shift of the court - this is realistically more important in the long run than who wins the White House.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-13, 19:19

tGreenWay wrote:

Is that even allowed? I've never heard of it for the SCOTUS.
And it probably couldn't happen anyway, as ML McConnell would keep the Senate in session, making some junior Senator show up. Or, maybe even more likely, someone like Cruz would insist on being allowed to stay in session so he could grandstand in front of the cams.

Yes it is...last one to do it was Eisenhower.

And now you're right, they're scheduled to be in recess and I doubt McConnell allows it to happen now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-13, 19:31

LooseGoose wrote:
Gomer wrote:

1st the right of the Senate to reject a nominee is as strong as the right of the President to nominate. Both of those powers stem from elections won. The last 5(!) rejected nominees were Republicans rejected by Democrat controlled Senates. So I'd say those nominees waited longer than 10 months.

As far as what would warrant it? Politics. And a HUGE shift of the court - this is realistically more important in the long run than who wins the White House.

Well, I mean, it's been like 120 years since the last time a Democrat president nominated with a Republican Congress. So "5(!)" is really more like 5(.) I just like accurate punctuation goose.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next