Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?

+11
Floyd Robertson
The_Dude
Rocinante
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
steveschneider
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
Watch Out Pylon!
Vlad
DWags
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?  Empty Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 07:38

Tough question for me. I mean fuck the terrorists, but government forcing a private company to help them is bothersome to me. That's a slippery slope in my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?  Empty Re: Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?

Post by Vlad 2016-02-17, 08:42

Private companies operating in the USA still have an obligation to contribute to the health and safety on fellow Americans. Just because they're "privately" owned doesn't mean they can ignore the threats we all face, or refuse to help where they can.

This is a non-issue.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?  Empty Re: Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-17, 08:50

DWags wrote:Tough question for me. I mean fuck the terrorists, but government forcing a private company to help them is bothersome to me. That's a slippery slope in my opinion.

Are you sure this isn't already happening?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 08:54

Apple isn't a private company. I mean, I know what you meant, I think. But they are public. Let's use the right terminology.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-17, 08:55

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Apple isn't a private company. I mean, I know what you meant, I think. But they are public. Let's use the right terminology.

I'd like to publicly kick your ass.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 08:57

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Apple isn't a private company. I mean, I know what you meant, I think. But they are public. Let's use the right terminology.

Weak. You need new material. You're getting soft.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-17, 09:00

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

It's early, coffee is still kicking in. Give me some time, about as much as momma Cosmos gave me last night.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 09:05

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

It's early, coffee is still kicking in. Give me some time, about as much as momma Cosmos gave me last night.

Seriously though, are you trying to go the "am woods ex" route with this? Just curious. If you don't know what that means, let me know.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 09:07

Vlad wrote:Private companies operating in the USA still have an obligation to contribute to the health and safety on fellow Americans. Just because they're "privately" owned doesn't mean they can ignore the threats we all face, or refuse to help where they can.

This is a non-issue.

That's what the judge said. It's worth debating imo.

The other end of that is where does it end as far as government saying they need to get into our phones?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-17, 09:07

DWags wrote:Tough question for me. I mean fuck the terrorists, but government forcing a private company to help them is bothersome to me. That's a slippery slope in my opinion.

My guess is the info was already obtained. Whatever "story" is being floated is just a cover.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-17, 09:08

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Seriously though, are you trying to go the "am woods ex" route with this? Just curious. If you don't know what that means, let me know.

I don't like "I'm Cooler Than You" Travis. It's the worst kind of Travis, and that's saying something.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 09:10

I don't want the government snooping around on my iPhone. Once you create a back door on a phone then it's easily accessed The government trying to force Apple to do this goes against what our freedoms are all about. I'd rather live free with risks in life than to live safe at the expense of our freedoms.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 09:12

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I don't like "I'm Cooler Than You" Travis. It's the worst kind of Travis, and that's saying something.

Stop trying to beat it to death, that's all I'm saying. #realtalk
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-02-17, 09:13

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Stop trying to beat it to death, that's all I'm saying. #realtalk

We need to hug it out, broseph. #brohug
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 09:20

steveschneider wrote:I don't want the government snooping around on my iPhone. Once you create a back door on a phone then it's easily accessed The government trying to force Apple to do this goes against what our freedoms are all about. I'd rather live free with risks in life than to live safe at the expense of our freedoms.

I guess I'm pretty much with this. I get how it's important to thwart terrorism. But I just think we need to step lightly as to how much power we relinquish to government in doing so. Freedom does involve risks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-02-17, 09:32

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I don't want the government snooping around on my iPhone. Once you create a back door on a phone then it's easily accessed The government trying to force Apple to do this goes against what our freedoms are all about. I'd rather live free with risks in life than to live safe at the expense of our freedoms.

I guess I'm pretty much with this. I get how it's important to thwart terrorism. But I just think we need to step lightly as to how much power we relinquish to government in doing so. Freedom does involve risks.

So risk more terrorist attacks in exchange for a little more freedom? This is pretty much why/how terrorist cells are operating in this country; they're using our own freedom to attack us. Those fucking 9/11 hijackers...they took FLYING LESSONS down in Florida fer cryin' out loud!

Sorry dwags, I'll trust my elected officials any day over letting terrorists use our freedom for their own twisted agenda. Yes, I understand the fears of letting government get too much into out business, but I'm not one who loses sleep over that. Generally, I trust my government and feel that there are enough checks and balances to prevent that.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 09:33

NigelUno wrote:

My guess is the info was already obtained. Whatever "story" is being floated is just a cover.

This. They do what they want and figure out the details later.

Apple was never given a choice.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 09:34

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

So risk more terrorist attacks in exchange for a little more freedom?

Yes.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-02-17, 09:39

Fuck the government.
Fuck the terrorists.

Tim Cook Opposes Order for Apple to Unlock iPhone, Setting Up Showdown

I agree with Wags on the slope shit...I'm sort of in the middle on this though. I don't think that someone should be required to let the government in to incriminate themselves. I do see the value in a case like this where the owner of the data is dead and perhaps we could stop another attack. Any law to support doing this would need to draw a firm line somewhere in there.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-02-17, 09:52

Yes, let's protect our freedom, to the extent that we end up offering it to terrorist too. Why not? We're such a giving nation.

Let's not waterboard 'em. That's not nice.
Let's not carpet bomb their cities. Not nice.
Let's not put more restriction on them entering our country. Un-American.
Let's not tap their phones. Our government might turn it around on us.

I know! Let's have a conversation about what else we can do. Because conversations are what we need.

Sorry, I'm on Trump's slide here.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 10:08

Vlad wrote:Yes, let's protect our freedom, to the extent that we end up offering it to terrorist too. Why not? We're such a giving nation.

I know! Let's have a conversation about what else we can do. Because conversations are what we need.

I'm down to torture someone who attempts to kill multiple people randomly, for sure, I mean like twist their ballsacks around with chicken wire or put a wet electric rod in their pee hole and turn it on, or we could put sharp toothed rodents up their booty holes or something, I'm down, really.... I'm just not down to fuck with all the people that have nothing to do with it in hopes we find that needle in the haystack.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 10:12

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

So risk more terrorist attacks in exchange for a little more freedom? This is pretty much why/how terrorist cells are operating in this country; they're using our own freedom to attack us. Those fucking 9/11 hijackers...they took FLYING LESSONS down in Florida fer cryin' out loud!

Sorry dwags, I'll trust my elected officials any day over letting terrorists use our freedom for their own twisted agenda. Yes, I understand the fears of letting government get too much into out business, but I'm not one who loses sleep over that. Generally, I trust my government and feel that there are enough checks and balances to prevent that.

Except we've witnessed people being black listed and jobs lost already in this country because of the fear of communism. All I'm saying is, let's take a deep breath here.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 10:19

Vlad wrote:Yes, let's protect our freedom, to the extent that we end up offering it to terrorist too. Why not? We're such a giving nation.

Let's say sodomy becomes an illegal act in your state. Let's say you enjoy getting it up the ass. Are you good with the governments ability to find those pictures on your phone and arrest you for that?

I get your point about the masses safety vs something petty like that, but if it becomes a slippery slope in our country we all could be taking it up the ass.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 10:21

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sorry dwags, I'll trust my elected officials any day over letting terrorists use our freedom for their own twisted agenda. Yes, I understand the fears of letting government get too much into out business, but I'm not one who loses sleep over that.  Generally, I trust my government and feel that there are enough checks and balances to prevent that.

What's the risk of dying in a terrorist attack?

They are horrific deaths, and when you see them on the news cycle everyone is appalled. Yes, we have to stand up to it and do what we can to prevent the attacks. That being said your risk of dying in one is less than being crushed by furniture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/23/youre-more-likely-to-be-fatally-crushed-by-furniture-than-killed-by-a-terrorist/

Also, I watched the Tim Cook interview on 60 Minutes. Once you create that back door on iPhones then it's becomes easier for hackers to get your data. No thank you.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-02-17, 10:25

xsanguine wrote:

I'm down to torture someone who attempts to kill multiple people randomly, for sure, I mean like twist their ballsacks around with chicken wire or put a wet electric rod in their pee hole and turn it on, or we could put sharp toothed rodents up their booty holes or something, I'm down, really.... I'm just not down to fuck with all the people that have nothing to do with it in hopes we find that needle in the haystack.

That's kind of the nature of needles in haystacks, they just don't like to give themselves up. You gotta really put an effort into finding 'em.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-02-17, 10:30

DWags wrote:

Let's say sodomy becomes an illegal act in your state. Let's say you enjoy getting it up the ass. Are you good with the governments ability to find those pictures on your phone and arrest you for that?

I get your point about the masses safety vs something petty like that, but if it becomes a slippery slope in our country we all could be taking it up the ass.

If you get my point, let's leave it at that. We can either deal with reality (increasing risk of terrorism within our borders, an estimated 300 sleeper cells operating right here in the USofA) or paint petty hypotheticals.

I'd rather deal with the present-day threat, and deal with the hypotherical if/when it happens. As I said, I'll trust my elected officials before I extend my freedoms to terrorists.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-02-17, 10:31

Vlad wrote:
DWags wrote:

If you get my point, let's leave it at that. We can either deal with reality (increasing risk of terrorism within our borders, an estimated 300 sleeper cells operating right here in the USofA) or paint petty hypotheticals.

I'd rather deal with the present-day threat, and deal with the hypotherical if/when it happens. As I said, I'll trust my elected officials before I extend my freedoms to terrorists.

Hollywood ten says hi.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-17, 10:31

Shockingly, I disagree with Vlad here. Dude trusts his government way too much - see what happens when people did that in Flint?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-17, 10:33

The conspiracy theory of the cover story is interesting, and probably true. But if it wasn't, why couldn't Apple negotiate to back door this one phone, their own engineers actually do the cracking and extract the data, and the software stays with them?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 10:34

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Shockingly, I disagree with Vlad here. Dude trusts his government way too much - see what happens when people did that in Flint?

I agree. A large part of that is that I think statements like "an estimated 300 terror cells operating in the US" is a gigantic pile of bullshit/hyperbole. If there are that many, why haven't they done anything in 15 years? How do you define terror cell? Reeks of lies to get you to let them do what they want to you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 10:35

Vlad wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

That's kind of the nature of needles in haystacks, they just don't like to give themselves up. You gotta really put an effort into finding 'em.

It's kind of like the drug war. We need to look at other ways of dealing with the root problem... Otherwise we're going to be playing whack a mole and who knows what freedom needs to be sacrificed next year as the flavor of the week.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 10:43

Create a back door, wait until chinese hackers are getting into your phone stealing your data.

Terrible idea.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 10:43

xsanguine wrote:
Vlad wrote:

It's kind of like the drug war. We need to look at other ways of dealing with the root problem... Otherwise we're going to be playing whack a mole and who knows what freedom needs to be sacrificed next year as the flavor of the week.

Start treating drug addiction as a medical problem, not a criminal problem.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-17, 10:44

steveschneider wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

#SteveFeelsTheBern
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-02-17, 10:45

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

#SteveFeelsTheBern

Should Apple be forced to open suspected terrorists cell phone to the FBI?  969504605
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-17, 10:54

I can't believe anyone is arguing that terrorist sympathizers who killed the shit out of American Citizens on American soil should have their privacy protected. There's ways to do this without letting the genie out of the bottle.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-02-17, 10:56

Rocinante wrote:I can't believe anyone is arguing that terrorist sympathizers who killed the shit out of American Citizens on American soil should have their privacy protected. There's ways to do this without letting the genie out of the bottle.

Are there? Cause, like, that's the actual issue. Not the other part. Just the genie part. Not so sure that everyone buys your "oh it'll just be the terrorists for reals" statement.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 10:59

Rocinante wrote:I can't believe anyone is arguing that terrorist sympathizers who killed the shit out of American Citizens on American soil should have their privacy protected. There's ways to do this without letting the genie out of the bottle.

You and your racist puns. What's next... You're going to refer to them all as Aladdin?

I'm onto you, Abu.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-17, 11:00

steveschneider wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Like..... Chyah!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-02-17, 11:01

Are there? Cause, like, that's the actual issue. Not the other part. Just the genie part. Not so sure that everyone buys your "oh it'll just be the terrorists for reals" statement.

The thing is, I'm fairly certain the Patriot Act makes the denial of this order impossible. Apple is just making a show of it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next