Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not! Jeb!

+12
Dr. Strangelove
Cameron
xsanguine
CORNER BLITZ
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
DWags
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Not! Jeb! - Page 3 Empty Re: Not! Jeb!

Post by Turtleneck Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

xsanguine wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I do not believe.

You caught me. I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of who nominated the justices, just their "leanings".

I am simply working with what you give me, X.

First, I do not believe that you had any clue as to who was among the majority or who dissented.

Second, you are the one who said you have concerns about the potential direction of the court if a liberal leaning justice is added. Your concerns are fair and legitimate. When pressed about what would be so great about a conservative judge, you cited Florida v. Jardines as a good conservative decision. I simply pointed out - not based on who nominated who - that the two justices thought to be the most liberal of the nine contributed to the majority decision.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

You caught me. I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of who nominated the justices, just their "leanings".

I am simply working with what you give me, X.

First, I do not believe that you had any clue as to who was among the majority or who dissented.

Second, you are the one who said you have concerns about the potential direction of the court if a liberal leaning justice is added. Your concerns are fair and legitimate. When pressed about what would be so great about a conservative judge, you cited Florida v. Jardines as a good conservative decision. I simple pointed out - not based on who nominated who - that the two justices thought to be the most liberal of the nine contributed a the decision you agree with.

tl;dr - I was joking about the 'yes' answer. But I do not fear righty authoritarianism at the moment because I don't believe the political climate is such that they could put through their extremist guy whereas I do feel the political climate is such that the left could succeed in putting through their extremist guy.

I give you plenty to work with. The problem is I keep thinking I'm making it obvious that I'm just talking shit. You think a long-winded bloke like myself is going to just give you a one word answer?

There's a few cases I'm familiar with. I'm not a lawyer and I'm not even particularly interested in law... but I pay attention to cases regarding things I've an interest in. I incorrectly stated I was familiar with the fact that Obama's nominees were part of the majority opinion (I'm familiar with who voted what, though)... I honestly didn't feel this was much of an issue and just wanted to move past it to get to the meat of my point. Don't believe me if you want, that's fine.
My point was and is that unless there's any cases that have gone completely underground or buried then I haven't really seen much righty authoritarianism occur from what would be seen as a right-leaning court. So I don't fear a righty court like I thought I would when Bush was going through the nomination process. So when I answer 'yes'... it's my "I don't feel like explaining my position but since you framed the question in that way instead of giving equivalence I guess I should unpack it now."
I just haven't seen an uprising like the one we've seen Hillary and Bernie pander to from the right. The religious people are still there but reduced themselves to a laughing stock the past 15 years. I think the same will happen with the people supporting Bernie but depending on how long that takes I fear a lifelong justice based on a phase.
I just don't think the right has the political equity to nominate someone that extreme to the right that the left has in nominating someone from the extreme side of the left.

I'm probably just spinning my wheels here because I think you want to argue with me over something else but I'm just trying to convey what I meant.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down