Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast

+10
I.B. Fine
CORNER BLITZ
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
Giant Moose
Dr. Strangelove
The Pantry
DWags
tGreenWay
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Empty Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 02:30

I rarely read Daily Kos, but a friend sent me this.

There's international research from 2010 suggesting the earth emits a cloud of CO in the days before an earthquake. Fast-forward to a few days ago, when a CO explosion on the West Coast released a gigantic cloud of the gas. So, is what happened a few days ago a precursor to a massive earthquake anywhere from southern CA all the way up into the PNW and into Canada?

I've posted links to the Daily Kos article, the 2010 research, and a YouTube video of some guy I've never heard of showing the satellite images of the CO release. He seems floored by the enormity of the size.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/29/1493107/--There-is-a-Major-Carbon-Monoxide-Explosion-on-the-West-Coast

http://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2010.13

I guess we'll have to wait and see, and hope there's nothing to this. OTOH, if you live out West, may God have mercy on your soul.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Empty Re: Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast

Post by DWags 2016-03-01, 06:24

We gone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Empty Re: Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast

Post by The Pantry 2016-03-01, 07:03

Interesting. Just sent links to folks I know out there
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-03-01, 08:57

I posted this a while back in a different thread.....but a good read if you like doom and gloom.

The Really Big One An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.

Just north of the San Andreas, however, lies another fault line. Known as the Cascadia subduction zone, it runs for seven hundred miles off the coast of the Pacific Northwest, beginning near Cape Mendocino, California, continuing along Oregon and Washington, and terminating around Vancouver Island, Canada. The “Cascadia” part of its name comes from the Cascade Range, a chain of volcanic mountains that follow the same course a hundred or so miles inland. The “subduction zone” part refers to a region of the planet where one tectonic plate is sliding underneath (subducting) another. Tectonic plates are those slabs of mantle and crust that, in their epochs-long drift, rearrange the earth’s continents and oceans. Most of the time, their movement is slow, harmless, and all but undetectable. Occasionally, at the borders where they meet, it is not.

Take your hands and hold them palms down, middle fingertips touching. Your right hand represents the North American tectonic plate, which bears on its back, among other things, our entire continent, from One World Trade Center to the Space Needle, in Seattle. Your left hand represents an oceanic plate called Juan de Fuca, ninety thousand square miles in size. The place where they meet is the Cascadia subduction zone. Now slide your left hand under your right one. That is what the Juan de Fuca plate is doing: slipping steadily beneath North America. When you try it, your right hand will slide up your left arm, as if you were pushing up your sleeve. That is what North America is not doing. It is stuck, wedged tight against the surface of the other plate.

Without moving your hands, curl your right knuckles up, so that they point toward the ceiling. Under pressure from Juan de Fuca, the stuck edge of North America is bulging upward and compressing eastward, at the rate of, respectively, three to four millimetres and thirty to forty millimetres a year. It can do so for quite some time, because, as continent stuff goes, it is young, made of rock that is still relatively elastic. (Rocks, like us, get stiffer as they age.) But it cannot do so indefinitely. There is a backstop—the craton, that ancient unbudgeable mass at the center of the continent—and, sooner or later, North America will rebound like a spring. If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. That’s the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one.

Flick your right fingers outward, forcefully, so that your hand flattens back down again. When the next very big earthquake hits, the northwest edge of the continent, from California to Canada and the continental shelf to the Cascades, will drop by as much as six feet and rebound thirty to a hundred feet to the west—losing, within minutes, all the elevation and compression it has gained over centuries. Some of that shift will take place beneath the ocean, displacing a colossal quantity of seawater. (Watch what your fingertips do when you flatten your hand.) The water will surge upward into a huge hill, then promptly collapse. One side will rush west, toward Japan. The other side will rush east, in a seven-hundred-mile liquid wall that will reach the Northwest coast, on average, fifteen minutes after the earthquake begins. By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-03-01, 08:58

LooseGoose wrote:I posted this a while back in a different thread.....but a good read if you like doom and gloom.

The Really Big One An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.

Just north of the San Andreas, however, lies another fault line. Known as the Cascadia subduction zone, it runs for seven hundred miles off the coast of the Pacific Northwest, beginning near Cape Mendocino, California, continuing along Oregon and Washington, and terminating around Vancouver Island, Canada. The “Cascadia” part of its name comes from the Cascade Range, a chain of volcanic mountains that follow the same course a hundred or so miles inland. The “subduction zone” part refers to a region of the planet where one tectonic plate is sliding underneath (subducting) another. Tectonic plates are those slabs of mantle and crust that, in their epochs-long drift, rearrange the earth’s continents and oceans. Most of the time, their movement is slow, harmless, and all but undetectable. Occasionally, at the borders where they meet, it is not.

Take your hands and hold them palms down, middle fingertips touching. Your right hand represents the North American tectonic plate, which bears on its back, among other things, our entire continent, from One World Trade Center to the Space Needle, in Seattle. Your left hand represents an oceanic plate called Juan de Fuca, ninety thousand square miles in size. The place where they meet is the Cascadia subduction zone. Now slide your left hand under your right one. That is what the Juan de Fuca plate is doing: slipping steadily beneath North America. When you try it, your right hand will slide up your left arm, as if you were pushing up your sleeve. That is what North America is not doing. It is stuck, wedged tight against the surface of the other plate.

Without moving your hands, curl your right knuckles up, so that they point toward the ceiling. Under pressure from Juan de Fuca, the stuck edge of North America is bulging upward and compressing eastward, at the rate of, respectively, three to four millimetres and thirty to forty millimetres a year. It can do so for quite some time, because, as continent stuff goes, it is young, made of rock that is still relatively elastic. (Rocks, like us, get stiffer as they age.) But it cannot do so indefinitely. There is a backstop—the craton, that ancient unbudgeable mass at the center of the continent—and, sooner or later, North America will rebound like a spring. If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. That’s the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one.

Flick your right fingers outward, forcefully, so that your hand flattens back down again. When the next very big earthquake hits, the northwest edge of the continent, from California to Canada and the continental shelf to the Cascades, will drop by as much as six feet and rebound thirty to a hundred feet to the west—losing, within minutes, all the elevation and compression it has gained over centuries. Some of that shift will take place beneath the ocean, displacing a colossal quantity of seawater. (Watch what your fingertips do when you flatten your hand.) The water will surge upward into a huge hill, then promptly collapse. One side will rush west, toward Japan. The other side will rush east, in a seven-hundred-mile liquid wall that will reach the Northwest coast, on average, fifteen minutes after the earthquake begins. By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

Em, you know who started that thread, and you all thought I was joking, but I'm legit worried about that shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-03-01, 09:07

Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Seven_superman_07
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 12:42

Bump for OTPT. You might want to buy some property, dude. You could be sitting on some glorious coastal views.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-01, 12:47

I'm not worried. The East Coast is all that matters anyway.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 12:49

Giant Moose wrote:I'm not worried. The East Coast is all that matters anyway.

You'll be six feet under water soon enough. All in good time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-03-01, 12:53

tGreenWay wrote:Bump for OTPT. You might want to buy some property, dude. You could be sitting on some glorious coastal views.

Or just drowning in debt.

Get it? Drowning. Cause ocean. And natural disaster. I'm so funny. Eat shit.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-03-01, 12:57

No time to worry about the west coast, we have our own deathstorm coming this afternoon in the mitten.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 13:03

What the fuck is CO?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-03-01, 13:05

Rocinante wrote:What the fuck is CO?

One carbon and one oxygen

Carbon monoxide
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 13:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Bump for OTPT. You might want to buy some property, dude. You could be sitting on some glorious coastal views.

Or just drowning in debt.

Get it? Drowning. Cause ocean. And natural disaster. I'm so funny. Eat shit.

You should put that on your tSwill resume.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 13:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:No time to worry about the west coast, we have our own deathstorm coming this afternoon in the mitten.

It's already here in EL, aka Mecca. We're getting slammed. Yesterday, they were calling for 3-6" and now it's 8-10". Fuckers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 13:13

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Rocinante wrote:What the fuck is CO?

Carbon monoxide

Bullshit.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-03-01, 13:16

Rocinante wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Carbon monoxide

Bullshit.

This
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 13:20

Rocinante wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Carbon monoxide

Bullshit.

Why? And keep in mind I favored the soft sciences. All I did was pass along what I read. So please elaborate. TIA.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 13:23

tGreenWay wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Bullshit.

Why? And keep in mind I favored the soft sciences. All I did was pass along what I read. So please elaborate. TIA.

Don't you hate it when you buy a new pair of shoes and they have great tread and you walk through some gravel on the street and then the tread is just full of the gravel? Fucking sucks man.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-03-01, 13:26

Rocinante wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Carbon monoxide

Bullshit.

Well at least it's not as dangerous as that Dihydrogen Monoxide shit.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 13:51

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Don't you hate it when you buy a new pair of shoes and they have great tread and you walk through some gravel on the street and then the tread is just full of the gravel? Fucking sucks man.

Welp, I hope you're correct. Like I said, I'm just passing along the story and the research.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 13:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:No time to worry about the west coast, we have our own deathstorm coming this afternoon in the mitten.

Nothing subtle about the snowfall now. It's coming straight down as if a dump truck dropped its load. You're screwed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-03-01, 14:00

tGreenWay wrote:

Nothing subtle about the snowfall now. It's coming straight down as if a dump truck dropped its load. You're screwed.

Same here so this is pretty widespread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 14:01

No, here's my real answer.  It's bullshit because 1). there is no scientific link between increased Carbon Monoxide as an indicator of earthquakes and 2). If you look at meteorological models of the west coast right now, there is every reason to believe that increased Carbon Monoxide is from emissions.  There is a stagnant mass of air hanging over the west coast that's been there for a while.

Sorry for being a dick tGreenway.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-03-01, 14:06

Rocinante wrote:No, here's my real answer.  It's bullshit because 1). there is no scientific link between increased Carbon Monoxide as an indicator of earthquakes and 2). If you look at meteorological models of the west coast right now, there is every reason to believe that increased Carbon Monoxide is from emissions.  There is a stagnant mass of air hanging over the west coast that's been there for a while.

So we're not going to have 22 million liberals surfboarding to Japan? Fuck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 14:07

Rocinante wrote:No, here's my real answer.  It's bullshit because 1). there is no scientific link between increased Carbon Monoxide as an indicator of earthquakes and 2). If you look at meteorological models of the west coast right now, there is every reason to believe that increased Carbon Monoxide is from emissions.  There is a stagnant mass of air hanging over the west coast that's been there for a while.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, there was no mention of stagnant air. For a science novice like me, seeing nothing there one day and then an enormous plume on the imagery the next day, it's enough to start wondering and ask questions. And don't worry about being a dick. It's what we do.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 14:08

LooseGoose wrote:

Surf party Vietnam
Surfing with the Vietcong
Cooking hot dogs with napalm
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-03-01, 14:09

Of course, if the big one comes tomorrow, I am denying that I said any of this stuff.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 14:13

LooseGoose wrote:

This has turned into a bad day for you, Goose. Sympathies.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 14:14

Rocinante wrote:Of course, if the big one comes tomorrow, I am denying that I said any of this stuff.

Mum's the word. Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast 55953254
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-03-01, 14:17

tGreenWay wrote:

The good news (maybe) is that I live about 30 miles south of the infamous I-69 corridor. Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast 1837840279

Maybe I'll even be able to make it home from work before it starts because so far, nothing's happening in the fair county of Macomb.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-03-01, 14:17

Rocinante wrote:Of course, if the big one comes tomorrow, I am denying that I said any of this stuff.
It's March. Nothing to worry about yet.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-03-01, 15:08

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The good news (maybe) is that I live about 30 miles south of the infamous I-69 corridor. Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast 1837840279

Maybe I'll even be able to make it home from work before it starts because so far, nothing's happening in the fair county of Macomb.
Saying only 1-3" here in Troy.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 15:16

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Saying only 1-3" here in Troy.

That's what I tell my wife every night before bed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 15:17

It's an oldie but a goodie.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 15:17

That's what she said.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2016-03-01, 15:40

tGreenWay wrote:That's what she said.  
She told me you're always exaggerating.
Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Rimshot
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 15:55

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:That's what she said.  
She told me you're always exaggerating.
Alt news: Major CO release may signal impending quake on West Coast Rimshot

Well, I did say 1-3". The 1 is right there at the front. Plus, she's a whore.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-03-01, 16:03

I had nachos yesterday.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-03-01, 16:04

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I had nachos yesterday.

That explains the major gas release.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next