Re: Gores & Gilbert will try to bring MLS team to Detroit

Post by Triple Sparty on 2016-04-26, 18:40

How big would a soccer stadium be?
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-26, 18:48

Triple Sparty wrote:How big would a soccer stadium be?

Too big to fail.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-04-26, 19:04

The area girls will be happy.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2016-04-26, 19:09

100% they win a football championship before the lions
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-04-26, 19:14

CORNER BLITZ wrote:100% they win a football championship before the lions

Don't get hurt so far on that limb.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-26, 19:16

LooseGoose wrote:The area girls will be happy.

This is a solid replacement for the Detroit Shock. I hope Travis can transfer his Shock season tickets over to the MLS team.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-04-26, 19:20

CORNER BLITZ wrote:100% they win a football championship before the lions

I wonder what kind of odds you could get on that? A non existent, not guaranteed to happen franchise to win a title before the Lions.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2016-04-26, 19:22

I think I'm going to pass on American professional soccer. Get it? Pass? That's fucking gold, but I'm on painkillers, so I could be wrong.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-04-26, 19:38

I'll never understand soccers appeal. Except for watching my kids' games back when they played in elementary and middle school, I find it boring as hell. Would much rather watch professional golf or tennis.

Went to a World Cup game at the Silverdome many years ago. My off-the-boat Italian FIL was a big soccer fan...claimed he and his buddies sometimes kicked skulls around like soccer balls back in WWII. Anyway, he bought tickets for everyone in the family to watch Italy play. Forget who they played and who won. To me, the most interesting part of the game was seeing the hybrid natural turf brought in from MSU that had been claimed to grow indoors.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-26, 20:00

The Pantry wrote:I'll never understand soccers appeal. Except for watching my kids' games back when they played in elementary and middle school, I find it boring as hell. Would much rather watch professional golf or tennis.

Went to a World Cup game at the Silverdome many years ago. My off-the-boat Italian FIL was a big soccer fan...claimed he and his buddies sometimes kicked skulls around like soccer balls back in WWII. Anyway, he bought tickets for everyone in the family to watch Italy play. Forget who they played and who won. To me, the most interesting part of the game was seeing the hybrid natural turf brought in from MSU that had been claimed to grow indoors.

I would not go that far.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2016-04-26, 20:03

Turtleneck wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I'll never understand soccers appeal. Except for watching my kids' games back when they played in elementary and middle school, I find it boring as hell. Would much rather watch professional golf or tennis.

I would not go that far.

Co-signed. I'd sooner pound my thumb with a hammer than watch golf.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-04-26, 20:09

Turtleneck hates golf cause his dad molested him with a 8 iron back in the day. True story.

Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-04-26, 20:41

Do you like baseball?

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-26, 20:46

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Turtleneck hates golf cause his dad molested him with a 8 iron back in the day. True story.

Why do you get so upset when people make fun of golf? Is it because you are insecure about the way you dress on Saturdays?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-26, 21:29

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2016/04/26/guess-new-soccer-stadium-fit-old-brewster-projects-site/

The news of Major League Soccer’s strong possibility that it will come to Detroit thanks to a super-billionaire team up of Quicken Loans owner Dan Gilbert and Tom Gores, venture capitalist and owner of the Detroit Pistons, has the city all abuzz.

Part of the discussion is where on earth would they put the new soccer stadium? Polls have it going on the Wayne County Jail site (which the county has categorically denied), the riverfront which is in hot demand for residential and a stadium isn’t the best use of land – or Corktown, or the old Uniroyal factory site by Belle Isle (both don’t fit in that walkability window) – but after kicking it around the answer might be right under our noses.

After doing some quick research, we found that pretty much every property near the Brewster-Wheeler recreation center, which is going to get a fancy new restaurant along with a new office for the super-popular Slow Roll Bike Ride, is owned by various entities the city controls, especially – wait for it – the Detroit Housing Commission.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-04-26, 21:40

I am not a fan of soccer but cool. The hipsters and millenials love it and would turn out in droves.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gHost Spartan on 2016-04-26, 22:30

English and Spanish soccer are the best leagues to watch, IMO. Those matches are great. When you have teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid playing each other, there is so much more going on than simply two top teams playing; Real Madrid represents "Spain" whereas Barcelona represents the independent spirit of Catalonia, firmly rooted against the Spanish crown. There is so much hatred and bitterness between the supporters of each club, it goes way beyond simply two teams. Athletic Bilbao is a Basque-only team in La Liga whose main rival is the other Basque team, Real Socieded. All of these teams are sport and political rivals. There is just so much meaning to these matches. The same is true in the English Premiership. Manchester City is the blue collar team whereas Man U is the elite rich people team. Soccer is fucking awesome but I admit I struggle to care much about MLS, I'd rather watch European soccer.
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-04-26, 23:06

gHost Spartan wrote:

English and Spanish soccer are the best leagues to watch, IMO. Those matches are great. When you have teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid playing each other, there is so much more going on than simply two top teams playing; Real Madrid represents "Spain" whereas Barcelona represents the independent spirit of Catalonia, firmly rooted against the Spanish crown. There is so much hatred and bitterness between the supporters of each club, it goes way beyond simply two teams. Athletic Bilbao is a Basque-only team in La Liga whose main rival is the other Basque team, Real Socieded. All of these teams are sport and political rivals. There is just so much meaning to these matches. The same is true in the English Premiership. Manchester City is the blue collar team whereas Man U is the elite rich people team. Soccer is fucking awesome but I admit I struggle to care much about MLS, I'd rather watch European soccer.

I agree very much with you ghost. I'd also throw out there "what he shit else am I doing at nine am on a weekend?"

But yeah, it's great once you get into it. The barrier is kind of high though, it took me awhile before I really appreciated it and picked rooting interests and such. I think I would be able to follow an MLS team if it were local, but I wouldn't care about them nearly as much as my European team who is like good at this stuff and stuff.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2016-04-27, 00:06

That emergency manager thing must have really worked if Detroit can throw money at another stadium.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on 2016-04-27, 10:20; edited 1 time in total

'Cause we done shared all of mine
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-04-27, 00:09

Dr. Strangelove wrote:That emergency manager think must have really worked if Detroit can throw money at another stadium.

I mean, how they are paying for it if they even are is very much not at all disclosed even slightly whatsoever. But let's just assume that that's how it's going down.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-04-27, 00:17

I've been to Barcelona's stadium. That was really neat. Ill post a pic!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-04-27, 00:23

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-04-27, 00:26

That's pretty cool otpt

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-04-27, 00:30

I've been to Canada. Windsor specifically. It was magnificent. No pictures.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor on 2016-04-27, 10:07

You watched Italy play in 94 at the Silverdome?
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-04-27, 10:11

I think an MLS franchise would work better in Grand Rapids - of course, with that would come the cost of building a stadium, etc.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 10:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I think an MLS franchise would work better in Grand Rapids - of course, with that would come the cost of building a stadium, etc.

If by MLS you mean Major League Sermons, then you are correct.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-04-27, 10:18

People go apeshit for that Detroit FC team. I've even had friends go who say it's a lot of fun. I'm sure a MLS team would do great in the D, as long as it's not too code to play.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 10:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:People go apeshit for that Detroit FC team. I've even had friends go who say it's a lot of fun. I'm sure a MLS team would do great in the D, as long as it's not too code to play.

It's so code in the D.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 10:34; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-04-27, 10:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:People go apeshit for that Detroit FC team. I've even had friends go who say it's a lot of fun. I'm sure a MLS team would do great in the D, as long as it's not too code to play.

I've probably gone to at least 10 or so Redbulls games. The main draw for me is the tickets are $9.00. I have a friend that's way into it and it's fun to go to drink and shoot the shit.

The games are pretty bad. The stadium is typically 1/4 to 1/2 full so if you like crowd energy its not there.

Second a lot of it feels like everyone is just going through the motions. There's crowd supporter songs, and what's up with all this 'real' and 'fc' bullshit?

Bottom line if the games were expensive, or I had to drive far/pay for parking and all that stuff there's no way it would be worth it. $9.00, a train ride and a chance to hang with friends is a good deal though.

steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2016-04-27, 11:05

I wonder what city the future former Detroit MLS team will end up moving to.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2016-04-27, 11:07

GR doesn't have enough population to support minor league baseball, minor league hockey and MLS. The Griffins are in the AHL playoffs and were running $2 beer and $2 dogs specials for a Tuesday night game.

Detroit metro area makes up about 50% of the state population and its there are more fans interested in MLS than GR who would actually show up for a game.

Most MLS stadiums seast between 20,000 to 25,000. The newest in Orlando is 25,500 and it looks like 25,000 is the magic number for stadium size for the league. There are a number of sucessful franchises who can stay afloat with that number.

GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 11:26

GRR Spartan wrote:GR doesn't have enough population to support minor league baseball, minor league hockey and MLS. The Griffins are in the AHL playoffs and were running $2 beer and $2 dogs specials for a Tuesday night game.

Detroit metro area makes up about 50% of the state population and its there are more fans interested in MLS than GR who would actually show up for a game.

Most MLS stadiums seast between 20,000 to 25,000. The newest in Orlando is 25,500 and it looks like 25,000 is the magic number for stadium size for the league. There are a number of sucessful franchises who can stay afloat with that number.

They are one of the better attended AHL teams. Usually somewhere around the top five in attendance. They do better than my local AHL team, and this area is is just as hockey crazy if not more than the GR area.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-04-27, 12:13

By-Tor wrote:

You watched Italy play in 94 at the Silverdome?
Thought it was Italy. Might have been the US
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-04-27, 12:15

GRR Spartan wrote:GR doesn't have enough population to support minor league baseball, minor league hockey and MLS. The Griffins are in the AHL playoffs and were running $2 beer and $2 dogs specials for a Tuesday night game.

Red Bulls Stadium holds around 25,000 and I think they claim the attendance is around 10,000.

There's always open seats in every section including the supporter section. The season also starts in March and carries way into November.

I'll also note that the season I went they had Henry, they were one of the top teams and I remember a couple of 'pivotal' matches that were must wins for the Red Bulls and you barely noticed a difference in crowd intensity or turn out.

I really think the sport has a long ways to go. Again the only draw for me was the cheap prices and hanging out/drinking with friends. I'd compare the energy to about a MAC football game.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2016-04-27, 12:19

The Pantry wrote:
By-Tor wrote:You watched Italy play in 94 at the Silverdome?
Thought it was Italy. Might have been the US

You went to a World Cup soccer game, and don't know if you watched Italy or the US?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-04-27, 12:20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

There's the MLS attendance. I think 19k avg attendance at Red Bull stadium is complete bullshit.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2016-04-27, 13:01

LooseGoose wrote:The area girls will be happy.

This. It will be a steady stream of fans in there. By the van load.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2016-04-27, 13:32

Alright!!!!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum