Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

+33
Wally Fairway
Bill Cain
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
Clarett's Folly
SawGreen
Da Mayor
TheReal_LWS
Senior Dickfist
aualum06
The Pantry
Frank Ricard
Dendrobates
The_Dude
Jake from State Farm
Oj
InTenSity
BleacherSwill
Nordic
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
Rocinante
tGreenWay
By-Tor
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
37 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Empty Re: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

Post by Guest 2017-02-22, 10:25

Vote for which ice cream we can buy this summer at the Hotel.

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 58ac99b579293-Hudsonville_WooBox_810

24th Flavor Contest
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Empty Re: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel

Post by Guest 2017-03-30, 10:46

I know Bob has been waiting for this to plan his summer:

The Grand Hotel - Spring Newslettter

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Front-porch
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-30, 10:49

LooseGoose wrote:I know Bob has been waiting for this to plan his summer:

The Grand Hotel - Spring Newslettter

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Front-porch
A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600

man, the internet is running out of pictures of that place that keep dudes like me awake at night.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-30, 10:56

exclusive picture of me and Goose on our trip to The Grand Hotel last summer..

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Oscar-Mark-1920s-suits-PF-327x500

we were on our way to stroll down the windswept veranda and partake in a most delicious cocktail containing fresh-squeezed fruit juices, infused with locally distilled whiskies.. while sharing in lively tall-tales about our morning golf excursion..

it was a most vivid memory.. laced with a verbal toxicity that only good friends can share in jest..  the distant sound of the muted clippity-clop of Mackinaw Island horses was our soundtrack to summer.. the sun glimmered and swooned over what can only be described as a fiery innocence..  laced with a knowing grin of a more devilish time blended between two friends.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-03-30, 11:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:exclusive picture of me and Goose on our trip to The Grand Hotel last summer..

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Oscar-Mark-1920s-suits-PF-327x500

we were on our way to stroll down the windswept veranda and partake in a most delicious cocktail containing fresh-squeezed fruit juices, infused with locally distilled whiskies.. while sharing in lively tall-tales about our morning golf excursion..

it was a most vivid memory.. laced with a verbal toxicity that only good friends can share in jest..  the distant sound of the muted clippity-clop of Mackinaw Island horses was our soundtrack to summer.. the sun glimmered and swooned over what can only be described as a fiery innocence..  laced with a knowing grin of a more devilish time blended between two friends.

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 PureMichigan
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-30, 11:16

It's Mackinac Island, not Mackinaw. And I'll be up there once again this summer, listening to the clippity clop with a devilish grin on my face.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-30, 11:31

Triple Sparty wrote:It's Mackinac Island, not Mackinaw. And I'll be up there once again this summer, listening to the clippity clop with a devilish grin on my face.
if you see me hanging around, please stop by and say "hello"..

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 9a5a7d54a48ac6ef394e66028405a0e9

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-30, 11:38

No offense, Bob, but you look like a douche.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-30, 11:40

Triple Sparty wrote:No offense, Bob, but you look like a douche.
wait'll you meet my friends Mackinaw Island golf/tennis friends, 'ol Sport.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-03-30, 22:48

I'd like to stay there once. But at the same time, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a fucking hotel.

I'd rather use that extra money and spend it on a real experience than on an overpriced room.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-30, 23:14

Dendrobates wrote:I'd like to stay there once. But at the same time, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a fucking hotel.

I'd rather use that extra money and spend it on a real experience than on an overpriced room.

Take Floyd with you, he'll make it a real experience.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-31, 09:31

LooseGoose wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:I'd like to stay there once. But at the same time, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a fucking hotel.

Take Floyd with you, he'll make it a real experience.
A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Floyd10

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-08, 15:13

Big horses return to Mackinac Island, a sure sign of spring

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Horses-return-to-mackinac-island-25d31f3560b25b6d
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-20, 11:13

Shepler's Mackinac Island Ferry kicks off 2017 season with popular tours, new engines

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Sheplers-ferry-9915ac18a93c8ffd

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Sheplers-ferry-9370319ac8906126

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Sunset-from-the-ferry-167209e27aec86b5
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-04, 13:35

As we officially open our doors today, May 4th 2017, my family welcomes you to our 130th Anniversary Season at Grand Hotel. This past week guests have been enjoying Early Opening but today the full service begins with Afternoon Tea and dinner in the Main Dining Room.

This winter our staff kept busy with lots of updates, including finishing the renovation of the iconic Front Porch and building three new Cupola Suites on the fourth floor.

My season opening blog includes more details on what our staff worked on this winter and the design inspiration of the new Cupola Suites.

My season opening blog includes more details on what our staff worked on this winter and the design inspiration of the new Cupola Suites.

My family and I appreciate your friendship and support and we look forward to seeing you on Mackinac during our upcoming 130th Anniversary Season.

Most Sincerely,

Dan Musser, III
President
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-04, 15:52

if you play your cards right, you can stay in the Easter Egg Vomit Suite..

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Grandhotel-mackinacisland-accommodations-suites-rates-cupola-suite

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-02, 15:06

See the seersucker suits of Mackinac Island

Former Sen. Jason Allen's family owns a men's clothing store, Captain's Quarters, in Traverse City. He's well studied in the fabric's history.
"Seersucker was originally developed in about the turn of the last century as a fabric to be able to wick away moisture. And so in the day, gentlemen were able, before the advent of Carrier air conditioning, to be able to have a more cool and comfortable suit," Allen said.
Earlier in the fabric's history, it was worn in loose suits. The size of the pincords has varied with fashions over the years. What's in style right now, Allen said, is a narrower cut and thinner stripes. The suit he's wearing was manufactured in Tennessee.
He may be an expert, but he wasn't the only one to sport the fabric at the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy Conference.

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Lovejpg-271fd3bccf63cd09
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-06-02, 18:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:exclusive picture of me and Goose on our trip to The Grand Hotel last summer..

What was their devilish time together? Singing in a fucking barbershop quartet?
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-06-02, 19:01

LooseGoose wrote:A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Sheplers-ferry-9915ac18a93c8ffd
That's a great pic. Everything about The Bridge is sort of amazing.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-06-05, 06:03

A good show about the hotel was on last night on PBS. I worked on the island for a summer back in the mid-70's. Went inside the hotel once to deliver something through the back and remember thinking that someday I'd be "rich" enough to be able to afford to stay there.

So I'm watching this show and then they used the word "elegant" and "guests" in the same sentence. I may or may not have the money to stay there, but even if I do, my definition of "elegance" now is tucking in my fucking shirt.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-05, 08:14

Frank Ricard wrote:A good show about the hotel was on last night on PBS. I worked on the island for a summer back in the mid-70's. Went inside the hotel once to deliver something through the back and remember thinking that someday I'd be "rich" enough to be able to afford to stay there.

So I'm watching this show and then they used the word "elegant" and "guests" in the same sentence. I may or may not have the money to stay there, but even if I do, my definition of "elegance" now is tucking in my fucking shirt.

Damn, I would have watched that. Missed that it was on. I enjoy most of the "about" shows that are done on Michigan history.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2017-06-05, 13:51

LooseGoose wrote:
Frank Ricard wrote:A good show about the hotel was on last night on PBS. I worked on the island for a summer back in the mid-70's. Went inside the hotel once to deliver something through the back and remember thinking that someday I'd be "rich" enough to be able to afford to stay there.

Damn, I would have watched that. Missed that it was on. I enjoy most of the "about" shows that are done on Michigan history.

It was alright. You didn't miss much. It was more of an infomercial than a history piece. Too much propaganda.. Used the word "passion" far too much. Everyone from the CEO to the cleaning maid loved their job and had to have a "passion" in order to do it.

Having said that, I have great memories from my summer working up there. I lived in what is now the Small Point Bed and Breakfast, which is directly east of what is now the Mission Point Resort. The resort was once a small college that never made it and only had one, maybe 2 buildings. It's completely built up now.

Used to have small parties up at Arch Rock once the fudgies left, which wasn't that far from the house we all lived in.

Every morning was absolutely beautiful. Never got tired of the scenery around there.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-08, 18:43

PBS 8 PM tonight....

Ice Bridge: Mackinac Island's Hidden Season
(First Aired: Dec. 07, 2013)
A unique film portraying year-round life on Michigan's Mackinac Island, highlighting the island's spectacular winters, and tracing the formation of the Ice Bridge, a frozen three-mile span that provides access from the island to the mainland.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 08:07

MLive had a bunch of pictures of people on Mackinac Island wearing seersucker suits the other day.. A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600

I'll see if I can find it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-09, 08:09

here it is..

I can't tell if the article/pictures are real or if they're mocking me mocking it.. A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600 A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600

See The Seersucker Suits at Mackinac Island
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-13, 12:51

Mackinac Island's 69th Lilac Festival concludes this weekend
A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 22904641-mmmain
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-01, 20:58

Engineer builds 9-foot Mackinac Island Grand Hotel entirely out of Legos

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 -a5435162455ae772

MACKINAC ISLAND, MI - One of Mackinac Island's most iconic spots was a Lego lover's inspiration.

Lego model creator and engineer David Lorch created a 9-foot version of the island's Grand Hotel completely out of Legos.

It's being feted as part of the hotel's 130th Anniversary Celebration Weekend and will be on display in the parlor through Sunday.

Lorch, 36, and his fiancee, Alivia Lawrence, were on hand to show off his creation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-11, 08:21

Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel shares vintage photos for 130th anniversary

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Gh7jpg-3c61842b7d827cf5

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 Gh2jpg-ab60064d3621577c
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-13, 14:02

Grand Hotel Celebrate Michigan package returns for fall 2017

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 23215847-mmmain

Enter to win a free Grand Hotel getaway from MLive in fall 2017

A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 23215850-mmmain
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-08-13, 15:56

Entered for the getaway. If I win I'll sell it to the highest bidder.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-14, 09:40

I couldn't sleep the other night and WKAR had a show on about the Grand Hotel.. so I figured I'd watch a little bit of it.

honestly, I was trying to have an open mind - but it seems like one of the most horrific places on the planet.. at least for a dude like me.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-14, 09:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I couldn't sleep the other night and WKAR had a show on about the Grand Hotel.. so I figured I'd watch a little bit of it.

honestly, I was trying to have an open mind - but it seems like one of the most horrific places on the planet.. at least for a dude like me.

So I guess that narrows your options down to the Heritage festival?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-14, 10:05

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I couldn't sleep the other night and WKAR had a show on about the Grand Hotel.. so I figured I'd watch a little bit of it.

sounds like a euphemism for a white supremacist rally. Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-08-14, 10:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

sounds like a euphemism for a white supremacist rally. Shocked

Sorry to disappoint you my friend, more like an Amish family reunion and about as dangerous.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-14, 10:12

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: sounds like a euphemism for a white supremacist rally. Shocked

Sorry to disappoint you my friend, more like an Amish family reunion and about as dangerous.

yep - I don't do the religious thing. I'd probably rather hang around all of the old white folks at the Grand Hotel.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-08-14, 10:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

yep - I don't do the religious thing. I'd probably rather hang around all of the old white folks at the Grand Hotel.

I entered. I'd take the weekend up there. We've discussed doing New Years up there. I hear it's pretty cool

But I will point out here that I am indeed old and white.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-14, 10:21

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600

I entered. I'd take the weekend up there. We've discussed doing New Years up there. I hear it's pretty cool

I think it would probably be okay around New Years when a lot of the sandal-wearin' khaki-bedazzled folks are gone.. what I witnessed on WKAR was hard to watch, though.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-08-14, 10:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I think it would probably be okay around New Years when a lot of the sandal-wearin' khaki-bedazzled folks are gone.. what I witnessed on WKAR was hard to watch, though.

I wear sandals every day Bob. Every. Single. Day. Of. The. Year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-08-14, 11:02

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: A Michigan Treasure - The Grand Hotel - Page 7 502811600

that is truly frightening.

I'd say 96% of the time I wear boots.. the miscellaneous 4% is probably a pair of Adidas or vintage Sauconys.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-08-14, 11:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
that is truly frightening.

I'd say 96% of the time I wear boots.. the miscellaneous 4% is probably a pair of Adidas or vintage Sauconys.

Sandals are very comfy, then I found out mine have a bottle opener on the bottom, so they come in handy quite a bit.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next