Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual...

+6
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Sponge Worthy
Danny Tanner
Chitown_Badger
SawGreen
10 posters

Go down

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... Empty I'm gonna trust these facts are factual...

Post by SawGreen Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:05

Pretty entertaining.... my favorites:

SawGreen's Top 10:
8. Coconuts kill more people than sharks every year. So do cows.
14. If you are in a room with 23 people, there’s more than a 50% chance that two of the people have the same birthday.
17. Cambridge University is older than the Aztec and Inca empires.
19. George Washington was 48 years old when Beethoven was born.
21. There are more ways to shuffle a deck of cards than there are atoms on Earth.
27. If you folded a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach to the moon.
41. Africa is bigger than the United States, China, India, Spain, France, and several other countries combined.
46. You can get a rough estimate of the temperature by counting the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds, then adding 37.
56. On average, astronauts are two inches taller in space.
68. The Mongolian navy consists of seven people and one boat.
----
Honorable Mention:
45. A cubic inch of bone is about four times as strong as concrete.
52. AOL still earns more than $100 million every few months from dial-up subscribers.
65. Wombat poop is square. 
69. There is enough iron in your body to make a 2-inch nail.
70. When you receive a kidney transplant, instead of the affected kidney being removed, it’s left in and a third one is put in your pelvis.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/facts-that-will-teach-you-a-damn-thing-for-once-in-your-l
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... Empty Re: I'm gonna trust these facts are factual...

Post by Chitown_Badger Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:13

27. If you folded a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach to the moon.

Suspect 
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... Empty Re: I'm gonna trust these facts are factual...

Post by Danny Tanner Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:15

SawGreen wrote:
46. You can get a rough estimate of the temperature by counting the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds, then adding 37.

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... 502811600 How the hell did they come up with this? Genius. I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... 1486952199
Danny Tanner
Danny Tanner
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:15

On the birthday one...it's for sure true

"The birthday problem is to find the probability that, in a group of N people, there is at least one pair of people who have the same birthday. See "Same birthday as you" below for an analysis of the case of finding the probability of a given, fixed person having the same birthday as any of the remaining N - 1.

In the example given earlier, a list of 23 people, comparing the birthday of the first person on the list to the others allows 22 chances for a matching birthday, the second person on the list to the others allows 21 chances for a matching birthday (in fact the 'second' person also has total 22 chances of matching birthday with the others but his/her chance of matching birthday with the 'first' person, one chance, has already been counted with the first person's 22 chances and shall not be duplicated), third person has 20 chances, and so on. Hence total chances are: 22+21+20+....+1 = 253, so comparing every person to all of the others allows 253 distinct chances (combinations): in a group of 23 people there are \textstyle {23 \choose 2} = \frac{23 \cdot 22}{2} = 253 distinct possible combinations of pairing.

Presuming all birthdays are equally probable,[3] the probability of a given birthday for a person chosen from the entire population at random is 1/365 (ignoring "leap day", February 29). Although the number of pairings in a group of 23 people is not statistically equivalent to 253 pairs chosen independently, the birthday paradox becomes less surprising if a group is thought of in terms of the number of possible pairs, rather than as the number of individuals."
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:17

Chitown_Badger wrote:27. If you folded a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach to the moon.

Suspect 

Yeah..What???
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:18

I don't like things on buzzfeed that aren't quizzes. I need to know which character from Mean Girls I am damn it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:22

Danny Tanner wrote:

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... 502811600 How the hell did they come up with this? Genius. I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... 1486952199

Really? I have known this since I was 10.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:25

Rocinante wrote:

Really?  I have known this since I was 10.

Dunno.  If I'm outside counting cricket chirps, I figure I already know if I'm hot, cold... or just right.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:26

We need to send Gary Harris to space.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Molon Labe Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:27

Sponge Worthy wrote:

Yeah..What???

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/08/31/paper-folding-to-the-moon/
Molon Labe
Molon Labe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:34

Chitown_Badger wrote:27. If you folded a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach to the moon.

Suspect 

Sponge Worthy wrote:

Yeah..What???

thickness of a piece of paper to the 42nd power?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:38

Rocinante wrote:

Cool. Powers is powerful stuff..

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:39

Rocinante wrote:

Ok, fine, but I was reacting more to how one piece of paper folded any way or any number of times, could reach to the moon.

Not some stupid, completely theoretical piece of paper.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri 16 May 2014 - 17:46

Chitown_Badger wrote:

Ok, fine, but I was reacting more to how one piece of paper folded any way or any number of times, could reach to the moon.

Not some stupid, completely theoretical piece of paper.

This is why you fail.

I'm gonna trust these facts are factual... Hqdefault
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BostonUSpartan Fri 16 May 2014 - 18:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:We need to send Gary Harris to space.

This is brilliant.
BostonUSpartan
BostonUSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUgöat Fri 16 May 2014 - 23:13

MSUgöat
MSUgöat
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down