Swill Q Thread

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Swill Q Thread

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-09, 02:26

I've only cooked beef ribs once before. I think I said this earlier. They had them at Restaurant Depot 2 winters ago and they were these gloriously thick racks. I think the pack had 2 racks in it and it was pretty damned expensive. I want to say maybe like $80 for a cryo'd pack.

I took them to a buddy's house for a small March Madness party. Cooked them and pulled them too soon. We gnawed at them, and they were good but really tough. Put them back on and - JACKPOT - after another hour. Wow, just perfect.

RD doesn't carry them anymore. At least not the one in Troy. I have yet to check the one in Dearborn. Maybe they would, because, you know, Arabia and all.

Anyway, I dropped into B&G before golf league and saw these, popped a semi-boner and went with it. I ignored the obvious signs and didn't figure it out until the meat started to retreat from the bone.

Still - god dammit, B&G - what are you guys thinking? I am not going back there.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger on 2014-07-09, 11:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Cool, thanks Pantry.

Dino ribs are on.

They look so lonely in there   
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base on 2014-07-09, 12:13

I want you to find a suckling pig and do a practice run like.....ummm.......NOW. God damn that is a glorious trailer.
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base on 2014-07-09, 12:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Much like brisket. They are done when they are done. Probe tender. Somewhere north of 190, south of 210.

Brisket is so damned finicky......I've had a 12 pound flat/point take 6.5 hours and an 8 pounder take 9, and I'm very careful about temperature with brisket. Always between 225 and 275, and I always bring it up to 200, wrap and cooler it for an hour. Last one I did never had the temp plateau on me around 145, which was a first. It just kept rising until it was done.
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-09, 12:24

All Your Base wrote:

Brisket is so damned finicky......I've had a 12 pound flat/point take 6.5 hours and an 8 pounder take 9, and I'm very careful about temperature with brisket.  Always between 225 and 275, and I always bring it up to 200, wrap and cooler it for an hour.  Last one I did never had the temp plateau on me around 145, which was a first.  It just kept rising until it was done.

Yep, totally agree.

I have learned from others and by experience with brisket (and other cuts, like pork butt even) that you can use internal temp as a guide, but it's not done until it's done, which is when it is essentially fork tender. That means the probe sliding in and out like you're sticking it in a pat of butter. I have had briskets that were probe tender at 190 and briskets that didn't get there until 205. Who knows why.

I also have pulled them out just short of fork tender when in a time crunch, done the double wrap in foil, towel wrap, cooler thing for 4-5 hours and have them come out very good.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-11, 09:30

Open box sale on Thermapens. Get one. You won't regret it.

PS. You want British Racing green, not regular green.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2014.html

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior on 2014-07-11, 14:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Open box sale on Thermapens. Get one. You won't regret it.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2014.html
Awesome! Got mine in British Racing Green! I've always wanted one of those, but, I'm a cheap ass and $100 was just too steep. $74 is still steep for a meat thermometer and I had to use some WD-40 on my wallet to coax it open, but if it works as fast as I've seen on TV then I'm sure I'll like it. I damn well better like it since I can't return it.

Give them NOTHING!  Take from them EVERYTHING!
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-11, 14:52

Code_Warrior wrote:
Awesome!  Got mine in British Racing Green!  I've always wanted one of those, but, I'm a cheap ass and $100 was just too steep.  $74 is still steep for a meat thermometer and I had to use some WD-40 on my wallet to coax it open, but if it works as fast as I've seen on TV then I'm sure I'll like it.  I damn well better like it since I can't return it.
Just ordered one in BRG also.

Thanks for the link WBH!
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity on 2014-07-11, 15:16

Code_Warrior wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Open box sale on Thermapens. Get one. You won't regret it.

Awesome!  Got mine in British Racing Green!  I've always wanted one of those, but, I'm a cheap ass and $100 was just too steep.  $74 is still steep for a meat thermometer and I had to use some WD-40 on my wallet to coax it open, but if it works as fast as I've seen on TV then I'm sure I'll like it.  I damn well better like it since I can't return it.

Congratulations, you have increased the number of expensive gadgets you own that are considered non-optional. Welcome to the club.

Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

http://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior on 2014-07-11, 22:47

SeeRockCity wrote:

Congratulations, you have increased the number of expensive gadgets you own that are considered non-optional.  Welcome to the club.
Been using the Maverick wireless for a long time now, but yeah, this will work a lot better than my other slow meat thermometers when smoking multiple meats at the same time, letting me close the door a lot quicker and keep temps more consistent in the smoker.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-13, 20:57

The Maverick + Thermapen is the perfect combo imho. The Maverick isn't super accurate, but you can gauge ballpark on a bigger, longer cook with it - or use it to monitor your pit temps. Then you go in for the kill with the Thermapen. I use the Thermapen for everything - burgers, brats, steaks, smoked goods, frozen mac n' cheese for the kids. I wear that thing out.

I was still pissed about last week's beef rib debacle so I went out and got the real deal today. They on.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior on 2014-07-14, 02:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Maverick + Thermapen is the perfect combo imho. The Maverick isn't super accurate, but you can gauge ballpark on a bigger, longer cook with it - or use it to monitor your pit temps. Then you go in for the kill with the Thermapen. I use the Thermapen for everything - burgers, brats, steaks, smoked goods, frozen mac n' cheese for the kids. I wear that thing out.

I was still pissed about last week's beef rib debacle so I went out and got the real deal today. They on.

How'd they turn out?

Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan on 2014-07-14, 06:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Maverick + Thermapen is the perfect combo imho. The Maverick isn't super accurate, but you can gauge ballpark on a bigger, longer cook with it - or use it to monitor your pit temps. Then you go in for the kill with the Thermapen. I use the Thermapen for everything - burgers, brats, steaks, smoked goods, frozen mac n' cheese for the kids. I wear that thing out.

Keep these coming. I see the grill is selling for $255. looks awesome.
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-14, 09:05

They didn't turn out great. Uneven meat thickness led to two being done and the other two not being done. Also, I over salted them. I'll post some pics later. At least I have 3 more racks to perfect them.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2014-07-14, 11:16

For those that don't have/always wanted a Thermapen
Thermapen Open Box Private Sale
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on 2014-07-14, 15:33

CORNER BLITZ wrote:For those that don't have/always wanted a Thermapen
Thermapen Open Box Private Sale
Ummmm - WBH posted the sale link about 10 posts ago (but that isn't what I came here to post)

I'm stealing this from another site - if you don't want to spend Thermapen money, then you can just do this for $10 (I'm kinda surprised that WBH hasn't posted this....maybe he is out drinking with tTy {shrug} )

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Original-Instant-Read-Thermometer/dp/B009IH0BZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405309117&sr=8-1&keywords=weber%20thermometer&tag=viglink20305-20

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-14, 20:11

Wally Fairway wrote:
Ummmm - WBH posted the sale link about 10 posts ago (but that isn't what I came here to post)

I'm stealing this from another site - if you don't want to spend Thermapen money, then you can just do this for $10 (I'm kinda surprised that WBH hasn't posted this....maybe he is out drinking with tTy {shrug} )

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Original-Instant-Read-Thermometer/dp/B009IH0BZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405309117&sr=8-1&keywords=weber%20thermometer&tag=viglink20305-20
Weber makes great grills and smokers...their thermometers suck.

Links to Thermapen reviews
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-07-14, 22:57

Wally Fairway wrote:

This is a great one also in case you don't have as much money as White Boy. I use it for brewing beer and it is dead on.

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405392971&sr=8-1&keywords=CDN+thermometer

GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger on 2014-07-15, 11:39

The Pantry wrote:
Weber makes great grills and smokers...their thermometers suck.

Links to Thermapen reviews

Pretty solid reviews though.
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on 2014-07-16, 12:21

GirbaudJeans wrote:

This is a great one also in case you don't have as much money as White Boy.  I use it for brewing beer and it is dead on.

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405392971&sr=8-1&keywords=CDN+thermometer

So I had to order some other shit from Amazon (and I'm a prime member for a while longer) so I ordered on of each of those.....I'll try to remember to review them when I get the WSM fired up.

General question, how much will quick read thermometers vary from my Maverick?

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-16, 21:53

Got my Thermapen today. Seems very well built.

Ironically, discovered my garage beer fridge died today. Lost at least $150 of food that was in the freezer.

The Thermapen says the Southern Tier 2XIPA I just opened is 55.6 degrees :(
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on 2014-07-21, 15:26

Maverick ET-733 on sale @ amazon

http://slickdeals.net/f/7076910-maverick-et-733-wireless-thermometer-for-54-99-ivation-iva-wlthemr-for-44-99-with-15-off-promo-codes

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base on 2014-07-21, 18:07

Anyone ever smoked, or had the thought to smoke a pheasant? My BGE wants to know....
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base on 2014-07-21, 18:35

Also - hawt dayum - just found an awesome recipe and method for smoking oysters. Oh. Hells. Yes. That's gonna happen on Friday night.

Check out this post and pics:

smoked oysters
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Ninja on 2014-07-22, 10:41

WBH or anyone else have a good recommendation for good grilling gloves? I have tried a few different ones any they always seem to get in the way.
Green Ninja
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-22, 11:12

I've got 3 pairs of gloves like these. Great for handling big cuts like brisket, or pulling pork, or just shuffling ribs, etc.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/114945146/bbq-pitmaster-gloves-heat-resistant?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CjwKEAjwl7ieBRCK2rCtqcCS7jESJACZKQFKNi7s7Nf5uSyFAJNIJA5rT94RXWiwJrFx3JrAe9T1RhoCXnTw_wcB

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Ninja on 2014-07-22, 11:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've got 3 pairs of gloves like these. Great for handling big cuts like brisket, or pulling pork, or just shuffling ribs, etc.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/114945146/bbq-pitmaster-gloves-heat-resistant?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CjwKEAjwl7ieBRCK2rCtqcCS7jESJACZKQFKNi7s7Nf5uSyFAJNIJA5rT94RXWiwJrFx3JrAe9T1RhoCXnTw_wcB

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.
Green Ninja
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-22, 18:55

Started brining a 4.5# pork loin Sunday afternoon.  Was going to bacon wrap it and smoke it last night but ran out of time.

Decided to sear it over the charcoal chimney...hot as hell...took less than 5 minutes to sear the whole thing.  Took it off and dumped the coals in the side baskets in my kettle.  Finished it indirect taking about an hour.

Thing came out great...really juicy.  Brining makes a huge difference with pork and poultry, regardless of whether smoking or using other cooking methods

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-22, 19:45

All Your Base wrote:Anyone ever smoked, or had the thought to smoke a pheasant?  My BGE wants to know....
Thought about smoking a whole duck a couple years ago but didn't follow through figuring the breast meat would probably be ruined by the time the rest of the bird was done.  Still thinking about smoking the breast by itself.

Pheasant is a different bird...much less fatty.  Got a couple of them a few years ago and braised them after searing the skin a little.  Came out pretty good.  Even the kids liked it.  Wasn't much into smoking back then and never thought to try it.  

Apparently it can be done with a brine

http://honest-food.net/2012/11/26/smoked-pheasant-recipe/
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-22, 22:15

The Pantry wrote:Started brining a 4.5# pork loin Sunday afternoon.  Was going to bacon wrap it and smoke it last night but ran out of time.

Decided to sear it over the charcoal chimney...hot as hell...took less than 5 minutes to sear the whole thing.  Took it off and dumped the coals in the side baskets in my kettle.  Finished it indirect taking about an hour.

Thing came out great...really juicy.  Brining makes a huge difference with pork and poultry, regardless of whether smoking or using other cooking methods

WTF is going on with my chrome. Why can't I see the images anymore?

Looked really good when I looked at it earlier.

I am tempted to give the two hour ribs a try but I've been fighting with my 4.5 year old for 2 hours trying to get him to ditch the pull ups for dropping a deuce. Stubborn little asshole will be the end of me. I just poured a drink and turned on the game but I'm sure this is not the end of the ordeal for the night. If all is quiet in 30 minutes or so I might fire up the WSM.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-22, 23:38

**** it. WSM fired. I feel like Ty.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-23, 01:24

I didn't get them on until probably 10 after midnight. I had temps up around 400 and I kicked the vents down to try to get to 350, but I put them on anyway. Temps got down to 350 within 20 minutes or so and have been holding steady since. Now an hour and 10 in and they are bending like crazy. Pretty much done. I'm going to give them another 15 minutes. I way overshot this the first time.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-23, 01:41

90 minutes in. They are done. Taste test coming in a few.

See how they bend with their weight and almost break (but don't)? Perfect.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-23, 02:12

I should have let them go another 15 minutes. Delicious though.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-23, 13:48

Low and slow my ass. Just had the other half of the rack for lunch. Heated them at 400 for about 15 minutes covered in foil. Glazed with some pineapple hab rib candy from texas pepper jelly. Yum.

No discernible taste difference in 90 minute spare ribs (should have been 105 minute ribs) vs. 6 hour 3-2-1 ribs.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-25, 18:12

Just picked up a couple buffalo tri-tips. Going to do only one this weekend. Undecided right now on whether to bacon wrap it. On one hand I'm thinking it needs the fat. On the other hand I'd like to try it without first to see how the flavor is
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-25, 18:25

Where did you get those? Do want.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-25, 18:40

Butcher Boy in Warren. Ever been there?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-07-25, 21:43

The Pantry wrote:Butcher Boy in Warren.  Ever been there?

Holy shit. Just checked out their site. Awesome!

Have you ever tried bison brisket or ribeeye roast or anything? This is definitely in my near future. What have you tried there?

WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-07-25, 23:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Holy shit. Just checked out their site. Awesome!

Have you ever tried bison brisket or ribeeye roast or anything? This is definitely in my near future. What have you tried there?

Grew up on the north side of Warren.  Parents bought a giant freezer from Montgomery Ward.  Got a few half sides of beef from Butcher Boy...they delivered back in the early 70's.  Meat was okay but not great so my parents stopped delivery.

Flash forward.  A co-worker mentioned going to Butcher Boy a few weeks ago, stirring up brain cells I thought were long dead.  Looked them up online and my mind was blown: 1) they were still in business 2) they only deal in game and exotic meats.

Co-worker went there at lunch today and came back with bison tri-tip and skirt steak (frozen).   Decided I had to stop there and discovered the place is less than a mile from work.

The location is pretty strange, as is the place itself.  Shithole of a building.  Remember Peacocks before they renovated?  BB is 10X as weird.  Freezers all around in the small room where you enter.  They don't have a checkout counter.  Paid my bill in a room off to the right that had lots of mounts on the walls.

You gotta check this place out or your life will not be complete  
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum