What are your favorite metal bands?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are your favorite metal bands?

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 22 Aug 2016 - 14:01

AnomanderRake wrote:Farmikos is pretty sick Goose, good recommendation.

I'm hoping they release some more new material. Another on my playlists is a side project of Scott Ian with his wife Pearl Aday - Motor Sister. If you like the music there's a pretty good back story on this one:

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake on Mon 22 Aug 2016 - 14:49

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of Motor Sister before since I used to be big into the thrash scene. Good stuff.
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 22 Aug 2016 - 15:01

AnomanderRake wrote:I'm surprised I hadn't heard of Motor Sister before since I used to be big into the thrash scene. Good stuff.

I still chuckle every time I see their videos thinking about Pearl Aday being Meat Loaf's daughter....and thus Scott Ian his son in law.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 11:29

A few more I forgot yesterday.

Amon Amarth - One of the best melodic death metal bands out there. Hail from Sweden.

Converge - Pioneers of the metalcore/mathcore scene. These guys kick all sorts of ass, seriously just give them a listen. Make sure there aren't any valuables around as you may end up breaking everything in sight.

After the Burial - Progressive metalcore. Pretty heavy shit, screaming, breakdowns, great shredding. Tracks to start with - Berzerker, Lost in the Static, A wolf Amongst Ravens.
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 23 Aug 2016 - 17:39

The greatest rock guitarist ever...

Michael Schenker ‏@MW_Schenker 17m17 minutes ago
Osaka soundcheck! Today we're in Tokyo where we will also be shooting a live DVD #MichaelSchenkerFEST

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri 26 Aug 2016 - 9:17

Good read....

How a Free Weekly Metal Night Brings ’70s Rock Legends to Music Row

To the tourists and Tin Roof bros walking down Demonbreun near the Music Row roundabout on a warm Wednesday night in October 2014, the overflowing patio at the Harp & Fiddle — then known as Dan McGuinness Pub — might have simply looked like an especially busy evening for the restaurant.

And the black SUV idling out front on 16th Avenue could have just been some dude’s Uber.

Indeed it was someone’s ride: Alice Cooper’s. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer was performing in the most unlikely of venues — a modest Irish pub — slaying a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd of about 200 with a set of classic-rock covers, capped by his own 1972 delinquent anthem “School’s Out.” Even by Nashville’s recently minted It City standards, it was an “I can’t fucking believe this” sight, the Godfather of Shock Rock, sans makeup but with his full band, drawing blood on a stage just steps from a kitchen frying fish-and-chips.

Such high-wattage appearances at the Harp & Fiddle have become expected by those in the know: the rock fans who crowd the pub’s patio every Tuesday night for Thee Rock N’ Roll Residency.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 15:33

New Hammerfall -

Hammerfall release The Sacred Vow lyric video

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 18:39

LooseGoose wrote:New Hammerfall -

For a minute I thought I had missed something, as I knew they were working on a new album, but didn't think it was that close to coming out. So I checked, and it's still 66 days, 9 hours, and 34 minutes from being released (their website has a countdown clock). That seems pretty far in advance short of being an EP release, but it sounds pretty damn good, like classic Hammerfall. Their last album was their best in quite some time, so I'm looking forward to the new one, especially after hearing that.

Have you given much other Power Metal a try? You didn't mention any in your earlier posts in the thread, so that might mean that it's not your cup of tea (I understand that sometimes a certain band can strike a chord--pun partially intended--more than others in a certain genre or sub-genre).
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 29 Aug 2016 - 19:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:New Hammerfall -

For a minute I thought I had missed something, as I knew they were working on a new album, but didn't think it was that close to coming out.  So I checked, and it's still 66 days, 9 hours, and 34 minutes from being released (their website has a countdown clock).  That seems pretty far in advance short of being an EP release, but it sounds pretty damn good, like classic Hammerfall.  Their last album was their best in quite some time, so I'm looking forward to the new one, especially after hearing that.

Have you given much other Power Metal a try?  You didn't mention any in your earlier posts in the thread, so that might mean that it's not your cup of tea (I understand that sometimes a certain band can strike a chord--pun partially intended--more than others in a certain genre or sub-genre).  

Suggest some bands?  I may or may not have heard them.   I saw Hammerfall open for Dio at Harpos and really enjoyed their show, have pretty much bought all of their catalog since then.   I wish they would tour the US again, it's been a while.

Just went and dug up a review of that show and I think it's pretty much spot on, I saw Dio 3-4 times at Harpos and this was the best of those shows.

Heart of Steel: Concert Reviews

First Anders Johanssen came out behind the kit, followed by Magnus Rosen and Stefan Elmgren. As the song broke into full force, out comes Oscar Dronjak decked out in his full armor outfit, followed by Joacim Cans. Leading into "Heeding the Call," the band was in fine form.

I knew coming into the show that King's X set would be the perfect time to hit the bathroom, have a few beers, and get some fresh air, and that was precisely what I did. I quickly found, however, that I could not drink enough to tolerate their set. They absolutely sucked!

By the time Dio finished his set, the clock was nearing 1 am. Dio performed for nearly 2 hours, and I was nearly exhausted as the energy of the concert wore off. Except for King's X, the night had been nearly perfect. Dio's setlist was mostly unbeatable (though I was hoping he'd play "Neon Knights," or "I Speed At Night), and I felt his performance was even better than when I saw him 2 years ago at Harpo's. I left the hall that night knowing I had a new addition to my top 5 shows that I have ever seen.

PS And I agree that song sounds more like "classic" Hammerfall.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 0:09

Why no Magnet shoutouts?!?!?!?!?!  The fuck?  Spine Of God is pretty much Metal Gospel......

WHAT JUST HAPPENED? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!????????

tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 0:11

WHAT JUST HAPPENED? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!????????

tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 14:28

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
For a minute I thought I had missed something, as I knew they were working on a new album, but didn't think it was that close to coming out.  So I checked, and it's still 66 days, 9 hours, and 34 minutes from being released (their website has a countdown clock).  That seems pretty far in advance short of being an EP release, but it sounds pretty damn good, like classic Hammerfall.  Their last album was their best in quite some time, so I'm looking forward to the new one, especially after hearing that.

Have you given much other Power Metal a try?  You didn't mention any in your earlier posts in the thread, so that might mean that it's not your cup of tea (I understand that sometimes a certain band can strike a chord--pun partially intended--more than others in a certain genre or sub-genre).  

Suggest some bands?  I may or may not have heard them.   I saw Hammerfall open for Dio at Harpos and really enjoyed their show, have pretty much bought all of their catalog since then.   I wish they would tour the US again, it's been a while.

Just went and dug up a review of that show and I think it's pretty much spot on, I saw Dio 3-4 times at Harpos and this was the best of those shows.

First Anders Johanssen came out behind the kit, followed by Magnus Rosen and Stefan Elmgren. As the song broke into full force, out comes Oscar Dronjak decked out in his full armor outfit, followed by Joacim Cans. Leading into "Heeding the Call," the band was in fine form.

I knew coming into the show that King's X set would be the perfect time to hit the bathroom, have a few beers, and get some fresh air, and that was precisely what I did. I quickly found, however, that I could not drink enough to tolerate their set. They absolutely sucked!

By the time Dio finished his set, the clock was nearing 1 am. Dio performed for nearly 2 hours, and I was nearly exhausted as the energy of the concert wore off. Except for King's X, the night had been nearly perfect. Dio's setlist was mostly unbeatable (though I was hoping he'd play "Neon Knights," or "I Speed At Night), and I felt his performance was even better than when I saw him 2 years ago at Harpo's. I left the hall that night knowing I had a new addition to my top 5 shows that I have ever seen.

Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian are probably the "kings" of Power Metal, and I'd liken Hammerfall more to them than some others. Blind Guardian has actually gone more progressive the last few albums, and don't do as much for me as their first albums did (though they are playing down here next week, and I'll still probably go for their older stuff). Stratovarius, another of the more well-known PM bands also went prog. I think LWS started a thread about Dragonforce on here a while back, so that's another that is fairly well known.

Always loved seeing Dio. I saw him at Harpo's once or twice, but that was in the 90s. Actually, my first ever concert was Dio on the Sacred Heart tour (1987-ish), at the IMA in Flint. I was a very scrawny 13 years old, and on the floor (general admission) getting crushed up in the second row for the first few songs until the rush subsided. Good times!
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 14:30

STRYPER ROCKS!!!

Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 15:38

MiamiSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Helloween, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian are probably the "kings" of Power Metal, and I'd liken Hammerfall more to them than some others. Blind Guardian has actually gone more progressive the last few albums, and don't do as much for me as their first albums did (though they are playing down here next week, and I'll still probably go for their older stuff). Stratovarius, another of the more well-known PM bands also went prog. I think LWS started a thread about Dragonforce on here a while back, so that's another that is fairly well known.

Always loved seeing Dio. I saw him at Harpo's once or twice, but that was in the 90s. Actually, my first ever concert was Dio on the Sacred Heart tour (1987-ish), at the IMA in Flint. I was a very scrawny 13 years old, and on the floor (general admission) getting crushed up in the second row for the first few songs until the rush subsided. Good times!

I've listened to some Blind Guardian but it's been years. I'll have to revisit them and check some of the others out.

The new IMA? I was there. LOL - Accept opened. One of the few shows I saw there, the only other one I remember is Nazareth & April Wine. The "old" downtown IMA was a GREAT place to see a show. I saw tons of shows there - Cooper, Squeeze, BOC, UFO a couple of times and others.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 16:32

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I've listened to some Blind Guardian but it's been years. I'll have to revisit them and check some of the others out.

The new IMA? I was there. LOL - Accept opened. One of the few shows I saw there, the only other one I remember is Nazareth & April Wine. The "old" downtown IMA was a GREAT place to see a show. I saw tons of shows there - Cooper, Squeeze, BOC, UFO a couple of times and others.
Yes indeed, Accept opened! I remember about a year before that Dio/Accept show, Motley Crue played there, but my parents weren't quite ready to let me go. I grew up in Flint, and they didn't have many metal shows. It would usually be Saginaw or Detroit. Though I do remember seeing Pantera at the Capitol Theater in Flint (probably 92-95 sometime, as I'm pretty sure I was at MSU at the time). I don't think I saw any others in Flint.

I did see one in Lansing...well, it may have technically been Holt. Quiet Riot. Strangest concert experience I ever saw. IIRC, it was called the Bishop Inn or something like that, not far off I-96. This would have been 96-98 or so. It was just a dive bar. The stage was only raised about a foot or two. Couldn't have been more than 100 people there, and everyone just sat at tables hardly paying attention, except when they played Come On Feel the Noise and Bang Your Head. I felt bad for the band, but they still played as hard as if they were at any "real" concert hall with everyone going crazy.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 16:55

MiamiSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yes indeed, Accept opened! I remember about a year before that Dio/Accept show, Motley Crue played there, but my parents weren't quite ready to let me go. I grew up in Flint, and they didn't have many metal shows. It would usually be Saginaw or Detroit. Though I do remember seeing Pantera at the Capitol Theater in Flint (probably 92-95 sometime, as I'm pretty sure I was at MSU at the time). I don't think I saw any others in Flint.

I did see one in Lansing...well, it may have technically been Holt. Quiet Riot. Strangest concert experience I ever saw. IIRC, it was called the Bishop Inn or something like that, not far off I-96. This would have been 96-98 or so. It was just a dive bar. The stage was only raised about a foot or two. Couldn't have been more than 100 people there, and everyone just sat at tables hardly paying attention, except when they played Come On Feel the Noise and Bang Your Head. I felt bad for the band, but they still played as hard as if they were at any "real" concert hall with everyone going crazy.

The Capitol was another great place to see a show - I saw Angel there in '77 or '78. Did you see they're about to refurbish it?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 18:35

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

The Capitol was another great place to see a show - I saw Angel there in '77 or '78. Did you see they're about to refurbish it?
No, I didn't know that. That's cool. I love the old school downtown theaters like that.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 18:42

MiamiSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

No, I didn't know that. That's cool. I love the old school downtown theaters like that.

Capitol Theatre to open summer 2017 following approval of tax freeze

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 21:45

More Schenker from Japan.   I wish he would bring this show to the US - has all 3 MSG singers with him.   Robin McAuley, Graham Bonnet and Gary Barden.   A nice 15 minute + version of Rock Bottom to display why he's the all time best.   Technical skill, the brown tone only he can get, speed and classic song writing.  I want to die with Schenker on 11.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 1 Sep 2016 - 10:30

Concert review: Black Sabbath rumbles and roars like dinosaurs at last-ever Detroit show

DETROIT, MI – Black Sabbath is a dead band walking. They declared it so themselves. And they mean it this time.

The current tour is called simply "The End," a yearlong final hellish hurrah for the first and original heavy metal band, which stopped in Metro Detroit for the final time Wednesday night. And now is when we bask in the irony of a group of death-obsessed British bummers taking literally years to bring about their own demise. They drew out their final breath for almost ever, for so long.

So. Long. So long, Black Sabbath.

In unrelated news I saw last night that UFO is touring the US next year with Saxon opening. I love UFO's work the the "classic" lineup but just can't get excited about seeing them without Schenker and Pete Way.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 13:17

AC/DC makes rock 'n' roll thunder with an impressive Axl Rose

We knew the rhythm section would be steady and unflinching. We knew Angus Young would be electrifying. We knew the set list would be loaded with the classics.

So just one question loomed going into Friday night’s AC/DC show: How was Axl Rose going to sound?

The verdict, after an exhilarating 2½ hours at the Palace of Auburn Hills: simply spectacular.

Stepping in for the sidelined Brian Johnson, the Guns N’ Roses vocalist delivered a vigorous, note-perfect performance and a show of modesty that seemed to recognize his place in the scheme of it all.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 9:40

Scott Ian ‏@Scott_Ian 9h9 hours ago
Thank you Michigan. As always, you were fantastic. Cheers! #forallkingsworldtour #motorcitymadhouse https://www.instagram.com/p/BKM7ruzhshK/

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 12 Sep 2016 - 21:35

Some props for our fellow Swill member:

New GHOST EP 'Popestar' Due This Friday; Listen To 'Square Hammer' Song

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 27 Oct 2016 - 23:16

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 7 Nov 2016 - 15:21

I was never a big Crue fan. Just was reading a DJ Ashba story and knew he was in a project with Nikki Sixx now, so I gave it a listen. I like this song better than anything Crue ever did.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Mon 7 Nov 2016 - 15:22

Burzum

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 12:34

Antineoplastons wrote:People ever wonder why new metal music isn't produced for the mainstream?  I have my theories....kind of like how serial killers basically stopped existing by the turn of the 21st century.  At least there's still porn
Metal has never been a mainstream genre, it has nothing to do with new metal music or old metal music. Tons of new metal is still being produced, and being played in front of crowds in the tens of thousands.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 13:11

Antineoplastons wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Metal has never been a mainstream genre, it has nothing to do with new metal music or old metal music.  Tons of new metal is still being produced, and being played in front of crowds in the tens of thousands.

I disagree, back in the 70's and 80's metal music ( Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) was mainstream IMO.  When I google metal bands I don't see any new bands on the top scroll.  In fact of the 50 or so bands listed there, I didn't see a single one that started up later than 1999

https://www.google.com/#q=Metal+bands

Which new metal band is drawing in 20+ thousand to their shows?

Edit: to clarify, I'm referring to new metal bands not new metal music ( I know Metallica is still putting out new material )

Depends on how you define "started up". For example Avenged Sevenfold was formed in 1999 but didn't really do anything of note until 02-03.

Halestorm lists their formation as 1997 when Lzzy and her brother were 10 and 13. In reality they weren't on anyone's radar until their 1st album was released in 2009.

Bullet for my Valentine formed in '98, album deal in '02.

Alter Bridge might be the closest to your criteria - formed and released their 1st album in '04.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 13:45

Antineoplastons wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Metal has never been a mainstream genre, it has nothing to do with new metal music or old metal music.  Tons of new metal is still being produced, and being played in front of crowds in the tens of thousands.

I disagree, back in the 70's and 80's metal music ( Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) was mainstream IMO.  When I google metal bands I don't see any new bands on the top scroll.  In fact of the 50 or so bands listed there, I didn't see a single one that started up later than 1999

https://www.google.com/#q=Metal+bands

Which new metal band is drawing in 20+ thousand to their shows?

Edit: to clarify, I'm referring to new metal bands not new metal music ( I know Metallica is still putting out new material )
Well, that's an important clarification, that you're only talking new metal bands.

But, though I'm sure you have a big illuminati conspiracy about it, it's a pretty simple reason, and far less sinister. Genres of music don't stay "in" forever and kids aren't into metal. In the 70s, there weren't a lot of up and coming groups playing Big Band music and being really popular. No one is still making 80s pop. Even genres like Country and Hip Hop, which still are big, have evolved a ton from 30 years ago (and are also a little different, as they're rooted in sizeable cultures. Still, metal is far more popular in Europe and South America than it is in the US. There are multiple festivals there every year with 70-80,000 people seeing mostly bands that 99% of people in the US have never heard of. I don't know if they individually draw 20,000+ but that's a silly, arbitrary number. Back in the 80s/90s, few metal concerts drew that, as almost no indoor arenas can hold that many for a concert.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 14:02

Antineoplastons wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Depends on how you define "started up".   For example Avenged Sevenfold was formed in 1999 but didn't really do anything of note until 02-03.  

Halestorm lists their formation as 1997 when Lzzy and her brother were 10 and 13.  In reality they weren't on anyone's radar until their 1st album was released in 2009.  

Bullet for my Valentine formed in '98, album deal in '02.

Alter Bridge might be the closest to your criteria - formed and released their 1st album in '04.

Ok so a few of them have come out as recently as 7-10 years ago.  Do you consider metal to have been mainstream back in the 70's-80's and if so do you still consider it to be?  Rap music came out in the 70's and started to become mainstream in the mid to late 80's but 20 years later is still maintaining its mainstream popularity.  

My theory is that the record executives and their company's marketing strategies decide what music becomes popular today.  Who would have thought rap music would become as popular as it has today?  It's no coincidence all the big name rap artists like Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Kayne, Eminem, Snoop etc all have occult/Illuminati roots while rappers who are actually talented but don't sell-out and instead expose what's happening in the industry like Mos Def and Lupe Fiasco aren't embraced by these record companies.  

Anybody ever hear of Bon Iver?  I guess they are what we would consider today to be alternative music.  My prediction is they will become a popular name eventually, and it will have nothing to do with their shit music that is nothing but Satanic backmasking...

Metal wasn't mainstream in the 70s and 80s and isn't now. Sure, a couple of songs here and there would get play, but it was always a counter-culture. It thrives on NOT being mainstream. When former metalheads get into their 30s and 40s and start becoming clean-cut leaders in business and communities, it's hard to be a counter-culture for the disaffected youth looking to rebel. Personally, I was never disaffected or looking to rebel (and no one would ever think I was a metal fan by looking at me), and that's the case for many metal fans, but for the majority of metal fans, a huge part of it was the rebellion, the shock value, etc.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:14

Antineoplastons wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Well, that's an important clarification, that you're only talking new metal bands.  

But, though I'm sure you have a big illuminati conspiracy about it, it's a pretty simple reason, and far less sinister.  Genres of music don't stay "in" forever and kids aren't into metal.  In the 70s, there weren't a lot of up and coming groups playing Big Band music and being really popular.  No one is still making 80s pop.  Even genres like Country and Hip Hop, which still are big, have evolved a ton from 30 years ago (and are also a little different, as they're rooted in sizeable cultures.  Still, metal is far more popular in Europe and South America than it is in the US.  There are multiple festivals there every year with 70-80,000 people seeing mostly bands that 99% of people in the US have never heard of.  I don't know if they individually draw 20,000+ but that's a silly, arbitrary number.  Back in the 80s/90s, few metal concerts drew that, as almost no indoor arenas can hold that many for a concert.

I think Lady Gaga, Brittney Spears, Katie Perry = 80's pop music.  I know each decade has a certain style associated with the genre, but the core is still basically the same....

Don't you think the US drives the music markets?  Most of the big record /music production companies are here in the US much like Hollywood.  You could say there's a lag time between the US/Western Europe and third world countries like those in S. America and E .Europe but that wouldn't explain why it's mainstream over there currently while not here in the states.  but wouldn't that support my theory that it's the record companies that are deciding which genre they want to promote?  

I would say grunge music would be a better example of what you're saying than metal.  Hip hop has changed with gangster rap and the stuff coming out today ( as opposed to the style of Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, etc ), but I don't know if evolve is the right word to use.  Country has gotten more popular that's true, but again a case can be made that a lot of that has to do with the Illuminati involvement now present in country music.  

Absolutely, I agree that record companies essentially choose what music to make popular. They influence the radio stations, radio stations play what the record companies are pushing. In general, people like music they're familiar with. If they hear a song several times, they'll like it. This became apparent to me in the early 90s, when dumbass chicks at State are singing Metallica's Enter Sandman at the bars and parties (because the record companies shoved that song down the throat of MTV and every radio station). However, metal did not grow in the 70s and 80s because of radio play.

While the US does drive the world music market to a large extent, and Europe and South America may lag a bit behind (though not much anymore, due to the digital age), that's not why metal is popular there. They don't lag 20-25 years behind, which is when metal as any kind of a semi-popular force in the US was killed off by grunge. I think that the metal culture in Europe and South America was just less impacted by the Grunge scene and what was on the radio. I don't know if the record companies have the same pull with radio stations on other continents, especially back then.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:24

still bummed that VH1 cancelled "That Metal Show" - was the best show on TV.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:43

Antineoplastons wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Metal wasn't mainstream in the 70s and 80s and isn't now.  Sure, a couple of songs here and there would get play, but it was always a counter-culture.  It thrives on NOT being mainstream.  When former metalheads get into their 30s and 40s and start becoming clean-cut leaders in business and communities, it's hard to be a counter-culture for the disaffected youth looking to rebel.  Personally, I was never disaffected or looking to rebel (and no one would ever think I was a metal fan by looking at me), and that's the case for many metal fans, but for the majority of metal fans, a huge part of it was the rebellion, the shock value, etc.

Supposed industry experts seem to think metal used to be mainstream....

http://www.vh1.com/news/54988/heavy-metal-marginalized-in-pop-culture/

Wikipedia also thinks so...

"Mainstream: late 1970s and 1980s"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

I grew up in the 80's listening to metal groups that started out in the 70's like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.  When I got to State most of my friends/roommates were listening to a combination of Metallica, Megadeth, Pearl Jam and rap music like 2 Live Crew.  Perhaps Metallica was an outlier as most of my friends weren't into Slayer like I was ( Reign in Blood is my all-time favorite metal album )....I guess you could say metal just became unpopular in the US but it seems strange if that happened organically.  
I guess it depends on how one defines mainstream.  Yes, MTV had Headbangers Ball, but that was on at what, 11 o'clock on Saturday night or something?  I remember a station in Flint would have a half-hour metal show called Metal Shop, but that was also on late at night.  I don't consider that mainstream when it gets played at those hours.

It's not that metal just became unpopular in the US.  As I mentioned in the previous post, grunge killed it.  Or at least alternative, which I think of as basically the same as grunge (but I'm no genre expert on that shit).  Those became popular (ok, maybe that's the record companies' doings), and too many metal bands tried to shift more toward that.  Meanwhile, Metallica, who for years had preached musical integrity, slamming sell outs, and vowing to NEVER make a music video, suddenly made videos and was put all over the radio airwaves.  They made big coin, and it led others to try to go that way.  So much metal became this metal-alternative mix.  In addition to Metallica, bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, etc., all put out their worst albums to date in the early-mid 90s (post 1990, as the year 1990 was an outstanding year for metal...perhaps burning its brightest just before it's demise).  Of course, that's my opinion on their music.  While some fans followed that shift, and still liked it, an awful lot of fans that grew up on 80s metal (not shitty hair metal, but real 80s metal) were turned off by it.  A lot of European bands were able to tap into this group that wanted to cling to the principles of old school metal.  The European Death Metal scene seemed to be an outlet for 80s Thrash metal fans that liked the speed and power chords, and Power Metal was the outlet for fans of the fast, guitar-oriented music like Maiden and Priest.  At least that was my personal view, seeing the bands that myself and buddies of mine drifted to during the mid-late 90s.

Maybe the record companies pushing alternative music was their plan to shift metal in that direction, I don't know.  I'm not the conspiracy guy, so I don't tend to think that there was a plan other than chasing the $$$, and even though I do think that record companies dictate a lot of what it becomes popular, I don't think it's illuminati based.  And who knows, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass about these changes, but it's just how I saw things develop.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:still bummed that VH1 cancelled "That Metal Show" - was the best show on TV.

Robert? VH1Classic.

Eddie says they're still trying to bring it back elsewhere.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Metal wasn't mainstream in the 70s and 80s and isn't now. Sure, a couple of songs here and there would get play, but it was always a counter-culture. It thrives on NOT being mainstream.

I think Miami nails it here.

Christ go look at the charts in the 70s and show me Sabbath or other metal bands on the charts with any regularity.

Some hair metal bands got there in the 80s but those were mainly with their power ballads not their regular fare.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:52

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:still bummed that VH1 cancelled "That Metal Show" - was the best show on TV.

Robert? VH1Classic.

Eddie says they're still trying to bring it back elsewhere.
that's what I meant.

Actually went to the show (not a taping but more like a "road show") at The Token Lounge in Westland.

Also saw John 5 there once. Hung out a bit - cool dude, really down to Earth.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 15:53

LooseGoose wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Metal wasn't mainstream in the 70s and 80s and isn't now.  Sure, a couple of songs here and there would get play, but it was always a counter-culture.  It thrives on NOT being mainstream.  

Christ go look at the charts in the 70s and show me Sabbath or other metal bands on the charts with any regularity.

Some hair metal bands got there in the 80s but those were mainly with their power ballads not their regular fare.
it could be argued, though, that what was counterculture in the 70's is mainstream now. Now that marketing execs who make decisions are using the music from that era in corporate commercials now.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 8 Nov 2016 - 16:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

it could be argued, though, that what was counterculture in the 70's is mainstream now. Now that marketing execs who make decisions are using the music from that era in corporate commercials now.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in one or two of my responses to Anti. If you have a genre that thrives on being counter-culture, rebellious, non-mainstream, reaching disaffected youth, etc., then that genre is not going to do well reaching new young fans when it's the business and community leaders that like that music.

It still amazing when I stop and think how common it is to go to a hockey game and they're playing Crazy Train during stoppages, or when Quiet Riot is in a TV commercial. But in the 80s, that was considered stuff for the wild, disrespectful youth, while Tipper Gore was trying to get it all banned.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Thu 10 Nov 2016 - 11:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in one or two of my responses to Anti. If you have a genre that thrives on being counter-culture, rebellious, non-mainstream, reaching disaffected youth, etc., then that genre is not going to do well reaching new young fans when it's the business and community leaders that like that music.

It still amazing when I stop and think how common it is to go to a hockey game and they're playing Crazy Train during stoppages, or when Quiet Riot is in a TV commercial. But in the 80s, that was considered stuff for the wild, disrespectful youth, while Tipper Gore was trying to get it all banned.
I always marvel at how tame the devil at the time - Twisted Sister - was compared to what passes as radio-friendly pop music now.

I also loved it when Dee Snider tore the PMRC hearings apart - my daughter (sorry For bin) watched his entire testimony on YouTube recently. I had forgotten how good it was.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gHost Spartan on Thu 10 Nov 2016 - 11:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

There's the definition problems and this isn't really an argument, just my opinion. For me AC/DC falls into the "hard rock" category, not metal. I've seen people place them in both categories depending on the list though.
this - it's a constant conversation in our house. 80's metal vs hard rock vs glam metal vs hair metal, etc

and, the strange thing, is that some bands transcend each. For instance, the Shout at the Devil record was pretty much straight up hard rock but the Crue got decidedly more glam/hair metal as they moved through the 80's. Same with Def Leppard - they started out fairly hard rock-ish with On Through the Night, High an Dry and even Pyromania to an extent. Definitely got softer and more hair/glam afterwards.

AC/DC is one band that has remained pretty much true to their roots from their inception - always just a good, pounding hard rock band with simple chords and musicianship but, nonetheless, ear-enticing.

I agree re: Motley Crue. Their first two records were metal, all the way.

Def Leppard's first album was just such a bad record I frankly don't know how to define it. It sounded dated just two years after it was released. Pyromania is a rock album, I wouldn't call it metal. Their subsequent work is pop music, there's nothing even remotely resembling metal -
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum