What are your favorite metal bands?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are your favorite metal bands?

Post by gHost Spartan on 2016-11-10, 11:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
it could be argued, though, that what was counterculture in the 70's is mainstream now. Now that marketing execs who make decisions are using the music from that era in corporate commercials now.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at in one or two of my responses to Anti. If you have a genre that thrives on being counter-culture, rebellious, non-mainstream, reaching disaffected youth, etc., then that genre is not going to do well reaching new young fans when it's the business and community leaders that like that music.

It still amazing when I stop and think how common it is to go to a hockey game and they're playing Crazy Train during stoppages, or when Quiet Riot is in a TV commercial. But in the 80s, that was considered stuff for the wild, disrespectful youth, while Tipper Gore was trying to get it all banned.

Honestly bro, I don't know where you grew up but neither Ozzy nor Quiet Riot were considered anything even remotely dangerous. Ozzy maybe a little more than Quiet Riot, but the latter was essentially a guitar-driven pop band. At that time, mid-80s, there was so much more out there that was considered far more "dangerous", with Dead Kennedys as an example and some of the more hard sounding alternative music. None of those bands received any airplay and weren't broadcasted on MTV, whereas Quiet Riot and to a lesser extent Ozzy, were MTV mainstays.

I think what Tipper Gore was upset about was the much darker music like Judas Priest and hard core rap music laced with fuck and the n-word. In fact, I like to think that a band like Quiet Riot would not even be on her radar.

Music trends obviously come and go and oftentimes do not last very long. Right now I'm reading a book called Britpop! about the early to mid-90s British music scene and it's really quite fascinating.
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-11-10, 12:26

gHost Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:this - it's a constant conversation in our house. 80's metal vs hard rock vs glam metal vs hair metal, etc

and, the strange thing, is that some bands transcend each. For instance, the Shout at the Devil record was pretty much straight up hard rock but the Crue got decidedly more glam/hair metal as they moved through the 80's. Same with Def Leppard - they started out fairly hard rock-ish with On Through the Night, High an Dry and even Pyromania to an extent. Definitely got softer and more hair/glam afterwards.

AC/DC is one band that has remained pretty much true to their roots from their inception - always just a good, pounding hard rock band with simple chords and musicianship but, nonetheless, ear-enticing.

I agree re: Motley Crue. Their first two records were metal, all the way.

Def Leppard's first album was just such a bad record I frankly don't know how to define it. It sounded dated just two years after it was released. Pyromania is a rock album, I wouldn't call it metal. Their subsequent work is pop music, there's nothing even remotely resembling metal -
agree on all counts.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2016-11-10, 12:30

gHost Spartan wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was getting at in one or two of my responses to Anti. If you have a genre that thrives on being counter-culture, rebellious, non-mainstream, reaching disaffected youth, etc., then that genre is not going to do well reaching new young fans when it's the business and community leaders that like that music.

It still amazing when I stop and think how common it is to go to a hockey game and they're playing Crazy Train during stoppages, or when Quiet Riot is in a TV commercial. But in the 80s, that was considered stuff for the wild, disrespectful youth, while Tipper Gore was trying to get it all banned.

Honestly bro, I don't know where you grew up but neither Ozzy nor Quiet Riot were considered anything even remotely dangerous. Ozzy maybe a little more than Quiet Riot, but the latter was essentially a guitar-driven pop band. At that time, mid-80s, there was so much more out there that was considered far more "dangerous", with Dead Kennedys as an example and some of the more hard sounding alternative music. None of those bands received any airplay and weren't broadcasted on MTV, whereas Quiet Riot and to a lesser extent Ozzy, were MTV mainstays.

I think what Tipper Gore was upset about was the much darker music like Judas Priest and hard core rap music laced with fuck and the n-word. In fact, I like to think that a band like Quiet Riot would not even be on her radar.

Music trends obviously come and go and oftentimes do not last very long. Right now I'm reading a book called Britpop! about the early to mid-90s British music scene and it's really quite fascinating.
I didn't say Quiet Riot was "dangerous", just that it was among the music for the wild, disrespectful youth. All metal was (hair metal, less so) looked at with the same disdain/fear by the "establishment", regardless of what they really sung about. It was the harder than usual music (for the time), the long hair and leather, and the large following of people flipping off the idea of authority. Quiet Riot was tamer than a lot, but still had the hair, the leather, and the fans. Ozzy, no question, raised the ire of the older folks, what with the biting heads off bats and doves (intentional or not).

Of course, there were more rebellious, dangerous, etc. bands out there, but I was talking about bands that you hear at family-friendly events today. Ozzy and Quiet Riot were only MTV mainstays during the hour or so per week that MTV actually devoted to heavy metal.

Tipper was pretty much against any heavy metal. The hair, the makeup, talk of sex, drugs, the devil, rebellion, that was all her problem with it. It evolved, and a compromise was reached where the labels were just put on albums with explicit lyrics, but it started out as more than that. As Bob pointed out, Dee Snider was one of the main battlers against her, and Twisted Sister were very tame. Judas Priest wasn't darker than Ozzy or Twisted Sister, they just had the lawsuit about the kid that supposedly killed himself because of them. Yes, she was also just as much against the rap music that discussed sex, as well as the bad language.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2016-11-10, 12:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was getting at in one or two of my responses to Anti.  If you have a genre that thrives on being counter-culture, rebellious, non-mainstream, reaching disaffected youth, etc., then that genre is not going to do well reaching new young fans when it's the business and community leaders that like that music.

It still amazing when I stop and think how common it is to go to a hockey game and they're playing Crazy Train during stoppages, or when Quiet Riot is in a TV commercial.  But in the 80s, that was considered stuff for the wild, disrespectful youth, while Tipper Gore was trying to get it all banned.
I always marvel at how tame the devil at the time - Twisted Sister - was compared to what passes as radio-friendly pop music now.

I also loved it when Dee Snider tore the PMRC hearings apart - my daughter (sorry For bin) watched his entire testimony on YouTube recently. I had forgotten how good it was.
Yeah, he was awesome.  Really showed that some of those wild guys are actually quite intelligent.

While he was good to speak in front of Congressional hearings and the general public, I also quite liked how Blackie Lawless would express himself, such as the first minute or so of this video (from their live album, "Live in the Raw").  You guys may not want to listen to this at work or in front of young kids, so I typed what he says below (almost all from memory without listening to it)

"So, I've been reading an awful lot in the newspapers and the magazines about me and my boys here.  And I was reading one article in particular, about an organization you might have heard of before, they're called the PMRC (boos from the crowd).  Well, I read that they think that WE ARE SEXUAL PERVERTS! (cheers).  Now, this is from an organization called the Washington Wives.  I don't know about you, but to me, that sounds like some god damn, Jackie Collins Hollywood fucking novel if you ask me.  Well this is for that whole bunch, because they can SUCK ME, SUCK ME, EAT ME RAW, THIS IS HARDER FASTER!!!"

Ahh, Blackie, what an orator. Almost brings a tear to the eye.  Seriously, though, I fucking love Blackie and WASP.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-11-17, 14:32

The Onion ‏@TheOnion 17m17 minutes ago
Biden Forges President’s Signature On Executive Order To Make December Dokken History Month http://trib.al/aoOxqY9

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-11-27, 13:02

Something you wouldn't have dreamed up 20 years ago....

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-12-27, 14:06

Oathbreaker. Female vocalist.

Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine on 2016-12-27, 14:16

Where have all the rock stars gone? Pretty sad state of affairs when your most bad boy rock star is Justin Bieber. The music industry is too polite. Hipsters acting like they didn't grow up in a subdivision and people with normal childhoods playing the role of a fucked up rock n roll soul.

Nikki Sixx needs to start a boot camp. At least rap stars still have violent arrest records. They're holding on waiting for the rest of these Streisand's to catch up.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2016-12-27, 17:11

xsanguine wrote:Where have all the rock stars gone? Pretty sad state of affairs when your most bad boy rock star is Justin Bieber. The music industry is too polite. Hipsters acting like they didn't grow up in a subdivision and people with normal childhoods playing the role of a fucked up rock n roll soul.

Nikki Sixx needs to start a boot camp. At least rap stars still have violent arrest records. They're holding on waiting for the rest of these Streisand's to catch up.
Well, most of the good ones (especially as it relates to metal, since that's what this thread is about) are into their late 40s, 50s, or beyond now, so their spending more time chasing their grandkids around than raising hell.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine on 2016-12-27, 17:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Where have all the rock stars gone? Pretty sad state of affairs when your most bad boy rock star is Justin Bieber. The music industry is too polite. Hipsters acting like they didn't grow up in a subdivision and people with normal childhoods playing the role of a fucked up rock n roll soul.

Well, most of the good ones (especially as it relates to metal, since that's what this thread is about) are into their late 40s, 50s, or beyond now, so their spending more time chasing their grandkids around than raising hell.

I tend to do that (go off topic), but it bothers me that the amount of relevant musicians would fit into a corporate structure a little too well. We need the Cobains and the Amy Winehouses just as we needed Ozzy, GG Allin and Lemmy. Where's the art (which requires dysfunction)?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-01-09, 14:26

If you're a UFO/Schenker fan this is for you. What I've seen of it on YouTube is great. Schenker is playing so much better sober.

MSG Live in Tokyo with the original vocalists...ALL of them.

Michael Schenker announces live album and concert film

Better pics:
MICHAEL SCHENKER FEST 'LIVE' TOKYO FEATURING BARDEN, BONNET AND McAULEY OUT IN MARCH

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob on 2017-01-09, 15:15

I think Limp Bizkit and Creed are also fantastic metal bands.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-01-19, 20:06

Iron Maiden announces North American tour. Oscoda County Fair not among the venues.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-north-american-tour/
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-01-19, 20:09

Turtleneck wrote:Iron Maiden announces North American tour. Oscoda County Fair not among the venues.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-north-american-tour/

Not hitting MI at all, they must be peeved at us.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-01-19, 20:43

Guilty Pleasure. Ratt
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-01-19, 20:53

kingstonlake wrote:Guilty Pleasure. Ratt

Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-01-27, 12:30

THIS DAY IN METAL ‏@ThisDayInMETAL 1h1 hour ago
Jan 27th 1980 #BonScott played his last show with @acdc in #Southhampton #UK #HardRock #ClassicRock #LetThereBeRock

============
RIP Bon

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-01-27, 12:35

kingstonlake wrote:Guilty Pleasure. Ratt
saw Bon Jovi open up for Ratt back in about 1983 or so..

still have the ticket stub.. pretty funny seeing "Ratt" in huge letters with "and special guest Bon Jovi" in font so small it's barely legible.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-03, 14:20

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-07, 11:52

CEO of Dean Guitars and bassist for Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and others.....

Michael Schenker ‏@MW_Schenker
Rest In Peace Elliott Dean Rubinson.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-19, 07:53

I was heartbroken that day.....

THIS DAY IN METAL ‏@ThisDayInMETAL 7h7 hours ago
Feb 19th 1980 #BonScott singer with @acdc died in #London at the age of 33. #RIP #HardRock

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Plax on 2017-02-19, 15:29

Shamless plug for my tight bros...
Free Plax
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Plax on 2017-02-19, 19:00

Shameless plug for another group of tight bros...

And one more plug for my man Fred Cole's old metal band, Zipper...
Free Plax
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-03-14, 11:28

Not metal - but I got a chuckle out of this.

Dan McLaughlin‏Verified account @baseballcrank 1h1 hour ago
Dan McLaughlin Retweeted Consequence of Sound
You start out a rebel who hopes to die before he gets old, and you end up a lounge act.

Consequence of Sound‏Verified account @coslive
The Who are getting a Las Vegas residency: http://cos.lv/YycM309Tqot

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by War Spartans on 2017-03-14, 20:33

Most of the 70s, 80s and 90s bands were/are still my favorites.  First concert I ever went to was in 1984 - Anthrax and Metallica at the Roseland Ballroon in NYC!

Surprised I haven't seen this video yet...one of the greatest opening riffs for a metal song.

War Spartans
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-03-19, 12:00

RIP today Randy Rhoads 35 years - 1982

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-03-19, 12:39

Another RIP for today - the author of one of the most iconic guitar riffs of all time. Paul Kossoff of Free....

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake on 2017-03-20, 10:26

Not sure how many of you can tolerate death metal vocals but the payoff is there if you're able. A couple favorites from an Australian Melodic Death Metal/Gothenburg style band Be'lakor.

AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-08, 17:26

THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL 12m12 minutes ago
More
Apr 8th 1980 #BrianJohnson officially joined @acdc as their new singer!! #HardRock

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake on 2017-04-09, 22:36

The new Mastodon album is solid
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-10, 08:19

AnomanderRake wrote:The new Mastodon album is solid

I listened to part of it last night, not bad. I was never a big fan but so far it's pretty listenable.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-14, 10:48

Quite a big day in the history of metal

THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL 4m4 minutes ago
Apr 14th 1980 @IronMaiden released their debut album "Iron Maiden" #RunningFree #Sanctuary #StrangeWorld #PhantomOfTheOpera #HeavyMetal

THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL 11h11 hours ago
Apr 14th 1980 @judaspriest released the album "British Steel" #Grinder #BreakingTheLaw #United #MetalGods #LivingAfterMidnight #ClassicMetal

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2017-04-14, 11:32

Favorite metal band is Metallica.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-17, 10:42

THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL 7m7 minutes ago
More
Apr 17th 1980 @BlackSabbath performed first ever live show with @OfficialRJDio on vocals in #Aurich #Germany

Still think 2 of the best Sabbath albums were done with Dio.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-17, 10:49

LooseGoose wrote:THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL 7m7 minutes ago
More
Apr 17th 1980 @BlackSabbath performed first ever live show with @OfficialRJDio on vocals in #Aurich #Germany

might be blasphemy but I'm a much bigger fan of Sabbath with Dio vs. Ozzy.

was actually rockin' Live Evil on vinyl yesterday morning.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-17, 10:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:THIS DAY IN METAL‏ @ThisDayInMETAL  7m7 minutes ago
More

Unfortunately we can't argue on this one.  I saw Sabbath with Dio on the Black & Blue tour and RJD solo 5-10 times.   I loved Ronnie as a front man, never knew he lived in MI until he died.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-17, 10:56

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Unfortunately we can't argue on this one.  I saw Sabbath with Dio on the Black & Blue tour and RJD solo 5-10 times.   I loved Ronnie as a front man, never knew he lived in MI until he died.

Ronnie James Dio had the greatest voice in the history of metal.. will be difficult for anyone to convince me otherwise.

Also, from all reports, and overall great guy, too.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2017-04-17, 12:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Ronnie James Dio had the greatest voice in the history of metal.. will be difficult for anyone to convince me otherwise.

It's hard to argue against RJD as the best voice in metal. I could give some names that are right there with him for various reasons, but none that I could make an honest argument are better.

Dio was the first concert I ever went to, at Flint's IMA arena for the Sacred Heart tour. I was 13, and short and skinny for my age, but was on the main floor. The first couple of songs were hell, as I was getting crushed. On the bright side, I got within 1 person of the stage. Then the crush settled down, and I ended up about 4-5 people away from the stage. I was with a buddy who was also short and skinny, and we couldn't see much, but these two complete strangers put us up on their shoulders for a few songs. One of those songs happened to be Rock N Roll Children, and as we were two children, sticking out of the crowd on top of others' shoulders, and only about 10 feet from the stage, Dio pointed to us a few times and gave us a thumbs up.

Cool story, bro, I know.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-17, 12:27

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's hard to argue against RJD as the best voice in metal.  I could give some names that are right there with him for various reasons, but none that I could make an honest argument are better.  

Dio was the first concert I ever went to, at Flint's IMA arena for the Sacred Heart tour.  I was 13, and short and skinny for my age, but was on the main floor.  The first couple of songs were hell, as I was getting crushed.  On the bright side, I got within 1 person of the stage.  Then the crush settled down, and I ended up about 4-5 people away from the stage.  I was with a buddy who was also short and skinny, and we couldn't see much, but these two complete strangers put us up on their shoulders for a few songs.  One of those songs happened to be Rock N Roll Children, and as we were two children, sticking out of the crowd on top of others' shoulders, and only about 10 feet from the stage, Dio pointed to us a few times and gave us a thumbs up.  

Cool story, bro, I know.
that's an awesome story.

my first concert was KISS in Asheville, NC... probably 1977 or so -  I was either 7-8 (my parents were rather neglectful - both physically and emotionally) -

I don't remember much about it other than that it was incredibly loud.. and it was this dark space with an incredible energy. I was hooked on rock and roll immediately and the rest is history.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-17, 13:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's hard to argue against RJD as the best voice in metal.  I could give some names that are right there with him for various reasons, but none that I could make an honest argument are better.  

Dio was the first concert I ever went to, at Flint's IMA arena for the Sacred Heart tour.  I was 13, and short and skinny for my age, but was on the main floor.  The first couple of songs were hell, as I was getting crushed.  On the bright side, I got within 1 person of the stage.  Then the crush settled down, and I ended up about 4-5 people away from the stage.  I was with a buddy who was also short and skinny, and we couldn't see much, but these two complete strangers put us up on their shoulders for a few songs.  One of those songs happened to be Rock N Roll Children, and as we were two children, sticking out of the crowd on top of others' shoulders, and only about 10 feet from the stage, Dio pointed to us a few times and gave us a thumbs up.  

Cool story, bro, I know.

From the Dio database......the 3rd(!) time that tour went through MI.

27.06.1986 IMA Sports Arena Flint, MI USA Accept Sold out, capacity 5913, 5500 or 4600 people depending on the source

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum