Coffee

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Coffee

Post by Cameron on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 1:03

I don't care how shitty the coffee you're drinking is, if you don't drink it black, you have girl parts.
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 1:18

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Did you smoke a marijuana? That's disgusting. No right-thinking coffee lover drinks cold coffee, ever.
Use to think the same. Hit a drive-thru Starbucks most mornings on the way to work and always got a venti dark roast. One warm and humid morning last summer I started wondering why I was buying hot coffee. Decided to try their cold brew. It was fucking great...very refreshing. Ordered it a few days later but they didn't have any. Tried their iced doubleshot. Was just as good as the cold brew.

Ended up trying iced coffee drinks at Tim Hortons and McDonalds...they both suck.

It's not a popular sentiment around here, but I love Starbucks. However, as crazy as I am about their beans, I still draw the line at any cold brews. I'm glad you like it, though, and I know it's becoming even more popular, but I've tried through the years and I can't get used to it. BTW, I actually enjoy hot coffee in tbe summer, but I also blast the AC in the car.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 1:23

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Use straws bros. No one like yellow teeth. I miss coffee. Been awhile. When do I start to feel better ?

That's what dentists are for. I'd prefer to avoid having the plastic from the straw leaching into my hot beverage.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 1:25

y2kMgrad wrote:I just drink Folgers and put Hazelnut International Delight in it. Fantastic coffee every morning. Basically a warm dessert on my cold drive to work. I've never even heard of a french press. That sounds like something you would do to your jeans.

I like that we all have different personal tastes, and for that reason I usually try to avoid getting too judgey, but dude, that sounds dreadful. #nohate

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 8:16

y2kMgrad wrote:I just drink Folgers and put Hazelnut International Delight in it. Fantastic coffee every morning. Basically a warm dessert on my cold drive to work. I've never even heard of a french press. That sounds like something you would do to your jeans.
I use to be like that, but consider using what you spend on the International Delight chemicals toward better coffee beans, maybe even grind your own, good coffee doesn't need that shit, neither do you.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 8:18

I prefer my coffee hot.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 8:27

tGreenWay wrote:

I like that we all have different personal tastes, and for that reason I usually try to avoid getting too judgey, but dude, that sounds dreadful. #nohate

Posting about coffee at 1:25 AM is funny.

Never like stuff in my coffee. Like the taste of coffee.

At home we have Dunkin Donuts (2.5 lb bag from Costco) and a Bunn Phase Brew HG (discontinued) that didn't use a holding tank like other Bunn models.

One the road its still The Dunk, then Bigby, Tim Horton, 7/11 ifyou can find one. Starbucks has always tasted burned to me.
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on Thu 16 Feb 2017 - 8:37

Don't look it up on urban dictionary whatever you do....

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 18:15

MattyFresh wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Have a couple Bunn's at work.  The only coffee there is Maxwell House...fucking awful.  It is amazing how much shitty coffee flavor is in one of those packets, which contain very little coffee.  Have brought beans and a grinder to work and it takes at least 5 times as much coffee as one of the packets for the coffee to not taste weak.  The taste is better than MH but not much.  Usually has a bitter taste that I have not experienced with my home coffee maker.   Only thing makes sense is it is something about the Bunn.

Have a single cup Keurig I'm thinking about bringing to work.  Much better than the Bunn but not that great either.  Might look into a French press  

I am sure someone can tell you about some fancy deal but i got this for xmas and enjoy it thoroughly

French Press Coffee & Tea Maker Complete Bundle | 34 Oz
It showed up today. Looks to be fairly well made for the price I paid.

Instructions say to use all 4 screens. Guessing the 2 larger ones go on first, then the smaller screens. 8 grams coffee to one cup water. Can hardly wait to try this out in the morning.

Any tips you can offer for brewing and/or cleaning? Does it do okay in the dishwasher?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 18:33

Yeah $25 for a press with a 5 year warranty works for me. I've had it for a couple months and have done the same method but just messed around with different amounts of screens. It is dishwasher safe and I am always making sure its dry because I don't want rust. Lots of times though I just do hand washing and drying. Heres the steps I follow:

Step 1 Before you start grinding the coffee, heat up some water. The French Press uses a coarse grind. For the 8 cup French Press you will need to grind approximately 56 grams (about 8 Tablespoons) of coffee. The ground coffee should be about as coarse as breadcrumbs. Some of the stronger recipes say 1 tablespoon of coffee for every 3 fluid ounces of water. You may increase the amount of coffee to your desired taste. Preheat the glass and plunger by pouring hot water inside the carafe and plunge once to warm everything up. Discard the rinse water.
Step 2 Add the ground coffee into the French Press!
Step 3 Once the water reaches boil, wait about 30 seconds before pouring onto the coffee. Pour the hot water into the French Press saturating all of your grounds, stir the "bloom" (or top layer) and affix the press pot lid. The ideal temperature is at 205 degrees F.
Step 4 Let it steep for approximately 4 minutes. Start your timer for 3.5-4 minutes if you don't want it to be too heavy.
Step 5 Plunge down! Now it's time to be very gentle and press slow. It is normal to feel an easy resistance. Before serving it is very important to poor the coffee in serving cup or in a carafe. If you will leave the coffee sitting above the grounds in the French press this will obtain a heavy and harsh taste! If you have some sediments into your coffee means that you need to add more filter screens in order to have a pure coffee.
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:02

Texted my UM daughter this evening looking for advice because I knew she had a French press.

Turns out she has moved on to something she considers better.  Anyone have one of these?

Chemex
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:07

I've been doing pourover coffee, way easier and it turns out pretty good. Get the v style pourover carafe, some bamboo filters, something to pour hot water with. Profit.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:08

The Pantry wrote:Texted my UM daughter this evening looking for advice because I knew she had a French press.

Turns out she has moved on to something she considers better.  Anyone have one of these?

Chemex

Yep, something similar. :)

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:14

Jake from State Farm wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Texted my UM daughter this evening looking for advice because I knew she had a French press.

Chemex

The Chemex thing looks to have proprietary filters. What does yours have for filtering?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:19

The Pantry wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

The Chemex thing looks to have proprietary filters. What does yours have for filtering?

Melitta filters, you can buy them anywhere.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:21

Chemex

I have vases at home. Coffee is a kuerex one cup but when I'm out it's 7/11 black.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Fri 17 Feb 2017 - 19:48

DWags wrote:

Chemex

I have vases at home. Coffee is a kuerex one cup but when I'm out it's 7/11 black.
Haven't had 7/11 black in many years.

Spent a couple unplanned days at Troy Beaumont last week. The only coffee they offered for room service was decaf. Stuff blew my mind because it was shockingly good. 50 times better than the high test at work. Would like to know where they get it.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 7:46

This study showed coffee lovers who drank two to three cups a day reduced their chances of death by 18 percent.

This is BIG news.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 7:49

Doesn't surprise me at all. Seems pretty elementary that if you're drinking coffee you've cheated death.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 7:54

LooseGoose wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. Seems pretty elementary that if you're drinking coffee you've cheated death.
2-3 cups of coffee/day decreases your chances of death, 5-6 cups of coffee/day increases the chances of death for those around you.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 8:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. Seems pretty elementary that if you're drinking coffee you've cheated death.
2-3 cups of coffee/day decreases your chances of death, 5-6 cups of coffee/day increases the chances of death for those around you.

I'm pretty bitter over coffee. I was a pot a day or more drinker for decades.....then it started triggering my AF. Now I can have one small cup a day, any more than that and I get the flutters. It sucks.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 8:20

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm pretty bitter over coffee.   I was a pot a day or more drinker for decades.....then it started triggering my AF.   Now I can have one small cup a day, any more than that and I get the flutters.  It sucks.
A-Fib? A-Flutter?
I do believe that
one is better than the other
either can lead to a noose
I do believe that, oh Loose of Goose.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: