The Michigan State Parks Thread

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2017-04-28, 20:39

LooseGoose wrote:Obviously not all in State Parks - but a series of maps for beginning mushroom hunters.

Michigan Morels
Ever been out in the great outdoors, seeing the wonders of Nature, hunting for the great morel mushrooms all on Mother’s Day weekend? All of this and more happens here in Mesick MI at the annual Mesick Mushroom Festival. Mesick MI. is the mushroom capital in the United States. Come enjoy our adventurous fun filled days, for people of all ages. There are many activities to be enjoyed by the family. Come hunt for mushrooms, Blessing of the Jeeps, food of all kinds, concerts, many events for kids, baseball and volleyball. We will have a great grand parade which if fun for all ages.  View our grand parade page. Treasures glore abound on this weekend be it in the great hunt, games, markets or just seeing old friends from past years. Another event is the Mud Bogg. Watch the mud fly all over. The sky truly is the limit for quality family- friendly activities, fun, finds, fast thrills and food at our great hometown festival.    Mesick is a small town, with a big heart. Come join us so we may help stimulate your heart, bring back old memories. View our lodging and sponsors pages for a great place to stay overnight or for more then a day. This makes for a fabulous complete vacation or day for you!

Mesick Mushroom Festival..May 12-14
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-01, 09:03

Belle Isle Park‏ @BelleIsle_Park 19m19 minutes ago
More
Accepting apps for summer work @ Belle Isle, Milliken State Park & Harbor https://lnks.gd/2/3Zt8q3 #PureMichigan #jobs #MiParks

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-03, 20:28

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-03, 21:44

LooseGoose wrote:Great Lakes to add 15 trillion gallons by summer

The lakes look good for summer.
Made me think of the Great Lakes water pipeline to the Southwest that's been proposed for years.  Which then made me remember Sam Kinison.  He was great.  Died far too young, and ironically, on a trip to perform in Nevada.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-06, 16:58

Van Riper State Park‏ @vanriperstatepk 2m2 minutes ago
More
The monarch's are on their way to Michigan! Great information if you are interested in helping to sustain and... http://fb.me/8qseIovh0

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-06, 17:26

Driven past Van Riper at least 100 times. Never stopped or stayed there because it never fit the Detroit/Laurium itinerary. Too close to the Keweenaw on both the way up and the way down.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-09, 08:46

Spring star party with 'outstanding views' planned for Sleeping Bear Dunes

EMPIRE, MI - Seeing the moon, checking out Jupiter's brightness and getting star-finding tips are all on the list this weekend when Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore hosts its spring star gazing party.

It's planned for Saturday, May 13, from 9:00-11:00 p.m.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 on 2017-05-10, 17:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I gotta say, Belle Isle is a lot nicer now that the State has taken it over. And I don't mean in a The_Dude way, I mean the activities, the facilities, the beach, etc. I was impressed. Worth checking out.

Was down in Detroit for work a few weeks ago and decided to swing down Belle Isle before I went home - I was really impressed. It was clean and well maintained. I just did a drive-through, but I would gladly spend an afternoon down there sometime.

My favorite (apart from the Mackinac State Parks, which are in a class of their own) is Island Lake. I know there are definitely better State Parks, but Island Lake is close, clean, and offers a lot of different things to do. Sometimes I can actually trick myself into thinking that I'm up north when I walk around there, but it never lasts too long.
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-16, 22:44

Vintage campers to gather at state park on Lake Michigan shoreline

MUSKEGON, MI - PJ Hoffmaster State Park is inviting its campers to take a step back in time.

The West Michigan park located on the shores of Lake Michigan at 6585 Lake Harbor Road will host its annual Vintage Camper Gathering from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 3.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-25, 09:47

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine on 2017-05-25, 15:38

Anyone been to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness? Not the RV park type areas (Lake O The Clouds, etc) but the foot traffic only part?

I'm mostly curious about the trout fishing and whether the bears are as bitch-made as in the lower peninsula... or if I gotta actually think about where to hang muh food.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-05-25, 15:50

LooseGoose wrote:Vintage campers to gather at state park on Lake Michigan shoreline

MUSKEGON, MI - PJ Hoffmaster State Park is inviting its campers to take a step back in time.

The West Michigan park located on the shores of Lake Michigan at 6585 Lake Harbor Road will host its annual Vintage Camper Gathering from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 3.

I think these folks should show up at the Vintage Camper Gathering..

they're the OG's of Vintage Camping.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2017-05-25, 16:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I think these folks should show up at the Vintage Camper Gathering..

they're the OG's of Vintage Camping.

Second pic looks like some tailgaters at a trump rally

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist on 2017-05-26, 01:48

xsanguine wrote:Anyone been to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness? Not the RV park type areas (Lake O The Clouds, etc) but the foot traffic only part?

I'm mostly curious about the trout fishing and whether the bears are as bitch-made as in the lower peninsula... or if I gotta actually think about where to hang muh food.

I've back packed the Porkies twice. If you stay at the designated campsites along the trails there are bear poles that you can hang your food. If you stay off trail to fish certain parts of the rivers, I would suggest hanging your food.

I always hung my food there and only one time had a bear approach our camp at night, but it left very quickly.
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine on 2017-05-26, 02:12

Senior Dickfist wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Anyone been to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness? Not the RV park type areas (Lake O The Clouds, etc) but the foot traffic only part?

I've back packed the Porkies twice. If you stay at the designated campsites along the trails there are bear poles that you can hang your food. If you stay off trail to fish certain parts of the rivers, I would suggest hanging your food.

I always hung my food there and only one time had a bear approach our camp at night, but it left very quickly.

Good stuff! Have you fished the rivers at all?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-04, 08:16

Kitch-iti-Kipi is the prettiest spot in Michigan you've never heard of

More than 10,000 gallons of water bubble up every minute from the limestone fissures at Kitch-iti-Kipi, Michigan’s largest freshwater spring, located at Palms Book State Park in Manistique in the Upper Peninsula. The spring is 200 feet across and more than 40 feet deep, it maintains a constant temperature of 45 degrees, and it's easily one of Michigan's true natural wonders.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-13, 17:57

Van Riper State Park‏ @vanriperstatepk 4h4 hours ago
More
Stop into our campground contact station and get your very own Love Our Parks Coffee! #mistateparks #madeinmichigan #Coffee

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 11:29

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 5m5 minutes ago
More
#Cheboygan #StatePark fans, don't miss chance to review park's draft management plan by July 21 https://lnks.gd/2/3wtPJ2 #MiParks

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-06-27, 11:40

LooseGoose wrote:Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 5m5 minutes ago
More
#Cheboygan #StatePark fans, don't miss chance to review park's draft management plan by July 21 https://lnks.gd/2/3wtPJ2 #MiParks
thanks, man.. I'll review it after lunch.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 18:04

Van Riper State Park‏ @vanriperstatepk 45m45 minutes ago
More
How about 103 Michigan State Parks to visit! Has anyone actually been to all of Michigan's amazing state parks?... http://fb.me/51fyCiDqT

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-05, 19:00

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — Grand Haven State Park was evacuated and shut down Monday evening after police responded to a large fight on the beach.

Grand Haven officers were called to the park around 7 p.m. for a disturbance. The situation continued to get worse throughout the evening hours. Officers say 300 people were causing problems and began fighting. They say there were eight to 10 fights taking place.

Officers working on crowd control called in all available off-duty officers and for help from the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department, Michigan State Police, and Norton Shores Police Department. State park employees made the decision to close the park.

Everyone inside the park, besides those camping there, were asked to leave. Officers were able to clear the park by 9:30 p.m. Patrols in downtown Grand Haven were increased following the evacuation to make sure the violence didn't move.

Huge fight closes Grand Haven State Park
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-05, 19:08

The Pantry wrote:GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — Grand Haven State Park was evacuated and shut down Monday evening after police responded to a large fight on the beach.

Grand Haven officers were called to the park around 7 p.m. for a disturbance. The situation continued to get worse throughout the evening hours. Officers say 300 people were causing problems and began fighting. They say there were eight to 10 fights taking place.

Officers working on crowd control called in all available off-duty officers and for help from the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department, Michigan State Police, and Norton Shores Police Department. State park employees made the decision to close the park.

Everyone inside the park, besides those camping there, were asked to leave. Officers were able to clear the park by 9:30 p.m. Patrols in downtown Grand Haven were increased following the evacuation to make sure the violence didn't move.

Just completely disappointing. People just can't relax.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-05, 19:13

What is this I hear you can't bring your own campfire wood anymore starting next year?
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-05, 19:15

aualum06 wrote:What is this I hear you can't bring your own campfire wood anymore starting next year?
Had not heard that. Link?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-05, 19:17

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:What is this I hear you can't bring your own campfire wood anymore starting next year?

Was the good word around family camp at Otsego when we were up for the day on Sunday. Apparently that is what they were told, but I'm not sure I quite believe it
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-05, 20:08

aualum06 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Had not heard that. Link?

Was the good word around family camp at Otsego when we were up for the day on Sunday. Apparently that is what they were told, but I'm not sure I quite believe it

Another one skipping the pies.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-05, 20:42

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

I'll be there the whole week of the 24th
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-05, 20:52

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Make some pasties to critique next I roll through there? 48 hour notice?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-05, 22:14

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Make some pasties to critique next I roll through there? 48 hour notice?

I won't promise it but let me know and I'll see what's up.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-05, 22:15

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I'll be there the whole week of the 24th

Give me some warning and I'll work something out in Grayling.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist on 2017-07-06, 10:05

xsanguine wrote:
Senior Dickfist wrote:

Good stuff! Have you fished the rivers at all?

xsanguine, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I did not fish when I was there, but I did see what were likely some type of trout near the mouth of the Carp River. I would love to go fishing there.

Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-07-07, 07:44

The Pantry wrote:GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — Grand Haven State Park was evacuated and shut down Monday evening after police responded to a large fight on the beach.

So this is an interesting twist.

Tweets sent crowds to Grand Haven before brawl

There were warnings of potential trouble on social media. 24 Hour News 8 found tweets that were sent out days and weeks before the fight.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-07, 14:03

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 2h2 hours ago
More
Enjoy state's #lumber #history at Wood Shaving Days, Hartwick Pines, July 15-16 https://lnks.gd/2/53zRjL #familyfun @MIHistoryCenter

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2017-07-07, 18:19

The Pantry wrote:Use to camp a lot.  IMHO the only MSP that comes close to matching Pinery Provincial Park (Ontario) is Ludington.  The Pinery is beautiful with miles of beach and dunes along Lake Huron.  Unlike the parking-lot campsites at MSPs, the Pinery's are generally much bigger...some are huge.  Unlike Ludington, it is much easier to get reservations because there are far more campsites.  Best part is it's less than 2 hours away from Troy.  Been to Ludington a couple times.  Been to the Pinery probably 25 visits ranging from Memorial Day to Halloween.  Plenty to do there.  Highly recommend it to anyone, especially those in the Detroit area because it is so close.

There's a river cutting through the Pinery that has some great campsites along it.  Interestingly, it is named the Ausable

For Pantry...

We were just there this week. The water levels are redic high. I've been going there since I was a young lad and the beach has never been so small. It is usually 3x as wide.  The first set of dunes is carved out from the waves.  It was still awesome though.

And the Pinery is close enough to the border to fit in this thread  
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-07, 19:24

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Use to camp a lot.  IMHO the only MSP that comes close to matching Pinery Provincial Park (Ontario) is Ludington.  The Pinery is beautiful with miles of beach and dunes along Lake Huron.  Unlike the parking-lot campsites at MSPs, the Pinery's are generally much bigger...some are huge.  Unlike Ludington, it is much easier to get reservations because there are far more campsites.  Best part is it's less than 2 hours away from Troy.  Been to Ludington a couple times.  Been to the Pinery probably 25 visits ranging from Memorial Day to Halloween.  Plenty to do there.  Highly recommend it to anyone, especially those in the Detroit area because it is so close.

There's a river cutting through the Pinery that has some great campsites along it.  Interestingly, it is named the Ausable

For Pantry...

We were just there this week. The water levels are redic high. I've been going there since I was a young lad and the beach has never been so small. It is usually 3x as wide.  The first set of dunes is carved out from the waves.  It was still awesome though.

And the Pinery is close enough to the border to fit in this thread  
wow. Have never seen the beach that narrow. Pretty wild to see the dunes undercut like that. Haven't been there in maybe 10 years...beach was at least 5-6X wider.

What campground/area did you stay? Always liked Dunes #1 best during the summer and Riverside #4 (has some massive campsites) in the fall.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-10, 13:47

Michigan DNR‏Verified account @MichiganDNR 1h1 hour ago
More
Join us for a musical tribute to Michigan #lumberjacks @ Hartwick Pines July 29 https://lnks.gd/2/55br7p @MIHistoryCenter

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-11, 08:25

The Pantry wrote:

Campers at Michigan state parks might have to buy firewood on site in 2018

Michigan Department of Natural Resource officials stress this proposed policy is still being tweaked, and has not been given final approval. While there's been some recent confusion about the rules, Parks and Recreation Chief Ron Olson said he hopes a final version of the new firewood guidelines can be approved by fall - or at the latest, in December.

"The objective is to work on a way to minimize the spread of invasive species," Olson said. "That continues to be a problem."

To prevent the spread of tree-killing diseases, Michigan's environmental and agricultural leaders have long been proponents of the "Buy it where you burn it" mantra when it comes to firewood.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2017-07-11, 09:39

City of Manistique has done a helluva job turning what was a swamp into a very nice upscale camp ground.

First year of operation.  So far a hidden gem but that won't last long.  Each site has a ped with electricity, wifi and cable along with running water and sewer hook up.

https://manistiquelakeshorecampground.org
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-11, 10:00

GRR Spartan wrote:City of Manistique has done a helluva job turning what was a swamp into a very nice upscale camp ground.

First year of operation.  So far a hidden gem but that won't last long.  Each site has a ped with electricity, wifi and cable along with running water and sewer hook up.

https://manistiquelakeshorecampground.org

Holy cow...we're going to the UP for a week or so Sept so checked a few nights around the 10th. $50 a night?? Sorry, I'm too cheap for that, lol. I still just back off a fire trail in the woods and camp, much more isolation all the selection of sites in the world.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-11, 10:11

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Had not heard that. Link?

Campers at Michigan state parks might have to buy firewood on site in 2018

Michigan Department of Natural Resource officials stress this proposed policy is still being tweaked, and has not been given final approval. While there's been some recent confusion about the rules, Parks and Recreation Chief Ron Olson said he hopes a final version of the new firewood guidelines can be approved by fall - or at the latest, in December.

"The objective is to work on a way to minimize the spread of invasive species," Olson said. "That continues to be a problem."

To prevent the spread of tree-killing diseases, Michigan's environmental and agricultural leaders have long been proponents of the "Buy it where you burn it" mantra when it comes to firewood.

Money grab.
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum