Cutting the cable and phones are burying ESPN.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cutting the cable and phones are burying ESPN.

Post by MattyFresh on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:22

I've seen a few names pop up so far as being laid off... biggest names on air talent have been Dana O'Neil and Ed Werder.
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:26

MattyFresh wrote:I've seen a few names pop up so far as being laid off... biggest names on air talent have been Dana O'Neil and Ed Werder.

Supposedly Buccigross, too.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:I've seen a few names pop up so far as being laid off... biggest names on air talent have been Dana O'Neil and Ed Werder.

Supposedly Buccigross, too.

That would be a big fail by them. Honestly though he should leave that sinking ship.

@Buccigross
Bucci Mane

WHAT A DAY TO BE ALIVE!!!!!

Bucci Mane added,
Marisa GuthrieVerified account @MarisaGuthrie
Sources now saying #JohnBuccigross not gone, but will not say if his contract, up this summer, renewed or reduced . http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/layoffs-hit-espn-as-network-sheds-air-talent-997616
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:33

Please keep LeBatard and Stugotz

Please

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 11:44

Richard Deitsch‏Verified account @richarddeitsch 2h2 hours ago
More
It is immensely frustrating on this day to know that ESPN management was willing to pay Skip Bayless millions of dollars last year to stay.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 12:57

who ar3 these people?
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 13:07

Kanell is out. Hate to see someone lose their job, but glad he got the axe. He dragged Ryen Russillo down greatly.

Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 13:10

Death Roe wrote:Kanell is out. Hate to see someone lose their job, but glad he got the axe. He dragged Ryen Russillo down greatly.

Dude was brave enough to rock the turtleneck on live TV though.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 13:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Death Roe wrote:Kanell is out. Hate to see someone lose their job, but glad he got the axe. He dragged Ryen Russillo down greatly.

Dude was brave enough to rock the turtleneck on live TV though.

I was just starting to like him yesterday... I think his comments might have cost him.

MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 13:48

Wow...even Jayson Stark.

Jayson Stark‏Verified account @jaysonst

Following
More
For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 13:55

Desmond Howard
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 21:35

edit someone was fucking around

Last edited by Death Roe on Thu 27 Apr 2017 - 7:46; edited 1 time in total

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 22:11

Stark will get scooped up by fox and mlb network
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on Wed 26 Apr 2017 - 23:15

I Wouldn't be shocked to see Disney move East Coast productive to Orlando. The only reason they were the n Bristol was that's where ESPN founder was from and he found cheap real estate. Otherwise its can't get there from here.

Disney has existing studios and would think with reduced staff numbers and the ability of nearly everyone to produce their own remotes which is already happening.

Maybe keep a portion for the web site stays but it could also be moved to ESPN's LA facilities or Florida. I know they have dozens of people working on the site from remote locations.
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri 28 Apr 2017 - 22:13

Add Chad Ford to the list.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Mon 1 May 2017 - 20:43

Joe Nocera: The fall of ESPN has begun… and it’s only going to accelerate
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gHost Spartan on Mon 1 May 2017 - 22:07

Lots of great points by most of the posters in this thread. Nordic, the ESPN hate is because of guys like Stephen A. Smith, who has become the de facto face of the channel. Log onto ESPN.com and he's one of the first things that you see scrolling through the news and commentary.

Yes, ESPN does a great job broadcasting games but really, that's about it. People can argue that it's because we now have access to highlights on the internet from so many sources but if a show is good then people are going to watch. Are people really arguing that a really good show with charismatic hots talking sports isn't popular anymore? It's the talent, not necessarily everything else.

Anyway, who the fuck cares. Fuck ESPN
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 4 May 2017 - 12:55

Cord-cutting spikes fivefold in cable TV’s worst quarter ever

Cable's day of reckoning has come. With all the major cable and satellite companies having reported their quarterly numbers, analyst firm MoffettNathanson put together a new cord-cutting report, and things are bad. Pay-TV providers lost an estimated 762,000 pay-TV subscribers over the first three months of this year—five times more than they lost during the same period last year. To make matters worse, Q1 has historically been a strong season for pay TV.

"For the better part of 15 years, pundits have predicted that cord-cutting was the future," an apocalyptic Craig Moffett wrote. "Well, the future has arrived."

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Thu 4 May 2017 - 13:06

So, would now be a good time to call comcast and ask fro a recalibration of my bill?

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Thu 4 May 2017 - 13:09

DWags wrote:So, would now be a good time to call comcast and ask fro a recalibration of my bill?

Make sure you talk to the retention department and be nice to them. How long have you been a customer?

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on Thu 4 May 2017 - 13:46

Read somewhere that cable customer's bill includes $8.35 for ESPN and ESPN gets $6.00.

$2.35 x 12 x 762,000 is $20.5M the cable companies won't get for the next year. ESPN will be losing $54.8M for the this quarter's losses.

How many billions have they paid for what?
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Thu 4 May 2017 - 14:19

DR, I've been with Cpomcast forever, decades? I don't know. I've been in my house since 96, and I don't recall having anything else. Any advice when I call? I won't be a dick, but is there something you all have said that seems to help?

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Thu 4 May 2017 - 14:21

Every agent is different. I'd look at their online site to see what they are offering to new customers, see if they can give you that (they can but say they can't).

I'd mention that "Well, PlayStation Vue is only $35/month, Hulu and YouTube have TV services out there, etc." to see what else is offered.

I'd definitely say how long you've been a customer. 20 years and making payments on time? You should be worshiped by them.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Thu 4 May 2017 - 14:31

DWags wrote:So, would now be a good time to call comcast and ask fro a recalibration of my bill?
WOW knocked $35 off my monthly bill last week. Been with them 13 years
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Thu 4 May 2017 - 15:53

DWags wrote:DR, I've been with Cpomcast forever, decades?  I don't know. I've been in my house since 96, and I don't recall having anything else.  Any advice when I call?  I won't be a dick, but is there something you all have said that seems to help?

Here's my story. Two years ago I bought my own cable modem and returned Comcast's in person at their "store". After the rep checks in the modem and adjusts my bill, she asks if there's anything else she can do for me.  I politely said no, my next step is probably going to be cutting the cord.  Then she says, wait here a sec, while she goes in the back to check something.

Two minutes later I'm getting $30 off my bill and free HBO if I sign a 2-year contract.  I caved and did it.

I would call and politely explain that you're shopping around and see what they'll do to keep you. They love the contract angle.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Thu 4 May 2017 - 16:03

I really need to do this, and my area Comcast might be feeling especially generous because of all the students leaving for a few months.
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 4 May 2017 - 16:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
DWags wrote:DR, I've been with Cpomcast forever, decades?  I don't know. I've been in my house since 96, and I don't recall having anything else.  Any advice when I call?  I won't be a dick, but is there something you all have said that seems to help?

Here's my story. Two years ago I bought my own cable modem and returned Comcast's in person at their "store". After the rep checks in the modem and adjusts my bill, she asks if there's anything else she can do for me.  I politely said no, my next step is probably going to be cutting the cord.  Then she says, wait here a sec, while she goes in the back to check something.

Two minutes later I'm getting <    RIGHT HERE>$30 off my bill and free HBO if I sign a 2-year contract.  I caved and did it.

I would call and politely explain that you're shopping around and see what they'll do to keep you. They love the contract angle.

Geez Floyd....I thought that story was going to have a great twist to it ( I marked where) - then you come back with a cable price cutting story.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Thu 4 May 2017 - 16:09

LooseGoose wrote:Geez Floyd....I thought that story was going to have a great twist to it ( I marked where) - then you come back with a cable price cutting story.

you were looking for a Penthouse Forum story.

That would have been a scary story. I remember that Comcast rep and she was going about 3 bills.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Fri 12 May 2017 - 8:38

In other sports media downsizing news...

Awful Announcing‏ @awfulannouncing 1m1 minute ago
Sports Illustrated lays off five employees, including Seth Davis, altering NCAA coverage http://dlvr.it/P7DFDQ

Still has the CBS gig, but damn, getting axed after 22 years at SI.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 16 May 2017 - 10:17

Mike and Mike is no more this fall.

Greenberg is going to his own 7-10am SportsCenter. Trey Wingo will join Mike Golic as co-hosts for a new 6-10am show on ESPN Radio and eventually ESPNU (they'll stay on ESPN2 at first).

Bomani Jones and Pablo Torre will be hosting their own hour-long show on ESPN starting in January. Bomani will be leaving Highly Questionable in June.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on Tue 16 May 2017 - 11:27

gHost Spartan wrote:Lots of great points by most of the posters in this thread. Nordic, the ESPN hate is because of guys like Stephen A. Smith, who has become the de facto face of the channel. Log onto ESPN.com and he's one of the first things that you see scrolling through the news and commentary.

Yes, ESPN does a great job broadcasting games but really, that's about it. People can argue that it's because we now have access to highlights on the internet from so many sources but if a show is good then people are going to watch. Are people really arguing that a really good show with charismatic hots talking sports isn't popular anymore? It's the talent, not necessarily everything else.

Anyway, who the fuck cares. Fuck ESPN

Pretty much nailed it when you said they are good at broadcasting the games. A lot of their announcers are horrible, but if you mute them its watchable.

Sportscenter and the shows are terrible. I think the channel got away from broadcasting and sports reporting to trying to control the narrative.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 31 May 2017 - 12:12

Harbaugh must be rejoicing over the news that John Clayton was let go from ESPN.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth on Wed 31 May 2017 - 17:34

ESPN is responsible for killing ESPN for me.  I have no need to tune in really when they themselves are already sending all the updates and highlights to my phone.  Highly Questionable is the only show I make a point to watch and I usually catch most 30 for 30s, those are great.  

There have been a lot of below the line cuts their too, btw.  Way more REMI (in studio) broadcasts for live games with only a few people (cams, A1, V1 & a Tech Manager) on site.  I work far less ESPN games in the last few years, less than half.  Fox dabbled with the same thing a few years ago but then didn't continue with is for some reason.
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Wed 31 May 2017 - 18:12

StylesGShmooth wrote:ESPN is responsible for killing ESPN for me.  I have no need to tune in really when they themselves are already sending all the updates and highlights to my phone.  Highly Questionable is the only show I make a point to watch and I usually catch most 30 for 30s, those are great.  

There have been a lot of below the line cuts their too, btw.  Way more REMI (in studio) broadcasts for live games with only a few people (cams, A1, V1 & a Tech Manager) on site.  I work far less ESPN games in the last few years, less than half.  Fox dabbled with the same thing a few years ago but then didn't continue with is for some reason.

Yep, and on a different topic, where the flying fuck have you been, stranger?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth on Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 18:17

tGreenWay wrote:
StylesGShmooth wrote:ESPN is responsible for killing ESPN for me.  I have no need to tune in really when they themselves are already sending all the updates and highlights to my phone.  Highly Questionable is the only show I make a point to watch and I usually catch most 30 for 30s, those are great.  

I've still been on the board.  Just haven't had much to post about.  I don't have a whole lot to say during off-topic season.   I actually ran into one of the more prominent board posters on Memorial Day whilst consuming mass beverages at the Lugnuts game.
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Thu 1 Jun 2017 - 18:41

StylesGShmooth wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I've still been on the board.  Just haven't had much to post about.  I don't have a whole lot to say during off-topic season.   I actually ran into one of the more prominent board posters on Memorial Day whilst consuming mass beverages at the Lugnuts game.

Welp, that makes all of us.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum