Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poorest County in Each State

+13
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
Clarett's Folly
GRR Spartan
Travis of the Cosmos
CORNER BLITZ
BleacherSwill
Watch Out Pylon!
Death Roe
tGreenWay
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Poorest County in Each State Empty Poorest County in Each State

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 10:40

22. Lake County, Michigan
> County median household income: $28,872
> State median household income: $49,087
> Poverty rate: 30.5%
> Unemployment: 11.0%

A typical household in Lake County, Michigan’s poorest, earns $20,215 less than the typical household across the state. As in other poor counties, area residents have relatively low educational attainment rates. Only 9.2% of adults in the county have at least a bachelor’s degree, compared to a 26.4% college attainment rate throughout the state. Low incomes in Michigan’s poorest county accompany an especially high child poverty rate. As many as 51.4% of Lake County children are impoverished compared to 23.7% of children throughout the state.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/01/05/poorest-county-in-each-state/6/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Poorest County in Each State Empty Re: Poorest County in Each State

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 10:41

Turtleneck wrote:22. Lake County, Michigan

A typical household in Lake County, Michigan’s poorest, earns $20,215 less than the typical household across the state. As in other poor counties, area residents have relatively low educational attainment rates. Only 9.2% of adults in the county have at least a bachelor’s degree, compared to a 26.4% college attainment rate throughout the state. Low incomes in Michigan’s poorest county accompany an especially high child poverty rate. As many as 51.4% of Lake County children are impoverished compared to 23.7% of children throughout the state.

whereabouts is Lake County?

I was watching something the other evening on WKAR about Owsley Co. in Kentucky - the poorest county in the United States. Was heartbreaking.

*Edit - after reviewing the link, it looks like Owsley was surpassed by another county in Kentucky.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-09-19, 10:43; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-09-19, 10:41

Jesus, 24% of our kids are impoverished? 1 in 4?

That's depressing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-19, 10:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I was watching something the other evening on WKAR about Owsley Co. in Kentucky - the poorest county in the United States. Was heartbreaking.

It's the only county Up North that is never allowed to call itself Up North.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 10:44

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:whereabouts is Lake County?

oh, that one. Yep.. very familiar with it. We swing by there regularly to fill up our SUV.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-09-19, 10:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

oh, that one. Yep.. very familiar with it. We swing by there regularly to fill up our SUV.

Just don't let Muffin and the kids step out of the Suburban, and be sure to douse yourself with Purell when you've finished.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 10:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

*Edit - after reviewing the link, it looks like Owsley was surpassed by another county in Kentucky.

It's a couple counties to the east of Clare County. Baldwin is the county seat. It is true. Incredibly poor. I have been through Lake County quite a few times.

I always say that rural poverty is often more devastating than urban poverty because there are just so few opportunities to escape. This is a good example.

There is a neat historical community in Lake County.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idlewild,_Michigan
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 10:51

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It's a couple counties to the east of Clare County. Baldwin is the county seat. It is true. Incredibly poor. I have been through Lake County quite a few times.

I always say that rural poverty is often more devastating than urban poverty because there are just so few opportunities to escape. This is a good example.

West of Clare county.

Desegregation killed Lake County.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 10:51

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Just don't let Muffin and the kids step out of the Suburban, and be sure to douse yourself with Purell when you've finished.
Poorest County in Each State 502811600 - thanks for the tip. We keep HazMat suits in the SUV for situations like that.

Bertie Country - the county in NC that was ranked "poorest" at the link - is down toward the coast of North Carolina. It can be pretty depressing down there. Granted, the mountain counties, especially west of Haywood, north of Buncombe, can be very rural and there doesn't appear to be a lot of development (which is actually a good thing to me), but it's such a gorgeous area (though it doesn't compare to Up North) that it inherently brings money to the region with kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, camping - a lot of natural resources that act as a magnet for the area.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 10:52

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

thanks - yeah, interesting point about rural poverty vs. urban poverty.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 10:53

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

West of Clare county.

My bad. Yes, west of Clare County. I also struggle with right and left.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 11:06

from 2010 census, but..

Per Wikipedia, a list of Michigan counties by per capita income, also Michigan county subdivisions by per capita income
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-19, 11:15

Jesus, man... I like you when you keep dumb ass comments like this to yourself.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-09-19, 11:18

That was awkward.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-09-19, 11:19

Holy shit, Goose is a Member Berry.

"'Member when Lake County had separate areas for blacks and whites?"
"Oh yeah, I 'member!"

Poorest County in Each State South-park-member-berries
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-19, 11:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Owlsey County:

The median income for a household in the county was $15,805, which is the third lowest in the nation and the lowest among counties with a non-Hispanic white majority population, and the median income for a family was $18,034. Males had a median income of $25,100 versus $18,203 for females. The per capita income for the county was $10,742. About 41.7% of families and 45.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 56.3% of those under age 18 and 34.5% of those age 65 or over.
In 2009, government benefits accounted for 53.07% of personal income.[17]
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-09-19, 11:23

I have been to them all and knew before I opened Lake County would be identified as the the poorest.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 11:24

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Owlsey County:

The median income for a household in the county was $15,805, which is the third lowest in the nation and the lowest among counties with a non-Hispanic white majority population, and the median income for a family was $18,034. Males had a median income of $25,100 versus $18,203 for females. The per capita income for the county was $10,742. About 41.7% of families and 45.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 56.3% of those under age 18 and 34.5% of those age 65 or over.
In 2009, government benefits accounted for 53.07% of personal income.[17]
pretty tragic and sad, isn't it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 2016-09-19, 11:26

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

West of Clare county.

Your personal segregation from most any endeavor you attempt association with would be an improvement for that thing.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 11:29

Rocinante wrote:

Roc? It's not a dumb ass comment if it's truth. And it's not like I said desegregation was a bad thing.

But anyone disputing that it killed Lake County is willfully avoiding the truth. Baldwin, Idlewild and the economy of the whole county was built on black tourism from Chicago and Detroit. Once other options opened up with desegregation Lake County withered away and died. It's never recovered. Now dispute that and prove me wrong or stfu with your dumb ass comments.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 11:32

It's amazing how many people immediately knee jerk that it's racist to point out that once blacks had options other than "blacks only" resorts they chose to take advantage of that. In the process "blacks only" resorts all over the United States failed. Jeezus Christ you bunch of PC wimps that's not racist, it's historical fact. You denying it for some reason doesn't erase that it happened.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 11:37

Here's an article from an obviously racist author at the Free Press:

Once a paradise, Idlewild hopes to rise again

For years, Idlewild was known as "The Black Eden," a vacation resort for black professionals when they were excluded from other vacation spots because of their skin color.

IDLEWILD – You'd never know this was once paradise.

There's not much traffic on the crisscrossing dirt roads. The old shacks set back in the woods are mostly empty. There's little noise other than the sound of the wind blowing the leaves.

But this remote area was once alive, crowded, famous around the world not just for what it was, but more for what it meant.

In Jim Crow times, when black people weren't allowed at white vacation spots and couldn't rent most hotel rooms while traveling, when black musicians were barred from the country's top stages, they all came here to a rural part of western Michigan and created their own incredible, improbable world called Idlewild in the middle of the woods.

During its peak after World War II, it drew tens of thousands of people every summer. Hundreds of cottages sprang up. Nightclubs with names like the Flamingo Club and the Paradise Club brought world-class musical greats to perform for audiences who dressed in their best suits and gowns.

And then, suddenly, everybody was gone.

By the 1960s, the Civil Rights Act was passed, legal segregation ended, Idlewild's summer residents started vacationing in places they weren't able to before, and the entertainers followed them.

The cottages crumbled, the nightclubs closed, the people moved elsewhere. It became a closed chapter in black history.

"There were positive things that happened with the signing of the Civil Rights Act, but there were negative things that were not thought out. We should never have abandoned what we already had."

Then legal segregation ended and with it the reason for there to be an Idlewild. Tourists stopped coming, the bars and motels closed for lack of business, and residents left as work in town dried up. Soon, as with many towns in America, drugs and crime moved in; for a while in the 1970s it even became a hot spot for prostitutes who would famously waylay the hunters passing through the woods every fall.

It became just another poor rural town, with empty houses overrun by greenery and abandoned storefronts standing as embarrassing reminders of how things once were great. The population fell to about 400, about where it is today.

Golly gee, he says the same thing I did......desegregation killed Idlewild. Please go screaming to the Free Press and tell them it offends your dainty heart to see the truth in print.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-19, 11:38

Your premise is completely backwards. Desegregation didn't kill it. Segregation made it viable. Those are completely different things. Please don't be an idiot.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 11:40

Rocinante wrote:Your premise is completely backwards. Desegregation didn't kill it. Segregation made it viable. Those are completely different things. Please don't be an idiot.

Good god that's Blanch level stupid.

You're right that segregation made it possible.....but then you deny desegregation killed it. Wow.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-19, 11:47

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Your premise is completely backwards.  Desegregation didn't kill it.  Segregation made it viable.  Those are completely different things.  Please don't be an idiot.

Good god that's Blanch level stupid.

You're right that segregation made it possible.....but then you deny desegregation killed it.   Wow.

It's an important rhetorical point.  Oppression made many black-only businesses viable.  But to used the negative connotation of "killed" smacks of a nostalgia that is... unseemly at best. Nuance, Goose, think about it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 12:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

thanks - yeah, interesting point about rural poverty vs. urban poverty.

The isolation that comes with rural poverty makes it hard to escape. To begin with there are fewer job and educational opportunities, and employment or schooling beyond the 12th grade often requires access to quality transportation.

Beyond that, we have an economy built for an urbanizing world and not for rural America. In the post-recession years, a mere 20 counties in the U.S. have accounted for a majority of new jobs and businesses. All of them urban.

You also have the issue of shrinking tax bases in rural America. Fewer people means fewer tax dollars to support public schools, etc. So that means that while quantity is a problem - fewer economic and educational opportunities - so is quality when it comes to public services.  

All of this means the only people doing well in rural America are the people that can afford to do well. Children born into poverty are seeing it much harder to escape because they are increasingly isolated, there are fewer opportunities, and the quality of the schools is declining.

We fixate on urban poverty because of crime and other social issues. However, people do not think about the devastating impact of rural poverty. In fact, most people only see rural America as where you go to relax and never see, much less  have to confront, the problems of rural America.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-09-19, 12:50

DWags wrote:

That's depressing.

Child labor laws really are ruining this country
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 12:56

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
DWags wrote:

That's depressing.

Child labor laws really are ruining this country

This.

Kids today are entitled, ungrateful, unmotivated and undisciplined. This has gotten worse with each generation removed from child labor. Those tough jobs really taught young people valuable skills and gave them a strong character for life.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 13:02

Rocinante wrote:

LooseGoose celebrating the virtues of white supremacy.. who would've thought? Poorest County in Each State 502811600

ask him his thoughts on women.. Poorest County in Each State 1966794946
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 13:03

Rocinante wrote:Your premise is completely backwards. Desegregation didn't kill it. Segregation made it viable. Those are completely different things. Please don't be an idiot.
be careful.. you might hurt his snowflake feelings and he'll move to have you banned.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-19, 13:12

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

West of Clare county.

Yeah, you might want to qualify this statement up front because it sounds really fucking racist. Or you can blame everyone for being too PC like other racists do. Up to you how you want to be viewed.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-09-19, 13:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

LooseGoose celebrating the virtues of white supremacy.. who would've thought? Poorest County in Each State 502811600

ask him his thoughts on women..  Poorest County in Each State 1966794946

I do not think this is what is going on here.

However, I think it is dumb to try to explain social, political, or economic events with a single variable. Usually far more complex.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 13:15

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

ask him his thoughts on women..  Poorest County in Each State 1966794946

I do not think this is what is going on here.

However, I think it is dumb to try to explain social, political, or economic events with a single variable. Usually far more complex.
well, of course, but 'ol Loose has quite the history racist comments and innuendo.

that pesky desegregation.. Poorest County in Each State 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 13:56

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Yeah, you might want to qualify this statement up front because it sounds really fucking racist. Or you can blame everyone for being too PC like other racists do. Up to you how you want to be viewed.

Explain to me clearly how it's racist to state a simple truth? People today and you in this instance are simply searching for some way to be offended.

Desegregation killed Idlewild.

Tell me how to say that in a more nuanced way that won't offend you?

Desegregation mortally wounded Idlewild?

Desegregation was Idlewild's cause of death?

Let me know when you have an acceptable way to say it without obscuring the truth. I notice not one of you want to dispute the fact of the statement.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 13:59

Rocinante wrote:
It's an important rhetorical point.  Oppression made many black-only businesses viable.  But to used the negative connotation of "killed" smacks of a nostalgia that is... unseemly at best. Nuance, Goose, think about it.

It was only negative if you seek that side. Of course the positive was that blacks were free to go anywhere, the downside (negative) of that is that most of the historically black resorts died. It happened all over the US. I don't understand how you can feel that denying history is a "positive" while honestly stating what happened is a "negative". That's some fucked up logic.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-09-19, 13:59

Turtleneck wrote:However, I think it is dumb to try to explain social, political, or economic events with a single variable. Usually far more complex.

OK Mr. Multi Variable. What else caused the unfortunate demise of Idlewild?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-09-19, 14:04

LooseGoose wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

It was only negative if you seek that side. Of course the positive was that blacks were free to go anywhere, the downside (negative) of that is that most of the historically black resorts died. It happened all over the US. I don't understand how you can feel that denying history is a "positive" while honestly stating what happened is a "negative". That's some fucked up logic.

You didn't think about nuance.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 14:13

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Yeah, you might want to qualify this statement up front because it sounds really fucking racist. Or you can blame everyone for being too PC like other racists do. Up to you how you want to be viewed.

Explain to me clearly how it's racist to state a simple truth? People today and you in this instance are simply searching for some way to be offended.

Let me know when you have an acceptable way to say it without obscuring the truth. I notice not one of you want to dispute the fact of the statement.
you seem upset.. you should move to have some people banned.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-09-19, 14:14

LooseGoose wrote:

Explain to me clearly how it's racist to state a simple truth?   People today and you in this instance are simply searching for some way to be offended.  

Let me know when you have an acceptable way to say it without obscuring the truth.   I notice not one of you want to dispute the fact of the statement.

Sigh... did you even slightly comprehend what I wrote? Go back, read it again, think about it for as long as it takes and then get back to me.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-09-19, 14:15

so... for the record, and at tSwill alone, LooseGoose bemoans the evils of desegregation and blames women for being sexually assaulted.

Poorest County in Each State 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next