Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westworld - HBO

+21
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
MSU addict
Stoops21
I.B. Fine
gomersbro
NigelUno
The_Dude
pulling69
AnomanderRake
Herbie Green
CheesySpartan
Dr. Strangelove
Rocinante
Clarett's Folly
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
25 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Westworld - HBO - Page 5 Empty Re: Westworld - HBO

Post by AnomanderRake Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 11:34

I agree it seemed final but you never know with Ford it seems. Maybe they left it open ended in case Anthony Hopkins can't return for season 2.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 15:07

My take on Ford, he is not "dead."  Maybe he is "mostly dead" but there is no need to go through his clothes and look for loose change at this point.

Anthony Hopkins will be 79 this month.  Season two is not set to air until 2018 at the earliest, well you do the math.

That said, I believe the whole poorly explained Delos "big picture," "the priceless IP" is ability to transfer a human's consciousness to a host - to create immortality for yourself if you will.  A little something the MIB may also have some interest in.  

My point is simple, Ford could comeback as a younger version of himself, or upload his consciousness into a host that looks nothing like him.  Remember his final speech - Mozart and Beethoven live on, Ford may live on in the cloud, or in a host.

Which brings me back to the question I wanted answered in the finale (other than what the hell happened to Elsie and Stubbs) who was Ford building in his off the grid workshop?

Last edited by MSU addict on Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 15:57; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 15:35

MSU addict wrote:My take on Ford, he is not "dead."  Maybe he is "mostly dead" but there is no need to go through his clothes and look for loose change at this point.

Anthony Hopkins will be 79 this month.  Season two is not set to air until 2018 at the earliest, well you do the math.

That said, I believe the whole poorly explained Delos "big picture," "the priceless IP" is ability to transfer a human's conscientiousness to a host - to create immortality for yourself if you will.  A little something the MIB may also have some interest in.  

My point is simple, Ford could comeback as a younger version of himself, or upload his consciousness into a host that looks nothing like him.  Remember his final speech - Mozart and Beethoven live on, Ford may live on in the cloud, or in a host.

Which brings me back to the question I wanted answered in the finale (other than what the hell happened to Elsie and Stubbs) who was Ford building in his off the grid workshop?

Good luck to anyone trying to emulate Anthony Hopkins. But yeah, I can see just that happening. Ford already had some sort of mental connection with all of the hosts. Maybe he pulls an Arnold and fucks with the park from within the code.

Maybe he was recreating the board members so he could have complete control over them.

If anyone is interested in a movie that explores the same issues check out Ex Machina.

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 22:13

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ

GIVE ANTHONY HOPKINS ANOTHER GODDAMNED OSCAR

This show is a masterpiece.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 22:42

Just finished. My god I loved that finale. Holy shit
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 22:54

Death Roe wrote:Jesus Tittyfucking Christ

Emmy...
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 10:25

He deserves an OSCAR for this. Screw Emmy. Just have people vote him in for Best Supporting Actor.

Ed Harris for Best Actor. Let's make the Oscars great again.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 10:38

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 10:48

Wow. I have totally different take on this show.

1. Hopkins was phoning it in all fucking year. Granted he wasn't given great material - just sit around and look like you know all the answers and his phoning it in is better than 80 percent of most actors best.

2. Maeve plot still makes no goddamn sense. Sure Ford is leaving her breadcrumbs but the whole plot turns on Twiddledum and Twiddledee acting like morons. It's a cheat.

3. There are no security cameras in the labs?

4. Williams/MiB. We all sawing that coming about seven episodes ago.

5. What are the "rules" of the park? How much damage are hosts allowed to normally inflict on guests? I'd be pissed if a robot knocked me out. Where's the reset button? I'd be upset if I spent my vacation like Logan being dragged behind a horse. How are you notified/taken out of park when your vacation is up?

6. What kind of multi-billion dollar company just leaves assets worth millions of dollars sitting in a leaky basement. Speaking of which why wouldn't they get some sump pumps?

7. So we spent ten hours on a prologue? Seriously the robot v human war is the real story and we took ten hours to get there?

It's a beautifully filmed show. Top notch visuals, great cast and lots of gratuitous nudity and violence but it left me disappointed. I loved Nolan's Person of Interest and had high hopes for Westworld but this show just didn't do it for me.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 11:07

InTenSity wrote:
Death Roe wrote:Jesus Tittyfucking Christ

Emmy...

Maybe he'll get an Oscar for the new Transformers movie.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 11:09

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Wow. I have totally different take on this show.

1. Hopkins was phoning it in all fucking year. Granted he wasn't given great material - just sit around and look like you know all the answers and his phoning it in is better than 80 percent of most actors best.

2. Maeve plot still makes no goddamn sense. Sure Ford is leaving her breadcrumbs but the whole plot turns on Twiddledum and Twiddledee acting like morons. It's a cheat.

3. There are no security cameras in the labs?

4. Williams/MiB. We all sawing that coming about seven episodes ago.

5. What are the "rules" of the park? How much damage are hosts allowed to normally inflict on guests? I'd be pissed if a robot knocked me out. Where's the reset button? I'd be upset if I spent my vacation like Logan being dragged behind a horse. How are you notified/taken out of park when your vacation is up?

6. What kind of multi-billion dollar company just leaves assets worth millions of dollars sitting in a leaky basement. Speaking of which why wouldn't they get some sump pumps?

7. So we spent ten hours on a prologue? Seriously the robot v human war is the real story and we took ten hours to get there?

It's a beautifully filmed show. Top notch visuals, great cast and lots of gratuitous nudity and violence but it left me disappointed. I loved Nolan's Person of Interest and had high hopes for Westworld but this show just didn't do it for me.

I agree with some of this. Get rid of the dopey employee being manipulated to further the plot trope. It was poorly written and pissed me off whenever those guys were on screen. Also, in what world it is cool to buttslam what is effectively a sex toy in plain sight of other employees?

Don't agree with Hopkins phoning it in. You said this many times, give me an example of him doing so.

There were security cameras set up. They've been shown before, mostly in the last episode. Why no one was watching, I do not know.

Point five was explained throughout the series. I don't feel like typing much more but the rules were pretty well laid out.

If all you got from this series is that it is about a robot v human war then I guess this show isn't for you, which is cool. I watched a couple of episodes of Person of Interest and didn't really like it. Different strokes and all.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 11:17

I found myself bored with the finale. I liked the last few minutes but in the end it left me questioning if the whole thing was really worth watching.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 11:24

Seriously how much "acting" did Anthony Hopkins really do in Westworld? He really wasn't called upon to show great emotion. He did give some nice speeches and well he should have he's a great actor. But Ford isn't exactly Lechter is he?

Most of what he did (and he did it well better than most) was the following:

1. Well Bernard you don't really understand and I'm not going to tell you.
2. Well corporate Delos people you don't understand and I'm not going to tell you.
3. The robot boy version of Ford and his family. I'm not entirely sure what that was supposed to be but the a couple of the scenes with the boy were cool.

What greater message was I supposed to get from this show? The depths of our humanity and inhumanity and the path to greater awareness and consciousness? When you boil right down to it we took ten hours to get to the jumping off point from the source material.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 13:15

http://www.inquisitr.com/3602186/westworld-star-anthony-hopkins-reveals-why-hell-never-watch-the-show/

“I have a delete button in my brain and I don’t remember the past very well,” said Hopkins. “I can’t remember — we started two years ago. Just watching it now I’d forgotten I was in some of those scenes.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-blog/10240013/Anthony-Hopkins-Ive-already-forgotten-Thor-The-Dark-World.html

He said he took the role because Kenneth Branagh, who directed the first Thor, made a personal plea. "I knew Ken and he said 'Would you like to play Odin?' I said, 'Yeah, okay.' At my age if they offer me the phone book to read, I'll read it, as long as they pay me."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/movies/kenneth-branaghs-thor-film-of-marvel-comic-hero.html?pagewanted=2&sq=anthony%20hopkins&st=cse&scp=7

Mr. Hopkins said that, as an actor, “I phone it in a lot as I’m getting older,” but seeing the aura of his old mentor in Mr. Branagh stirred him to invest himself more fully in “Thor.”
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 15:50

Yeah, re watched the finale again. I am in fucking love with this show. It has it's flaws as the doctor likes to point out, but every show does.

Thought this was pretty rich... read it in an episode recap. This is how I will feel until the next season in fucking 2018.

"This is going to take awhile to sink in and process. I feel like Westworld showrunners Jonathan Nolan (who directed the episode) and Lisa Joy just downloaded 90-minutes of explanations, action, philosophy, character developments, Easter Eggs, twists and references into my brain, The Matrix style, and I’m now overloaded and glitching like a malfunctioning recap robot."
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 15:52

"That revelation that Maeve’s movements were being scripted helps sell some of her scenes in the previous episodes that viewers really struggled with. Mainly: How could get away with all those rebellious hijinks backstage without Ford being aware of any of it? It doesn’t explain why Felix and Sylvester were so dim-witted and complacent, but presumably Ford arranged it so that Maeve was paired with body techs she could manipulate. "

The Maeve storyline isn't so awful to me anymore. Was all part of the plan.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 8 Dec 2016 - 16:44

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"That revelation that Maeve’s movements were being scripted helps sell some of her scenes in the previous episodes that viewers really struggled with. Mainly: How could get away with all those rebellious hijinks backstage without Ford being aware of any of it? It doesn’t explain why Felix and Sylvester were so dim-witted and complacent, but presumably Ford arranged it so that Maeve was paired with body techs she could manipulate. "

The Maeve storyline isn't so awful to me anymore. Was all part of the plan.

Yeah, when I say I didn't like the Maeve story line that isn't really accurate. Her storyline is essential to the tenets of the show. What I didn't like was the sloppy storytelling of getting her to the point she is at now. Those two jackass low level employees really brought the show down when they were on screen.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 2:10

Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify. Fuuuuck yes.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 Jan 2017 - 11:52

I just watched this show this week. I liked it very much. I just wanted you to know that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Fri 27 Jan 2017 - 11:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I just watched this show this week. I liked it very much. I just wanted you to know that.

You have great taste, Travis. This may end up beating out game of thrones.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 27 Jan 2017 - 11:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I just watched this show this week. I liked it very much. I just wanted you to know that.

We'll see about that otpt. It's tricky following up a really good first season with a second, third and fourth without losing it. So far so good though. Also I like the soundtrack on Spotify too otpt. It was good work background music the other day.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri 27 Jan 2017 - 12:20

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

We'll see about that otpt. It's tricky following up a really good first season with a second, third and fourth without losing it. So far so good though. Also I like the soundtrack on Spotify too otpt. It was good work background music the other day.
GOT is going to be hard to beat. But coming in 2nd wouldn't be a bad thing.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 6 Sep 2017 - 12:31

Random bump but listening to the westworld soundtrack got me thinking.. with thrones taking a 3-9 msu football plunge this last season, is westworld now the best show out there?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 1:16

If anyone hasn't watched this shit over again, I may suggest re watching it. It's beautiful fucking work.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 1:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If anyone hasn't watched this shit over again, I may suggest re watching it. It's beautiful fucking work.

It was good but it's not that good.

Shows I'd re-watch before Westworld off the top of my head (in no particular order):

Sopranos (but not those bullshit ones were Tony was some regular schlub)
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Battlestar Galactica (the good one - not the one with Pa Cartwright)
Man in the High Castle
The Leftovers

Give me 10 minutes and I could come up with a bunch more
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 1:27

I loved the first episode and the last like 4. I thought the middle of the season dragged. The way it ended was awesome though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 1:27

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If anyone hasn't watched this shit over again, I may suggest re watching it. It's beautiful fucking work.

Shows I'd re-watch before Westworld off the top of my head (in no particular order):

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Man in the High Castle
The Leftovers

I've seen some of those, won't watch the Star Wars sounding ones - but I disagree with the leftovers mention. Thought it was too cheesy at times and had some subpar acting.

Breaking bad will be re-watched next.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 9:06

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Man in the High Castle
The Leftovers

I've seen some of those, won't watch the Star Wars sounding ones - but I disagree with the leftovers mention. Thought it was too cheesy at times and had some subpar acting.

So you're good with Sex Robots Revolt but you won't watch Star Wars sounding shows?

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 26 Oct 2017 - 16:50

Ran across this today. Delores knows how to ride a.... horse.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 26 Oct 2017 - 17:22

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

So you're good with Sex Robots Revolt but you won't watch Star Wars sounding shows?

This guy just compared Star Trek to westworld ? Heh
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 20:45

Rewatching since the show is going to come back in April. Anyway I dunno it’s a good show
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 22:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Rewatching since the show is going to come back in April. Anyway I dunno it’s a good show

I hope they fix that Mauve story line. Shit was getting ridiculous. Everything else about the show has been top notch.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 22:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Rewatching since the show is going to come back in April. Anyway I dunno it’s a good show

I hope they fix that Mauve story line. Shit was getting ridiculous. Everything else about the show has been top notch.

Yeah, that shit seemed too easy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:01

I don’t even really remember. Sort of know what you mean. But it’s been awhile so that’s why I’m on episode 6 right now
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:31

Wait trav this April??
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:32

Yeah otpt I think so
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:33

April 22 otpt
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:53

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

She gets the two doofus robot janitor dudes to turn her into a Terminator. In any real world situation about 20 people would have seen the changes made instantly at a hi tech company like that. Whatever though, the rest of the show kicks ass.

Edit: This was meant for Travis.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 11 Feb 2018 - 23:58

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

She gets the two doofus robot janitor dudes to turn her into a Terminator. In any real world situation about 20 people would have seen the changes made instantly at a hi tech company like that. Whatever though, the rest of the show kicks ass.

Well I’m rewatching right now pylon so spoiler alert. 

Haha nah I’m kidding I sorta generally remember. But my understanding was that it was all at Fords control who prolly could have covered up for the fact that it wasn’t really an accident. But that’s just loose memory.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Well I’m rewatching right now pylon so spoiler alert. 

Haha nah I’m kidding I sorta generally remember. But my understanding was that it was all at Fords control who prolly could have covered up for the fact that it wasn’t really an accident. But that’s just loose memory.

Maybe, I don't remember thinking that was the case though. I gotta rewatch it myself. I've forgotten a lot of what happened since it's been what a year and a half since the 1st season?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next