Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I honestly thought The Boss only had like 12 songs

+12
The Pantry
The_Dude
Jethro Bodeen
Death Roe
NigelUno
Dr. Strangelove
Watch Out Pylon!
Floyd Robertson
TheReal_LWS
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
DWags
16 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 Empty Re: I honestly thought The Boss only had like 12 songs

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-12-15, 08:21

if I could be transported back to any concert by any artist in any era...

Setlist:

Badlands
Streets of Fire
Spirit in the Night
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Factory
The Promised Land
Prove It All Night
Racing in the Street
Thunder Road
Jungleland
The Ties That Bind
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
The Fever
Fire
Candy's Room
Because the Night
Point Blank
Mona / Preacher's Daughter / She's The One / I Get Mad
Backstreets
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Encore:
Born to Run
Detroit Medley
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Raise Your Hand (Eddie Floyd cover)
Quarter to Three

Encore 2:
Twist and Shout
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 Empty Re: I honestly thought The Boss only had like 12 songs

Post by xsanguine 2016-12-15, 21:00

That's a fucking set list!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 07:55

xsanguine wrote:That's a fucking set list!
indeed.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 07:57

postponed reading Bruce's autobiography over break.. not a ton of new insight but it was a great read. Loved hearing all of the stories about local late-60's, early-mid-70's rock in New Jersey, and how bands used to do it.

refreshingly, it's a lot like the way good, real bands still do it. Thankfully we still have concrete reality versus the corporate garbage from the radio and the American Idol trash.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 08:44

Lost in the Flood - the Live in NYC version. He hadn't played it live in something like 20-25 years.. among the old fans in the crowd you can sort of hear a collective gasp and muffled cheer as the lyrics begin.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 10:06

Marc Maron with a solid Springsteen interview..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-03, 10:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Lost in the Flood - the Live in NYC version. He hadn't played it live in something like 20-25 years.. among the old fans in the crowd you can sort of hear a collective gasp and muffled cheer as the lyrics begin.

Was the gasp because they couldn't believe he was going to subject them to that shit again?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 10:54

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Lost in the Flood - the Live in NYC version. He hadn't played it live in something like 20-25 years.. among the old fans in the crowd you can sort of hear a collective gasp and muffled cheer as the lyrics begin.

Was the gasp because they couldn't believe he was going to subject them to that shit again?
yeah. The Red Cross was called in to provide support.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-03, 11:15

LooseGoose wrote:

Fucker helped put Trump in the WH with that shit November 7 in philly. Milkenials saw him and Bon Jovi and bill and hills and they said em yeah, fuck that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 11:59

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Fucker helped put Trump in the WH with that shit November 7 in philly. Milkenials saw him and Bon Jovi and bill and hills and they said em yeah, fuck that.
that was a pretty sweet show.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-03, 12:32

Wait till you see the next four years. That show will blow you away. Thanks Boss
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 12:34

DWags wrote:Wait till you see the next four years. That show will blow you away. Thanks Boss

I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-03, 12:38

Is that Bon Jovi?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 12:43

DWags wrote:Is that Bon Jovi?
close - it's the trombone player from Earth, Wind and Fire.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-03, 12:44

I don't see how you can tell them apart.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 13:22

DWags wrote:I don't see how you can tell them apart.
I took my little brother to see Earth, Wind and Fire.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-03, 14:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:I don't see how you can tell them apart.
I took my little brother to see Earth, Wind and Fire.

When did the boss and Bon Jovi start playing for the elements?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 14:27

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I took my little brother to see Earth, Wind and Fire.

When did the boss and Bon Jovi start playing for the elements?
after they got fired from their job with Rare Earth..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-04, 08:01

I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-04, 19:13

That's a really nice guitar.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 07:29

xsanguine wrote:That's a really nice guitar.
if he keeps working, and with a few breaks.. that guy could really hit it big.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-05, 07:43

Reason #3 from the Philly post:

The most common argument against Bruce Springsteen hatred goes like this. Have you seen him live? Oh, you haven’t. I see. Well, you really have to see him live. I used to hate him, too. But then I saw him live. I had no fewer than three people make this case to me just yesterday, including Philly Post contributor Larry Mendte, who concluded this failed argument by saying, “You know, you and I just may not agree about anything.”

The whole thing has some weird, cult-like, Amway seminar thread running through it. I say, “I hate Bruce Springsteen,” and the best you can do is suggest that I go spend three hours with the man? (Yes, I’ve heard all about those legendary three-hour concerts. Save your breath.) What is this, aversion therapy?

People used to say the same thing about the Grateful Dead, and, against my better judgment, I went to see them live. In fact, I saw them at their last Spectrum performance before Jerry Garcia died. There’s a reason why Grateful Dead fans needed all those drugs.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 07:45

DWags wrote:Reason #3 from the Philly post:

The most common argument against Bruce Springsteen hatred goes like this. Have you seen him live? Oh, you haven’t. I see. Well, you really have to see him live. I used to hate him, too. But then I saw him live. I had no fewer than three people make this case to me just yesterday, including Philly Post contributor Larry Mendte, who concluded this failed argument by saying, “You know, you and I just may not agree about anything.”

The whole thing has some weird, cult-like, Amway seminar thread running through it. I say, “I hate Bruce Springsteen,” and the best you can do is suggest that I go spend three hours with the man? (Yes, I’ve heard all about those legendary three-hour concerts. Save your breath.) What is this, aversion therapy?

People used to say the same thing about the Grateful Dead, and, against my better judgment, I went to see them live. In fact, I saw them at their last Spectrum performance before Jerry Garcia died. There’s a reason why Grateful Dead fans needed all those drugs.

have you seen him live??

it was the worst thing I've ever experienced.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-05, 07:52

Though there are certainly some good songs about Philadelphia out there, it is unfortunate that two of the most famous are Elton John’s “Philadelphia Freedom” (only someone not from here would ever write a song about tennis and include “Philadelphia” in the title) and “The Streets of Philadelphia,” the track that Bruce Springsteen contributed to Philadelphia, Jonathan Demme’s 1993 film.

Yes, “Streets” won the Oscar. (Neil Young, also nominated for a Philadelphia song, was robbed). But, then, “A Whole New World” won it the year before, and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” the year after. Not exactly great company to keep.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 07:54

DWags wrote:Though there are certainly some good songs about Philadelphia out there, it is unfortunate that two of the most famous are Elton John’s “Philadelphia Freedom” (only someone not from here would ever write a song about tennis and include “Philadelphia” in the title) and “The Streets of Philadelphia,” the track that Bruce Springsteen contributed to Philadelphia, Jonathan Demme’s 1993 film.

Yes, “Streets” won the Oscar. (Neil Young, also nominated for a Philadelphia song, was robbed). But, then, “A Whole New World” won it the year before, and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” the year after. Not exactly great company to keep.

have you seen him live?

worst night of my life.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-05, 07:57

In 1991, Dr. Venkat Ramani reported in the New England Journal of Medicine that one of his patients went into seizures every time she heard Entertainment Tonight host Mary Hart’s voice. Apparently, it’s called audiogenic epilepsy and is an actual thing, which pretty much makes it number one on The List of Things That Seem Like They Are Urban Legends But Are Not. Based on my own reactions to the voice of Bruce Springsteen, I may be a candidate for this diagnosis, although my allergic reaction is also triggered by the mere sight of his bandanna, denim and open-shirt-clad self.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 07:59

DWags wrote:In 1991, Dr. Venkat Ramani reported in the New England Journal of Medicine that one of his patients went into seizures every time she heard Entertainment Tonight host Mary Hart’s voice. Apparently, it’s called audiogenic epilepsy and is an actual thing, which pretty much makes it number one on The List of Things That Seem Like They Are Urban Legends But Are Not. Based on my own reactions to the voice of Bruce Springsteen, I may be a candidate for this diagnosis, although my allergic reaction is also triggered by the mere sight of his bandanna, denim and open-shirt-clad self.
yeah but have you seen him live?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-05, 08:04

I’m pretty sure that if Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham hadn’t died, he would have kicked Max Weinberg’s ass a long, long time ago.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 08:05

DWags wrote:I’m pretty sure that if Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham hadn’t died, he would have kicked Max Weinberg’s ass a long, long time ago.
he must have seen them live.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 08:09

here is a 12 minute version of "Backstreets" - live at Winterland...

if you choose to listen to this, prepare yourself for misery like no other.

you've been warned.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-05, 08:49

"fear is a powerful thing"...

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-06, 08:05

in honor of Springsteen's first record - released 44 years ago yesterday.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-11, 13:39

It has to be a little more than 12. 15?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-11, 13:40

NigelUno wrote:It has to be a little more than 12. 15?
19 is the correct answer.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-12, 08:50

in a double-record filled a few bar-rockin' songs, a few lighter tunes with more pop-ish feels, there are some of Springsteen's greatest piano-driven, softer ballads are on The River..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-15, 01:09

DWags wrote:Reason #3 from the Philly post:

What the hell is this all about Dwags? This post is on the fighting side of me. I saw the Dead 30 times. Never saw Springsteen but I regret that
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-16, 20:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:It has to be a little more than 12. 15?
19 is the correct answer.

I was close.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-16, 21:44

There is a way to objectively judge an artist and I'm not just talking about awards or record sales or billboard ranks.

A lot of people don't or can't appreciate what it takes to get on stage in front of thousands (or hell, even just a few hundred) and bare your soul. And you have to really fucking bare it in order to put on that performance that will draw people into your world. You have to forget so that they can forget... can't be insecure and self-conscious there. It takes a long to get over the notion that there are people there watching your every grimace and gesture and just put it out there. I imagine acting is very similar

But it's why most local shows suck... only the very few can really get in tune with that impenetrable subconscious entity that exists.

So imagine having to do that nearly every night for over 40 years.

And that's not even including the amount of emotional energy it takes to put together a good album.

There's a lot of facets to songwriting and even more to performing and Bruce excels at all of them.

Someone I really enjoy watching perform is Adele and it has nothing to do with her incredible singing abilities, but she leaves it all on the stage and it takes a huge toll on her throughout a show. She loses herself on stage and let's that other entity take over for her and that's an emotional thing to have to go through every night. It leaves you exhausted and you can tell when she's finished a show she's damn near ready to collapse. The good frontmen, the actual artists (as opposed to pretenders) will often break down during or after a performance. Most pop artists are just acting and that comes through. You can tell.

Good musicians that know what they're doing are the shit. And I'm really fucking high right now...

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-16, 21:45

I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 502811600

There's a rant for ya.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-17, 07:22

xsanguine wrote:I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 502811600

There's a rant for ya.
I honestly thought The Boss only had like  12 songs  - Page 4 502811600

but an accurate one.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next