2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by DWags on Sun 19 Mar 2017 - 16:00

MattyFresh wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:
Sad that it hasn't worked out, but it's true. Loved him as a player on Mason's teams.

Yeah I was in the camp that wanted it to work out, but he never could cut it... Hopefully we get a good hire and not promote from within aka Miller.

Is that who the favorite would be?

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21857
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by MattyFresh on Sun 19 Mar 2017 - 16:03

DWags wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Yeah I was in the camp that wanted it to work out, but he never could cut it... Hopefully we get a good hire and not promote from within aka Miller.

Is that who the favorite would be?

I hope not, it would suck so I am guessing it happens. I'd target Danton Cole.
avatar
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Posts : 3099
Join date : 2015-06-10
Age : 30
Location : Okemos, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by MattyFresh on Sun 19 Mar 2017 - 16:17

article references Cole here

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/sports/hockey/michigan-michigan-state-red-berenson-tom-anastos.html?_r=0
avatar
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Posts : 3099
Join date : 2015-06-10
Age : 30
Location : Okemos, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Heathens '87 on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 6:42

The NCAA field was announced yesterday. From the Big Ten....Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State. From Michigan....Western Michigan and Michigan Tech. Wisconsin right on that edge at #18 in the Pairwise and out because of a 2:1 OT Big Ten championship game loss to Penn State. Still a great turnaround season for the Badgers. Michigan State finishes at #47 in the Pairwise, 7-24-4, the 56th win-loss percentage and only won more games than three teams (Brown, Niagara, Massachusetts). For historical purposes, you need to go back to 1977-78 to find another season with 7 wins and back to 1959-60 to find fewer. This was a historically bad year for a once-proud program. We know the answer.

Tom Anastos deserves to be fired. Loyal Spartan, sincerely hope he'd land on his feet in an administrative capacity somewhere and would wish him nothing but the best. But this isn't working. We need a full coaching search. It's not challenging to go 15-deep with legitimate candidates that at least offer the hope of turning the program around. Personally, I say break the bank. Hire Gwozdecky, give him a budget for assistants and develop his replacement. Cole and Brind'amour, if we want to dream a bit. Realistically I'd be happy with a final trio of choices like Schooley (Robert Morris), Bergeron (Bowling Green) and Pearson (Michigan Tech). Add in Danton Cole and Cary Eades (Fargo, USHL) and we can even move beyond successful current D-I coaches. Keep in mind that Red at Michigan said he'll decide whether to return next season after the Frozen Four. They'll likely be targeting Pearson, if not Bennett at Union.

At this point Hollis needs to play his cards publicly. Tell us why he believes Anastos is on the right path with this program or fire him. Put on the big pants Mark, make your call and handle the criticism one way or another. The right thing to do seems obvious if we claim to have any standards for Michigan State hockey. 1959-60 is when you'd find fewer wins, Mr. Hollis. Go State!

_________________
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." --- Gandhi
avatar
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 73
Join date : 2014-04-23
Location : Northern Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 6:53

Heathens '87 wrote:
At this point Hollis needs to play his cards publicly. Tell us why he believes Anastos is on the right path with this program or fire him. Put on the big pants Mark, make your call and handle the criticism one way or another. The right thing to do seems obvious if we claim to have any standards for Michigan State hockey. 1959-60 is when you'd find fewer wins, Mr. Hollis. Go State!

I can only hope that rumor GRR posted about Anastos stepping down today or tomorrow is true, because I don't have much faith in Hollis doing anything at all with the hockey program. I'm starting to think he believed the Munn arena renovation would solve all the problems.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12777
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by NigelUno on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 7:38

MattyFresh wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:
Sad that it hasn't worked out, but it's true. Loved him as a player on Mason's teams.

Yeah I was in the camp that wanted it to work out, but he never could cut it... Hopefully we get a good hire and not promote from within aka Miller.

Not sure how they could go with Kelly. He's been part of the problem (so to speak). That might be a tough sell. Seems like he might have been a better Head Coaching Candidate when Anastos was hired.
avatar
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18829
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Heathens '87 on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 9:58

Kelly Miller had a better resume than Anastos for the head coaching position in 2011. Now he's in his sixth year with a program that has bottomed out. If you fire Anastos it has to be a house-cleaning as there is no reason to promote from within a failing program. Bring in an experienced head coach of a successful D-I program and let them build their staff. Loyal Spartans are all over that program - Miller, Muzzatti, Fast, York, Newton. The issue is leadership......

_________________
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." --- Gandhi
avatar
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 73
Join date : 2014-04-23
Location : Northern Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by NigelUno on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 11:35

Heathens '87 wrote:Kelly Miller had a better resume than Anastos for the head coaching position in 2011. Now he's in his sixth year with a program that has bottomed out. If you fire Anastos it has to be a house-cleaning as there is no reason to promote from within a failing program. Bring in an experienced head coach of a successful D-I program and let them build their staff. Loyal Spartans are all over that program - Miller, Muzzatti, Fast, York, Newton. The issue is leadership.......

Cole seems like a natural pick. But, getting him now essentially admits they made a mistake.
avatar
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18829
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by MSU addict on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 11:41

NigelUno wrote:
Heathens '87 wrote:Kelly Miller had a better resume than Anastos for the head coaching position in 2011. Now he's in his sixth year with a program that has bottomed out. If you fire Anastos it has to be a house-cleaning as there is no reason to promote from within a failing program. Bring in an experienced head coach of a successful D-I program and let them build their staff. Loyal Spartans are all over that program - Miller, Muzzatti, Fast, York, Newton. The issue is leadership.......

Cole seems like a natural pick. But, getting him now essentially admits they made a mistake.
Failing to correct an obvious mistake is what makes a person an idiot. Admitting a mistake does not.
avatar
MSU addict
Spartiate

Posts : 399
Join date : 2014-04-29

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Heathens '87 on Mon 20 Mar 2017 - 12:27

NigelUno wrote:
Heathens '87 wrote:Kelly Miller had a better resume than Anastos for the head coaching position in 2011.  Now he's in his sixth year with a program that has bottomed out.  If you fire Anastos it has to be a house-cleaning as there is no reason to promote from within a failing program.    Bring in an experienced head coach of a successful D-I program and let them build their staff.  Loyal Spartans are all over that program - Miller, Muzzatti, Fast, York, Newton.  The issue is leadership.......

Cole seems like a natural pick.  But, getting him now essentially admits they made a mistake.

Hollis made a mistake and needs to own it.  Cole seems a "natural pick" largely for one reason - he's a Spartan.  There are candidates with better resumes running successful D-I programs.  Cole should be in the mix.  Take away that he played for State and it'll seem a lot less natural.....

_________________
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." --- Gandhi
avatar
Heathens '87
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 73
Join date : 2014-04-23
Location : Northern Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Wally Fairway on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 15:47

Ding, Dong the witch is dead
Which old which - the sucky hockey coach witch

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/2017/03/21/msu-hockey-coach-tom-anastos-step-down-immediately/99459822/

_________________
Games are won in 3 places:
- the film room
- the training room
- the Swill
avatar
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1050
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 16:00

An disastrous hire that left the program in shambles and laid waste to a once-storied program, Anastos was 78-122-24 in six season as Michigan State’s head coach. Michigan State had the fewest wins of any NCAA Division I school in the state of Michigan during Anastos’ six-year reign.

Sipple has a real way with words.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12777
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by MattyFresh on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 16:12

sooooooo lets get the best coach ffs
avatar
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Posts : 3099
Join date : 2015-06-10
Age : 30
Location : Okemos, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by MattyFresh on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 16:13

I'll head up tSearchParty all I charge is a 6 of Newcastle and a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin
avatar
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Posts : 3099
Join date : 2015-06-10
Age : 30
Location : Okemos, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by LooseGoose on Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 20:37

GreenandWhite.com‏Verified account @LSJGreenWhite 46m46 minutes ago
More
Former MSU assistant George Gwozdecky and former player Danton Cole likely top the list of replacements. http://on.lsj.com/2nz4DVx

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32873
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by LooseGoose on Fri 5 May 2017 - 10:35

Torey Krug‏Verified account @ToreyKrug
It only took 7 years, but I finally graduated from @michiganstateu. #studentathlete @MSU_Hockey thank you to those that made it possible

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32873
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 18 May 2017 - 12:45

Time for a new thread.

MSU_Hockey‏ @MSU_Hockey
More
Here are the 2017-18 team captains!


_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32873
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 13 Jul 2017 - 18:25

Lansing StateJournal‏Verified account @LSJNews  18m18 minutes ago
More
Michigan State notes: Hockey's Mason Appleton signs with Winnipeg Jets

https://t.co/zHs6Rb5ASC

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32873
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on Thu 13 Jul 2017 - 18:30

Fire Cole.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12777
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016/17 Spartan hockey thread

Post by GRR Spartan on Thu 13 Jul 2017 - 19:24

There's a Captain position open
avatar
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5791
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum