Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by kingstonlake on 2014-05-27, 08:23

Mid 80's all weekend and still ice blocking the bay.  Don't remember having ice this late in the year and I've been going up there since the mid 70's.  I know, cool story....

.

avatar
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5143
Join date : 2014-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by duffy munn on 2014-05-27, 08:25

Pure Michigan.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 4131
Join date : 2014-04-19
Location : east lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by Ass Dan on 2014-05-27, 08:33

damn those are some cool pictures
avatar
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3229
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 25
Location : Canton, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by NigelUno on 2014-05-27, 08:53

I think I see a kid on a jet ski getting chased by a swan in one of those pictures.
avatar
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18439
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by JEK on 2014-05-27, 10:33

I was driving back from Houghton last week and passed through Munising on the way. I haven't seen Pictured Rocks yet and was debating if I should stop through and check it out, but I had a long drive ahead of me so I stayed on the road.

My question is, does it just consist of that one cliff or is there more to it than that? Is there anything else to do in the area?


Last edited by JEK on 2014-05-27, 10:45; edited 1 time in total
avatar
JEK
Spartiate

Posts : 562
Join date : 2014-04-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by Mentalstate on 2014-05-27, 10:39

First time since they've measured ice that Superior still has ice coverage this time of the year, they don't even survey it at this time because it is always gone.
avatar
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 552
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2014-05-27, 10:41

JEK wrote:I was driving back from Houghton last week and passed through Munising on the way. I haven't seen Pictured Rocks yet and was debating if I should stop through and check it out, but I had a long drive ahead of me so I stayed on the road.

My question is, does it just consist of that one cliff or is there more to it than that? Is there anything else to do in the area?

If you like hiking you'd love the area. The rock cliffs themselves are the big attraction, but there are miles of hiking trails along the shoreline. A bunch of waterfalls are on these trails.

Also you can rent a pontoon in Munising and tool around for the day or take a chartered boat ride. I think there is an optional chartered boat that checks out the shipwrecks in the area with a glass bottom hull. Just a beautiful area overall, unlike anywhere else I've ever seen.
avatar
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11614
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by JEK on 2014-05-27, 10:45

Here's a shot of Keweenaw Bay from last week. Looks frigid out, but it was only about 60.

avatar
JEK
Spartiate

Posts : 562
Join date : 2014-04-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by JEK on 2014-05-27, 10:48

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

If you like hiking you'd love the area. The rock cliffs themselves are the big attraction, but there are miles of hiking trails along the shoreline. A bunch of waterfalls are on these trails.

Also you can rent a pontoon in Munising and tool around for the day or take a chartered boat ride. I think there is an optional chartered boat that checks out the shipwrecks in the area with a glass bottom hull. Just a beautiful area overall, unlike anywhere else I've ever seen.

Thanks. Just want to know that it's worth my while cuz it's a haul up there.
avatar
JEK
Spartiate

Posts : 562
Join date : 2014-04-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by LooseGoose on 2014-05-27, 11:06

kingstonlake wrote:Mid 80's all weekend and still ice blocking the bay.  Don't remember having ice this late in the year and I've been going up there since the mid 70's.  I know, cool story....

Cool story and a great set of pictures to illustrate the consequences of global warming.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32611
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Pictured Rocks/Munising Bay May 25th 2014

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-08-03, 11:41

Well this thread raised awareness of Pictured Rocks enough to warrant a new coin.

Van Riper State Park Retweeted
LakeSuperiorMagazine‏ @lakesuperiormag Aug 2
More
Designs for 3 new U.S. quarters with familiar locations.


_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 32611
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 97
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum