Al Gore and Trump talk about climate change

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Al Gore and Trump talk about climate change

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2016-12-06, 08:23

So is climate change a hoax or is this another Trump talking point that we weren't supposed to take literally. I need the Trump whisperers to interpret this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38211695
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: Al Gore and Trump talk about climate change

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 10:45

Of course it isn't a hoax, we have college degrees and we believe in science.

Ivanka wants it to be one of her core issues and even in the interview with the NYT Trump let on that he knows it's a real issue but then again he'll pander to anyone in front of him.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-06, 12:46

The hoax is being perpetrated by those that label people "deniers". No one denies that the climate is changing, it always has and always will.

I'm waiting for the "science" that shows me how carbon fuels and the industrial revolution caused the MWP.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2016-12-06, 12:50

Trump wanted permission to build a sea wall at his Irish golf course/resort to protect against erosion from the rising sea levels.

Global climate change matters if it affects Trump properties.
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-06, 12:58

GRR Spartan wrote:Trump wanted permission to build a sea wall at his Irish golf course/resort to protect against erosion from the rising sea levels.

Amazing how all those celebs you worship fly jets all over the world "fighting" climate change....then return to their waterfront homes. You'd think they really weren't worried about rising seas.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude on 2016-12-06, 13:32

GRR Spartan wrote:Trump wanted permission to build a sea wall at his Irish golf course/resort to protect against erosion from the rising sea levels.

Must be miserable to be such a petty doom and gloomer who can only offer up vicious personal attacks.
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2016-12-06, 15:37

The_Dude wrote:

Must be miserable to be such a petty doom and gloomer who can only offer up vicious personal attacks.

Are you trying to set the single day irony record?
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 15:40

LooseGoose wrote:The hoax is being perpetrated by those that label people "deniers". No one denies that the climate is changing, it always has and always will.

I'm waiting for the "science" that shows me how carbon fuels and the industrial revolution caused the MWP.

Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the "greenhouse effect"1 — warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space. Certain gases in the atmosphere block heat from escaping.

Carbon dioxide (CO2). A minor but very important component of the atmosphere, carbon dioxide is released through natural processes such as respiration and volcano eruptions and through human activities such as deforestation, land use changes, and burning fossil fuels. Humans have increased atmospheric CO2 concentration by more than a third since the Industrial Revolution began. This is the most important long-lived "forcing" of climate change.

Took like 2 seconds, pulled it right off the NASA website.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2016-12-06, 15:43

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:The hoax is being perpetrated by those that label people "deniers". No one denies that the climate is changing, it always has and always will.

Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the "greenhouse effect"1 — warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space. Certain gases in the atmosphere block heat from escaping.

Carbon dioxide (CO2). A minor but very important component of the atmosphere, carbon dioxide is released through natural processes such as respiration and volcano eruptions and through human activities such as deforestation, land use changes, and burning fossil fuels. Humans have increased atmospheric CO2 concentration by more than a third since the Industrial Revolution began. This is the most important long-lived "forcing" of climate change.

Ya, but NASA isn't financed by the oil companies, so those studies are false.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 15:52

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that's the problem no one wants to believe credible institutions anymore. There's many credible institutions and fine research being done in our Universities (IVY league all the way to MAC level) that are doing research on the problems. I buy into their findings on global warming.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 19:32; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-06, 17:49

steveschneider wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that's the problem no one wants to believe credible institutions anymore. These 100's of credible institutions and fine research being done in our Universities (IVY league all the way to MAC level) that are doing fine research on the problems.

Hey Steve? Did you ever read the long term forecast by the woman from Tampa? I'll have to dig it up. Was written in the 60s or early 70s and so far has been spot on. MUCH more accurate that NASA or NWS. I'll try to find it tonight or in the morning.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 19:30

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that's the problem no one wants to believe credible institutions anymore. These 100's of credible institutions and fine research being done in our Universities (IVY league all the way to MAC level) that are doing fine research on the problems.

Hey Steve? Did you ever read the long term forecast by the woman from Tampa? I'll have to dig it up. Was written in the 60s or early 70s and so far has been spot on. MUCH more accurate that NASA or NWS. I'll try to find it tonight or in the morning.

I haven't. I tried to google it and I couldn't find a book on global warming with that title. Do you have the authors name?

That being said, I already probably know the theories about the variations in climate and the fluctuations in our planets orbit, axis etc that cause it over time.

I think where a lot of people disagree is on the green house gasses and the fossil fuel/agricultural industries impacts on climate change. I'm siding with what the overwhelming number of experts say on the topic. I watched a 60 Minutes episode on the retreating glacier in Greenland. I bought into what the researcher from Columbia University was saying. When I see a scientist as brilliant as Stephen Hawking talk about global warming I trust it.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-06, 20:02

steveschneider wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I haven't. I tried to google it and I couldn't find a book on global warming with that title. Do you have the authors name?

That being said, I already probably know the theories about the variations in climate and the fluctuations in our planets orbit, axis etc that cause it over time.

I think where a lot of people disagree is on the green house gasses and the fossil fuel/agricultural industries impacts on climate change. I'm siding with what the overwhelming number of experts say on the topic. I watched a 60 Minutes episode on the retreating glacier in Greenland. I bought into what the researcher from Columbia University was saying. When I see a scientist as brilliant as Stephen Hawking talk about global warming I trust it.

Well I don't deny climate change. I do deny the accuracy of the catastrophic consequences.

OK.....I got the town wrong in my memory - the article appeared in the St. Petersburg Times back in 1979.

It has basically nailed the temperature changes since then including the peak around 2000. Her prediction
now is that it's going to get really cold. Obviously that's contrary to everyone else.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-06, 21:16

Thanks for posting, I will give it a good read tomorrow after my coffee.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2016-12-06, 22:01

LooseGoose wrote:

Amazing how all those celebs you worship fly jets all over the world "fighting" climate change....then return to their waterfront homes.   You'd think they really weren't worried about rising seas.

I worship no one and nothing.  I'm a celebrity / politician agnostic.

Jesus Goose, are you threatened by any opinion that differs from yours?

Trump is an opportunistic flimflam man who wants to use global climate change on one side of the Atlantic while denying it is happening stateside.

Facts are mean.

Who do you "worship" Goose?

Why attack me and infer I have some hero worship?  
Because I have the gall  to challenge conservative beliefs you espouse?
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-12-07, 13:28

I still don't understand the position of someone like goose (outside of his fully admitting that he only cares about ending abortion and as such he supports every policy from the side more likely to do that) who admits that they aren't a leading scientist and doesn't believe were fucking up the planet. Let's look at the two sides and the four possible scenarios of either side "winning" and what wpould happen to demonstrate what I mean;

1) I believe were messing up the climate and I'm right.

We attempt to save the world from cataclysmic disaster. Its expensive, but undoubtedly worth it.

2) I believe were destroying the climate but I'm wrong.

We spend a bunch of money cleaning up the earth but it wasn't really necessary. But, my streams are clean, the air is better for me, and potentially pollution problems are harder to come by.

3) I don't believe were messing up the climate and I'm right

Energy costs are  cheaper. Oil company profits are much better. Pollution still sucks. But, I saved some money and the earth is fine.

4) I don't believe were messing up the climate and I'm wrong.

Cataclysmic disaster.

Honestly, when looking at those four scenarios as not a leading scientist, I can't think of a reason to not support climate change is a problem efforts. Is the couple of bucks saved really worth  massive downside risk? Why would you want that?

(Really I think it just comes down to my side vs your side so I'm going to support my side no matter what because fuck you)

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-12-07, 14:04

(Really I think it just comes down to my side vs your side so I'm going to support my side no matter what because fuck you)

It's exactly this, Travis. Spot on fucking post, by the way. You put it much better than I could.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-12-07, 14:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I still don't understand the position of someone like goose (outside of his fully admitting that he only cares about ending abortion and as such he supports every policy from the side more likely to do that) who admits that they aren't a leading scientist and doesn't believe were fucking up the planet. Let's look at the two sides and the four possible scenarios of either side "winning" and what wpould happen to demonstrate what I mean;

We attempt to save the world from cataclysmic disaster. Its expensive, but undoubtedly worth it.

We spend a bunch of money cleaning up the earth but it wasn't really necessary. But, my streams are clean, the air is better for me, and potentially pollution problems are harder to come by.

Energy costs are  cheaper. Oil company profits are much better. Pollution still sucks. But, I saved some money and the earth is fine.

Cataclysmic disaster.

Honestly, when looking at those four scenarios as not a leading scientist, I can't think of a reason to not support climate change is a problem efforts. Is the couple of bucks saved really worth  massive downside risk? Why would you want that?

I always wonder about the militant pro-life folks.

I mean, what if the little zygote they're fighting for one day ends up killing 4 brave Americans with her email account?

or what if the bag of cells was black.. or a Muslim.. or a Mexican?

seems like they should call themselves "selectively pro-life"....

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-12-07, 15:51

Remember when it was called "Global Warming" until that was disproved and it reappeared as "Climate Change"? No shit the climates changing! Pretty hard to disprove that one.

Last edited by CheesySpartan on 2016-12-07, 15:53; edited 1 time in total

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-12-07, 15:52

CheesySpartan wrote:Remember when it was called "Global Warming" until that was disproved and it reappeared as "Climate Change" so it pretty much can't be wrong.

Bad post. -1.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-12-07, 15:53

"(Really I think it just comes down to my side vs your side so I'm going to support my side no matter what because fuck you)"

Come on cheesy. Smarter and better than this. Don't be a mouthpiece.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-12-07, 15:55

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"(Really I think it just comes down to my side vs your side so I'm going to support my side no matter what because fuck you)"

I just find that funny.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-12-07, 15:58

CheesySpartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:"(Really I think it just comes down to my side vs your side so I'm going to support my side no matter what because fuck you)"

I just find that funny.

Its not really that funny and its mostly marketing. See, when they first started talking about it they didn't think that 1000s of morons would see the first snow of the year and say "haha global warming right? You're so stupid." Never thought it would be necessary to clarify that the world isn't literally getting warmer by the minute and that winter won't exist by 2020, but they way over estimated the education levels of most Americans.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-12-07, 16:09

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/04/cow-farts-really-significantly-contribute-global-warming/

So is CO2 emissions from humans or CH4 (Methane) emissions from nature (basically animal flatulence and decomposing organic matter) the bigger problem?

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-12-07, 16:22

CheesySpartan wrote:http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/04/cow-farts-really-significantly-contribute-global-warming/

So is CO2 emissions from humans or CH4 (Methane) emissions from nature (basically animal flatulence and decomposing organic matter) the bigger problem?

I'm not a scientist so I don't really know. What I do know is that if protecting the environment is the wrong thing to do, I'll eat my hat!

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/11/saying-ill-eat-hat-come/

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-07, 16:22

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Well I don't deny climate change. I do deny the accuracy of the catastrophic consequences.

OK.....I got the town wrong in my memory - the article appeared in the St. Petersburg Times back in 1979.

It has basically nailed the temperature changes since then including the peak around 2000. Her prediction
now is that it's going to get really cold. Obviously that's contrary to everyone else.

Thank you for this article, I read through it and my big call out are two things.

1) that information is so old and outdated.

2) the doctor cited in that article that you listed, I googled him and he's done a lot of current research on the dangers of accelerated climate change. https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2016/11/accelerated-level-of-climate-change-impacting-ecological-processes

There is something 2016 where he is an advocate for curbing emissions.

3) Their forecast past 2000 where they forecast a cooling period is off. There have been record high temps.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-12-07, 16:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/04/cow-farts-really-significantly-contribute-global-warming/

I'm not a scientist so I don't really know. What I do know is that if protecting the environment is the wrong thing to do, I'll eat my hat!

I'll help you out...

Focusing on carbon emissions is only half the battle – or 74 percent of total emissions to be exact – but, focusing on the percentage of total emissions is extremely misleading because it ignores global warming potential altogether.

We’ve seen that methane, which accounts for only 14 percent of emissions worldwide, traps up to 100 times more heat than carbon dioxide over a 5-year period. This means that even though carbon dioxide molecules outnumber methane 5 to 1, this comparatively smaller amount of methane is still 19 times greater a problem for climate change over a 5 year period, and 4 times greater over a 100 year period.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/methane-vs-carbon-dioxide-a-greenhouse-gas-showdown/

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-12-07, 16:38

So cheesy what are you exactly getting at? scratch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2016-12-07, 16:39

CheesySpartan wrote:

I'll help you out...

Focusing on carbon emissions is only half the battle – or 74 percent of total emissions to be exact – but, focusing on the percentage of total emissions is extremely misleading because it ignores global warming potential altogether.

We’ve seen that methane, which accounts for only 14 percent of emissions worldwide, traps up to 100 times more heat than carbon dioxide over a 5-year period. This means that even though carbon dioxide molecules outnumber methane 5 to 1, this comparatively smaller amount of methane is still 19 times greater a problem for climate change over a 5 year period, and 4 times greater over a 100 year period.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/methane-vs-carbon-dioxide-a-greenhouse-gas-showdown/

Okay, so were acknowledging the problem, just arguing about how to fix it. Cool, that's what I'm looking for. I'm not going to get into the weeds about specific emissions, how many windmills, etc etc. That wasn't my point here. My only point was to show how sticking our heads in the sand and pretending there isn't an issue at all is playing a very very dangerous game.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-07, 16:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:So cheesy what are you exactly getting at? scratch

The agricultural industry contributes heavily to global warming.

Cows fart/belch and emit a ton of methane.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-07, 16:44

CheesySpartan wrote:

I'll help you out...

Okay, so were acknowledging the problem, just arguing about how to fix it. Cool, that's what I'm looking for. I'm not going to get into the weeds about specific emissions, how many windmills, etc etc. That wasn't my point here. My only point was to show how sticking our heads in the sand and pretending there isn't an issue at all is playing a very very dangerous game.

Here's a list of things you can do on an individual level:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/03/upshot/what-you-can-do-about-climate-change.html

steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2016-12-07, 16:46

steveschneider wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/03/upshot/what-you-can-do-about-climate-change.html

Seems like a bunch of good habits that people should pick up anyway.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2016-12-07, 16:54

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Seems like a bunch of good habits that people should pick up anyway.

On our Subaru we are getting 24mpg in the city and 32mpg on the highway. Better for the environment and we save $$$. A win win.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2016-12-07, 17:53

CheesySpartan wrote:Remember when it was called "Global Warming" until that was disproved and it reappeared as "Climate Change"? No shit the climates changing! Pretty hard to disprove that one.

Its funny. I'll laugh my ass off when a February tornado destroys your home.

Why do some people think science is an ala catre menu. I'll believe science when I take my child to their doctor. I'll listen to the oncologist if my spouse or myself are diagnosed with cancer.

But those climate guys? They don't know shit.
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 18:32

steveschneider wrote:
1) that information is so old and outdated.

2) the doctor cited in that article that you listed, I googled him and he's done a lot of current research on the dangers of accelerated climate change. https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2016/11/accelerated-level-of-climate-change-impacting-ecological-processes

There is something 2016 where he is an advocate for curbing emissions.

3) Their forecast past 2000 where they forecast a cooling period is off. There have been record high temps.

It's old and outdated because it's a prediction that actually came true unlike every prediction of the "climate scientists" over the past 30 years.

And your 3 is absolutely incorrect - even the global warming pushers have acknowledged there have been 18 years of steady temps? We've had a pause in the rise of temps since at least the year 2000. Even the IPCC no longer disputes that.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 19:32

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I still don't understand the position of someone like goose (outside of his fully admitting that he only cares about ending abortion and as such he supports every policy from the side more likely to do that) who admits that they aren't a leading scientist and doesn't believe were fucking up the planet. Let's look at the two sides and the four possible scenarios of either side "winning" and what wpould happen to demonstrate what I mean;

Cataclysmic disaster.

It's laughable that you think you can "save" the world somehow. Also laughable that all of the skeptics on here about everything else swallow whole all the warming bullshit. Why is that laughable? Because they've been dead wrong for decades and decades and continue to be wrong yet you all suck it right up and call me the fool. Amazing.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 19:32

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 19:34

And then there's articles like this....we have record sea ice a couple years ago....because of global warming.

Record sea ice around Antarctica due to global warming

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 19:39

And this shit has been spewed either warming or cooling for 100s of years.  What a revelation!!   The Climate changes.

1817 - Huge amounts of ice had "disappeared" in the Arctic

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 20:36; edited 1 time in total

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 19:40

1890 - The Muir glacier was in "rapid retreat"

Were fossil fuels to blame in 1817 and 1890???

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2016-12-07, 20:41; edited 1 time in total

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum