Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb

+20
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
Jake from State Farm
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
AnomanderRake
The_Dude
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
Herbie Green
tGreenWay
TheReal_LWS
GRR Spartan
MSU addict
Turtleneck
The Pantry
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
24 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Empty PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-12-31, 12:37

Got an 8.5 lb butt for less than the cost of one of the 6 packs I bought.

If you don't know how to cook one but want to take a shot at a delicious dinner, now's your chance. Take roast, apply heat until it starts falling apart (200+ internal temp), use forks to shred, apply sauce (or don't) and serve. Good luck.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Empty Re: PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb

Post by DWags 2016-12-31, 12:43

Doing it for tomorrow WBH. Sauce recipes welcomed.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Empty Re: PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb

Post by The Pantry 2016-12-31, 12:54

gHost Spartan wrote:My wife wanted me to pick one up earlier in the week and I forgot. I think she puts that fucker in the crock pot. Either way, she'll find a way to fuck it up.
Very difficult to screw up a butt, especially in a crock pot. The only way to fuck it up is over-seasoning.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-12-31, 13:22

gHost Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Very difficult to screw up a butt, especially in a crock pot. The only way to fuck it up is over-seasoning.

Dude my wife fucks everything she makes up. She's the worst cook on the planet. Her cooking is a piece of shit.
Sorry to hear you chose poorly. My ex was/is an awesome cook.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-12-31, 13:23

gHost Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Very difficult to screw up a butt, especially in a crock pot. The only way to fuck it up is over-seasoning.

Dude my wife fucks everything she makes up. She's the worst cook on the planet. Her cooking is a piece of shit.

That is why I love her.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2016-12-31, 13:41

gHost Spartan wrote:Dude my wife fucks everything she makes up. She's the worst cook on the planet. Her cooking is a piece of shit.
Maybe she is trying to kill you.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-12-31, 21:16

Got a 9 pounder at Meijer last night @ $1.29/lb.

This AM I put it in my Lodge cast iron Dutch oven, poured a can of Horny Monk over it, sprinkled a few tablespoons of Paul Prudhomme salt free seasoning and into the oven for 8 hours.

Easy Midwest farm meal. Tomorrow the leftovers are pulled pork sandwiches.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-12-31, 21:23

I have venison shoulder in the freezer. But thanks.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-12-31, 22:35

TheReal_LWS wrote:I have venison shoulder in the freezer. But thanks.
Co-worker is an avid hunter. Grinds his own meat. Brought smoked venison and elk sausages to work last week that were awesome. Gave me some frozen venison burgers (3:1 blend venison/bacon) that I'm looking forward to throwing on the grill tomorrow.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-12-31, 22:39

The Pantry wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:I have venison shoulder in the freezer. But thanks.
Co-worker is an avid hunter. Grinds his own meat. Brought smoked venison and elk sausages to work last week that were awesome. Gave me some frozen venison burgers (3:1 blend venison/bacon) that I'm looking forward to throwing on the grill tomorrow.

Most guys do.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-01, 07:51

Meijer has Blueberries 2 pints $4 - 2 pints will make a nice pie.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-01, 11:04

I recently discovered the thin sliced pork shoulder steaks at meijer. They are 2 or 3 bucks a pound, throw them on the gas grill for 4 minutes a side with some open pit and they are absolutely delicious. Might be the best bang for my buck of about anything I ever made.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-02, 11:37

Well I guess you weren't impressed with my blade steaks so I went to Kroger and got myself a butt. 8 pounds in the oven at 300 with garlic and pepper and butt rub and one can of labatts.
I apologize if my methods are not advanced but I am a virgin. But I am thinking I might pull this off and have food for the whole neighborhood for $8.63.
Stay tuned
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-02, 11:46

300 degrees is a bit warm unless you are planning on slicing it.

Patience and 250 degrees
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-01-02, 11:52

Herbie Green wrote:Well I guess you weren't impressed with my blade steaks so I went to Kroger and got myself a butt. 8 pounds in the oven at 300 with garlic and pepper and butt rub and one can of labatts.
I apologize if my methods are not advanced but I am a virgin. But I am thinking I might pull this off and have food for the whole neighborhood for $8.63.
Stay tuned

We need pictures Herbie. I like seeing the results as well as reading about them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-02, 12:01

K I turned it down to 275. Hopefully it will be done before bed time.
...I have never "hosted" a picture. It looks sketchy and complex
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 07:53

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR = 42 bpm
BP = 118/72 mmHg

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-03, 08:20

PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Giphy
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 08:22

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Giphy
PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb 969504605

Happy New Year.. hope you enjoyed the annual celebration of the birth of Santa Claus.

you're a great American.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-03, 08:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb Giphy
PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb 969504605

Happy New Year.. hope you enjoyed the annual celebration of the birth of Santa Claus.

you're a great American.

How was Europe? Did you see anything nice? Also, so that we're technically on topic and not #chitchatting did you see any pork butt for $0.99 in Europe or no?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 08:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb 969504605

you're a great American.

How was Europe? Did you see anything nice? Also, so that we're technically on topic and not #chitchatting did you see any pork butt for $0.99 in Europe or no?
Europe was good.. it's still there. Spent most of our time in central/west London, went to Cambridge for a few days then over into France.

ya know, I failed to noticed the price of pork butt.. I generally try to stay away from food-like products whose euphemism is also "fat ass".. though I'm not always successful.

Enjoy the pork butt, brah. PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-03, 08:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Europe was good.. it's still there. Spent most of our time in central/west London, went to Cambridge for a few days then over into France.

ya know, I failed to noticed the price of pork butt.. I generally try to stay away from food-like products whose euphemism is also "fat ass".. though I'm not always successful.

Enjoy the pork butt, brah. PSA - Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for .99/lb 969504605

I didn't get any and I'm not sure if it's still on sale :(

I'm glad Europe was nice!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 08:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Europe was good.. it's still there. Spent most of our time in central/west London, went to Cambridge for a few days then over into France.

what's been going on around here?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-01-03, 08:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

what's been going on around here?

Standard stuff. Same ole fights and sometimes we talk about sports and stuff I dunno.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 08:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what's been going on around here?

Standard stuff. Same ole fights and sometimes we talk about sports and stuff I dunno.
cool - I'd hate to think that I might've missed something.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-03, 09:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Did you see any football games?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 09:34

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Europe was good.. it's still there. Spent most of our time in central/west London, went to Cambridge for a few days then over into France.

American football? no.. I saw a few games on here and there but I can't say that I actually watched any myself.

tried to hit up a few BPL games in London - they have a wealth of teams - but timing-wise it didn't work out. Plus tix for Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc - difficult to acquire and it wasn't that important to me.

saw some good bands in small little venues, though.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-03, 10:31

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

American football? no.. I saw a few games on here and there but I can't say that I actually watched any myself.

tried to hit up a few BPL games in London - they have a wealth of teams - but timing-wise it didn't work out. Plus tix for Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc - difficult to acquire and it wasn't that important to me.

Are the fish n chips good?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-01-03, 10:39

Herbie Green wrote:K I turned it down to 275. Hopefully it will be done before bed time.

How did it turn out?

You do not need to worry about temps, not trying to shoot anyone's advice down but I've done a lot of experimenting. If you're smoking, cooking low and slow might give you a better bark but that would be about the only benefit. You could cook that fucker at 450 degrees and it will be done when it's done when it's done. The shoulder is ultra forgiving because of the insane amount of fatty tissue in it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 10:40

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Are the fish n chips good?
meh..

kinda like going to the magical place known as Mackinac Island and eating fudge while enjoying being carried around in a horse-drawn carriage.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-03, 13:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:K I turned it down to 275. Hopefully it will be done before bed time.

How did it turn out?

You do not need to worry about temps, not trying to shoot anyone's advice down but I've done a lot of experimenting. If you're smoking, cooking low and slow might give you a better bark but that would be about the only benefit. You could cook that fucker at 450 degrees and it will be done when it's done when it's done. The shoulder is ultra forgiving because of the insane amount of fatty tissue in it.

It turned out unbelievably well. I didn't trust my feel on the flaking fork technique so I went with a meat thermometer (which I also rarely get to work but I thought it might be accurate in this case due to thickness).
I read 180-205 guidance. I got up to 190 and gave it another hour to be sure and it was still 190 so I went with it. I get the feeling if I cooked it an hour more or less it wasn't really going to matter.
Basically, you have revolutionized my lifestyle
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-01-03, 13:55

Nice. Next time try taking the internal temps even higher. 205+. It will pull apart with no effort at all and be even more tender and juicy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-03, 14:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

There's no more pork in Europe with all the Moslems running around
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-03, 14:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Nice. Next time try taking the internal temps even higher. 205+. It will pull apart with no effort at all and be even more tender and juicy.

205 was my goal but I was running out of time. But that is more good news to go on the high side since that is my instinct. It will be easier to execute next time if I am not afraid to turn it up and get an earlier start
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-01-03, 14:07

Every time you shop at Kroger you're taking money out of my bonus $$$. Curse you all!
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-01-03, 14:23

AnomanderRake wrote:Every time you shop at Kroger you're taking money out of my bonus $$$. Curse you all!
I don't go to Kroger..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-03, 14:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:Every time you shop at Kroger you're taking money out of my bonus $$$. Curse you all!
I don't go to Kroger..

Yeah, Kroger is for the plebs.

Whole Foods or nothing.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-01-03, 16:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I don't go to Kroger..

Thank you Bob.

From - Me, My non-existent children, and future ex-wife
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-01-03, 16:52

Until some other store, besides Kroger, starts selling Boarshead brand deli meats & cheeses, they'll continue to get some of my business.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-01-03, 17:04

tGreenWay wrote:

Until some other store, besides Kroger, starts selling Boarshead brand deli meats & cheeses, they'll continue to get some of my business.

Fair enough but I encourage you to try Dietz & Watson at Meijer when you get a chance. Boars Head is better than most deli meats but they're definitely not infallible.

Dietz & Watson is in the same price range, very comparable in price/quality and they post all of their ingredients online, something Boars Head has never and will never do because their marketing is mostly BS.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next