tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Video Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan on Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 22:29

DWags wrote:So, is Wonder Woman good? If so, why?
Yes. There was a thread about it specifically a day or so ago, and it seemed that the handful of people here that had seen it (myself included) liked it quite a bit. And not just because she's hot. The actress seemed to fit the role well, and the character was pretty bad ass. What I mentioned in the other thread, is that it's largely more of a war movie than a superhero movie, except for the climatic scene where it shouldn't be a spoiler alert to say that the superhero needs to be very supery.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 17:07

The Mummy was not very good. I had low expectations going in, but it is just a big mess.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 19:32

Hey guys is waonder woman good?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 19:42

Rocinante wrote:Hey guys is waonder woman good?

Some butt-munch made a thread about it, even though there is a movie discussion thread.

Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 20:02

Is WW appropriate for a 4.5 year old?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 20:32

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Is WW appropriate for a 4.5 year old?

Does s/he scare easily? There's some stuff that might be disturbing.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Sun 11 Jun 2017 - 21:11

Someone brought a 4 year old into Alien: Covenant, so I'm sure it's okay for your kiddos.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Mon 12 Jun 2017 - 12:01

There's a lot of violence, but not a lot of gore. But there are some fairly intense fighting/war scenes.

Also, there's a naked dude that's only covering his schlong with his hands, but I don't think a 4yo would make much of that. It wasn't in a sexual sense at all (especially a kid wouldn't interpret it as that), but was more of a comedic point.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Mon 12 Jun 2017 - 15:26

I watched that Legend of Tarzan (2016) last night. I give it about a B.

You'd be surprised to know that Christoph Waltz plays the bad guy.

Margot Robbie plays the hottie.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 10:40

Have you guys seen this NY Times ranking of the 25 best movies of the 2000's? Sheesh, I've seen 3 of these. I'll spoiler tag which ones in case you want to read the list yourself before weighing in. Not spoiler tagging the list because that's too much effort.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/09/movies/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Spoiler:
Inside Out, which I would agree is very good. Though 7 seems high. The Hurt Locker, which filmies all say is brilliant but I didn't really like it. 40 y.o. Virgin. Which, while hilarious, for my $ if you're gonna put a 2000s comedy on this list, it should be Old School.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 11:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Have you guys seen this NY Times ranking of the 25 best movies of the 2000's? Sheesh, I've seen 3 of these. I'll spoiler tag which ones in case you want to read the list yourself before weighing in. Not spoiler tagging the list because that's too much effort.

I am not as nice as you.

I've seen on that list.

1). There will be Blood, which I've probably seen 5 times and still love, although the more times I watch it the more I wish that Paul Dano hadn't played both the Sunday brothers. I loved him as Eli, but the twin thing was just confusing. There's an interesting story behind that, btw. Check it out.

3). Million Dollar Babby: Don't remember being impressed. I guess I could watch it again, but I am hard pressed to understand a "third best movie of the 21st century" tag. Oh, Clint Eastwood plays a grizzled bitter old man, and Morgan Freeman is his magical negro again? Sounds riveting. Note: magical negro is a thing.

7). Inside Out: Not going to lie, I cried.

10). The Hurt Locker: Damn good flick. Don't really have much else to say about that.

11). Inside Llewyn Davis: I love this movie. It sticks with me and I think about it a lot. It has some dragging scenes, but it's representational of the new Cohen brothers. They seem to have more sentimentality in their last few projects and I'm okay with that.

16). Munich: Another damn good flick, and for some of the same reasons as Hurt Locker. There is a struggle between duty and conscience.

19). Fury Road: As I've said on here before, I felt like I had a hangover after I waled out of that movie. I was dizzy from it. I guess that means there was something unique about it, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

20). Moonlight: The first half of this film is among the best I've ever seen. I'm still evaluating my feelings about the rest of it, but that says something too, I guess.

24). Eternal Sunshine: I love this movie. I love anything written by Charlie Kaufman. It's not fanboy, I just can't watch one of his movies and not be enrapt.

25). The 40 year old Virgin: Great movie, but if I"m going with an Apatow movie, I'm going with Knocked Up. It's very funny and the relationship between Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann is heartbreakingly real at times. Maybe it's just that Steve Carell bugs me for an unexplained reason.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 11:50

What I've seen:

1. There Will Be Blood - Masterpiece. Tough to watch sometimes, but shows the true greed and evil that human beings can have.

7. Inside Out - Seriously? I got bored with this movie and walked out to go see Jurassic World again.

8. Boyhood - Seriously? This movie stunk. Big time. I struggled to watch the entire movie, because I have been through Boyhood as well. So has EVERY SINGLE MAN ON EARTH.

10. Hurt Locker - Renner was really good, but I felt it was lacking some punch.

19. Mad Max: Fury Road - All action movies can take tips from this one. So damn good.

20. Moonlight - Shouldn't have won Best Picture. However, due to the topics discussed in the film and the current social scene, it was going to win.

25. 40 Year-Old Virgin - How is this on the list? I don't understand. It is really well done and hilarious, but I don't consider it one of the greatest movies of the last 17 years.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 12:34

James Earl Jones, ol Darth Vadar thanks Manistee Michigan for his start. Good man, cool guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGK2kLUaCw&feature=share

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 12:37

I've only seen 3 of those. I don't think I've even heard of more than 10 of them.

Million Dollar Baby - Barely remember it. But one of the Top 25 of the last 17 years? GTFO.

Inside Out - It was ok. Up was much much better, if we're talking animated films.

Munich - It was ok, but it would never enter into my head among the Top 25.

Of course, this is from the NY Times, so they're going to try to be a little artsy/uppity with some, while also being very politically correct with others.

Any "listicle" is basically just clickbait, but it's my own damn fault for biting.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 13:45

Here's the one's I've seen:

1). There will be Blood: Great movie. One of my all time favorites. Just about anything with Daniel Day Lewis is on my favorite list.

3). Million Dollar Baby: This was OK. Not the biggest fan. Clint Eastwood has been typecast and the grumpy old man for a while now. Whatever.

10). The Hurt Locker: Really good movie. Maybe not in my own top 25 list of the 2000's but still pretty awesome.

16). Munich: Good movie. Wasn't totally into it, but I can see why some people loved it.

19). Fury Road: An epic pure action movie. Maybe my favorite action movie of all time. Visually stunning as well.

24). Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: It's been a while since I've seen this. From what I remember it was ok. Pretty weird movie. Not anywhere near my top 25 though.

25). The 40 Year Old Virgin: Love this movie. Couldn't buy that Kat Dennings was a virgin in it though. That chick fucks.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Tue 13 Jun 2017 - 13:49

Kat dennings is one of those women who is super hot without makeup.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Fri 16 Jun 2017 - 23:43

Just finished John Wick 2. I had started it a number of times but had not gotten through it. My windows are limited and I just don't have the energy to stay up much past 12 anymore.

At any rate, I fucking loved it. Yes, it's completely out of control absurd, but it's still awesome. I love the way it ended because it's gonna set up for a trilogy. A series like this - there's absolutely no reason to try to retain some sort of movie critic sanctimony. Fuck that. Wick is gonna kill everybody and if you try to tell him there shouldn't be a III, the Bogeyman might kill you, too.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Sat 17 Jun 2017 - 13:33

Dude they're getting ready to do a 3rd film and a tv show based on the Continental hotel he stayed in. Awesome stuff.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 16:31

Pretty sudden announcement. I wonder if he has health issues.

Greatest actor of all-time?

Daniel Day-Lewis retiring from acting effective immediately.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 16:43

Death Roe wrote:Pretty sudden announcement. I wonder if he has health issues.

Greatest actor of all-time?

Daniel Day-Lewis retiring from acting effective immediately.

Hope he's ok. :(
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 18:28

That sucks. I would watch him take a shit and be entertained. Maybe that's why he is quitting.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 22:01

Transformers 5 was way better than the 4th one which isn't a huge compliment. But I enjoyed it a ton. Bayhem at its finest.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 22:16

Saw the mommy last night with the fam. Star Gratiot on Gratiot and 15 has a bar now. and reclining seats. Glad I didn't have to drive home. Movie was meh, I didn't know Tom Cruise was in it. Or Russel Crowe. Wife and kids were o.k. with it. I thought it would be a scary movie but it's action adventure.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 22:41

The mommy sounds interesting. Big fan of MILFs.

I can't possibly comprehend why someone would go see Transformers 5.

I watched Mad Max, Fury Road on Saturday night. It was entertaining but did not think it was great.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 22:45

Thanks for the support.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 23:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The mommy sounds interesting. Big fan of MILFs.

I can't possibly comprehend why someone would go see Transformers 5.

I watched Mad Max, Fury Road on Saturday night. It was entertaining but did not think it was great.

If you're an action movie fan, I don't say this often, but you have to see that on the big screen. I was dumbfounded by that moobie

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 23:17

Mad Max you mean I presume?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 7:21

Yeah, I saw Fury Road in IMAX and was blown away.

You'd need to see it at someone's house with an amazing home theater setup to get close.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 15:11

Today is the one year anniversary of the Person of Interest finale. If you never watched POI, I highly recommend it. It wasn't your typical OTA network fare.

Yesterday I learned that the soundtrack from the finale was a piece called "Metamorphosis One" by American pianist/composer Philip Glass. I guess I'm not very cultured in these things because I never heard of him before. Anyway, it's a pretty haunting piece. I'm pretty obsessed with it right now. /confession

Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 16:19

Is it legal to say Sansa is hot yet? I hope so.

Jon Snow going beast mode. I like it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 20:50

Yeah that looks awesome. Too bad it's only 7 episodes.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 22:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:Today is the one year anniversary of the Person of Interest finale. If you never watched POI, I highly recommend it. It wasn't your typical OTA network fare.

Yesterday I learned that the soundtrack from the finale was a piece called "Metamorphosis One" by American pianist/composer Philip Glass. I guess I'm not very cultured in these things because I never heard of him before. Anyway, it's a pretty haunting piece. I'm pretty obsessed with it right now. /confession

Excellent show.
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Wed 21 Jun 2017 - 22:19

Floyd likes Phillip Glass.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Thu 22 Jun 2017 - 5:02

Rocinante wrote:Floyd likes Phillip Glass.

One damn song, dammit.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 23:25

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Have you guys seen this NY Times ranking of the 25 best movies of the 2000's? Sheesh, I've seen 3 of these. I'll spoiler tag which ones in case you want to read the list yourself before weighing in. Not spoiler tagging the list because that's too much effort.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/09/movies/the-25-best-films-of-the-21st-century.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Spoiler:
Inside Out, which I would agree is very good. Though 7 seems high. The Hurt Locker, which filmies all say is brilliant but I didn't really like it. 40 y.o. Virgin. Which, while hilarious, for my $ if you're gonna put a 2000s comedy on this list, it should be Old School.

Mad Max Fury Road.

nuff said

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 23:37

What just happened

I don't know man, when it comes to movies I'm pretty simple. I like a good plot that builds tension, and something kick ass that resolves that tension. It seems to me that a lot of these bullshit lists are about cinematography, and framing, and CGI, and Heath Ledger acting like a fucking weirdo. Doesn't get my rocks off, sorry.

Why is some douchebag chained to the front of a dune buggy playing electric guitar? Stupid. Does not contribute to the plot. MM:FR was just a giant game of tag essentially. Super weird. Ok....if you're into tag.

Action movies way better than MM:FR:

Taken
The Equalizer
John Wick

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on Fri 23 Jun 2017 - 23:56

Why don't you watch Asian action flicks wbh?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Sat 24 Jun 2017 - 20:34

The run pee app

When you're in a movie and have to pee but there isn't a pause button. Run pee watches movies at first showing they then make the decision of twice during the movies where a lull in the action is. When the movies starts you press start. When a lull is coming your phone vibrates to let you know the best time to run pee and miss the most insignificant parts.

Of course when everyone has the app eventually there will be a mad rush to the RR.

Take a leak. Miss little
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 20:29

Watching "Big Trouble in Little China" for the first time ever. I know I know.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 20:46

Also just watched "Gangs of New York" for the first time on Sunday. How, HOW, did Daniel Day-Lewis NOT win the Oscar for being Bill the Butcher?!?!

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum