Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist?

+13
GRR Spartan
Motown Spartan
tGreenWay
The Pantry
duffy munn
aualum06
tanfan!
Death Roe
InTenSity
The_Dude
BleacherSwill
DWags
Da Mayor
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist? - Page 2 Empty Re: If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist?

Post by DWags 2017-01-16, 08:11

tGreenWay wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I do what I always do on MLK day. Eat some fried chicken with greens and mac n cheese. Wash it down with some grape drink.

Typical douche. What you need is a time out, not a day off. Apparently, the mods all subscribe to the notion of a post-racial society since BHO was elected.

We all know what kind of person he is.  He's the lowest kind of scum we have in America.  He posted that with every intention of being the POS racist he is, but in his ignorance, he actually is paying tribute to King.  If you've ever done any reading on MLK's life, you know it has a ton of references to his appetite and his love of food.  It's been said when he sat at a dinner table, no shop talk was allowed.  Just eating and family talk.  He really did love Fried Chicken.  I don't ever recall a mac and cheese reference or grape drink, so I'm sure it's just the Dude's ignorant racist stereotyping.   Again, I'll let it go because I'm glad he brought up one of our icons greatest joys in life.  I'm going to post a story about the day he died, and the "dinner that never was"   It's a good read.

AS far as the OP, we also know why he started this thread, but it's tSwill, all is well.  If he's seriously not taking the time do do something with friends or family who the fuck cares?   I'm guessing he probably doesn't really have that option so good for the man he works for.   Whatever.

April 4th, 1968, the dinner that never was.  "A shot rings out in the Memphis sky"
Excerpt:

Oh, he was a big eater. He never shied away from the table, " said Dr. Bernard LaFayette, a distinguished scholar-in-residence at the University of Rhode Island, who worked closely with King as a student volunteer and Freedom Rider, and later as national coordinator for the poor people's campaign King launched just before he was killed. "Growing up in the Baptist church, so much centered around meals. The church was an extension of your home."

LaFayette said during that tumultuous time food was often eaten on the run. "We ate a lot of Vienna sausage and potted meat out of a can, with soda crackers, " he said.

Food - and lack of access to it - played a pivotal role in some of the most memorable civil rights struggles including the sit-ins at "whites only" lunch counters around the South.

Food also served to humanize the leaders of the movement.

The tradition of fellowship and food has roots back to slavery, Kyles said.

"There wasn't much pleasureable going on in the lives of slaves except for food, " he said. "They took the leftovers, the throwaways like chitlins and made delicacies out of them."

Last edited by DWags on 2017-01-16, 08:31; edited 2 times in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist? - Page 2 Empty Re: If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist?

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-16, 08:26

Many of my customers don't treat  MLK Day as a holiday but none treat President's Day, Veterans Day or Columbus Day as one either.  

Now if you live in Boston its a different story.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-01-15, 08:54

Bump. I'm working today. Fuck the haters.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-01-15, 17:30

gHost Spartan wrote:Any updates on this?

Just got out of work, bro. Saved myself a day of vacation.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-01-15, 18:47

Fuck.

You.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-01-15, 19:04

Rocinante wrote:Fuck.

You.

If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist? - Page 2 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-01-15, 19:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Fuck.

You.

If your office is closed for MLK Day but you work anyway, does that make you a racist? - Page 2 502811600

You slay me, bros.
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-15, 19:17

I worked a few hours. But I hung a sign reading EDMUND PETTIS BRIDGE over my stairwell.

SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-01-15, 22:08

Da Mayor wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:Any updates on this?

Just got out of work, bro. Saved myself a day of vacation.

You should've played golf. Rolling Eyes
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-01-15, 22:11

Y’all companies actually track your days off? Unlimited, motherfuckers.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-15, 22:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Y’all companies actually track your days off? Unlimited, motherfuckers.
Dream on, millennial slacker.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-01-15, 22:28

The Pantry wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Y’all companies actually track your days off? Unlimited, motherfuckers.
Dream on, millennial slacker.

I dream of shredding the gnar on slopes, i already have unlimited.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2