Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry 2017-05-30, 21:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Actually yes. The 7 year old wanted oatmeal.

My family does not eat what I eat typically. They are not interested in my meat/protein heavy foods so I just go it alone.
Do they hate mayo?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-05-30, 21:38

The Pantry wrote:

My family does not eat what I eat typically. They are not interested in my meat/protein heavy foods so I just go it alone.
Do they hate mayo?

I don't know, I don't think anyone in my house really eats mayo.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-05-31, 07:00

The cereal guess wasn't snide, was from experience.

When mine were young and I was cooking up something they wanted nothing to do with that was the fallback option.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-06-07, 19:48

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 1362440668

Chicken night. Grilled pork chops last night, so I didn't feel like grilling again. No onions, so fajitas were out.  As I was cutting up the lettuce it was coming out in perfect lettuce wraps. So I ground that bird up and made lettuce wraps. Didn't have all the ingredints, so I ad libbed...

- 1lb Ground Chicken
- 8 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4+ tbp Peanut Butter (natural of course)
- 1/2 can of Ginger Beer
- Chopped Almonds & Sun Flower seeds (no waster chestnuts)
- Some Rice Vinegar, onion flakes, garlic, tumeric and a pinch of chili powder (dumped the hot sauce last weekend)

Exact quantities unknown, added to the sauce on the fly. Browned up the chicken, mixed in the sauce and nuts and Viola! Did a taste test and it tasted a bit soy heavy so I added a dab of peanut butter... and came out a bit too PBy...but still good. Needed some hot sauce.

Share and like on Pintergram.The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 20170610
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 20170612
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 20170611
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-07, 20:04

Nordic wrote:The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 1362440668

Chicken night. Grilled pork chops last night, so I didn't feel like grilling again. No onions, so fajitas were out.  As I was cutting up the lettuce it was coming out in perfect lettuce wraps. So I ground that bird up and made lettuce wraps. Didn't have all the ingredints, so I ad libbed...

- 1lb Ground Chicken
- 8 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4+ tbp Peanut Butter (natural of course)
- 1/2 can of Ginger Beer
- Chopped Almonds & Sun Flower seeds (no waster chestnuts)
- Some Rice Vinegar, onion flakes, garlic, tumeric and a pinch of chili powder (dumped the hot sauce last weekend)

Exact quantities unknown, added to the sauce on the fly. Browned up the chicken, mixed in the sauce and nuts and Viola! Did a taste test and it tasted a bit soy heavy so I added a dab of peanut butter... and came out a bit too PBy...but still good. Needed some hot sauce.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 20170612

Looks good....what did you use to grind it to get that size chunks?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-06-07, 20:15

Knowing Nordy, he probably used Grindr
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-06-07, 20:42

The Pantry wrote:True confession: Co-worker is a far more inspired cook than I.

Brought slices of smoked, stuffed fatties he made over the weekend into work today. Italian sausage he ground and seasoned to a perfect mix of mild and hot. Stuffed with red bell peppers, onions, asparagus, fresh morels...and string cheese.

Was outstanding.
Co-worker brought in more fatty slices today. No morels in this batch but still tasted great. Asked why he uses string cheese. Said it doesn't melt and ooze out like other cheeses.

Never made a fatty. On my to-do list.

btw...when was Minnie here last? The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 361471007
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-28, 15:26

Got some nice local berries last night. Freshly picked in the afternoon for $3 a quart so not a bad price.

Son #2's partner loves cobbler type desserts and they're coming over tonight so I kind of went out of the box and made a
Strawberry Cobbler.

Looks good, smells great - will give a taste report later.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 VaDKlA8
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Qm7vCHk
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 BJRb3As
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Oe0iioW
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-29, 15:58

I was pretty happy with the flavor, would definitely work to thicken the berries up a little more if I make it again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-29, 16:01

LooseGoose wrote:Got some nice local berries last night. Freshly picked in the afternoon for $3 a quart so not a bad price.

Son #2's partner loves cobbler type desserts and they're coming over tonight so I kind of went out of the box and made a
Strawberry Cobbler.

Looks good, smells great - will give a taste report later.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 VaDKlA8
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Qm7vCHk
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 BJRb3As
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 Oe0iioW

I would fucking destroy that. Little whipped cream and some whole milk I'd eat half that right before bed and sleep happy.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-06-29, 16:36

Ribs in the smoker today.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-29, 19:31

aualum06 wrote:Ribs in the smoker today.

Post some pics, I went old school easy tonight.  Egg Salad and some BBQ chips.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-06-29, 19:34

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Ribs in the smoker today.

Post some pics, I went old school easy tonight.  Egg Salad and some BBQ chips.

The camera upload is broke on mobile. But they were good.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-06-29, 19:52

Cooked some steaks for the new lady friend and I the other day. Pretty cheap cuts, but I Marinated them overnight in olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, a bit of lemon juice, salt/pepper/garlic powder and they turned out to be pretty tasty
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-02, 09:44

Tim Wakefield wrote:Cooked some steaks for the new lady friend and I the other day. Pretty cheap cuts, but I Marinated them overnight in olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, a bit of lemon juice, salt/pepper/garlic powder and they turned out to be pretty tasty

No pictures of either the steaks nor the lady nets you a D-.

I didn't feel like baking much this weekend but I had some apples in the fridge that needed to be used.  Went back to a style of cake that a one of my friend's moms used to make back in the 60s.  Sorry no pictures but this is a dark, very moist cake.   I remembered liking it from 50 years ago and still do.   Pretty simple to make and my kids liked it a lot yesterday.

Recipe.

In a large bowl
Peel, core and section 4 apples.  
This should probably go in the $50 Amazon thread but I bought a new corer a few months ago and it's a leap forward from the ones that have been around forever.   Only $8.50 - Thin Apple Slicer and Corer

Add 1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar.
Dust with Cinnamon
Using a sharp knife mix the cinnamon and sugar into the apples by dicing them in 1/4"-1/2" pieces.
Set aside.

Melt a stick of butter in the nuke.

In a medium bowl
1 C Flour
1/2 C sugar
2 TBS Baking Powder
Some more cinnamon
Some ginger
Some nutmeg - I just kinda put a teaspoon or so of each of these.
2 Eggs
3 TBS blackstrap molasses if you have it.
Add the now somewhat cooled off butter

Stir that mix into what should be a fairly heavy batter.
Once the lumps are out of it scoop it over the diced apples.
Fold them all together until mixed well.

Scoop into a 9"x 13" cake pan and cook for 35-40 minutes @ 350.

Enjoy - no need for frosting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-03, 15:44

I bought a meat grinder, sausage stuffer and some casings. Went to the store earlier and picked up 2 butts and a chuckie, and some peppers. I'm going to give this thing a go at some point today or tomorrow.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 YARAd9
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-07-03, 16:09

Half-assed a curry pork dish last night. No recipe, no spice measures. 2# of ground pork, can each of diced tomatoes and coconut milk, garlic, onion, and stuff I had in the cupboard. Hot madras curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, dried parsley, and red chili flake. Mixed in some cooked whole wheat elbow macaroni at the end. Turned out quite good.

Stuff has had me peeing sparks out the backdoor all day.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-07-03, 16:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a meat grinder, sausage stuffer and some casings. Went to the store earlier and picked up 2 butts and a chuckie, and some peppers. I'm going to give this thing a go at some point today or tomorrow.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 YARAd9
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 276803595

Where'd you get the casings?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-03, 18:05

The Pantry wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a meat grinder, sausage stuffer and some casings. Went to the store earlier and picked up 2 butts and a chuckie, and some peppers. I'm going to give this thing a go at some point today or tomorrow.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 276803595

Where'd you get the casings?

Back in the day I used to buy a lot of supplies from this place, they were on Gratiot in the Eastern Market then.   I see they've got modern and moved to Madison Heights now.   If you have any kind of question about processing meats these are the guys.

Butcher & Packer Supply Company
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-03, 18:40

I got them off of Amazon.

I'm mostly assembled and have cubed the meat. I put it in the freezer as it's recommended to be very cold before trying to grind it. Now I'm going to chop up some peppers and mix some spices together I guess.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-04, 18:10

This actually looks interesting enough to try.....simple but good???

Marc Normandin ‏Verified account @Marc_Normandin 6m6 minutes ago
More
You can't just grill a regular old hot dog on July 4. You have to slice a jumbo dog open and stuff it with cheese then wrap it in bacon.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 DD7FLjhU0AABh4a
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-07-04, 18:32

LooseGoose wrote:This actually looks interesting enough to try.....simple but good???

More
You can't just grill a regular old hot dog on July 4. You have to slice a jumbo dog open and stuff it with cheese then wrap it in bacon.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 DD7FLjhU0AABh4a

Trump would eat that.

With Ketchup.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-04, 18:50

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:This actually looks interesting enough to try.....simple but good???

More

Trump would eat that.

With Ketchup.

thanks for polluting this thread it's the one skill you possess.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-07-04, 18:55

Should have used bleu cheese to honor France for their role in American independence, and the last time they invented something good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-06, 14:05

Kroger with blueberries @ 4 pints for $5.00 - damned nice price if you're thinking of cooking or canning anything with them.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-07, 09:36

Food Network to show 3 Detroit restaurants in Friday episode

DETROIT -- Three Detroit-area restaurants will be featured on a Food Network show Friday.

The show "Ginormous Food," with host Josh Denny, will explore a few Detroit eateries in an episode dubbed "Motor City to Chow Town" at 8 p.m. Friday, according to Food Network.

Thirdly, Denny will visit Pie-Sci Pizza in Detroit's Woodbridge neighborhood. The restaurant will show off a Detroit-style pizza topped with sausage, pepperoni and two pans of lasagna.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 21:04

Ok I've been lazy and needed to collate some of these pictures but here is the full sausage making experiment report.

Grinding is easy. Stuffing, even with a quality grade stuffer like I bought, is difficult and takes some getting used to. It took me 3 nights of trying before I finally got a recipe/blend I liked and learned to use the stuffer properly, but once it came together, the results were really good.

More details if you want them, or just skip to the pics of the final product.

First night I cubed up a 10 lb butt and ran it through the grinder twice - once with the biggest blade, and then with the small, 3/8" blade. I had read that was a good way to do it to make sure your spices and the fat are evenly distributed.

I did not like it. First, I found that a butt, believe it or not, did not have enough fat content and the final product was a bit dry. Second, using the 3/8" made the meat too fine and the consistency on bite just wasn't right.

Third, I way, waaay under seasoned. I followed a recipe I found online for hotlink, and even added some diced jalapenos, but not only was there little heat, they were just extremely bland. I would estimate I stuffed (poorly) about 8.5 lbs of that 10 lb butt and I actually threw all of the link away after I finally smoked a couple later that night. Just not good at all. And it was exhausting and took me like 4 hours for the entire experiment, figuring it out as I went along, not including the cooking.

The second night, I still had the ground chuck from the chuck roast and about 1.5 lbs of ground pork to stuff, and I got the bright idea to apply the seasoning a bit more liberally, and then fry up small patties in a frying pan to taste before stuffing. Ok, progress. I got some more heat and seasoning on some beef links and some pork links and they were decent. But honestly still not enough - they did not taste like the good shit I've had in Texas - and it further cemented my opinion that they needed more fat.

Upon research people do add extra fat to ground butts or chuck roasts. They often use pork "back fat" which is the discarded shit from when a butcher trims up a shoulder/butt. So I could either go ask a butcher for a bunch of leftovers, trim my own - OR I could go buy uncured bacon and use some of that good pork belly fat. That's what I did.

I had another 7 lb butt, and I ground that up on night three ONCE, using only the 1/4" blade. I then added some water, a beer and a shit fuck ton of seasoning. I did not measure, I just used more than my mind said I should because I had been so short on my previous attempts - black pepper, kosher salt, red pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Then, for good measure, I chopped up a bunch of serranos and 2 orange habaneros and mixed that into the meat. This mixture was much, MUCH better, and did pack some good heat. You can see pics of the mixture below.

Couple that with finally learning how to crank the stuffer at the right speed, and help work the dong meat out of the stuffer in the casings and I wound up with some really nice links and let me tell you they taste fucking great. I smoked two the other night, and grilled indirect for lunch today. They are pretty glorious. I vac-sealed the rest of them and will freeze them.

Night 1 out of the grinder.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35705614575_f7f02d5617

Night 1 trying to use the stuffer. Nice cock man.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35574892351_625a343f27

Night 3 here is the winning mixture.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35579980782_87bb239442

Pretty decent job of casing out of the stuffer.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 34939645153_cf4ee37946

After I twisted and circumcised them.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35708855906_c4e9d57931

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35617970861_11935fa75a

Off the smoker. They good.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35749740575_a5c3326116_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-07, 21:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35617970861_11935fa75a

Off the smoker. They good.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35749740575_a5c3326116_c

Those look really good. Now you need to bag a couple deer or an elk this fall.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 21:22

Honestly I've never been a huge fan of the taste of venison or elk. I like bison.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-07-07, 21:31

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Honestly I've never been a huge fan of the taste of venison or elk. I like bison.

I had moose once. It was pretty good. Never had elk
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-07-07, 21:51

Looks awesome...especially considering it's your first attempt. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 55953254
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-07-07, 21:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Honestly I've never been a huge fan of the taste of venison or elk. I like bison.

The problem is that you can't legally hunt Bison in Michigan. If you want some bulk bison the guy that owns Ben's supermarket in Brown City - Jim Zerowski or something like that - raises buffalo to sell in his store.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 21:58

Here are some of the failed attempts from my first couple of trials. The bottom is the super bland pork sausage, that I threw away nearly 10 lbs of.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35574890371_caa138705b

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35682902936_25696ea1bd

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35667415866_3f7ab257bc

Here is one of the beef sausages - also too lean and not spicy enough.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 5 35335600480_f51f2c1cce

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 22:18

Well sure but I would need to get a hotel room and park my car and trailer there over night.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 22:18

There meaning at the house.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-07, 22:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Well sure but I would need to get a hotel room and park my car and trailer there over night.
Plenty of room in the back yard. I've checked it out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 22:24

And I could get the trailer back there?

Also..."after" a night game? So game ends at midnight, and I start the pit up at 1? I don't think people want to eat brisket at 6 am.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-07-07, 22:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:And I could get the trailer back there?

Also..."after" a night game? So game ends at midnight, and I start the pit up at 1? I don't think people want to eat brisket at 6 am.

Hey dwags is probably drunk so excuse his brain
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-07-07, 22:49

Well good for him.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-07-07, 22:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:And I could get the trailer back there?

After a game. Huge parties. They make fun of me cause I drink more than any of those useless college guys. But yeah, not the ND game. Ima tell them I got a great cook. Don't fuck this up. We'll pick the game. You'll cook, I'll be legend. TIA.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next