The 2017 Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 2017 Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-07, 23:11

I would do it. I enjoy a good adventure with good people, even if they are strangers. But yeah a night game wouldn't work. And let me know so I can book a room at the Marriott.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: The 2017 Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags on 2017-07-07, 23:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I would do it. I enjoy a good adventure with good people, even if they are strangers. But yeah a night game wouldn't work. And let me know so I can book a room at the Marriott.

Done.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-11, 13:42

Had a bunch of extra strawberries yesterday so decided to work on the cobbler recipe and see if I could improve it by cutting the sugar a bit.   Ended up with something that tasted like warm biscuits floating in strawberry jam.   Tasty enough but not really what you want in a cobbler.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-13, 17:09

Posting because we've discussed popcorn machines a few times on here.   Was browsing one of the online auctions I follow and saw this machine on there.   Couldn't remember if it was one of the recommended models or not.   Looked online and the reviews look pretty solid for it - normally seems to be a $550.00 or so machine.   In this particular auction and knowing how things sell there I'll be somewhat surprised if it tops $100 and shocked if it tops $200.    Would be an hour drive or so from Hall & Van Dyke.  The upside is that I could let you know where there are some solid Amish bakers/gardeners in the area to pick up some other goodies.

Gold Medal #2085

Popcorn Machine

Commercial Popcorn machine, tested works, 16" X 18" X 30"(location c3)

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-13, 17:17

We have a machine at school pretty similar. Works pretty well
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-13, 17:18

Don't carry it with the doors against your chest. They break.
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-13, 18:15

If you're registered, and want to bid on it for me you have my permission to go up to $100.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-13, 18:20

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:If you're registered, and want to bid on it for me you have my permission to go up to $100.

OK...I occasionally buy stuff there. I've known the owners since they were kids and my niece lives about 10 miles from there so she picks things up for me.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2017-07-13, 19:58

That popcorn machine is a Gold medal popper which really are tops. That particular model is sold at Sam's Club and currently goes for $469 new (just over $500 with tax and shipping) it is more of their value line. It is a 6oz machine, which is a good size for a home. It quite dirty but should clean up nicely. If it something breaks, replacement parts are pretty easy to get.

I am don't follow auctions like LooseGoose, but I would be surprised if it went for less than $100 and not surprised to see it top $200 (not including buyers premium or sales tax).
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-13, 20:30

MSU addict wrote:That popcorn machine is a Gold medal popper which really are tops. That particular model is sold at Sam's Club and currently goes for $469 new (just over $500 with tax and shipping) it is more of their value line. It is a 6oz machine, which is a good size for a home. It quite dirty but should clean up nicely. If it something breaks, replacement parts are pretty easy to get.

I am don't follow auctions like LooseGoose, but I would be surprised if it went for less than $100 and not surprised to see it top $200 (not including buyers premium or sales tax).

Auctions are quirkier than the people here - ;-) I've seen stuff at that one go really stupidly cheap because it's not a very big auction - 900 items every 2-3 weeks. Comparatively speaking the one in Bay City I linked a few weeks back with the signs in it sells 3500-4000 items every week.

Good to see a solid review though, it would make a good one for WBH then.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-13, 21:48

aualum06 wrote:Don't carry it with the doors against your chest. They break.

By Mark C. on 4/1/2014
Have had this popper for 12 years and it is still going strong. We rent them out constantly and it needs very little maintenance. A broken door is about the only thing we get because a customer doesn't load it properly.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-13, 22:21

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Don't carry it with the doors against your chest. They break.

By Mark C. on 4/1/2014
Have had this popper for 12 years and it is still going strong. We rent them out constantly and it needs very little maintenance. A broken door is about the only thing we get because a customer doesn't load it properly.

We have three at school, two have broken doors because of me :-)
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-13, 22:23

Ok, the popcorn guru hath spoken. Let's go up to $150.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-14, 17:37

Had extra blueberries and still working on my cobbler batter....

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-15, 22:20

For Pantry and anyone else in the area...Sapporo Sushi at Big Beaver and John R is freaking excellent. Please check them out and keep them in business. They may source from Noble, I'm not sure, but their stuff is awesome. I've probably been a dozen times already and they have never disappointed.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-15, 23:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:For Pantry and anyone else in the area...Sapporo Sushi at Big Beaver and John R is freaking excellent. Please check them out and keep them in business. They may source from Noble, I'm not sure, but their stuff is awesome. I've probably been a dozen times already and they have never disappointed.

One of the few things I miss from the city that you just can't get here.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-07-15, 23:20

Sushi is disgusting

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-15, 23:43

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:For Pantry and anyone else in the area...Sapporo Sushi at Big Beaver and John R is freaking excellent. Please check them out and keep them in business. They may source from Noble, I'm not sure, but their stuff is awesome. I've probably been a dozen times already and they have never disappointed.

One of the few things I miss from the city that you just can't get here.

They don't have it at gas stations up there?

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-17, 20:00

I don't often revisit subjects in this thread but I have to mention the blueberry cobbler. When it was fresh on Saturday it was warm, juicy and tasty. I had some leftover that I decided to have tonight. Quite the transformation. After sitting for 48+ hours the cake part had soaked up all the juice and now have a jelly like consistency. And as a bonus it's really, really good. I think I may make any others a couple days ahead to let this happen. Some crappy pics but you can see the jelly like bottom.....

Weird how much of a difference a flash can make....

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-18, 12:28

Was having lunch today and thought of our discussion the other day on legacy recipes.   This is a pretty simple side that my Grandma had on the table all summer long at the farm.  Just peel and slice a couple medium cukes, add some onions then cover them with about an 80/20 Vinegar & water mix.  A snappy, palate cleansing treat.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-18, 12:37

LooseGoose wrote:Was having lunch today and thought of our discussion the other day on legacy recipes.   This is a pretty simple side that my Grandma had on the table all summer long at the farm.  Just peel and slice a couple medium cukes, add some onions then cover them with about an 80/20 Vinegar & water mix.  A snappy, palate cleansing treat.

Are we cousins? My iron river grandma had that and baked two loaves of bread every other or third day. Man we are a shit load of bread.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-18, 18:52

LooseGoose wrote:Was having lunch today and thought of our discussion the other day on legacy recipes.   This is a pretty simple side that my Grandma had on the table all summer long at the farm.  Just peel and slice a couple medium cukes, add some onions then cover them with about an 80/20 Vinegar & water mix.  A snappy, palate cleansing treat.

My mom made that but didn't add the onions, which seems like a great idea.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-18, 18:54

DWags wrote:Are we cousins?  My iron river grandma had that and baked two loaves of bread every other or third day.   Man we are a shit load of bread.
Mom baked bread pretty often.  Was great right out of the oven.  She use to buy Vidalia onions.  Butter on the bread and a thick slice of Vidalia in the middle.  Awesome sandwiches.

Last edited by The Pantry on 2017-07-18, 22:00; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-18, 19:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Ok, the popcorn guru hath spoken. Let's go up to $150.

You needed every bit of it.,....$140 + fees. Will get a bill tonight later, usually 9-10pm.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on 2017-07-18, 20:02

FYI that popcorn machine, we found an older one at work at got it up an running a few months ago.... Took a few batches to get it working right but not bad.
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-18, 21:49

The Pantry wrote:
DWags wrote:Are we cousins? My iron river grandma had that and baked two loaves of bread every other or third day. Man we are a shit load of bread.
Mom baked bread pretty often. Was great right out of the oven. She use to buy Vidalia onions. Butter on the bread and a thick slick of Vidalia in the middle. Awesome sandwiches.

Probably the best smell ever created.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-18, 22:15

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Mom baked bread pretty often. Was great right out of the oven. She use to buy Vidalia onions. Butter on the bread and a thick slick of Vidalia in the middle. Awesome sandwiches.

Probably the best smell ever created.
Yeah.

My memories are a bit conflicted. Mom sometimes made saffron bread. It was very good back then.

In years since have come to dislike saffron in anything. It's too over-powering.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-07-18, 22:20

I've thought about trying bread making, first step I guess would be to steal my mother's bread pans
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose Yesterday at 14:46

Making cobbler today for the weekend requests......a cherry and another blueberry.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum