Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 22:59

LooseGoose wrote:Damn that looks good Wags.

Bought a couple of butts today to do tomorrow. I'll take your Rib over them.....

I was skeptical about the cooking and shutting the oven off. Also a whole cup of butter on the PR as a paste at 500 for 25 minutes. Didn’t over power the PR at all.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-27, 23:06

There is a better way to do this Wags. I'm sure it was glorious. I am not trying to be a know it all or a hater. I used to cook these hot as fuck and my results were similar. Always tasted great but I didn't realize there was a better way.

See how at the top end of your cut you have gray/brown and only at the thick part you have the medium/med rare pink? In a perfect world you want as little of that grey/brown as possible and as much of that pink as possible. There is a serious eats article somewhere about trial and error in a way to achieve this.

The verdict is to cook it low and slow (200-225) until you get to say 110 internal temp. Then blast it at as high temps as possible for 10 minutes or so (until you get to your ideal internal temp - for me it's probably around 120) to get a nice exterior crust.

Give it a shot next time, it really does work.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There is a better way to do this Wags. I'm sure it was glorious. I am not trying to be a know it all or a hater. I used to cook these hot as fuck and my results were similar. Always tasted great but I didn't realize there was a better way.

See how at the top end of your cut you have gray/brown and only at the thick part you have the medium/med rare pink? In a perfect world you want as little of that grey/brown as possible and as much of that pink as possible. There is a serious eats article somewhere about trial and error in a way to achieve this.

The verdict is to cook it low and slow (200-225) until you get to say 110 internal temp. Then blast it at as high temps as possible for 10 minutes or so (until you get to your ideal internal temp - for me it's probably around 120) to get a nice exterior crust.

I will.  Does the paste have an effect on low and slow vs. throw it in at 500? for 5 minutes per pound  They wanted you to really paste it all around. I was worried about that because 7 cloves of garlic scared me.  My wife has a real keen taste for spice and i thought it would over power it.  She liked it. I'm thinking because much was burnt off.  In your method it seems it might soak in more.  Which is no problem, I'd cut back on the garlic and thyme and rosemary
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:13

Also, I got the meat from Nino's.  Thought it was a bit fatty, but I liked it over all.  We're going to try french dip tomorrow for the game with the rest.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:16

Bought a couple of butts today to do tomorrow.  I'll take your Rib over them.....

How you doing the butts?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-27, 23:18

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There is a better way to do this Wags. I'm sure it was glorious. I am not trying to be a know it all or a hater. I used to cook these hot as fuck and my results were similar. Always tasted great but I didn't realize there was a better way.

I will.  Does the paste have an effect on low and slow vs. throw it in at 500? for 5 minutes per pound  They wanted you to really paste it all around. I was worried about that because 7 cloves of garlic scared me.  My wife has a real keen taste for spice and i thought it would over power it.  She liked it. I'm thinking because much was burnt off.  In your method it seems it might soak in more.  Which is no problem, I'd cut back on the garlic and thyme and rosemary

Nah, the paste actually will help give it a better crust. It's not going to soak into the meat much. The same is true of when you do a butt or a brisket or anything, really. The majority of mass in that cut is interior. You're really only affecting the crust/bark.

A pork butt for example - almost impossible to over season. It's definitely possible to over salt a brisket because in certan parts of the flat the exterior:interior ratio is almost even but not really with a butt or a rib roast.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-10-27, 23:23

DWags wrote:

Bought a couple of butts today to do tomorrow.  I'll take your Rib over them.....

How you doing the butts?

I don't know. My SiL is coming down around 9am so we'll have 9-10 hours. Plan is to have them for dinner tomorrow. I'll see what he wants to try or do, he's usually got an idea he wants to try.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:24

I'm going to try that way WBH.  This method I saw on youtube wanted you to just trust your oven vs. the poundage of your meat.  Oven is new so I said, screw it, lets try it,  I've never hit something that hot that short then just turned it off and let sit two hours.  Was worried.  Nino's charged me 57 bucks for that piece of meat.  Wife was good with experimenting.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-27, 23:30

Totally not trying to come off as a snob, there is more than one way to skin a (ho) cat. I have done a bit of experimenting and I definitely back the serious eats method. I think when you're trying to cook a big piece of meat to a medium/med rare/rare temp, you want to maximize that med/med rare/rare-ness on the entire cut and the best way to do it is as described. It's a glorious thing when you can cut into that piece of meat and see the pink extending all the way to the edge of the cut.

Here's one from a couple of years ago where I did the serious eats method. You can see the bottom right probably was a little closer to the fire than the rest. Overall pretty good pinkyness though throughout.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 23867806852_684f5594c4
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-10-27, 23:43

Well done (medium rare) dwags.

Fuck the millennials that can hardly cook to save their lives.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:44

Nice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-27, 23:45

I’ll take any readings from articles you have.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2017-10-27, 23:49

Method X is the jam for primerib.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-28, 00:03

DWags wrote:I’ll take any readings from articles you have.

Here is the article I referenced.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-10-28, 15:04

Felt like Chinese today.  There's a place in Madison Heights that has great food.  Spicy fried squid and spicy fried shrimp.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20171014

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20171013

Chao Zhou Restaurant
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-29, 00:21

Rack of beef ribs today. emmm....yeah. They were good. Gotta take them to 208+ to get all of the fat to render.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 38000190921_271523c501
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 38000186881_a11c8e267f_z
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-10-29, 01:03

Where did you get the beef ribs?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-29, 01:24

Bozek's
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-29, 06:54

Nice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-06, 11:44

While at Kroger loading up on $0.99 butts I noticed they had XLarge shrimp on sale for $5.99#, not the bagged, frozen variety but some mighty nice looking deli specimens.    I bought a pound and am now in heavy regret I didn't get more.   Very, very tasty with just some mushrooms and sesame oil.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 W7P2uVt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-06, 12:40

Are those shell on or just tail on?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-06, 13:04

The Pantry wrote:Are those shell on or just tail on?

Shell on but de-veined, used Pepper shrimp as my inspiration for how I cooked them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-11, 15:22

Since I was less than interested in watching the slaughter today I decided to try something new. Made 3 custard pies with wild blackberries in them.....will be out of the oven at 4pm.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-11, 15:25

I really need somebody to post pics of good meals today. Tia
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-11, 15:55

DWags wrote:I really need somebody to post pics of good meals today. Tia
Feeling unmotivated so ordered a Jets Super Special little while ago. Might post a pic after it gets delivered.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-11, 16:38

Light sauce, light bake, garlic crust, extra cheese.  Delicious with a little red chili flake

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20171113
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-13, 18:29

Blackberry Custard pie update....The pie was ok on Saturday - today it's amazing.   One of those foods that is better after the flavors have time to mesh.   I gave 2 of the 3 I made away and got rave reviews on those today so I had some tonight and can confirm they're much better today. I think the only change I'd make would be to crush the berries a bit so the juice spread out a bit more in the custard.

Only took 1 picture.....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 9IlKbDt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-13, 20:00

Nice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-13, 20:04

My turn to cook tonight. I did Italian wedding soup.

Hardest part was just rolling the meatballs. They look bigger than they were. Less than 3/4 inch. Lean ground beef. Two eggs bread crumbs minced onions basil. Mix.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 24l7iwy

Just boil broth add meatballs mini shell noodles spinach carrots if you like. Bri g back to boil. Let sit. Eat.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 27xldz5

Add some parm.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 2qtwacnThe Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 2qtwacn
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-13, 20:46

Looks like good soup. I love meat balls but I don't think I've ever made them. I guess I should try that some time. How much burger is in that batch Wags?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2017-11-13, 20:48

Spoonful of buffalo sauce and some shredded chicken mixed in with mac and cheese = The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 361471007
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-11-13, 20:50

Just a lb in the batch.  I froze the rest.   I'll do something with them later.  I just haven't thought about it.   They're easy but monotonous to make.   eggs, bread crumbs then minced onions for the dwags family.  Spice like you like them.  Use lean beef or a mix.  Venison and beef, or Italian sausage and beef.  Do it to your taste.  It's not an exotic meat.   Soup was o.k. we've had better.  It just felt like a soup night.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-13, 22:50

DWags wrote:My turn to cook tonight. I did Italian wedding soup.

Hardest part was just rolling the meatballs. They look bigger than they were. Less than 3/4 inch. Lean ground beef. Two eggs bread crumbs minced onions basil. Mix.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 24l7iwy

Just boil broth add meatballs mini shell noodles spinach carrots if you like. Bri g back to boil. Let sit. Eat.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 27xldz5

Add some parm.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 2qtwacnThe Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 2qtwacn
Looks damn good. Haven't made soup in a while. Might be time to make a big batch of chicken stock again.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-13, 22:50

2x
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-15, 18:31

Some interesting finishers here....

These are the 10 best Italian restaurants in Michigan
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-15, 18:45

LooseGoose wrote:Some interesting finishers here....

Looks like I'm going to have to walk over to Da Francesco's one these days.

They just moved from across the street to a new building about four times bigger and the lot is always overflowing.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-15, 20:37

Floyd Robertson wrote:

They just moved from across the street to a new building about four times bigger and the lot is always overflowing.

Go next Weds and get the free cannoli. Send it to me. Thanks!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-11-15, 20:40

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Go next Weds and get the free cannoli.  Send it to me.  Thanks!

lol I'll see if I can pack it in styrofoam like a lobster.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-11-15, 21:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Please, let us know how it is. Not Italian but sort of, via reverse osmosis.

Ex was 1st gen Italian-American and her parents owned a few successful restaurants in the Detroit area. Never more than one at a time to maintain quality/control...just kept moving north with each new one. Started with one at Telegraph & I-96. Sold it and built a new place on JohnR slightly south of 15 Mile/Maple shortly after Oakland Mall opened...Italian Den. Made a lot of cash there over the years. Sold it and built a new place on Hall Rd/M-59...The Trattoria, hoping to strike again after Lakeside Mall opened.

They did okay there but the Sterling Heights/Utica location was nowhere as good as the growing Troy location had been. The west side of M-53 location proved too far from Lakeside to be valuable for a restaurant. But OTB FIL with his 8th grade Italian education and great cooking skills was pretty clever. Sold the place to a guy on a land contract who renamed it "The Getaway" or something like that.

Guy defaulted a couple years later so FIL got the place back. Over years in the restaurant business he grew/knew to take care of the right people, especially judges. Got inside info. Built "The Trattoria" as close to Hall Road as possible, already knowing the property would be bought by the State to turn M-59 into a boulevard east of Mound Road. The property is now grass in the median of the east and westbound lanes.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-11-22, 18:29

Spent the day watching grandkids, getting the house ready for dinner tomorrow and baking some pies. Blackberry (the picture sucks, all the berries are black as night), Blueberry and a chocolate cream from scratch. I used some special dark chocolate for the Chocolate cream and it's mighty tasty.....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 0Ri9AjT

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 HZzu7OA

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 O3chpWB

Got everything else ready for "go time" tomorrow morning.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 25  Next