Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:55 pm

It's the pan, man.

Also it looks huge in that pic. That is only a 4 square. I do have the same pan in the 8 square version.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:there's not enough Prevacid on the planet that would allow me to eat that.
Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing.. but I'd be eating Tums for a week.

So you're a dyspeptic old fart.

I was quite impressed at the obvious crunchy crust that WBH achieved with minimal burning.
I've learned to narrow down on certain food-stuffs if I wish to sleep through the night.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

So you're a dyspeptic old fart.

I was quite impressed at the obvious crunchy crust that WBH achieved with minimal burning.
I've learned to narrow down on certain food-stuffs if I wish to sleep through the night.

I'll admit that I have a few I avoid too.

I think a sign of weakness surfaced at Burger King on Monday. Probably my 1st time eating there in a year so I tried a Spicy Chicken sandwich. Either I'm getting old and weak or that thing really was spicy. Recalling other fast food I fear the former.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I've learned to narrow down on certain food-stuffs if I wish to sleep through the night.

I'll admit that I have a few I avoid too.

I think a sign of weakness surfaced at Burger King on Monday. Probably my 1st time eating there in a year so I tried a Spicy Chicken sandwich. Either I'm getting old and weak or that thing really was spicy. Recalling other fast food I fear the former.
with me it's red wine (which I rarely drink).. some pizza/certain pizza sauce seems to be worse than others.. too much coffee on an empty stomach can be like drinking kerosene, too.

if I'm hittin' up El Azteco or something, I'll preemptively take a slow release Prilosec or Zantac or something like that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
if I'm hittin' up El Azteco or something, I'll preemptively take a slow release Prilosec or Zantac or something like that.

So it's likely you were doped up when you thought you saw Wags in El Azteco?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:50 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

So it's likely you were doped up when you thought you saw Wags in El Azteco?
doped up on Prilosec?

Yep.. I was wasted on Prilosec.. fending off gastroesophageal reflux disease like an absolute crazy person.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Hey, WBH

Ever get que from the Woodpile in Clawson on Main St? Been told it's very good, especially the brisket. Looked up the location. Think it's where the old A&W was.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Well, let the debate begin.   4 grand for this machine.  Smoke a butt in one hour and 15 minutes
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Might be interesting for you locals....

Local entrepreneurs offer product sampling event at Kroger in Royal Oak

The Kroger store at 2200 E. 12 Mile Road in Royal Oak will be celebrating Michigan-made products Saturday with its Experience Local event.

Between 11 a.m.-2 p.m., more than 45 companies will have a display in the store, showcasing their food products and offering free samples.

Tasting samples will include sauces, dairy products, pickles, popcorn, potato chips and hot sauces. Local companies at the event will include Big Dipper Dough, Dearborn Sausage Co., Downey’s Potato Chips, Marcia’s Munchies, Scotty O’Hotty and Zingerman's.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I think that was Barzini, the man behind it all along - he wasn't a pimp like Tattaglia...

Never even heard of that fish, but wild caught fish at $5.99 sounds damned reasonable.

$10 a # at the joint that had this blurb:

If it really compares to Red Snapper then it's a bargain.

Oh, Bar-zini. That's a little different.

Your point about Red Snapper is well taken. Maybe I'll pick up some bron-zini on this weekend when I'm there and test it out.
Watching The Kitchen and iron chef Geoffrey Zakarian made a very simple grilled branzino dish that looked awesome. Episode called "Summer Plate-List"
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:24 am

Ok - I'm doing blueberry pies tomorrow. Anyone else going to be in range to get one? When the hell is your trip up here Goodbar?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am

I'll be passing up through 75 on Wednesday, which I guess technically is tomorrow.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:48 am

Senior Dickfist wrote:I'll be passing up through 75 on Wednesday, which I guess technically is tomorrow.

Well I'm making them in the AM so they're ready to send with son #2 tomorrow evening.  He's coming over to help with a little project after work tomorrow.  Plan to jump off 75 at Grayling and I'll drop you the rest of the pickup info in a private message here.

If it's near lunch you can get a world famous Spike burger.  

Michigan's Best Burger: Spike's in Grayling serves nice burgers in laid back setting
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm

In the oven now Mr.Fist

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2412
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2411The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2410
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2413
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Looks great Goose. My sister and mom just drove by your place Sunday night. Had it been two days later, I'd have told them to stop by and you could have got a look at the truck. And I could have got a pie.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:07 pm

DWags wrote:Looks great Goose. My sister and mom just drove by your place Sunday night. Had it been two days later, I'd have told them to stop by and you could have got a look at the truck. And I could have got a pie.

Hell tell me whenever someone goes through - my son lives right where 27 & 75 merge so I can leave something with him anytime.

Out of the oven now. I switched back to lard for the crusts, just wasn't getting the texture I wanted with butter. We'll see how these taste.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2414

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2415

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am

Bought redemption from the very last Popeyes lunch disappointment.   The always killer pastrami & Swiss from House of Reuben

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 20180810
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:34 am

LooseGoose wrote:In the oven now Mr.Fist

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2412
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2411The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2410
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Img_2413

I'm super excited about a famous Goose pie!
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:54 am

Senior Dickfist wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:In the oven now Mr.Fist
I'm super excited about a famous Goose pie!

I wouldn't get too worked up, they're not a WBH butt.

Keep your hand on the tiller and your eyes on the horizon and enjoy your boat trip.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:07 am

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR = 42 bpm
BP = 118/72 mmHg

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Just went out and picked a few quarts of wild blackberries......the woods are loaded with them right now.  

The big question:  Pie or cobbler?

PS - hotter than the hubs of hell out there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Just went out and picked a few quarts of wild blackberries......the woods are loaded with them right now.  

The big question:  Pie or cobbler?

PS - hotter than the hubs of hell out there.

I believe the only answer is both so go pick more
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Had thought about trying Indian food a long time ago but didn't.  Wanted something different for dinner so ordered takeout from a new-ish nearby place called Desi Tadka.  Ordered:

Tandoori Gobi (cauliflower florets in spices)
Coconut Chilli Prawns
Lamb Curry
Garlic Naan

Chick taking my phone order asked how hot I wanted everything.  Said I'd never had Indian food before so wasn't sure.  Told her I usually order Thai food extra spicy.  She suggested mild for my order.

Went to pick it up.  Chick had a couple extra pounds on her but was beautiful with a nice rack.  Very pleasant with a great smile.  Told me to enjoy my dinner and I replied that I was really curious about the heat level.  She assured me it would be fine.

Have only tried the cauliflower and prawns so far.  Both very good.  Got halfway through them and decided to take a break and finish them later.  Will take the curry and naan for lunch tomorrow.  She was right about the heat level.  Forehead started sweating even though it was just "mild".  

The cauliflower

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 20180811
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:35 pm

The Pantry wrote:Had thought about trying Indian food a long time ago but didn't.  Wanted something different for dinner so ordered takeout from a new-ish nearby place called Desi Tadka.  Ordered:

Tandoori Gobi (cauliflower florets in spices)
Coconut Chilli Prawns
Lamb Curry
Garlic Naan

Chick taking my phone order asked how hot I wanted everything.  Said I'd never had Indian food before so wasn't sure.  Told her I usually order Thai food extra spicy.  She suggested mild for my order.

Went to pick it up.  Chick had a couple extra pounds on her but was beautiful with a nice rack.  Very pleasant with a great smile.  Told me to enjoy my dinner and I replied that I was really curious about the heat level.  She assured me it would be fine.

Have only tried the cauliflower and prawns so far.  Both very good.  Got halfway through them and decided to take a break and finish them later.  Will take the curry and naan for lunch tomorrow.  She was right about the heat level.  Forehead started sweating even though it was just "mild".  

The cauliflower

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 20180811

I used to get Indian occasionally from a place on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn.  I can't even remember the name, I know it was across from or near a car dealer on the north side of the road.  You're right though that stuff could light you up.

If you go back see if they make Chicken Tikka Masala.....I used to like that, very garlicky flavor.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 pm

LooseGoose wrote:I used to get Indian occasionally from a place on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn.  I can't even remember the name, I know it was across from or near a car dealer on the north side of the road.  You're right though that stuff could light you up.

If you go back see if they make Chicken Tikka Masala.....I used to like that, very garlicky flavor.
They offer chicken tikka masala.  Will give it a try next time I'm in the mood for chicken.  After Popeyes a couple days ago might not be for a few weeks.

What is left of the prawns.  Surprisingly spicy.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 20180812
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm

The Pantry wrote:They offer chicken tikka masala.  Will give it a try next time I'm in the mood for chicken.  After Popeyes a couple days ago might not be for a few weeks.

You'll laugh, but for a $1.88 you can pick up one of these from Meijer and try it. Surprisingly not bad.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 11665_Nimg

If you like it, then you'll know you'll like the real deal from the restaurant.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:They offer chicken tikka masala.  Will give it a try next time I'm in the mood for chicken.  After Popeyes a couple days ago might not be for a few weeks.

You'll laugh, but for a $1.88 you can pick up one of these from Meijer and try it. Surprisingly not bad.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 11665_Nimg

If you like it, then you'll know you'll like the real deal from the restaurant.

Hmmm...I didn't know that existed. Thanks!

I'll have to have my daughter get me one. I've not been in a Wally or a Meijer or any big box store for that matter in 5+ years or more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Looked up a few Indian restaurants in the area today. They all open at 5pm.

Don't they eat lunch?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm

The Pantry wrote:Looked up a few Indian restaurants in the area today. They all open at 5pm.

Don't they eat lunch?

lol, the food is probably too hot to go back to work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Had the naan and curry lamb today. Were good but not as good as the cauliflower and prawns last night.

Glad I ordered everything mild. An anal fissure I'd forgotten about re-appeared today but wasn't that bad.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 pm

The Pantry wrote:Had the naan and curry lamb today. Were good but not as good as the cauliflower and prawns last night.

Glad I ordered everything mild. An anal fissure I'd forgotten about re-appeared today but wasn't that bad.

lol, that sounds bad though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Had the naan and curry lamb today.  Were good but not as good as the cauliflower and prawns last night.

Glad I ordered everything mild.  An anal fissure I'd forgotten about re-appeared today but wasn't that bad.  

lol, that sounds bad though.

I don't worry about much anymore. '

Karaoke time: ♫ Blood, in the water....♫ The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 502811600

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Been hitting a small Italian restaurant that opened not far from work occasionally for lunch.  The food is pretty good and reasonably priced.  Carryout is usually 15 minutes.  Decent pizza.  Like the chicken piccata with garlic redskin mashed potatoes and broccoli.  Fettucini alfredo with shrimp is good.  

Tried the manicotti today.  Was good but a bit too rich.  So much food I had it for lunch and dinner.  Ordered a side of broccoli with it.  Their broccoli is awesome...maybe the best I've had at any restaurant or made myself.  Perfectly steamed, retaining a slight crunch and vibrant green color, with a nice hit of garlic.  

Giuliano's Italian Kitchen
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Had a couple crusts left over from making the blueberry pies....so today I made a
strawberry:
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Strawb10

...and a pecan.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 20 Pecan10

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Homemade salsa recipes?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:46 pm

aualum06 wrote:Homemade salsa recipes?

WBH had one on here a year or two ago with some grilling done first. It was excellent, my daughter and I made some and enjoyed the hell out of it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:39 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Homemade salsa recipes?

WBH had one on here a year or two ago with some grilling done first. It was excellent, my daughter and I made some and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Followed it. Was very good.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:07 am

Here it is: https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t12154-salsa-recipes

Listen, I know everyone doesn't have the same interests as I do. Or whatever. I like to cook, I like to experiment. I'm homeward bound which I don't mind even a little bit at this stage of my life, so I like to mess around a lot. ///Disclaimer

I absolutely love this Primo ceramic grill that I got for no good reason. I know I can smoke on it but I haven't yet tried. I love grilling on it. I like making pizzas on it (need the deflector plate thingy). It gets hot as shit in no time. I can get it to 800 degrees in < 10 minutes, Lighting it and getting it up to temp and cleaning it is a breeze. It's a lot of fun. Very happy I added it to the collection.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:12 pm

There's a chick on a BBQ forum I follow that puts out some amazing looking food.  She has a blog and takes many pics of her dishes with step-by-step instructions.  Lives in Oklahoma and does a lot of hunting and fishing.  Has a number of cooking rigs.  

This is one of her recent creations  Smoked Blackstone Salmon
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Checked out a new restaurant on Rochester Rd called Village Cafe. Located in a strip center unit that has been a few different restaurants over the years including a place that specialized in soups. Most recently was a Dickey's BBQ that went OOB.

Interesting hours. Only open 7:30am to 2:30pm for breakfast and lunch.

Ordered carryout...Mexican Breakfast Bowl. Went to pick up. Not the greatest ambiance (had wagon wheel lights on the ceiling I think were leftover from Dickeys) but looked clean. Seemed to me they hadn't quite decided how to decorate the place before opening.

Maybe a dozen tables. Far more customers in the place than I'd ever seen in that unit before. Service was great even though I was only getting carryout. Very polite. Offered me a free coffee while waiting just a couple minutes before getting my order.

Food was very good. Will be going back to try their eggs benedict and crab benedict.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next