Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

+29
Senior Dickfist
Tim Wakefield
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
I.B. Fine
Da Mayor
Floyd Robertson
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
Rocinante
keanro
Turtleneck
SeeRockCity
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
NigelUno
Nordic
The_Dude
GRR Spartan
Triple Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
CORNER BLITZ
CheesySpartan
MSU addict
MattyFresh
tGreenWay
Death Roe
33 posters

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-11-07, 22:02

I have been there a couple of times. I don't think I was particularly fond of the menu. What's good there? I think I remember the pizza not being very great.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 4113017228 Next time take them to Sapporo....
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry 2018-11-07, 22:27

They have a fairly wide variety. Most of their food is pretty good. Wings are great. Haven't had the pizza in a while but remember it being decent bar pizza. Mentioned Sapporo to them but they weren't interested.

Kool's is under new ownership as of a year or 3 ago. From what my kids tell me the same group bought the Gathering Place this past year. It will probably be undergoing a remodel.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-11-07, 23:03

Guy came to our table to chat with my kids...turns out he's one of Kool's new owners. Came to the US from Iraq when he was 10. Seemed like a good dude. My kids like him.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-11-09, 15:08

Green Bean casserole?   It's not that hard people.....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Si_tha11
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-11-21, 15:24

Would you serve this for Thanksgiving? The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 1401550746

[tw]1065338812262428672[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-11-21, 16:11

Floyd Robertson wrote:Would you serve this for Thanksgiving? The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 1401550746

[tw]1065338812262428672[/tw]

The fuck is wrong with people? Maybe the guy who came up with this needs to print a 3D gun and shoot himself in his one dimensional head.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-11-21, 17:38

Displaying my normal mad photography skillz.....

The pies...
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_2610
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_2612
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_2611
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-02, 18:56

As an observant reader of this thread might have noticed I end up cooking many custard pies.   That's because my younger sister and I both count custard as one of our favorites.  It was a pie my beloved grandmother used to make and as usual she left no recipe just memories.

I've tried many recipes but had never quite gotten the right texture/flavor that I wanted until the Thanksgiving batch.   Tried the same ratio today and again, very good results.  So just in case any of you have a burning desire to make some mighty fine custard I'm going to provide the recipe to deliciousness here:

Turn your oven to 350 degrees

Crack 10 large eggs into a bowl.
Add 2 cups whole milk.
Add 1 pint heavy whipping cream.
Add 2 tablespoons vanilla.

Get a large whisk and start whisking.   I usually break the egg yolks and carry on from there, it seems to speed the process.  When things look to be well mixed:

Add 1 cup sugar

Whisk some more - make sure everything is well mixed, nearly whipped.  It's very important for the ending texture.

This recipe will fill a 9" x 13" glass baking pan.  It can be split into smaller pans but the cooking time would need to be adjusted down.

Place a 10" x 15" glass pan on a middle shelf in your oven, set your 9"x 13" pan inside it.  Pour your custard mix into the 9x13 pan.   Sprinkle the top with your choice of cinnamon or nutmeg.   Pour a cup or two of water into the 10x15 pan so that it extends at least 1/2 way up the smaller pan.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour - until a butter knife inserted into the middle of the pan comes out clean.

Let it cool on the counter and then refrigerate for at least a few hours, a day or two is better.

Enjoy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-05, 14:05

Co-worker told me about a bar he and his wife frequent because of the great food. Had never been there before so ordered carryout from Steelhouse Tavern for lunch today. Very good cedar planked salmon.

Really nice bar just a couple miles away. Will have to try their pizza one of these days.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-12-05, 14:13

The Pantry wrote:Co-worker told me about a bar he and his wife frequent because of the great food. Had never been there before so ordered carryout from Steelhouse Tavern for lunch today. Very good cedar planked salmon.

Really nice bar just a couple miles away. Will have to try their pizza one of these days.

Cedar planked pizza anyone?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-05, 14:55

Jake from State Farm wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Co-worker told me about a bar he and his wife frequent because of the great food. Had never been there before so ordered carryout from Steelhouse Tavern for lunch today. Very good cedar planked salmon.

Cedar planked pizza anyone?
That actually sounds great. Recipe/cooking technique?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-10, 20:23

Addict's mention of the shank ham for $0.77# prompts this post. I've been on kind of a bone in ham kick this year. They're on sale fairly often for $0.99 or so and imo they're much more flavorful than the boneless or the spiral sliced hams.

I buy them, strip the skin and most of the fat off. Then bone them like you would an elk hock,but leave lots of meat on the bone. On an 8# or so ham you end up with 3-4 pounds of moist and tasty ham for sandwiches, omelettes, etc.

Then get a bag of beans, an onion and boil the hell out of that bone as you make a nice pot of bean soup. When it's just me here I end up with 10-12 meals out of a $8 ham.

Actually just finished a pot of soup today, but have another ham in the fridge for next week. I'll take some pictures then. Pork overall is insanely cheap right now, sooner or
later that's going to change so enjoy it while you can.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-10, 20:42

Bean soup is good. Very fond of split pea made with ham and/or ham hocks.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-10, 20:44

I have been wanting a fresh ham to smoke for years. Not sure where to find one. I've asked butchers at some of the specialty grocers and no dice.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-12-10, 20:49

We ordered Chinese on Friday and it came with a ridiculous amount of white rice. Forgot about it until tonight .. cooked up some chicken and veggies in sesame oil and just dumped the rice into the pan with some butter and then some teriyaki sauce to finish it off. The rice got kinda toasted and made for a hell of a meal.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-10, 20:57

Tim Wakefield wrote:We ordered Chinese on Friday and it came with a ridiculous amount of white rice. Forgot about it until tonight .. cooked up some chicken and veggies in sesame oil and just dumped the rice into the pan with some butter and then some teriyaki sauce to finish it off. The rice got kinda toasted and made for a hell of a meal.

Next time you're in a store grab a bottle of this and change it up with the sesame for a different flavor.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 82bab410
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-10, 20:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have been wanting a fresh ham to smoke for years. Not sure where to find one. I've asked butchers at some of the specialty grocers and no dice.

Call these guys.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-10, 21:06

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have been wanting a fresh ham to smoke for years. Not sure where to find one. I've asked butchers at some of the specialty grocers and no dice.

Call a farm, there are lots of farms in MI that offer meat (USDA inspected)...there was one up on Van Dyke by Imlay City or Almont. Brower farms?

Yep. http://www.browerfarms.com/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-10, 22:24

LooseGoose wrote:

Call a farm, there are lots of farms in MI that offer meat (USDA inspected)...there was one up on Van Dyke by Imlay City or Almont. Brower farms?

Yep. http://www.browerfarms.com/
There's also Country Smoke House in Almont. Steve can hook you up with unprocessed ham.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-12-11, 08:32

With all the smoking you do, you have never bought a whole or half hog?  A number of farms near me sell them.  You have ham options if you get it processed including whether you want the ham cured. I believe most smoked hams are also cured.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-12-11, 08:49

my wife roasted a couple of herb chicken breasts last night.. topped them off with a cranberry goat cheese. I prepared one of my signature dishes - a flash-fried red-skinned potatoes with cracked black pepper and sauteed sweet onions.

seemed like this would be the thread to promote the epicurean goings-on in the Sakimano kitchen.  The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-11, 08:50

I've talked about it with friends for a party/tailgate etc but never actually pulled the trigger. I'm sure I could fit a 90+ lb hog in my offset but rarely do I cook for more than a handful of people these days.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-14, 07:48

WBH I’ve used your recipe for salsa twice now. Where you grill the veggies. Thoughts on smoking them for a Smokey salsa? Anyone ever tried it for a change up?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-14, 09:15

I haven't but I'm sure it would be tasty.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-14, 09:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I haven't but I'm sure it would be tasty.

Now would be the time to talk royalties with Wags.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-12-23, 22:57

I know this is a cooking thread but seems we also dabble in restaurant reviews. Our friend is in town staying with us and we went to Gran Castor tonight. Plug that into google translate. Weird mix of foods, and funny to be in the old Hooters footprint but it was a cool atmosphere, good drinks, good food. The boy wanted pizza so I split it with him and only got a slice but it was really good. They have the Union Mac n' Cheese, which from my understanding is basically best in class. And they have solid Mexican, as well. Good place. Kid friendly (enough). It's firmly in the rotation.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-24, 00:00

Haven't been in that place since it was the Wagon Wheel. Will have to check it out.

Big fan of mac-n-cheese but never tried Union. Joe Kool's is the best I've had around here.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-24, 10:42

Did sour cream Christmas cookies and raisin/date filled cookies on Saturday. I'll post a couple pics later.

Getting ready for some new ones this afternoon. I got 24 lemons cheap a week or so ago so am again going to tackle a lemon pie with the meringue and all. We'll see how that goes.

Next on the docket is one that I think someone mentioned here - a cinnamon pie. Never tried it before so that'll be interesting.

And last, just in case I screw both of those up going to do a couple of pumpkin pies. Then my limited holiday baking will be done.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-24, 12:30

This year's version has to cool just took it off the heat

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_2023
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-12-24, 13:05

Brother is smoking beefs ribs today.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-24, 13:57

aualum06 wrote:This year's version has to cool just took it off the heat

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_2023

Wow! Nice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-12-24, 13:59

About to Method X another prime rib.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-24, 17:51

WBH? Just got this today - if you've got freezer space you'd have a treasure of meat to work with.

"All natural raised pork cut to your specifications and vacuum sealed. Buy by whole or half, going to Ebels on Jan 16 for processing. 100 deposit required to reserve yours, balance after hanging weights. $2.25 lb hanging weight plus processing. Lewis Farms of Elmira 989-619-3649"

$2.25 hanging weight is a fair price.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-24, 17:56

DWags wrote:
aualum06 wrote:This year's version has to cool just took it off the heat

Wow! Nice.

Amazingly good with the dark chocolate
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-24, 18:07

aualum06 wrote:
DWags wrote:

Wow! Nice.

Are you bagging and mailing samples for everyone??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-12-24, 20:47

pulling69 wrote:About to Method X another prime rib.

So damn good, every damn time:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3710

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3712

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3711
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-12-24, 21:02

LooseGoose wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Are you bagging and mailing samples for everyone??

Send prepaid return envelopes to mio
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-12-24, 21:04

Well done. Way back in this thread I did this. I love method x. Looks great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-12-24, 21:51

pulling69 wrote:

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3710

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3712

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 22 Img_3711
Very, very nice. Never tried Method X.

As good as that looks, I'd like some smoke flavor. Can't do MX predictably in a smoker. Might have to experiment with some ideas.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-12-24, 22:15

pulling69 wrote:

Yeah - that looks extremely tasty.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next