tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) thread

Post by SawGreen on 2018-07-12, 21:33

tGreenWay wrote:I think it’s a black eye on the American education system that an entire generation of children are being allowed to grow up believing bears are hand-crafted by humans. For shame.

Huh?
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2018-07-12, 21:34

SawGreen wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:I think it’s a black eye on the American education system that an entire generation of children are being allowed to grow up believing bears are hand-crafted by humans. For shame.

Huh?

Forget it, he's on a roll.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-08-07, 17:24

Thioacetone has an intensely foul odor. Like many low molecular weight organosulfur compounds, the smell is potent and can be detected even when highly diluted.[6] In 1889, an attempt to distill the chemical in the German city of Freiburg was followed by cases of vomiting, nausea and unconsciousness in an area with a radius of 0.75 kilometres (0.47 mi) around the laboratory due to the smell.[7] British chemists at the Whitehall Soap Works in Leeds noted in an 1890 report that dilution seemed to make the smell worse and described the smell as "fearful"

Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2018-08-07, 18:39

^ odours?

They stink at spelling.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-08-08, 02:18

^
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-08-16, 12:20

If you're bored and need to kill some time there are some interesting pictures here:

20+ Things That Are Surprisingly Bigger Than You Probably Thought

#8 Eagle Talon Vs. Human Hand
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-08-25, 09:04

On 8/25/1939 - The Wizard of Oz opened in theaters nationwide.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2018-09-03, 21:25

Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years. Did IT work years ago. Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data. Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked. Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it. Took the hard drive out. My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits. Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand. They sorta looked like plastic. Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them. Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking. Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage. Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-09-03, 21:55

The Pantry wrote:Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years. Did IT work years ago. Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data. Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked. Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it. Took the hard drive out. My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits. Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand. They sorta looked like plastic. Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them. Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking. Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage. Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.

What are they made of?
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2018-09-03, 22:13

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Been dinking with non-keypunch computing/computers about 30 years.  Did IT work years ago.  Built maybe 40 desktops spec'd for CAD work and 10 others for friends from components.

Have seen dis-assembled hard drives before...the actual disks containing the data.  Never really thought about what they are made of until today.

My 4 year old home Dell laptop died last December. Was able to copy all the pertinent stuff before it officially croaked.  Came across it today while doing some house cleaning and decided was time to pitch it.  Took the hard drive out.  My trusty toolbox has a set of very small Torx's bits.  Was able to take the entire drive apart with the T3.

Two small disks in my hand.  They sorta looked like plastic.  Gripped them with two sets of channel locks and attempted bending to destroy them.  Immediately exploded into what seemed like shrapnel.  

Wasn't wearing safety glass, thinking they'd bend before breaking.  Piece of one disc hit me on the cheek just below the right eye...no damage.  Surveying afterward some pieces of those disks were 10 feet from the trash basket I broke them over...very easy to spot because they're like mirrors.

What are they made of?
From what I looked up, most desktop drive disks are made of aluminum substrate.  Laptop drive disks are made of glass substrate.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-09-07, 01:33

In the California wild there are certain redwood trees which cannot produce chlorophyll and have white needles instead of green. They are known as albino redwoods, and there are approximately 400 known to exist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino_redwood
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-11-08, 13:22

Yesterday I learned new respect for raw pineapple.

Freddie's had them on sale 2/$1 and I like one cut up for a meal now and then. After I ate one for lunch my mouth was burning like hell. Consulting the interwebs I found out why - I'd not been as diligent as usual about trimming the core out and paid the price:

"There's a scientific reason why fresh pineapple burns your tongue, and no, the answer is not (always) allergies. Many people feel a tingling, sometimes-burning sensation when they bite into fresh pineapple, and lots of them—incorrectly—chalk up the feeling to the fruit's acid content. The real reason why your mouth burns when you eat pineapple is because of the presence of "active protein-digesting enzymes that are used in meat tenderizers, but can cause problems in other prepared dishes," and your own mouth, writes Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. That's why some people wonder if pineapple is a flesh-eating fruit."

TL:DR - the core of a pineapple contains a meat tenderizer.

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-11-13, 09:31

Posted as a public service for the youngsters here to learn something:

PS - I find the gloved hand on the shifter kinda sexy.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum