Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Sunglasses For the $$

+23
Phil McCrackin
Jean Valjean
SpartanGuard
tTito
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Izzo Court
Stoops21
MSUisbetterthanu
green night
Kramerica
Turtleneck
NigelUno
tanfan!
DroppedByADime
BtothejizA
tGreenWay
The Pantry
Sponge Worthy
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
Punisher98
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best Sunglasses For the $$ Empty Best Sunglasses For the $$

Post by Punisher98 Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 17:38

In the market for a new pair. I've had a nice pair of Spys for like four years but they're on their last legs.

I like the Rayban Aviators ($150). Oakleys are ok.....seem like they've kinda gotten a little goofy in recent years. Any good values out there that I'm missing?
Punisher98
Punisher98
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Best Sunglasses For the $$ Empty Re: Best Sunglasses For the $$

Post by Rocinante Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 17:40

Every time I buy a pair of sunglasses for over 20 bucks, or a watch for over 50, it is 100% guaranteed that I will either a). lose them, or 2). scratch them all to hell.

Sunglasses: The only thing I buy at Walmart.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 17:46

Seriously, go with some cheap ones that look decent at a local store. I've learned not to pay a lot for sunglasses. You'll probably end up regretting it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:01

Oakleys and Rayban and a high percent of the high end sun glasses are all owned by the same parent company.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:04

I get prescription ones at Costco and have been extremely happy for the last several years..and they magically break right about at the one-year mark before the warrantee expires.. Wink 
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:15

Carrera's are nice.  Bought a pair about 30 years ago...lost them 6 months later.

Carrera

Bought a pair of Raybans about 15 years ago.  They went through a couple repairs at the local eyeglass store, including after being severely mangled in a pullout bed in my old pop-up trailer.  Still have them.

Last edited by The Pantry on Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:25; edited 1 time in total
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:18

steveschneider wrote:Oakleys and Rayban and a high percent of the high end sun glasses are all owned by the same parent company.

Thank-you, Cliff Claven. Best Sunglasses For the $$ 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:19

Punisher98 wrote:In the market for a new pair. I've had a nice pair of Spys for like four years but they're on their last legs.

I like the Rayban Aviators ($150). Oakleys are ok.....seem like they've kinda gotten a little goofy in recent years. Any good values out there that I'm missing?

I buy my Ray-Bans direct from their website and I'm pretty sure Aviators are less than $150, though it's been a year since I was last on the site.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by BtothejizA Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:22

Had Oakley's in HS for baseball. Just get cheap prescription ones online now that I only wear them while driving.
BtothejizA
BtothejizA
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:29

Maui Jim's. Costco. Retail around $230. You can find a pair there for $90-100.

Great lenses for the $.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:33

[quote="Rocinante"]Every time I buy a pair of sunglasses for over 20 bucks, or a watch for over 50, it is 100% guaranteed that I will either a). lose them, or 2). scratch them all to hell

Lol. Yeah, I agree. Same shit. I could drop a pair of $15 glasses overboard at sea and a diver would return them. Spend a couple hundred and they're scratched or lost in a month or two.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 18:49

Rocinante wrote:Every time I buy a pair of sunglasses for over 20 bucks, or a watch for over 50, it is 100% guaranteed that I will either a). lose them, or 2). scratch them all to hell.

Sunglasses:  The only thing I buy at Walmart.

This. I must have hundred pair of the cheap shit and have lost all of the good raybans. Etc.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 19:20

tGreenWay wrote:

Thank-you, Cliff Claven.  Best Sunglasses For the $$ 502811600

Luxottica Group S.p.A. is the world's largest eyewear company, controlling over 80% of the world's major eyewear brands.[2][3]

The house brands include:[17][18]

Alain Mikli
Arnette
Eye Safety Systems (ESS)
K&L (formerly Killer Loop)
Oakley
Oliver Peoples
Persol
Ray-Ban
Sferoflex
Vogue

The company also makes eyewear under license for designer labels such as:[17][19]

Armani[20]
Brooks Brothers
Bulgari
Burberry
Chanel
Chaps
Coach
Dolce & Gabbana
DKNY
Donna Karan eyewear
Fox Eyewear
Miu Miu
Polo Ralph Lauren
Paul Smith Spectacles
Prada
Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Ralph Lauren
Reed Krakoff
Stella McCartney
Tiffany & Co.
Tory Burch
Versace
Versus[21]

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 20:32

Found these next to the time machine in the garage. Threw them in the car for when I need sunglasses in the car.

Best Sunglasses For the $$ 805289126638_shad_qt?$594$
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Punisher98 Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 21:57

Rocinante wrote:Every time I buy a pair of sunglasses for over 20 bucks, or a watch for over 50, it is 100% guaranteed that I will either a). lose them, or 2). scratch them all to hell.

Haha, a lot of truth to that. I'm letting myself go a little bigger I think though since I've hung onto this pair so long.

A couple of my buddies have suggested rowdy straps to help avoid loss and scratches. I might have to try one out
Punisher98
Punisher98
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 21:59

Punisher98 wrote:In the market for a new pair. I've had a nice pair of Spys for like four years but they're on their last legs.

I lied and came back, now my posts will be edited for accuracy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 22:02

Best Sunglasses For the $$ Solar-face-shield
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramerica Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 22:17

I have a pair of Ray Ban and a pair of Maui Jim's. Both jave polarized lenses. The Maui Jims are a much better lense for the additional money. I think I paid $80 more for the Jim's.

For the people saying buy cheap ones because you will lose them, destroy them, etc. I have found that when you drop $200-300 on sunglasses you tend to take take better care of them. I guess thats true with most things in life, though.

Also,
Kramerica
Kramerica
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 22:38

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:

I just bought the mark cavendish limited edition oakley flap jackets. 250 dollars (green and white frame with green tinted lenses..BALLER) but they are amazing and by far the best out there.

Most BALLERS call them flak jackets. But, I like your made up name better.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 22:44

I've learned over the years to usually buy nice things and that's what i do now with clothes, cars, houses, and most all other things. When it comes to watches and sunglasses, I have different strategies.

Best thing for watches is buy a nice watch with a saphire crystal face ... it won't scratch. seriously. Outside of the face ... it really doesn't matter and it's a matter of how much you want to spend and how important is the brand. Warning ... do NOT buy mineral crystal. That does scratch ... only Saphire. You can have it the rest of your life. I'm working on an ebel watch for 9 years. I still love it and that face still sparkles. Stainless steal looks good too ... a nick or two but looks great overall.

Sunglasses is a different story. I was fixing  Wink  to spend 100 bucks on some glasses and the sales guys said recommended me to a pair for $30. Poloroid, light, 1 year warranty. I liked them so much i bought another pair and have them in the other car. I'll edit post later with the brand.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSUisbetterthanu Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 23:02

If you're a grown man and don't know how to take care of something better/consistently lose something of value, you deserve to buy crap from Wal Mart and look like a cheese dick.
MSUisbetterthanu
MSUisbetterthanu
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 Wed 4 Jun 2014 - 23:24

Got a pair of sunglasses for 20 bucks at target that you can wear while being active. Pretty resistant to being dropped or stepped on. I would never spend more than 20 bucks.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 0:33

MSUisbetterthanu wrote:If you're a grown man and don't know how to take care of something better/consistently lose something of value, you deserve to buy crap from Wal Mart and look like a cheese dick.

Sorry that I work and get in the dirt and somehow that challenges your masculinity, brother, but to each his own. Hope your pressed slacks are working for you
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 7:06

I love my Ambervision sunglasses.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 7:34

Last year I had cataract surgery, and it eliminated my need for prescription sunglasses. I went to Sunglass Hut in the mall to buy my first pair of real sunglasses since I was a teenager. I settled on a pair of Rayban Clubmasters and somehow let myself get talked into polarized lenses. Going to Sunglass Hut was probably a mistake, because in the end I felt this weird satisfaction with my purchase but wish they used lube.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:20

Tanfan! wrote:

This. I must have  hundred pair of the cheap shit and have lost all of the good raybans. Etc.

The wife got pissed at how I don't take care of sunglasses and gave me the look when I'd buy a new pair each spring only to lose them or ruin them. I used to have to be cool with the shades and have the name brand yada yada yada. Now, in my old and wise age, I have a dress up pair of Ray bans I wear to outdoor parties, gatherings social events etc. Keep them in good shape. The day to day stuff I just throw on some cheap knock offs and usually have to buy some cheap ones each summer cause I have no clue what I do with them. Pretty feminine I guess that I have a "dress up" pair of glasses.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:23

Floyd Robertson wrote:Last year I had cataract surgery, .

I had my rinkin operated on, need new gasket.

seriously, how did you know you had cataracts? I've noticed my "floaters" in my eyes are getting worse. You know what "floaters" are? I haven't been to an eye doctor in 7 years. Probably should go.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:29

I currently wear classic Ray-Ban wrap-around polarized and I absolutely love them $130 +/-. I also have pair of 80's vintage Vaurnet cat-eyes that I bought on eBay for $60.00.

I have never had a problem losing sunglasses or having them get scratched because I value them and take good care of them. I did wreck a pair of Smiths once with sun screen though. Watch out for sun screen and insect repellent.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:Last year I had cataract surgery, and it eliminated my need for prescription sunglasses.

Asian guy walks into the opthamologist's office. Doctor says "I hear you have a cataract?" Asian guy responds: "No I drive a Rincoln"
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanGuard Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:31

I just get mine at Target/CVS. When they float around in a purse like mine do, they're going to get trashed. Sometimes I'll go to TJ Maxx or Marshall's and get a nicer pair on the cheap--I found some from Nine West for $10 once.
SpartanGuard
SpartanGuard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 8:32

DWags wrote:

I had my rinkin operated on, need new gasket.

seriously, how did you know you had cataracts?   I've noticed my "floaters" in my eyes are getting worse.  You know what "floaters" are?  I haven't been to an eye doctor in 7 years.  Probably should go.  

I didn't "know" that I had cataracts. I went to the eye doctor for the first time in about four years because I noticed the vision in one eye was deteriorating. I figured after four years it was time for a new prescription. The optometrist, this hot young thing at Costco, tells me otherwise and says it's time to see an ophthalmologist because I had cataract in that eye.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Jean Valjean Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 11:54

DroppedByADime wrote:Maui Jim's.    Costco.    Retail around $230.   You can find a pair there for $90-100.  

Great lenses for the $.    

This. Maui Jim's are amazing. I had no idea they sold at Costco for so cheap?
Jean Valjean
Jean Valjean
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 12:29

I've had the same pair of Ray Bans for about 7 years now. Not sure what you guys are doing to your sunglasses to trash them.

It's not that hard to keep them scratch free and I have a few pairs of cheap sunglasses for times when I'm doing things like juggling chainsaws, rebuilding the gearbox on my monster truck and wrestling alligators.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 12:49

2 for $25 at the mall kiosk (NYS or something like that). Best Sunglasses For the $$ 55953254

I like cheap ones that I can wear to the beach, in the water, or wherever without losing them or scratching them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 13:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:2 for $25 at the mall kiosk (NYS or something like that).  Best Sunglasses For the $$ 55953254

I like cheap ones that I can wear to the beach, in the water, or wherever without losing them or scratching them.  

I found a pair of Ray Bans floating in the Gulf of Mexico last year. I never did find the owner.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 13:14

9Five CAPS ...I look like I'm in the future when I wear these

Best Sunglasses For the $$ 9five_Caps_black_polarized_grande
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 14:10

Jake from State Farm wrote:

I found a pair of Ray Bans floating in the Gulf of Mexico last year. I never did find the owner.

Are you my beautiful, smart, talented wife (no pics)? Seriously, my wife found a pair of Ray Bans in the Gulf of Mexico last year.  affraid 
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 14:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Are you my beautiful, smart, talented wife (no pics)?  Seriously, my wife found a pair of Ray Bans in the Gulf of Mexico last year.  affraid 

Last I checked I was still a guy.  But who loses a $150 pair of sunglasses, twice?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 14:23

Jake from State Farm wrote:

Last I checked I was still a guy.  But who loses a $150 pair of sunglasses, twice?
Ballers, that's who.  Straight up ballers, like those that populate tRCMB and tSwill.

Glad you're a guy.  I was afraid that I had to watch what I post and go back and edit some older posts.   Best Sunglasses For the $$ 1550444538
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu 5 Jun 2014 - 15:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Are you my beautiful, smart, talented wife (no pics)?  Seriously, my wife found a pair of Ray Bans in the Gulf of Mexico last year.  affraid 

She sounds hideous.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next