Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

+26
PSUfan28
Heat Miser
Wally Fairway
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
MSU addict
The Pantry
Turtleneck
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Senior Dickfist
GRR Spartan
Tim Wakefield
Cym Jim
aualum06
tTy
NigelUno
Bob Lee Swagger
Rocinante
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
MattyFresh
30 posters

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 4 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-03, 16:55

I don't think that's what it's named after greenway
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 4 Empty Re: Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat)

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-03, 17:23

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't think that's what it's named after greenway

There you go again not thinking, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-03, 17:32

I have a follow up question about soccer, Travis:
Why do they call themselves Real Madrid? Is that to distances themselves from Fake Madrid? Why would the soccer boss people ever let a phony Madrid into their league, anyway. That just sounds confusing to me. I'll bet it confuses a lot of Real Madrid fans, too, Travis. Just imagine your kid coming home from a week at math camp, bouncing through the door to give you a hug while you're trying to watch soccer, and the chatty kid wants to know who's playing. You have to make sure to clarify whether it's Real Madrid or Fake Madrid. I think that would confuse the kid, Travis.
Do you have kids, Travis? I don't think you do, but if you did, would your little boy or girl be smart enough to attend math camp? I don't think they would, unless they got their book smarts from their mother. I'll bet what you lack in book smarts you make up for with street smarts, though, so you can pass along your street smarts to your pretend children. Anyway, I have to mow the lawn so bye.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Lee Swagger 2017-06-04, 09:31

Well the quarterfinals are once again the Baby Nats whodo. Went to extra time this morning against Venezuela. Venezuela scored in the 1st half of extra time, then again off a corner after a great save from Klinsmann in the 2nd half. The Baby Nats then came right back down and got a goal off a freekick. Its the first goal Venezuela has allowed in the tournament. It the last few minutes they couldn't find an equalizer and for the 5 time in 6 tries exits at the quarterfinal stage.
Bob Lee Swagger
Bob Lee Swagger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-05, 14:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So here's a question though.

These european competitions are 2 legs all the way through, then they get to the final and it's just one neutral site game. That doesn't make sense to me.
I think they actually had a surprising amount of forethought in doing this. It would be easy to say "Money" as the reason in this day and age, as that's the reason for so many changes in sports. But it hasn't changed. When the European Cup began in the 50s, they had a single championship game right from the start, even though corporate tickets and TV contracts weren't the driving factor at the time. If they didn't do that originally, they probably would have long-since changed it to a single game by now. While theoretically two games would mean twice the tickets and twice the ad revenue, it can lead to a relatively pointless second game. How many people would tune in for a second leg with Madrid up 4-1 on aggregate? Flipping something like that such as Barca did on PSG is the very rare exception.

I haven't read anything on their rationale when it started, but it makes sense as far as planning travel, hyping it as a big event, and not risking a meaningless second leg.

Interestingly, the Copa Libertadores (the South American version of the Champions League) does do a two-leg home-and-home final.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-05, 15:09

But then why not have the other games be single game, neutral site as well? It wouldn't be that hard. If in one game you have Barcelona playing Liverpool and Juventus playing Manchester, have the first game in Italy and the other in Spain.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-05, 15:13

I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-05, 17:27

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:But then why not have the other games be single game, neutral site as well? It wouldn't be that hard. If in one game you have Barcelona playing Liverpool and Juventus playing Manchester, have the first game in Italy and the other in Spain.
In the 1950s, it was not easy and cheap to fly half way across Europe for a round of 16 game. And, as Warsaw Pact countries were involved from the first year, fan travel to and from those countries was nearly impossible. So you'd get few fans of the teams, and just some neutrals. Not to mention, if you don't get the ticket sales from your home leg, but still have to pay for your team to travel, the clubs would lose money by playing.

Even today, I don't think you could expect two clubs to send 30-40,000 fans each on a trip like that for an early knockout stage game. European away games are awesome experiences (not that I've been, but even living vicariously through others is cool), but those are usually less than 5,000 fans. Of course, that's what's allocated, and demand may exceed that. But while some away trips have more demand than others, I doubt you would get very many round of 16 games that would draw more than 10,000 fans from each team. Midweek games in March/April aren't exactly like going to bowl games over the holidays.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-05, 17:31

Answer the question, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-09, 00:11

I really like that pulisic kid.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-09, 00:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I really like that pulisic kid.

Did you hear I'm a big fan of Millwall fans now?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-09, 00:22

DWags wrote:

Yeah they're pretty sweet. Saudi Arabia on the other hand.... this was their game against Australia. They chose to ignore the moment of silence for London victims. But you know, they're our best bud now so whatever.

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 4 Saudi-arabia-soccer-ignores-minute-of-silence-for-london-terror-victims

Anyway, pulisic is the next great American hope, but this time I'm pretty sure he's actually really good and you should pay attention to him. Or don't, whatever, that's fine too. But this kid is entertaining.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-09, 11:06

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Anyway, pulisic is the next great American hope, but this time I'm pretty sure he's actually really good and you should pay attention to him. Or don't, whatever, that's fine too. But this kid is entertaining.
I've been watching/following the US team for 30 years, and at the risk of sounding hyperbolic, Pulisic is already the most technically gifted player I've seen (for the US).  We produce a lot of players with heart and desire, but not great technical skill.  I love that he's able to play with guys like Dempsey and Howard who exude that heart and passion for the national team.  Hopefully that rubs off on him to add to his technical skill.

Dortmund's new coach should be good for him.  They hired Ajax's coach, who just took the youngest ever team to a European final (even if they did lose to United).  So he's got a good record working with and trusting young players.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2017-06-09, 11:14; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-09, 11:10

I think he should go back to his original European coach in Klopp. Probably for the best for him. And me. But him. But also me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-09, 11:24

Soccer vs American football:

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-09, 11:25

DWags wrote:

Me too. Soccer is now awesome.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-06-09, 11:50

Warning, this thread is for soccer (more like Travis and Matty Liverpool chat) - Page 4 H2xJmeF
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-09, 12:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think he should go back to his original European coach in Klopp. Probably for the best for him. And me. But him. But also me.
Please, Klopp left like two months after signing him, and he never played under him. Sorry, bud, he grew up a United fan. He's bred to hate you guys.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-09, 12:10

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think he should go back to his original European coach in Klopp. Probably for the best for him. And me. But him. But also me.
Please, Klopp left like two months after signing him, and he never played under him. Sorry, bud, he grew up a United fan. He's bred to hate you guys.

Yeah but him and Klopp are besties.

Haha. Liverpool tried to sign him last summer but for some insane reason Dortmund wouldn't take 7 million. Idiots.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-09, 12:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yeah but him and Klopp are besties.

Haha. Liverpool tried to sign him last summer but for some insane reason Dortmund wouldn't take 7 million. Idiots.
The player has to agree to a move, and when Pulisic heard it was Liverpool that wanted him, he told Dortmund that he'd sooner shovel shit in siberia than go to that godforsaken club. That's a direct quote, btw.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-09, 12:47

I'm pretty sure it was the 7 million if I'm honest with you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-10, 11:14

The Great American Soccer Hope Is Here (For Real, This Time)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 19:27

Let's all watch the US play against Mexico. Fox sports 1 at 830.

Also the first person to make a stupid, way too easy, wall joke is getting banned.

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-11, 19:41; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 19:33

I hope the Mexican fans throw all their bags filled with pee on Bradley and spare all the other players who don't suck.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 19:35

I'd be comfortable with that too
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 19:54

Ummmm, WTF, why no Altidore, Dempsey, Howard and Johnson in the starting 11????????
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 20:01

Old? I don't know. Pulisic's got this. It's fine.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-11, 20:01

I'm here to watch Pele, when is he on?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2017-06-11, 20:02

A draw would be excellent
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:08

aualum06 wrote:A draw would be excellent

I was going to ask a question that probably has never been asked in this forum in any context....

Is this a "must-draw" (or better) match? In terms of standings/qualifying?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 20:21

I don't think so. Itd be super nice though. Here's the standings with 5 to play

as of 12:00 AM ET, June 9 PTS W L D GF GA GD
Mexico 13 4 0 1 8 1 +7
Costa Rica 8 2 1 2 7 3 +4
United States 7 2 2 1 10 7 +3
Panama

6 1 1 3 2 2 0
Honduras 4 1 3 1 4 1 -5
Trinidad & Tobago 3 1 3 0 2 6 -4
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:22

Do top three get automatic bid? I can't remember..... I really want a point here, at least.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 20:25

Yeah, too three are automatic and fourth plays against I want to say a middle eastern team for a spot. It might be a pacific team. Can't remember
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:27

Yeah, that is how I remember it.... Cool, thanks brah..... Go Red, White and Not Green!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:28

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:28

sry, meant to hit "preview".
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:29

Mexico's alma mater sounds like the Barnum and Baily Circus theme to me..... #Clowns.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 20:33

Why isn't anyone sitting in the front few rows? Probably the piss issue.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-11, 20:38

Wwwwwwwooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2017-06-11, 20:39

holy shit. Reverse jinx... wow, I hate Bradley, but, omg, I love him now..... OK, back to hate.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next