Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tSleep Thread

+11
Floyd Robertson
MSU addict
tGreenWay
Triple Sparty
AMwood
Death Roe
WhiteBoyHatcher
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
The Pantry
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tSleep Thread Empty tSleep Thread

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-28, 11:03

Have slept pretty well most of my life.  A few stress induced bouts with insomnia along the way.  Worst was during the divorce...got a prescription for Ambien.  Would knock me out fairly quick but I'd wake up maybe 4 hours later despite the stuff supposedly being time release.  Hated the shit because it made me feel dizzy when I got out of bed...have not taken it since.

Have not been sleeping well in a few months despite buying a new pillow, which is really comfortable.  Mattress is great.  Started wondering what else would help and looked online this morning, when it hit me.  Have a fan in the room I haven't turned on since maybe Thanksgiving.  The fan is kind of loud even on its lowest setting but pretty sure I'm missing the noise it creates.  Going to try turning it back on tonight.  While online noticed sound conditioners (white noise) and read some reviews. Anyone here use one?  Recommendation?

Also read about developing a pre-bedtime regimen...a schedule of do's and don'ts.  Realized my schedule is erratic.  Need to work on that.  Anyone have getting to sleep rituals?

In general, what helps make you get the best sleep?  

@Greenway...sorry, everything I read suggested naps were not advisable unless limited to 20-30 minutes
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tSleep Thread Empty Re: tSleep Thread

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-03-28, 11:07

Bedtime sex. Sorry, that's all I got.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 11:11

eating well and exercising.. without a doubt.

also, no alcohol. Yes, it's a depressant, which might trick you into thinking it'll put you to sleep, but it's also a diuretic.. hard for us to sleep well when we're in the bathroom 2-3 times during the night.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-03-28, 11:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:eating well and exercising.. without a doubt.

also, no alcohol. Yes, it's a depressant, which might trick you into thinking it'll put you to sleep, but it's also a diuretic.. hard for us to sleep well when we're in the bathroom 2-3 times during the night.

affraid
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-03-28, 11:57

I use a fan, or a dehumidifier or something, anything. I have white noise apps on my phone that I try to use when I'm on the road but it's not the same as a fan, even if I use the 'fan' setting on the phone.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-03-28, 11:59

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I use a fan, or a dehumidifier or something, anything. I have white noise apps on my phone that I try to use when I'm on the road but it's not the same as a fan, even if I use the 'fan' setting on the phone.

This, 100%
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-28, 12:19

Review of sound conditioners

http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/best-white-noise-machine-reviews/

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2017-03-28, 12:35

maybe quit touching yourself at night?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2017-03-28, 13:20

Get a Dohm. We have the white one.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-28, 13:49

Way back when Mrs. tGreenWay and I were dating, she needed a fan because she couldn't sleep without the sound it made. Seemed silly to me, but quickly adapted and wouldn't like sleeping in total silence nowadays.
These days, we use a couple of the Marpac sound conditioners that Triple Sparty suggested. Just got a couple new ones, actually. They're readily available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50/each, though I saved some $$ with the coupon they send us every month.
I actually prefer a true white noise, but the Marpac Dohm does a good job.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-28, 13:52

Oh, and I'm aware that shorter naps are better, but I also read that if you can get in a full sleep cycle, that's helpful, too. One full cycle for humans is ~ 90 mins.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-03-28, 15:55

I am a natural born insomniac.  My mind just is naturally very active and has a hard time shutting off to sleep, thoughts just continue to race through my brain.

Take it from someone who lives it first hand, The old tried and true methods work best (mention by many already)

Cool room
As dark as possible
Silent as possible with only white noise.  The marpac/dohm is the best.  I have been using one for 30+ years.
Go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time - everyday.
Exercise daily - best for sleeping if you do it earlier in the day.  Do not do it before bed.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 16:08

yes, exercising earlier in the day is important..

also, someone mentioned late night TV - if you do that, make sure you watch some blindingly innocuous and overwhelmingly mundane.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-03-28, 19:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:if you do that, make sure you watch some blindingly innocuous and overwhelmingly mundane.

So reading most of the posts here would work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-03-28, 19:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:yes, exercising earlier in the day is important..

also, someone mentioned late night TV - if you do that, make sure you watch some blindingly innocuous and overwhelmingly mundane.

So no watching Natural Born Killers before bed?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-03-28, 19:15

MSU addict wrote:I am a natural born insomniac.  My mind just is naturally very active and has a hard time shutting off to sleep, thoughts just continue to race through my brain.

Take it from someone who lives it first hand, The old tried and true methods work best (mention by many already)

Cool room
As dark as possible
Silent as possible with only white noise.  The marpac/dohm is the best.  I have been using one for 30+ years.
Go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time - everyday.
Exercise daily - best for sleeping if you do it earlier in the day.  Do not do it before bed.

About the only one I follow religiously is keeping the same schedule seven days a week. I also find that reading fiction in bed helps, it keeps my mind off everything else. I'm lucky to get 5-6 hours a night though.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-28, 19:46

Triple Sparty wrote:Get a Dohm. We have the white one.

tGreenWay wrote:Way back when Mrs. tGreenWay and I were dating, she needed a fan because she couldn't sleep without the sound it made. Seemed silly to me, but quickly adapted and wouldn't like sleeping in total silence nowadays.
These days, we use a couple of the Marpac sound conditioners that Triple Sparty suggested. Just got a couple new ones, actually. They're readily available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50/each, though I saved some $$ with the coupon they send us every month.
Interesting. Of the gadgets in that review, the Dohm was most appealing to me because it was natural noise and not a recording. Looks like you can tune it in to whatever level works best, right?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-28, 20:05

The Pantry wrote:
Triple Sparty wrote:Get a Dohm. We have the white one.

tGreenWay wrote:Way back when Mrs. tGreenWay and I were dating, she needed a fan because she couldn't sleep without the sound it made. Seemed silly to me, but quickly adapted and wouldn't like sleeping in total silence nowadays.
Interesting. Of the gadgets in that review, the Dohm was most appealing to me because it was natural noise and not a recording. Looks like you can tune it in to whatever level works best, right?

There are two ways to adjust the sound intensity on the unit itself, simply by turning the sides or the top. There's also a button for on/off and for high/low. The only reason I like white noise better is because it's better at eliminating/masking other ambient sounds. The Marpac is really just a sound machine, but I do like it and use it nightly.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-28, 21:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I use a fan, or a dehumidifier or something, anything. I have white noise apps on my phone that I try to use when I'm on the road but it's not the same as a fan, even if I use the 'fan' setting on the phone.
Might sound weird but I usually get great sleep at hotels using the fan in the room's heat/AC unit.  In fact, that sound is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Plus the blinds/drapes usually keep the room much darker than at home.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-28, 21:17

The Pantry wrote:
Might sound weird but I usually get great sleep at hotels using the fan in the room's heat/AC unit.  In fact, that sound is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Spend the rest of your life traveling. Problem solved.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-03-28, 21:22

The Pantry wrote:Interesting.  Of the gadgets in that review, the Dohm was most appealing to me because it was natural noise and not a recording.  Looks like you can tune it in to whatever level works best, right?
Yes you can.  It has two speeds and the body twists to change the opening size and shape producing less/more noise and also changes the tone.  It can be very quiet to fairly loud. 

They have sold the same basic machine for over 50 years, so they must be doing something right.  I believe they offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.  If you do not like it, return it.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-03-28, 21:25

The Pantry wrote:

I use that, too...but it's not loud enough. Especially if you are near the elevators.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-03-28, 21:35

The Pantry wrote:Plus the blinds/drapes usually keep the room much darker than at home.

They make black out curtains for home use.

I find I sleep best with the room obsessively dark.  I have a black out pull down shade and black out curtains.  I eliminate every possible light source - power strips, phone charger, any LED on anything (black electrical tape works well). 

The only exception is my alarm clock, which has a VERY low light mode.  I just need to know what time it is, or else I will be thinking about/wondering what time it is which is counter productive.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-03-28, 21:53

MSU addict wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Plus the blinds/drapes usually keep the room much darker than at home.

They make black out curtains for home use.

I find I sleep best with the room obsessively dark.  I have a black out pull down shade and black out curtains.  I eliminate every possible light source - power strips, phone charger, any LED on anything (black electrical tape works well). 

The only exception is my alarm clock, which has a VERY low light mode.  I just need to know what time it is, or else I will be thinking about/wondering what time it is which is counter productive.
Thanks.  Was thinking about how dark hotel rooms are earlier and found some blackout fabric on amazon.  Might give it a shot.

Blackout
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2017-03-28, 22:21

I suck at it.

Been trying Pink noise lately from an app and it's...different, but I do like having the constant noise at night
Have used dark shades and usually put a black tshirt over my face to fall alseep in total darkness
Have a nice pillow and sleep is much better with that compared to if I do not have it
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-14, 19:16

Spent a couple days in the hospital this week after waking up feeling unbalanced Tuesday morning. Felt fine Monday night.

Diagnosis was A-Fib. They did a cardioversion and got me back to sinus rhythm. Had an interesting talk with the cardiologist before being released yesterday evening. Told me my afib was probably triggered by sleep apnea. Said it was common. Going back to see him in a couple weeks. Guessing he's going to order a sleep study.

Some co-workers asked what happened when I got back this morning. A few admitted to doing sleep studies and using CPAP machines. One said he hated the machine he has and quit using it. Two others said they swear by them and get great sleep, going on to say they wake up feeling much better than before using one.

Anyone here use a CPAP?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-09-14, 19:44

The Pantry wrote:Spent a couple days in the hospital this week after waking up feeling unbalanced Tuesday morning. Felt fine Monday night.

Diagnosis was A-Fib. They did a cardioversion and got me back to sinus rhythm. Had an interesting talk with the cardiologist before being released yesterday evening. Told me my afib was probably triggered by sleep apnea. Said it was common. Going back to see him in a couple weeks. Guessing he's going to order a sleep study.

Some co-workers asked what happened when I got back this morning. A few admitted to doing sleep studies and using CPAP machines. One said he hated the machine he has and quit using it. Two others said they swear by them and get great sleep, going on to say they wake up feeling much better than before using one.

Anyone here use a CPAP?

Glad to hear they figured that out quickly.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-14, 20:35

The Pantry wrote:Spent a couple days in the hospital this week after waking up feeling unbalanced Tuesday morning. Felt fine Monday night.

Anyone here use a CPAP?

A friend had her sleep study several weeks ago. Started using the cpap less than a month ago. On the first night, said she slept for eight uninterrupted hours. Something she thinks had never happened before. Waking up totally alert and refreshed. It's a positive enough review to make me start thinking about a sleep study.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-09-14, 20:38

ps: Glad you're on the mend, Pantry. I wondered where you were. It's not the same here without you pissing on my parade. tSleep Thread 2943907172
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-14, 20:47

tGreenWay wrote:ps: Glad you're on the mend, Pantry. I wondered where you were. It's not the same here without you pissing on my parade. tSleep Thread 2943907172
Pissing on posters here is like terms of endearment.

That said, shove your creepy banana avatar where the Sun don't shine.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-09-14, 21:54

I have a CPAP but I don't use it anymore. I kind of rigged the sleep study because I wanted to see if it would help me sleep. I don't think I sleep any better with it than I do without it. I lost some weight compared to when I first got it and I think that helped me more than the CPAP. It is a pain in the ass to keep clean and filled with water. It's a pain in the ass being tethered to a hose. I toss and turn even with it on.

And a problem for me that obviously would not be a problem for you is I move around often in terms of where I sleep because I can't sleep with a 4 year old sticking her foot in my ear and quite honestly we are both too tired to wake up/notice when she sneaks into bed with us. But if it wakes me up, I'm gone to the guest room or the couch in the basement and I'm sure as shit not moving the CPAP with me.

I got sick of traveling with it.

I just don't use it anymore. I should probably return it before I get a big bill from the insurance company. They have SIM cards now and connect to wifi to transmit sleep information. They know when you use it and when you don't.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-09-14, 21:54

The Pantry wrote:Spent a couple days in the hospital this week after waking up feeling unbalanced Tuesday morning.  Felt fine Monday night.

Diagnosis was A-Fib.  They did a cardioversion and got me back to sinus rhythm.  Had an interesting talk with the cardiologist before being released yesterday evening.  Told me my afib was probably triggered by sleep apnea.  Said it was common.  Going back to see him in a couple weeks.  Guessing he's going to order a sleep study.

Some co-workers asked what happened when I got back this morning.  A few admitted to doing sleep studies and using CPAP machines.  One said he hated the machine he has and quit using it.  Two others said they swear by them and get great sleep, going on to say they wake up feeling much better than before using one.

Anyone here use a CPAP?

I'm glad you're alright Pantry. I'm sure that's still scary going through that. I have an uncle that can finally slee with his CPAP. I say try it. If it helps great, if not, then you know it doesn't help.

I've always been a terrible sleeper. I've been on every medication out there to sleep. I hate them all, and none of them worked. I also had just about every side effect from them. I really can't think of anything that I have t tried to improve my sleep, from medications, diet/exercise to meditation. My body just sucks. So hubby knows it's a big deal if I fall asleep . So he tries everything to not wake me, which I'm a terribly light sleeper too. I have to say, the amount of sleep I get with a newborn isn't any different than normal. The difference is me actually getting up, which makes it harder.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-14, 22:43

gHost Spartan wrote:Be well Pantry. I'm sure you're in Bob's thoughts and prayers.
Fuck Bob, and Bruce.

57 channels and nothing on.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-14, 23:07

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Spent a couple days in the hospital this week after waking up feeling unbalanced Tuesday morning.  Felt fine Monday night.

Diagnosis was A-Fib.  They did a cardioversion and got me back to sinus rhythm.  Had an interesting talk with the cardiologist before being released yesterday evening.  Told me my afib was probably triggered by sleep apnea.  Said it was common.  Going back to see him in a couple weeks.  Guessing he's going to order a sleep study.

Some co-workers asked what happened when I got back this morning.  A few admitted to doing sleep studies and using CPAP machines.  One said he hated the machine he has and quit using it.  Two others said they swear by them and get great sleep, going on to say they wake up feeling much better than before using one.

Anyone here use a CPAP?

I'm glad you're alright Pantry. I'm sure that's still scary going through that. I have an uncle that can finally slee with his CPAP. I say try it. If it helps great, if not, then you know it doesn't help.

I've always been a terrible sleeper. I've been on every medication out there to sleep. I hate them all, and none of them worked. I also had just about every side effect from them. I really can't think of anything that I have t tried to improve my sleep, from medications, diet/exercise to meditation. My body just sucks. So hubby knows it's a big deal if I fall asleep . So he tries everything to not wake me, which I'm a terribly light sleeper too. I have to say, the amount of sleep I get with a newborn isn't any different than normal. The difference is me actually getting up, which makes it harder.
Except for a period of time after an elderly neighbor died an unnatural death when I was in junior high, the divorce, and some instances since I've kinda slept like a rock. Weird thing is when the kids were young, if something seemed wrong I'd wake up immediately. Something kitten could never claim.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-09-14, 23:39

Bob with the worst advice gold medal
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-09-15, 08:27

The Pantry wrote:Have slept pretty well most of my life.  A few stress induced bouts with insomnia along the way.  Worst was during the divorce...got a prescription for Ambien.  Would knock me out fairly quick but I'd wake up maybe 4 hours later despite the stuff supposedly being time release.  Hated the shit because it made me feel dizzy when I got out of bed...have not taken it since.

Have not been sleeping well in a few months despite buying a new pillow, which is really comfortable.  Mattress is great.  Started wondering what else would help and looked online this morning, when it hit me.  Have a fan in the room I haven't turned on since maybe Thanksgiving.  The fan is kind of loud even on its lowest setting but pretty sure I'm missing the noise it creates.  Going to try turning it back on tonight.  While online noticed sound conditioners (white noise) and read some reviews. Anyone here use one?  Recommendation?

Also read about developing a pre-bedtime regimen...a schedule of do's and don'ts.  Realized my schedule is erratic.  Need to work on that.  Anyone have getting to sleep rituals?

In general, what helps make you get the best sleep?  

@Greenway...sorry, everything I read suggested naps were not advisable unless limited to 20-30 minutes

Glad to hear you're ok. I've lived with AFib for decades, it sucks at times but so far it hasn't killed me. They've tried to get me to use a CPAP but I can't stand anything like that so I've refused. I don't wear any rings, bracelets, necklaces so there's no way I'm sleeping with that rig on.

I sleep like a baby between pisses by using playlists on my tablet. I'm normally out by song #2 and rarely wake again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-09-15, 08:35

The Pantry wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:Be well Pantry. I'm sure you're in Bob's thoughts and prayers.
Fuck Bob, and Bruce.

57 channels and nothing on.
glad to hear that you're doing better and they seem to have some things figured out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2017-09-15, 09:42

Anyone here use a CPAP?

I've been using a CPAP for the last 3 years. I love the thing. At first, I didn't see anyway possible how I would be able to sleep wearing it, but it only took a few days before I realized the benefits. The mask I have now is very slim and does not bother me at all. If I sleep without it, I realize how damn tired I used to always be before.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-09-15, 09:49

Senior Dickfist wrote:

Anyone here use a CPAP?

I've been using a CPAP for the last 3 years. I love the thing. At first, I didn't see anyway possible how I would be able to sleep wearing it, but it only took a few days before I realized the benefits. The mask I have now is very slim and does not bother me at all. If I sleep without it, I realize how damn tired I used to always be before.
What brand? Do you have to sleep on your back while wearing it? I prefer sleeping on my side
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist 2017-09-15, 10:10

I can comfortable sleep in any position without it being a problem.  On this particular model, the hose attaches to the mask at the top of your head and the air flows through the mask to your nose.  If you're sleeping on your side, you cut off air flow on one side, but it's not an issue since the air still flows through the other side of the mask at the same constant pressure.

http://www.thecpapshop.com/respironics-dreamwear-nasal-cpap-mask-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJ-htq6n1gIVk4uzCh0PuAJMEAkYASABEgKK-PD_BwE
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next