Washington Post pops another Liberal balloon. Gerrymandering.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Washington Post pops another Liberal balloon. Gerrymandering.

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-25, 15:40

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Glad you get the point. Whichever party is in charge at the State level has always gerrymandered to help themselves, it was one of several reasons the Dems controlled the House from 1954-1994. Of course back then they were more generally in favor of gerrymandering.

And...? "Obama" ??? You've always been part of the problem Goose. Sorry that's a fact. Revenge not correction. It won't end either. Just get worse.

I didn't mention Obama, I don't understand the need to tie him to history older than he is.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 08:38

More proof that Dems LOVE gerrymandering - when they can do it.

How Democrats Gerrymandered Their Way to Victory in Maryland

In spring 2011, the six Democratic members of Maryland’s congressional delegations tasked Eric Hawkins with two key jobs: Draw new district lines that get us re-elected easily for another five terms, while also taking direct aim at the state’s last two Republicans.

Behind closed doors, Democratic insiders and high-ranking aides referred to it as “the 7-1 map.” Hawkins—an analyst at a Beltway data firm called NCEC Services—not only made it happen, but imagined an 8-0 map that might have shut Republicans out of power altogether. That, however, would have required spreading Democratic voters a little too thin and made some incumbents slightly less safe; these congressmen were partisans, sure, but they were also reluctant to risk their own seats.

New court depositions and previously unseen emails uncover just how determined Maryland Democrats were to take a seat from the Republicans and knock 10-term veteran Roscoe Bartlett—an idiosyncratic conservative who after losing his seat retired off the grid in the mountains of West Virginia, issuing dire warnings about the vulnerability of our power grid—out of office.

They also reveal the partisanship with which Democrats approached redistricting in Maryland: As former governor and 2016 Democratic presidential primary candidate Martin O’Malley explains, he and other Democrats wanted to use their party’s control of the governor’s office to secure a 7-1 majority.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-06-27, 08:41

LooseGoose wrote:More proof that Dems LOVE gerrymandering - when they can do it.

In spring 2011, the six Democratic members of Maryland’s congressional delegations tasked Eric Hawkins with two key jobs: Draw new district lines that get us re-elected easily for another five terms, while also taking direct aim at the state’s last two Republicans.

Behind closed doors, Democratic insiders and high-ranking aides referred to it as “the 7-1 map.” Hawkins—an analyst at a Beltway data firm called NCEC Services—not only made it happen, but imagined an 8-0 map that might have shut Republicans out of power altogether. That, however, would have required spreading Democratic voters a little too thin and made some incumbents slightly less safe; these congressmen were partisans, sure, but they were also reluctant to risk their own seats.

New court depositions and previously unseen emails uncover just how determined Maryland Democrats were to take a seat from the Republicans and knock 10-term veteran Roscoe Bartlett—an idiosyncratic conservative who after losing his seat retired off the grid in the mountains of West Virginia, issuing dire warnings about the vulnerability of our power grid—out of office.

They also reveal the partisanship with which Democrats approached redistricting in Maryland: As former governor and 2016 Democratic presidential primary candidate Martin O’Malley explains, he and other Democrats wanted to use their party’s control of the governor’s office to secure a 7-1 majority.
Goose rockin' the mainstream media link..
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-27, 08:47

LooseGoose wrote:More proof that Dems LOVE gerrymandering - when they can do it.

Hold on hold on hold on. A political party likes rules when they break to their advantage???

Nooooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy

Come on goose this isn't a partisan issue. Gerrymandering is a terrible system that can be greater taken advantage of in modern times due to the wealth of information and analytics available to make it work anyway anyone wants it to. This isn't "my side vs your side." Though I have no doubt you'll continue to try to make it into that so I don't know why I'm saying anything. Carry on.
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2017-06-27, 08:56

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Hold on hold on hold on. A political party likes rules when they break to their advantage???

Come on goose this isn't a partisan issue. Gerrymandering is a terrible system that can be greater taken advantage of in modern times due to the wealth of information and analytics available to make it work anyway anyone wants it to. This isn't "my side vs your side." Though I have no doubt you'll continue to try to make it into that so I don't know why I'm saying anything. Carry on.

The Supreme Court popped Goose's balloon and he implied they were wrong.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 09:06

I've put my gerrymandering reform plan forward many times. The point of this post is to remind my libbie friends here that even as they accuse R's of all kinds of nefarious activity that their preferred party is far from having clean hands.

Still waiting for the TrueBelievers™ in the "solid South" to explain to me how Democrats still controlled Georgia in 2001?
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2017-06-27, 09:15

LooseGoose wrote:

I've put my gerrymandering reform plan forward many times. The point of this post is to remind my libbie friends here that even as they accuse R's of all kinds of nefarious activity that their preferred party is far from having clean hands.

Still waiting for the TrueBelievers™ in the "solid South" to explain to me how Democrats still controlled Georgia in 2001?

That darn libbie Supreme Court!!!

Supreme Court strikes down 2 NC congressional districts

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-27, 09:15

LooseGoose wrote:

That is so fucking stupid goose. Really, it's stupid. Just a stupid take. You know what I would say if republicans didn't take advantage of gerrymandering? I'd call them fucking idiots. It's not their fault. Don't hate the player hate the game. So your response is to point out times democrats have played by the rules and spike the ball like you proved a point? And you then wonder why I call you a total hack.
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 09:20

LooseGoose wrote:

That is so fucking stupid goose. Really, it's stupid. Just a stupid take. You know what I would say if republicans didn't take advantage of gerrymandering? I'd call them fucking idiots. It's not their fault. Don't hate the player hate the game. So your response is to point out times democrats have played by the rules and spike the ball like you proved a point? And you then wonder why I call you a total hack.

I'm sorry that it angers you but I've given up my utopian hopes of any real change. They're all crooked as hell. Nothing is going to ever change for the better in politics. The American people are too stupid and thus too easily misled.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-27, 09:21

LooseGoose wrote:

I'm sorry that it angers you but I've given up my utopian hopes of any real change. They're all crooked as hell. Nothing is going to ever change for the better in politics. The American people are too stupid and thus too easily misled.

Thank you for the link about democrats playing by the rules all the same goose.
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-06-27, 10:12

LooseGoose wrote:

Thank you for the link about democrats playing by the rules all the same goose.

Let me know when you're ready to invest in some land, armaments and shelf stable foods.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-15, 08:32

While I'm certain that many here know much more than any study from UCLA & Yale could tell us.....

Independent Commissions Gerrymander Just as Much as State Legislators

When they compared the final redistricting maps devised the state legislators with the publically proposed alternative maps, the researchers found that the legislators' efforts were less competitive than 71 percent of the proposed alternatives. But the maps created by nonpartisan redistricting commissions were worse; 76 percent were less competitive than the proposed alternatives.

"In sum, independent commissions do not draw House maps that encourage greater electoral competition any more than partisan legislature do," the researchers conclude. "Overall, our results suggest caution in overhauling state redistricting institutions to increase electoral competition: independent commissions may not be as politically-neutral as theorized."

H.L. Mencken once quipped, "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong." Independent redistricting commissions appear to be just such a solution.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-15, 09:09

LooseGoose wrote:While I'm certain that many here know much more than any study from UCLA & Yale could tell us.....

Independent Commissions Gerrymander Just as Much as State Legislators

When they compared the final redistricting maps devised the state legislators with the publically proposed alternative maps, the researchers found that the legislators' efforts were less competitive than 71 percent of the proposed alternatives. But the maps created by nonpartisan redistricting commissions were worse; 76 percent were less competitive than the proposed alternatives.

"In sum, independent commissions do not draw House maps that encourage greater electoral competition any more than partisan legislature do," the researchers conclude. "Overall, our results suggest caution in overhauling state redistricting institutions to increase electoral competition: independent commissions may not be as politically-neutral as theorized."

H.L. Mencken once quipped, "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong." Independent redistricting commissions appear to be just such a solution.

Hey what do they know. I mean those climate scientists are full of shit right?
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-15, 09:59

Triggered
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-07-15, 10:01

LooseGoose wrote:Triggered

I'd say confused.
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-07-15, 10:03

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Triggered

I'd say confused.

Remember, we will always accept you no matter what.

Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-01-30, 09:28

Michael Barone: All that you — and Justice Anthony Kennedy — need to know about redistricting and gerrymandering

Does gerrymandering matter? Not as much as you might think. You're sure to be wrong if you take at face value the rhetoric of liberals who seem to place most of the blame for Republican majorities in the House of Representatives on partisan map-making.

I have argued repeatedly — in December 2017, September 2017, July 2015, October 2014, September 2014, January 2014, and February 2013, that redistricting is less important in securing Republican congressional and legislative majorities than demographic clustering — the fact that Democratic voters are increasingly concentrated in black, Hispanic, gentry liberal and university areas.

That's because Democrats’ huge majorities in districts dominated by such voters do nothing to elect Democrats in the remaining districts. A party with clustered constituencies is inevitably disadvantaged by a system of equal-population legislative districts. That conclusion is confirmed by the research of political scientists Jowei Chen (University of Michigan) and Jonathan Rodden (Stanford), as reported in the New York Times in 2014, and it was confirmed once again last week by the work of David Wasserman and three colleagues at FiveThirtyEight in their Atlas of Redistricting.

Only one of these seven methods — Democratic gerrymander — produces more “usually Democratic” than “usually Republican” districts. Even proportionally partisan plans, which Democrats are hoping Justice Kennedy and the four Democratic-appointed justices will require, produces more usually Republican than usually Democratic districts. The current plans, by the way, produce 195 districts they classify as "usually Republican" and only 168 as "usually Democratic."

For more details, consult the Atlas of Redistricting. And take a look at Wasserman’s FiveThirtyEight article titled “Hating Gerrymandering Is Easy. Fixing It Is Harder.” In the process, he confirms points I have been making for more than five years and which others, including Wasserman himself, have increasingly been making.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2018-01-30, 09:29

Is this the doozy?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2018-01-30, 09:37

Regardless , I hate it and it needs to stop. I signed the petition in the fall to end it here in MI. I hope it gets in the ballet.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-01-30, 10:34

Dendrobates wrote:Regardless , I hate it and it needs to stop. I signed the petition in the fall to end it here in MI. I hope it gets in the ballet.

Nice.  Was the group pushing it called American Promise? Or Michigan Uprising?
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-01-30, 11:38

Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2018-01-30, 12:06

Rocinante wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:Regardless , I hate it and it needs to stop. I signed the petition in the fall to end it here in MI. I hope it gets in the ballet.

Nice.  Was the group pushing it called American Promise? Or Michigan Uprising?

Good question. I really don’t know. I signed it while tailgating this past fall. They were walking around with it then, whomever it was.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2018-01-30, 17:03

Has the news of Obama's 2nd term ending hit Mio yet?

How about the news Hillary Clinton lost in Nov '16?

Has the news that the MI GOP and groups that identify as "conservatives" are fighting to keep the successful petition to take redistricting out of the legislators hands off the No '18 ballot

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/06/gop-fight-anti-gerrymandering-group/107392690/

Must not be the small government conservative wing of the party
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-02-04, 07:58

All you ever wanted to know on Gerrymandering

The Atlas Of Redistricting

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-02-04, 08:30

As long as black people can't vote, I'm happy with it.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-02-05, 20:34

SCOTUS refuses PA GOP request to take up gerrymandering case, in which Connies hoped to stop redistricting.

In its decision earlier, PA Supremes had stated:

“ ... that the Republican-drawn maps ‘clearly, plainly and palpably violates the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.’"

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/05/politics/supreme-court-pennsylvania-redistricting/index.html
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum