Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The political hodge podge thread

+20
CheesySpartan
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
steveschneider
AnomanderRake
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Travis of the Cosmos
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
The_Dude
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Blanch32
xsanguine
DWags
GRR Spartan
24 posters

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-23, 16:42

DWags wrote:
I'm also not disagreeing that the band director wants that kind of music. And the people that hire him. [b]It's not just MSU, but every historically majority white college, [/b]because that's the history/culture of a marching band. wrote:

totally agree with this.  And it's a shame.  

Disagree with this.  Add a teacher, pay for it and watch.  

Really?  You did see what I was saying that's not going to change, right?  The culture of University marching bands?  You're saying that adding music teachers to primarily black grade schools, giving them orchestra/marching band instruments, traditional marching band music/marching, is going to change the 100 year culture of marching bands at historically majority white universities?  Before you know it, the band is going to transform to a FAMU-type band?

You're still insistent on teaching them traditional orchestra/marching band music, huh?  But you won't say why?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 Empty Re: The political hodge podge thread

Post by DWags 2017-05-23, 17:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

totally agree with this.  And it's a shame.  

Disagree with this.  Add a teacher, pay for it and watch.  

Really?  You did see what I was saying that's not going to change, right?  The culture of University marching bands?  You're saying that adding music teachers to primarily black grade schools, giving them orchestra/marching band instruments, traditional marching band music/marching, is going to change the 100 year culture of marching bands at historically majority white universities?  Before you know it, the band is going to transform to a FAMU-type band?

You're still insistent on teaching them traditional orchestra/marching band music, huh?  But you won't say why?

I don't know, lets just see. How about we do that? Lets see what happens.

Unless you think it's just going to be throwing money away. But just so I'm clear because I know you've said I'm having comprehension problems today and I'm not upset about that, maybe I am, are you saying that it's your belief the money wouldn't be well spent because there wouldn't be interest in it?

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-23, 18:16

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Unless you think it's just going to be throwing money away. But just so I'm clear because I know you've said I'm having comprehension problems today and I'm not upset about that, maybe I am, are you saying that it's your belief the money wouldn't be well spent because there wouldn't be interest in it?

Yes and no. No, I don't think it's throwing the money away. But yes, you are correct that I think that the money wouldn't be well spent...at least in the way that you favor spending (i.e., give them traditional orchestra/band instruments, and someone to teach them traditional orchestra/marching band music, and watch it happen). It should not be a matter of orchestra/marching band or nothing, especially when it comes to predominantly black schools/communities.

Change what/how they're being taught music. Teach them music that resonates with their community, their upbringing, their history. Maybe that's blues, or jazz, hip hop or mixing. Maybe marching band is a part of it, but taught like it's taught in certain areas of the south. Musical history is important, but teach them that 200-300 years ago, beautiful music wasn't only coming from Germany and Italy, but from their own ancestors in the fields in the South.

Hell, maybe I'm way off base, and perhaps they don't want any of that and do just want the white European music, but talk to the community about what THEY would like from music programs, rather than what administrators think they're supposed to teach when it comes to music. I believe some schools (most likely magnet programs) have done this, but it shouldn't require a magnet program to teach kids at a predominantly black school the beauty of the art and music that is part of their own culture.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-23, 18:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yes and no. No, I don't think it's throwing the money away. But yes, you are correct that I think that the money wouldn't be well spent...at least in the way that you favor spending (i.e., give them traditional orchestra/band instruments, and someone to teach them traditional orchestra/marching band music, and watch it happen). It should not be a matter of orchestra/marching band or nothing, especially when it comes to predominantly black schools/communities.

Change what/how they're being taught music. Teach them music that resonates with their community, their upbringing, their history. Maybe that's blues, or jazz, hip hop or mixing. Maybe marching band is a part of it, but taught like it's taught in certain areas of the south. Musical history is important, but teach them that 200-300 years ago, beautiful music wasn't only coming from Germany and Italy, but from their own ancestors in the fields in the South.

Hell, maybe I'm way off base, and perhaps they don't want any of that and do just want the white European music, but talk to the community about what THEY would like from music programs, rather than what administrators think they're supposed to teach when it comes to music. I believe some schools (most likely magnet programs) have done this, but it shouldn't require a magnet program to teach kids at a predominantly black school the beauty of the art and music that is part of their own culture.

I think when they're young there is only certain ways and things you can team them. I think at first you need to teach the fundamentals. Blocking and tackling. You don't get into the double reverse pass till freshman or sophomore year. But I quit the trombone in 7th grade. What would I know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-23, 18:49

Then donate some money already. No one is stopping you, Dwags. Just don't force me through the state to pay for your social experiment fetishes.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-05-23, 18:50

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think when they're young there is only certain ways and things you can team them. I think at first you need to teach the fundamentals. Blocking and tackling. You don't get into the double reverse pass till freshman or sophomore year. But I quit the trombone in 7th grade. What would I know.
I guess I'd been thinking of it in terms of high school all along, so perhaps that led to the disconnect somewhat. I think I mentioned "grade school" as a generalization, thinking of that as K-12, but figuring that they don't start passing out instruments until high school, when you can take that kind of thing as electives. But my elementary and middle school were Flint city schools, so maybe that just highlights the underfunded urban public school systems.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-23, 18:58

Dwags, here...

Hungry For Music
Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation
Little Kids Rock
Fender Music Foundation
VH1 Save The Music Foundation
Children's Music Fund
Collectibles With Causes
Hamilton Music Collective
The Harmony Fund

Here's some voluntary ways to enact your vision without using the state to force others to pay for your vision.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-23, 19:00

The one I used in middle school was through Marshall Music (mid 90s).

Elderly does something similar, too, I believe.

Pretty sure this is the one I went through...

Charity Music Of Michigan

But I'm white so obviously my poorness didn't and still doesn't count.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-23, 19:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

I guess I'd been thinking of it in terms of high school all along, so perhaps that led to the disconnect somewhat. I think I mentioned "grade school" as a generalization, thinking of that as K-12, but figuring that they don't start passing out instruments until high school, when you can take that kind of thing as electives. But my elementary and middle school were Flint city schools, so maybe that just highlights the underfunded urban public school systems.

And all I am is frustrated by the fact the state will hold harmless some districts and fund them a shit ton more. From 13k to 7k. A Colorado study was done two years ago that found most effective districts spend roughly about 8600 per student. I don't know what their methodology was. But it studied Michigan and came up with the number.

Edit: I'm going by rules and funding I was dealing with ten years ago as a lackey administrator. It's most likely changed by now but I'm too tired to surf now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-23, 20:23

I wanted to add this to the Oh, Florida thread but has too much Binny-ness to it...

Florida neo-Nazi converts to Islam, kills roommates for not respecting religion

Christopher Brennan wrote:A Florida man living with fellow neo-Nazis said that he killed his roommates when he converted to Islam and they did not respect his new religion, according to police.

Devon Arthurs also allegedly held two customers and an employee of Tampa’s Green Planet Smoke Shop hostage with a pistol on Friday before surrendering and leading cops to the bodies of his former friends.

Jeremy Himmelman, 22, and Andrew Oneschuk, 18, were discovered dead of gunshot wounds to the upper body and head, police said.

Arthurs said that he and the pair had “shared a common neo-Nazi belief” but that he recently converted to Islam.

Looks like a young Dwags...
The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 Tampa23n-1-web
The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 3742235224

Florida..
The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 345afd1df5
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-24, 22:19

Portland Burrito Spot Shutters Amid Claims of Cultural Appropriation

Mattie John Bamman, Eater Portland wrote:Just shortly after WWeek announced Kooks Burritos — a small burrito pop-up with events at the Tight Tacos food cart in Southeast — the operation has shuttered and deleted much of its online presence. The closure coincides with public outrage at what some are calling the restaurant’s “appropriation” of another culture’s “intellectual property.”

Speaking with WWeek, Kooks Burritos owners Kali Wilgus and Liz "LC" Connelly said they developed their menus in part by picking “the brains of every tortilla lady there [Puerto Nuevo, Mexico] in the worst broken Spanish ever,” and this description of its research practices as well as other comments within the article spurred editorials and debates across the internet.

The Mic news website bought national attention to Kooks Burritos with its coverage, titled, “These white cooks bragged about stealing recipes from Mexico to start a Portland business.” It reads, “The problem, of course, is that it's unclear whether the Mexican women who handed over their recipes ever got anything in return.”

Today, the Merc released its coverage, beginning with the claim, “Portland has an appropriation problem.” The article continues:

Week after week people of color in Portland bear witness to the hijacking of their cultures. Several of the most successful businesses in this town have been birthed as a result of curious white people going to a foreign country. Now don’t get me wrong: cultural customs are meant to be shared. However, that’s not what happens in this city.

And a spreadsheet featuring “white-owned appropriative restaurants” in Portland has also emerged. It includes several of the most popular restaurants in the city, with recommendations for nearby alternatives owned by people of color.

In recent years, the topic of cultural appropriation in food has been widely discussed in America, and the latest development shows some Portland restaurateurs and local residents continue to be at odds. The Kooks Burritos coverage by WWeek now has nearly 500 comments, and there are few signs a consensus will be reached.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-24, 22:23

As white guys, should we be mad any time people of color open up a Burger joint or a Pizza Place?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-24, 22:29

Cameron wrote:As white guys, should we be mad any time people of color open up a Burger joint or a Pizza Place?

I think whites can't be culturally appropriated. I dunno if they got around to inserting the "power structure" caveat into the definition like they've done with the word 'racism'.

It's hard to keep up with it all.

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-25, 00:35

If we start a thread dedicated to cultural appropriation, will it just be me and you arguing with Roc? I think we've got enough of that going already, but I definitely have thoughts about cultural appropriation.
SPOILER:
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 01:03

Cameron wrote:If we start a thread dedicated to cultural appropriation, will it just be me and you arguing with Roc? I think we've got enough of that going already, but I definitely have thoughts about cultural appropriation.
SPOILER:

Probably. But it's not like this place is overwhelmed with content. A new thread couldn't hurt. I'd play for sure.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 03:38

If you remember one of the Antifa boys from The Battle Of Berkeley III...

The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 Fdssfda

Well, it caught up with him...

Berkeley: College professor arrested as bike lock assault suspect

George Kelly wrote:BERKELEY — A former Diablo Valley College professor was in custody Wednesday evening after his arrest Wednesday afternoon in Oakland, according to county records.

Eric Clanton, 28, was being held on $200,000 bail after he was booked into Berkeley City Jail Wednesday evening. He was arrested on suspicion of use of a firearm during a felony with an enhancement clause and assault with a non-firearm deadly weapon.

My condolences, Wags.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-25, 07:35

fragile republican snowflake body slams some mainstream media nerd.... The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 502811600

welcome to the sexual predator's violent America where white people are suddenly disenfranchised. Rolling Eyes

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 08:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:fragile republican snowflake body slams some mainstream media nerd.....The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 502811600

welcome to the sexual predator's violent America where white people are suddenly disenfranchised. Rolling Eyes

We have a couple guys who celebrate that kind of shit on here. Bigger pussy you are the more you "get behind" that type of stuff. Right behind it. JMO
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-25, 09:10

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:fragile republican snowflake body slams some mainstream media nerd.....The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 502811600

We have a couple guys who celebrate that kind of shit on here. Bigger pussy you are the more you "get behind" that type of stuff. Right behind it. JMO
I bet the people who celebrate violence are upset when "fragile liberal snowflakes" walk out on a graduation speech..

ya know, kinda like being outraged when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee during the national anthem but cheer the police when they murder an unarmed black kid.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 11:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

I bet the people who celebrate violence are upset when "fragile liberal snowflakes" walk out on a graduation speech..

ya know, kinda like being outraged when Colin Kaepernick takes a knee during the national anthem but cheer the police when they murder an unarmed black kid.

When those kids walked out at ND I was so outraged, I was hoping some wine toting girl got punched and then kicked.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-25, 11:12

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I bet the people who celebrate violence are upset when "fragile liberal snowflakes" walk out on a graduation speech..

When those kids walked out at ND I was so outraged, I was hoping some wine toting girl got punched and then kicked.  
I have this one religious right wing friend who is a big supporter of the sexual predator.. he's always texting me (he's retired and, presumably, bored)...

the other day he was telling me that our society needs to be more civil.. (yes - coming from someone who supports a president that advocates for violence on the media and brags about sexually assaulting women)...

I'm not making this up - here is someone who voted for and supports the sexual predator and he was whining about people who walk out of a graduation speech..   he's simply impervious to reality.

oh - and he's very religious - seriously. The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 2599972566

I do admit, though, that I enjoy needling at him via text..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-05-25, 11:14

Decades of the cultural war on the 'liberal' media has taken a turn for the worse.

We are to the point where the right is defending physical assault on journalists.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-25, 11:21

steveschneider wrote:Decades of the cultural war on the 'liberal' media has taken a turn for the worse.

We are to the point where the right is defending physical assault on journalists.
their contempt for America is also rooted in how absolutely angry they are that a smart, successful black man occupied the White House for 8 years with class, integrity and respect for humanity.

and not only does his success while President stir their hatred even more, but so does his popularity and the fact that they know they'll never be him.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-05-25, 11:43

So the leaker-in-chief and guy who stiffed numerous contractors vows to crack down on leaks and chastise NATO for not paying their fair share?

Just when your didn't think it was possible to get any better...

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2017-05-25, 11:46; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 11:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Decades of the cultural war on the 'liberal' media has taken a turn for the worse.

their contempt for America is also rooted in how absolutely angry they are that a smart, successful black man occupied the White House for 8 years with class, integrity and respect for humanity.

and not only does his success while President stir their hatred even more, but so does his popularity and the fact that they know they'll never be him.

Bullseye.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-05-25, 12:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

What about the orange buffoon calling the media the enemy of the American people?

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-25, 12:27

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:their contempt for America is also rooted in how absolutely angry they are that a smart, successful black man occupied the White House for 8 years with class, integrity and respect for humanity.

What about the orange buffoon calling the media the enemy of the American people?

well, of course that fuels their hate and rage.. they've been seething since 2008 - it's just now starting to bubble over.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 15:19

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I bet the people who celebrate violence are upset when "fragile liberal snowflakes" walk out on a graduation speech..

When those kids walked out at ND I was so outraged, I was hoping some wine toting bottle throwing girl got punched and then kicked.  

Sheesh, at least be honest. And you were an school administrator? Figures, with the state that whole thing is in... no wonder suburban white kids are such entitled brats. Their parents and their schools raise them with this attitude.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-05-25, 15:52

I don't spend a ton of my time feeling bad for Sean spicer but that story about him not being invited to meet the pope is fucking cold as hell. Seems like trump is just a massive dickhead.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 15:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't spend a ton of my time feeling bad for Sean spicer but that story about him not being invited to meet the pope is fucking cold as hell. Seems like trump is just a massive dickhead.

Maybe Sean was an alter boy as a child... if so, maybe Trump is more compassionate than we give him credit for.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-05-25, 15:59

xsanguine wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don't spend a ton of my time feeling bad for Sean spicer but that story about him not being invited to meet the pope is fucking cold as hell. Seems like trump is just a massive dickhead.

Maybe Sean was an alter boy as a child... if so, maybe Trump is more compassionate than we give him credit for.

Don't know, but dude is super super catholic. Not bringing him along for that's meeting is awful.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 16:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Don't know, but dude is super super catholic. Not bringing him along for that's meeting is awful.

Would you wanna give this guy flashbacks?

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 16:09

Actually, I take that back. That's not cool to joke about. (being serious)
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-25, 16:18

The lines you draw for self censorship are weird as hell.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 16:20

Rocinante wrote:The lines you draw for self censorship are weird as hell.

I'm not a savage.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-25, 16:47

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:The lines you draw for self censorship are weird as hell.

I'm not a savage.

Lol. At least you have a good sense of humor man.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 16:59

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

I'm not a savage.

Lol. At least you have a good sense of humor man.

I wouldn't be here as long as I have if I didn't. The political hodge podge thread - Page 14 55953254
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-26, 01:57

Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 03:37

Students berate professor who refused to participate in no-whites ‘Day of Absence’

Bradford Richardson, Washington Times wrote:Over the last 72 hours, students have taken over a small liberal arts college in Washington state, and only one adult has tried to stop them.
Students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, who filmed their exploits and posted the videos on social media, have occupied and barricaded the library, shouting down anyone who disagrees with them or shows insufficient passion for racial justice.
Biology professor Bret Weinstein was berated by dozens of students outside of his classroom Tuesday morning for refusing to participate in an event in which white people were invited to leave campus for a day. Now he says police have told him to hold his classes off campus due to safety concerns.
Things are “out of control at Evergreen,” he said.
“Police told me protesters stopped cars yesterday, demanding information about occupants,” Mr. Weinstein told The Washington Times. “They believe I was being sought. It appears that the campus has been under the effective control of protesters since 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Police are on lockdown, hamstrung by the college administration. Students, staff and faculty are not safe.”

MLK was murdered for fighting to end things like segregation so that entitled brats could show up 50 years later and fight to implement segregation.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-05-26, 09:27

Meanwhile Trumps has a leak issue directly tied to his mouth. A former National Security Advisor who is being investgated for monetary ties to Russia and Turkey while working for the campaign.

We have several officials including the AG, the aforementined NSA and even the President's son-in-law all forgetting about mentioning meetings with Russian officials.  

We have the daugher of the President who is also a credentialed member of the West Wing staff as a Presidential advisor lining up 50 copyright deals for her company(s) with China while the Chinese President was meeting with her father in FL.  She also got millions from the Saudis for her "charity" .

Here we have several pages about how tough white people have it n America.

Maybe Trump's win in Nov has already changed our American democracy forever.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next