Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck.....

3 posters

Go down

Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck..... Empty Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck.....

Post by Herbie Green 2017-04-27, 22:09

.....or is it just bad roster management?

After last season being overloaded at the wing and short on bodies in the front court, we are now in the exact opposite position. I realize he tried to get Smith and Elliott and Bowen is still a remote chance, but that is just recruiting to not land all your targets.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck..... Empty Re: Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck.....

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-27, 22:50

They are still working Herbie. I would expect them to land a backcourt/wing player, whether via grad transfer or otherwise. There is currently talk that a top 50 '18 kid, who is actually a '17 kid who wants to go to prep school for a year, is considering reclassifying to 2017. Probably a remote shot, but signs that they're still working.

The other thing is with Bridges coming back I think it opens up the type of player they can focus on a bit. Don't need a top grad transfer who scored 18 ppg last year (good luck getting one, considering he probably knows he's not going to start/boost his NBA stock). Likely need a guy who can defend and knock down the 3.

It would be great to get a true frosh because we will need bodies in '18/'19 but in reality not landing a G/wing this year is likely not going to be the difference in a potential championship run. It's insurance in case Langford or Cash get hurt, and/or McQuaid doesn't continue to develop or stay healthy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck..... Empty Re: Is Izzo again having incredibly bad luck.....

Post by Herbie Green 2017-04-28, 07:41

I agree he is going to land someone at least he better.  A grad transfer seems like the best bet to plug an immediate hole for one season.  I don't know what is out there at this point - hopefully someone that is not coming off a season ending ACL tear.  But I get the impression we have been farting around and/or waiting on Bowen too long.  MSU does have clout to have easily landed a 3-4 star over the last year but refused to do so.  It is not like any of these departures were unexpected.  Harris and Ellis graduated.

As for the criticalness, it seems like a lot depends on the assumption that Bridges will play the 3 almost exclusively.   Otherwise you are left with Ahrens, Langford, NcQuaid at the 2-3 which are not even enough bodies not counting ability.  Perhaps this is more Izzo's plan all along but I am not sure I agree as I think Bridges is more valuable at the 4 because then you don't get stuck playing two posts (often freshmen) against small teams
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-04-28, 09:23

I think if Bridges were gone, as anticipated, Bowen would be a part of the class. Hell, there's some feeling that right now he (and his 'camp') are the ones left holding the bag with nowhere to go, as none of their options are panning out and Creighton is looking like the only spot where he can get the minutes they want to showcase him for a possible one and done. There are some rumors that he reached back out to see if the door was still open a few weeks ago and MSU basically told him no, but that talks are ongoing again. I fail to see how the fit makes sense from his perspective, but if he wants to come here and play 15-20 min/game, come on down. Regardless, I think the plan all along was to land Bowen to replace Bridges on the wing, and then maybe fill another spot with an Elliott type of guy.

I don't know how much you're going to see of Bridges at the 4. Too many big bodies to put him back there, and I have a suspicion that Izzo intends to do as much right by the kid as he can, meaning he's going to help him prep for the NBA. Miles has said he wants to get better with his ball handling, shooting and Defense. I assume that means he's going to play mostly 3 with perhaps some 2 minutes.

Playing two posts - yeah, I hear that but I don't think Jaren Jackson plays with his back to the basket, and guys like Schilling and Goins (and Carter?) can play high and set ball screens. Not sure I would expect to see Tillmon and Ward on the floor at the same time, but who knows, I ain't that smart.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-04-28, 10:38

Lets say we are playing UM.  Wouldn't you rather have Bridges on DJ Wilson than any other big?  I guess I have forgot how well Schilling can defend the perimeter and don't know what the freshmen can do.  But then you have to also factor in what that extra big will do on offense vs another guard.  I realize I am nitpicking a projected top 5 team here but I can already see this issue.  What I don't want to read again after an injury in the backcourt is "what dumb luck, who could have possibly seen this coming".  

With Bowen a lot really does seem to depend on Bridges.  But if we are short on wings as I suggest there should be plenty of time available.  He could just move to the 2 when Bridges is at 3.  Unless he thinks he couldn't beat out Langford - which I think could actually be the case or at the least cut into his minutes.  Otherwise he is just the kind of player we need next season.  A combo guard like Smith would be even more ideal because now you have a wing that provides additional insurance at pg for injury or to back up cash next year if Loyer isn't ready.  Or for this year to put Tum Tum permanently on the bench.  Just kidding.  Not really
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-28, 10:43

DJ will be playing for the Lakers next year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-04-30, 19:13

LooseGoose wrote:DJ will be playing for the Lakers next year.

Lol, I knew someone would latch on to that. Might want to eun back to Beomont until you garner the intellectual sports maturity to hang here.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-04-30, 19:45

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:DJ will be playing for the Lakers next year.

Lol, I knew someone would latch on to that. Might want to eun back to Beomont until you garner the intellectual sports maturity to hang here.
The premium posts come naturally to you don't they?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2018-04-01, 00:33

But hey, what do I know?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-04-02, 00:05

hi herbie
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down