Oh, Michigan

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 14:42

Michigan woman calls 911 to help kill spider

I hope more of this story surfaces because the details in the link are a thinly spun web information.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 17216
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Wed 11 Apr 2018 - 14:43

Floyd Robertson wrote:Michigan woman calls 911 to help kill spider

I hope more of this story surfaces because the details in the link are a thinly spun web information.
this story has legs.

avatar
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 29794
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by CORNER BLITZ on Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 18:37

think i saw a thread on this somewhere but can't find it now so I'll post it here

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/13/michigan-man-charged-shooting-teen-who-knocked-door-ask-directions/516576002/

Everyone calling the shooter racist...it was 100000% his wife yelling and causing a scene who is probably the racist one and homeboy was trying to placate his wife
avatar
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6479
Join date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 18:41

CORNER BLITZ wrote:think i saw a thread on this somewhere but can't find it now so I'll post it here

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/13/michigan-man-charged-shooting-teen-who-knocked-door-ask-directions/516576002/

Everyone calling the shooter racist...it was 100000% his wife yelling and causing a scene who is probably the racist one and homeboy was trying to placate his wife

Possibly. But incredibly stupid to shoot at someone running away.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by CORNER BLITZ on Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 18:54

not saying he's not an idiot and going to jail
avatar
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6479
Join date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 18:56

CORNER BLITZ wrote:think i saw a thread on this somewhere but can't find it now so I'll post it here

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/13/michigan-man-charged-shooting-teen-who-knocked-door-ask-directions/516576002/

Everyone calling the shooter racist...it was 100000% his wife yelling and causing a scene who is probably the racist one and homeboy was trying to placate his wife
I’m not sure how many husbands and wives you know but it’s probably both....
avatar
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 19176
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 34
Location : Right behind you

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Da Mayor on Sat 14 Apr 2018 - 22:53

Floyd Robertson wrote:Michigan woman calls 911 to help kill spider

I hope more of this story surfaces because the details in the link are a thinly spun web information.

And yet they want equal pay.
avatar
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Posts : 1359
Join date : 2016-12-28

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Sun 15 Apr 2018 - 13:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Michigan woman calls 911 to help kill spider

I hope more of this story surfaces because the details in the link are a thinly spun web information.
this story has legs.


Haven’t seen anything more about this. Someone must’ve killed the story.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by CORNER BLITZ on Mon 16 Apr 2018 - 11:52

avatar
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6479
Join date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Floyd Robertson on Mon 16 Apr 2018 - 11:57


Might as well have named it Kaboom!!!
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 17216
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 16 Apr 2018 - 12:53



Someone needs a hug.
avatar
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 16895
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Wed 9 May 2018 - 14:10

Situations like these are interesting AF to me. Mods, I have no desire to see this discussion devolve into a Swill-style verbal war, so if things get testy, feel free to move, lock or delete it.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/2018/05/08/residents-outraged-neighbors-sign-habit/589190002/
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Clarett's Folly on Wed 9 May 2018 - 15:36

tGreenWay wrote:Situations like these are interesting AF to me. Mods, I have no desire to see this discussion devolve into a Swill-style verbal war, so if things get testy, feel free to move, lock or delete it.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/2018/05/08/residents-outraged-neighbors-sign-habit/589190002/

Crazy-ass homeowner wrote:
"Someone from the city was here and they gave me the code," he said. "My signs can't be over four feet tall or more than four square feet. This one here (he touches one close to his porch) is 47 inches — one inch below code."

Well, I gotta hand it to him he knows how to make his unique brand of crazy compatible with the ordinances of the local municipality.
avatar
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3577
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 15:55

tGreenWay wrote:Situations like these are interesting AF to me. Mods, I have no desire to see this discussion devolve into a Swill-style verbal war, so if things get testy, feel free to move, lock or delete it.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/2018/05/08/residents-outraged-neighbors-sign-habit/589190002/

Simple for me, you either believe in free speech or you don't.

Hate speech is made up shit to control others and limit their speech. If you don't like what someone is saying walk away and ostracize them, don't imprison them.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Wed 9 May 2018 - 16:26

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Situations like these are interesting AF to me. Mods, I have no desire to see this discussion devolve into a Swill-style verbal war, so if things get testy, feel free to move, lock or delete it.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/2018/05/08/residents-outraged-neighbors-sign-habit/589190002/

Simple for me, you either believe in free speech or you don't.

Hate speech is made up shit to control others and limit their speech. If you don't like what someone is saying walk away and ostracize them, don't imprison them.

I agree with you, but I do feel an enormous amount of sympathy for the other homeowners. The comment about his signs being hate speech was ridiculous. The person who made it is either just that dumb or made the comment as a way to support an argument to have the signs removed. Either way, the guys is nuts and those poor people probably really will have a much more difficult time selling their properties.

Edit: I should clarify that I agree the comment about this being hate speech is ridonkulous, but I disagree with your premise that all hate speech is made up to silence others.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:25

tGreenWay wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Simple for me, you either believe in free speech or you don't.

Hate speech is made up shit to control others and limit their speech. If you don't like what someone is saying walk away and ostracize them, don't imprison them.

I agree with you, but I do feel an enormous amount of sympathy for the other homeowners. The comment about his signs being hate speech was ridiculous. The person who made it is either just that dumb or made the comment as a way to support an argument to have the signs removed. Either way, the guys is nuts and those poor people probably really will have a much more difficult time selling their properties.

Edit: I should clarify that I agree the comment about this being hate speech is ridonkulous, but I disagree with your premise that all hate speech is made up to silence others.

I agree that there is hateful speech. My issue is with criminalizing speech, which is what the various hate speech laws are intended to do. When you criminalize something you are attempting to suppress/stop it....thus my statement about the term being used to silence others.

avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:34

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I agree with you, but I do feel an enormous amount of sympathy for the other homeowners. The comment about his signs being hate speech was ridiculous. The person who made it is either just that dumb or made the comment as a way to support an argument to have the signs removed. Either way, the guys is nuts and those poor people probably really will have a much more difficult time selling their properties.

Edit: I should clarify that I agree the comment about this being hate speech is ridonkulous, but I disagree with your premise that all hate speech is made up to silence others.

I agree that there is hateful speech. My issue is with criminalizing speech, which is what the various hate speech laws are intended to do. When you criminalize something you are attempting to suppress/stop it....thus my statement about the term being used to silence others.


avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Rocinante on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:37

LooseGoose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I agree with you, but I do feel an enormous amount of sympathy for the other homeowners. The comment about his signs being hate speech was ridiculous. The person who made it is either just that dumb or made the comment as a way to support an argument to have the signs removed. Either way, the guys is nuts and those poor people probably really will have a much more difficult time selling their properties.

Edit: I should clarify that I agree the comment about this being hate speech is ridonkulous, but I disagree with your premise that all hate speech is made up to silence others.

I agree that there is hateful speech. My issue is with criminalizing speech, which is what the various hate speech laws are intended to do. When you criminalize something you are attempting to suppress/stop it....thus my statement about the term being used to silence others.


What about speech that incites violence or dehumanizes a group of people so that violence against them is less likely to be abhorrent? There is no line?
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14578
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Rocinante on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:39

What if someone shouted “he has a gun!!” and people start scattering and one gets hit by a car. Does that person have no responsibility?
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14578
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Rocinante on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:39

All freedoms have limits in a society. We decide where that limit is.
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14578
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Rocinante on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:40

And no, I don’t think this person’s signs cross any lines. But the fact that she’s an elected official is pretty hilarious.
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14578
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:42

avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20326
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Welcome to the Revolution

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:45

Rocinante wrote:What if someone shouted “he has a gun!!” and people start scattering and one gets hit by a car. Does that person have no responsibility?

I don't think that falls into hate speech.   It's much closer to the "Fire" in a crowded theater example of dangerous speech.   That's been out there as a crime since Schenk vs US in 1919.  Do we need to add more crimes?


Bump - I guess Schenk was overturned long ago. I didn't know that.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-using-the-fire-in-a-crowded-theater-quote/264449/


Last edited by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:49; edited 1 time in total
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:47

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I agree that there is hateful speech. My issue is with criminalizing speech, which is what the various hate speech laws are intended to do. When you criminalize something you are attempting to suppress/stop it....thus my statement about the term being used to silence others.


What about speech that incites violence or dehumanizes a group of people so that violence against them is less likely to be abhorrent? There is no line?

Again, if a prosecutor wants to try that under a "dangerous speech" prosecution, I say go for it - BUT the line has to be drawn toward allowing most speech.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Wed 9 May 2018 - 19:47

Rocinante wrote:And no, I don’t think this person’s signs cross any lines. But the fact that she’s an elected official is pretty hilarious.

They're both idiots.

But idiocy is not a crime.
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by y2kMgrad on Mon 14 May 2018 - 21:01

avatar
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by loogoldham on Fri 18 May 2018 - 2:22

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annaborges/most-popular-sex-toys?utm_term=.cgw2DrOeX#.hwplXkK09

Most popular sex toys by state ....

dildo, dildo, dildo, etc. ....// ...

MI: Fleshlight ...

dildo, dildo, dildo ...
avatar
loogoldham
Spartiate

Posts : 143
Join date : 2016-08-29

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Floyd Robertson on Fri 18 May 2018 - 6:13

loogoldham wrote:https://www.buzzfeed.com/annaborges/most-popular-sex-toys?utm_term=.cgw2DrOeX#.hwplXkK09

Most popular sex toys by state ....

dildo, dildo, dildo, etc. ....// ...

MI: Fleshlight ...

dildo, dildo, dildo ...

You didn't scroll far enough to see Rhode Island and D.C., eh?



Also, TIL: I'm way out of touch about the state of the sex toy offerings.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 17216
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by loogoldham on Sun 20 May 2018 - 22:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:
loogoldham wrote:https://www.buzzfeed.com/annaborges/most-popular-sex-toys?utm_term=.cgw2DrOeX#.hwplXkK09

Most popular sex toys by state ....

dildo, dildo, dildo, etc. ....// ...

MI: Fleshlight ...

dildo, dildo, dildo ...

You didn't scroll far enough to see Rhode Island and D.C., eh?



Also, TIL: I'm way out of touch about the state of the sex toy offerings.

what if those two states got together!!
avatar
loogoldham
Spartiate

Posts : 143
Join date : 2016-08-29

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Fri 25 May 2018 - 13:56

Some people just insist on dying.

https://on.freep.com/2IKrk4J
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by LooseGoose on Thu 9 Aug 2018 - 19:32

avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 41791
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 98
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by tGreenWay on Wed 22 Aug 2018 - 17:23

Impatient highway biker drives his motorcycle straight into wet concrete, flees the scene.
https://on.lsj.com/2BvGmbm
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 27928
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Floyd Robertson on Thu 23 Aug 2018 - 6:32

Michigan cop who used stun gun on man holding child suspended for 30 days

An argument over a crock pot leads a cop to tase a man holding a baby. Well done, Westland.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 17216
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Oh, Michigan

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum