Craft beer

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Craft beer

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-05-01, 21:24

The Pantry wrote:Guy at my local beer store was excited to tell me they got a few cases from Kona Brewing Co.  He was selling them by the bottle to his regulars so everyone could try them.  Bought 4 different:  Fire Rock, Koko Brown, Big Wave & Longboard.

Have only tried Fire Rock & Koko so far.  Fire Rock (pale ale) was pretty good but almost dead flat.  Koko is weird...coconut is not something that belongs in beer IMO.  It is also almost dead flat.

Looking at the labels it's obvious 'Kona Brewing Company' is mostly a marketing ploy.  Yes, they have a brewery in Hawaii but they also have breweries in Oregon, Washington, and New Hampshire.  Will never buy the stuff again.

I'm not much of a craft beer guy. I'm definitely more of a liquor guy at the current time. But what is your store? I definitely have some opinions about the local places. :)
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Townie on 2014-05-01, 21:32

Relatively unknown as a brewing city (well, except if you consider before Prohibition) Cincinnati has a big brewing renaissance going on right now.

My two favorite breweries here are: Rhinegeist and MadTree. Although, Rivertown has the Roebling Porter which is probably my favorite porter of all time.

MadTree pretty much makes a hoppy ______. Whatever you're looking for they add hops. That's not my cup of tea, but they make enough brews and are constantly rotating taps and experimenting, that I'm completely sold on it. I also really like their Kolsch called Lift.

Rhinegeist just makes some great beers. Their Cougar is a great blond ale.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-05-01, 21:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I'm not much of a craft beer guy. I'm definitely more of a liquor guy at the current time. But what is your store? I definitely have some opinions about the local places. :)
17 & Deq. Been there?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-01, 21:56

The Pantry wrote:Guy at my local beer store was excited to tell me they got a few cases from Kona Brewing Co. He was selling them by the bottle to his regulars so everyone could try them. Bought 4 different: Fire Rock, Koko Brown, Big Wave & Longboard.

Have only tried Fire Rock & Koko so far. Fire Rock (pale ale) was pretty good but almost dead flat. Koko is weird...coconut is not something that belongs in beer IMO. It is also almost dead flat.

Looking at the labels it's obvious 'Kona Brewing Company' is mostly a marketing ploy. Yes, they have a brewery in Hawaii but they also have breweries in Oregon, Washington, and New Hampshire. Will never buy the stuff again.

Kona had been sold at the grocery store sounds here for a while , they never impressed me. Thought they were a macro brew trying to disguise themselves as a micro.
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2014-05-01, 23:40

The Pantry wrote:
17 & Deq.  Been there?

Absolutely. You deal with the old man or the son? I'm not sure who to believe. Old man promised me they weren't getting any more Hopslam and sold me into some other shit that was turrible.

I don't trust my people.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-05-01, 23:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Absolutely. You deal with the old man or the son? I'm not sure who to believe. Old man promised me they weren't getting any more Hopslam and sold me into some other shit that was turrible.

I don't trust my people.
Both. They only got two cases of Hopslam this year but saved one for me
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tKid on 2014-05-02, 10:04

Totally agree on Kona. I think they are mediocre at best and I don't really understand the hype.
tKid
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-05-02, 10:16

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:• Bell’s Oberon
• Bell’s Winter White
• Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
• Bell’s Amber Ale
• Bell’s Oktoberfest
• Bell’s Third Coast
• Bell’s Hopslam
• Atwater Dirty Blonde
• Atwater Decadent Chocolate
• Atwater Vanilla Java Porter
• Atwater Detroit Pale Ale
• Motor City Ghettoblaster
• Warsteiner
• Angry Orchard Cider
• Magic Hat No. 9
• Magic Hat IPA
• Goose Island 312
• New Belgium Fat Tire
• New Holland Mad Hatter IPA
• Founder’s Centennial IPA
• Founder’s Nitro Pale Ale
• Founder’s Breakfast Stout
• Founder’s Imperial Stout
• Founders Dirty Bastard
• Founder’s All Day IPA
• Founder’s Porter
• Short’s Bellaire Brown
• Short’s Magician
• Short’s Soft Parade
• Short’s Good Humans
• Short’s Goodnight Bodacious
• Short’s Huma Lupa Licious
• Greenbush Anger
• Greenbush Distorter
• Greenbush Jadis
• Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
• Sierra Nevada Torpedo
• Arbor Mr. Delicious
• Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA
• Blue Point Brewing Hoptical Illusion
• Kuhnhenn DRIPA
• Kuhnhenn Penetration Porter
• Kuhnhenn Hefeweizen
• Kuhnhenn American IPA
• Kuhnhenn American Imperial Stout
• Kuhnhenn Oktoberfest
• Kuhnhenn Sully’s Kolsch
• Kuhnhenn Forbidden IPA
• Kuhnhenn Looney Kuhnie
• Sam Adams Boston Lager
• Sam Adams Oktoberfest
• Sam Adams Rebel IPA
• Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
• Dragonmead Final Absolution
• Dragonmead Erik the Red
• Dragonmead Inquisition
• Dragonmead Corktown Red
• WAB Raspberry Blonde
• Griffin Claw Raggedy Ass
• Hacker-Pschorr Weiss
• Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest
• Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
• Hopulent IPA
• Detroit Beer Company Begian Dubbel
• Detroit Beer Company Grand Slam Belgian Trippel
• Great Lakes Blackout Stout
• Great Lakes Eliot Ness
• Great Lakes Burning River
• Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
• Rochester Mills Milkshake Stout
• Rochester Mills Rochester Red
• Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA
• West Coast IPA
No Arcadia? Cereal Killer, Hop Rocket, Hopmouth, Imperial Stout, Shipwreck porter, Sky High Rye, etc.- a lot of good options from them. Also if you like Crooked Tree try and find a double crooked tree. Those are awesome.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State on 2014-05-02, 10:39

Cool Runnings wrote:
No Arcadia? Cereal Killer, Hop Rocket, Hopmouth, Imperial Stout, Shipwreck porter, Sky High Rye, etc.- a lot of good options from them. Also if you like Crooked Tree try and find a double crooked tree. Those are awesome.

Reppin' Arcadia and Dark Horse. A fellow Calhoun County boy?
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-05-02, 10:59

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:

Reppin' Arcadia and Dark Horse. A fellow Calhoun County boy?
Nah just an oakland countier who drinks a lot of Michigan beer. Arcadia is one of my favorite breweries. Cereal Killer and Hop Rocket are top notch and Sky High Rye is a go-to casual brew. I really like that their mainstays come in cans as well.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State on 2014-05-02, 11:04

Cool Runnings wrote:
Nah just an oakland countier who drinks a lot of Michigan beer. Arcadia is one of my favorite breweries. Cereal Killer and Hop Rocket are top notch and Sky High Rye is a go-to casual brew. I really like that their mainstays come in cans as well.

Gotcha. I love trying stuff from all over the state, but I always try to stick to my roots and pickup some Dark Horse too. Not hard since they make some damn good stuff. Their pizza is awesome too.
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan95 on 2014-05-02, 11:06

Recently tried the BA Red Rye at Founders. It may be my favorite beer
Spartan95
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-02, 11:08

I had the Red Rye on tap last week. It was delicious. I like the red rye's when they can be found, not a lot of places seem to do them.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Stone on 2014-05-02, 11:10

I'm really into New Holland Brewery for some reason these days. It is art in fermented form!
Keith Stone
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-05-02, 11:20

I moved away from Michigan almost 5 years ago now...does Arbor Brewing company make anything good ? Everything I have had has been meh.
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-05-02, 11:44

GirbaudJeans wrote:I moved away from Michigan almost 5 years ago now...does Arbor Brewing company make anything good ?  Everything I have had has been meh.
Most beers I've had from them were unremarkable but I do like the Phat Abbot dubbel and tripel.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-05-04, 21:00

A heads-up for anyone in the Warren area.  Rumor has it Lazybones Smokehouse is taking over the kitchen at Dragonmead Brewery (696 service drive, west of Groesbeck) starting this week.  They've been offering food there on Tuesday and Saturday for a while but it sounds like they will be doing it full time now.

Dragonmead
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin on 2014-05-05, 16:59

InTenSity wrote:

Kona had been sold at the grocery store sounds here for a while , they never impressed me. Thought they were a macro brew trying to disguise themselves as a micro.

Kona (along with Red Hook and a few other brands) are owned by a company called Craft Brewing Alliance, which is owned partially by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
I'm pretty sure it is distributed through AB InBev.

Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by bulldogg on 2014-05-05, 19:53

Just cracked a Perrin Black growler. Got the Tigers on. Life is good.
bulldogg
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan_MJ on 2014-05-06, 15:24

Finally drank the Evil Twins. Was fairly impressed with the Imperial Biscotti Stout and Doughnut Break Porter. Found it in Birmingham. Pricey for a bomber but was good.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/80291/
Spartan_MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity on 2014-05-06, 15:29

Spartan_MJ wrote:Finally drank the Evil Twins.  Was fairly impressed with the Imperial Biscotti Stout and Doughnut Break Porter.  Found it in Birmingham.  Pricey for a bomber but was good.

:drool: 

Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

http://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

craft beer fair

Post by Green Note on 2014-05-06, 19:19

I saw sign regarding a Michigan Craft Beer festival. It did not read where or when but is sponsoring by Powers Brewing. My guess is Royal Oak.

Anyone have any information or going?
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-05-06, 19:26

Green Note wrote:I saw sign regarding a Michigan Craft Beer festival. It did not read where or when but is sponsoring by Powers Brewing. My guess is Royal Oak.

Anyone have any information or going?

I believe that is the one in Ypsilanti. I could be wrong
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note on 2014-05-06, 19:32

GirbaudJeans wrote:

I believe that is the one in Ypsilanti. I could be wrong

Sure no way to advertise. No info. on their website either.
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-05-06, 21:10

Stopped by the local store this evening and was treated to one of the few bottles of DOA IPA by Cerveceria Mexicana (Tecate) they have received so far.  Not at all what I was expecting...quite impressed.  Similar to Sierra Nevada Torpedo but a little more hoppy

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

AGT Rico Sauvin

Post by Spartan_MJ on 2014-05-18, 16:53

Highly recommend the Against the Grain Rico Sauvin for any hop heads... Really nice DIPA....

http://www.atgbrewery.com/Menu/Beer/2/Hop/1/Rico-Sauvin/203

Spartan_MJ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-18, 17:05

The Pantry wrote:Stopped by the local store this evening and was treated to one of the few bottles of DOA IPA by Cerveceria Mexicana (Tecate) they have received so far.  Not at all what I was expecting...quite impressed.  Similar to Sierra Nevada Torpedo but a little more hoppy

I must have gotten a bad batch. I didn't find doa good at all. I've stayed away from them ever since.
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer on 2014-05-18, 20:06

Went to Black Lotus last night. Tried the double brown ale, Michigan wheat, Sa-sunshine (or wtf it was called), Lion Stout ...good stuff

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2014-05-18, 20:11

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Kona (along with Red Hook and a few other brands) are owned by a company called Craft Brewing Alliance, which is owned partially by Anheuser-Busch InBev.
I'm pretty sure it is distributed through AB InBev.

Bought a six of Longboard at Horrocks not too long ago. It brought the skunk with it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin on 2014-05-19, 09:57

I enjoyed a few 5 lizards on the patio yesterday afternoon. Might be my favorite warm weather beer at the moment.

Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-19, 10:06

I'm worried that Publix has decided to stop selling craft beer. They haven't really had a great selection, but it was decent. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed they aren't restocking the Dales IPA, any of the DFH, Bells, and a couple others. They do seem to be stuck with a lot of Kona, Goose island, Magic Hat, Red Hook and Fat Tire. I'm assuming they allowed the distributor to select the beers instead of the consumer, now they are stuck with, what I consider, to be corporate craft.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-05-19, 10:07

Spartan_MJ wrote:Finally drank the Evil Twins.  Was fairly impressed with the Imperial Biscotti Stout and Doughnut Break Porter.  Found it in Birmingham.  Pricey for a bomber but was good.

I had Evil Twin's Molotov Cocktail last night. 13% imperial IPA. It's a doozy. Also recently tried Evil Twin's Freudian Slip barleywine although that one was a bit disappointing.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2014-05-19, 10:10

When I think of craft beer, all I can think of is those douche bags in the Sam Adams commercials who spend an hour in front of a mirror trying to create a look that screams "I need attention". Then they tell me how its now on the map for them. Ok, super alt look dude.....
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Draymond on 2014-05-19, 11:33

Phil McCrackin wrote:I enjoyed a few 5 lizards on the patio yesterday afternoon. Might be my favorite warm weather beer at the moment.

I enjoy those too. Can't drink them every night, but they're good for something different.
Dr Draymond
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartanic on 2014-05-19, 12:43

I am a big fan of Perrin and their grapefruit IPA. Nice summer beer. I was at a local establishment the other day and they didnt' have the Perrin, but they had a Grapefruit IPA from Stone Brewing called Stochasticity Project. Damn good!
Spartanic
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2014-05-19, 12:45

InTenSity wrote:I'm worried that Publix has decided to stop selling craft beer. They haven't really had a great selection, but it was decent. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed they aren't restocking the Dales IPA, any of the DFH, Bells, and a couple others. They do seem to be stuck with a lot of Kona, Goose island, Magic Hat, Red Hook and Fat Tire. I'm assuming they allowed the distributor to select the beers instead of the consumer, now they are stuck with, what I consider, to be corporate craft.

They had a pretty good selection at the Longboat Key store. They also sell single bottles there too, which is a bonus.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-05-19, 13:06

InTenSity wrote:I'm worried that Publix has decided to stop selling craft beer. They haven't really had a great selection, but it was decent. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed they aren't restocking the Dales IPA, any of the DFH, Bells, and a couple others. They do seem to be stuck with a lot of Kona, Goose island, Magic Hat, Red Hook and Fat Tire. I'm assuming they allowed the distributor to select the beers instead of the consumer, now they are stuck with, what I consider, to be corporate craft.
Publix has always been hit or miss with what they carry and varies a lot from store to store. Mine has never had Bells, but still has Lagunitas and Sweetwater.

A couple of weeks ago in this thread we were talking about Florida breweries. I went to Total Wine yesterday for the first time in a couple of months and couldn't believe all of the Florida stuff they had. Either Florida breweries are distributing more or TW is buying more from them. Or maybe they figured that if the Florida legislature is going to make them sell to a distributor and then buy it back to sell in their own brewery that they might as well open up distribution to retailers. I used to only ever see some Cigar City and Florida Beer Company stuff (and with the latter only Sunset Ale and Southernmost Wheat). Yesterday, I saw 2-3 others from Florida Beer Company, plus a few from Miami Brewing Company and Due South that you had mentioned. On top of that, there were several from Tampa Bay Brewbus (which I know is brewed at Cigar City, but still it's under a different label), some Orlando organic brewery, and another one from Tampa that I'm drawing a blank on.

I like to support the Florida breweries, so I'm pretty happy to see so many new options to try.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-19, 15:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Publix has always been hit or miss with what they carry and varies a lot from store to store.  Mine has never had Bells, but still has Lagunitas and Sweetwater.

A couple of weeks ago in this thread we were talking about Florida breweries.  I went to Total Wine yesterday for the first time in a couple of months and couldn't believe all of the Florida stuff they had.  Either Florida breweries are distributing more or TW is buying more from them.  Or maybe they figured that if the Florida legislature is going to make them sell to a distributor and then buy it back to sell in their own brewery that they might as well open up distribution to retailers.  I used to only ever see some Cigar City and Florida Beer Company stuff (and with the latter only Sunset Ale and Southernmost Wheat).  Yesterday, I saw 2-3 others from Florida Beer Company, plus a few from Miami Brewing Company and Due South that you had mentioned.  On top of that, there were several from Tampa Bay Brewbus (which I know is brewed at Cigar City, but still it's under a different label), some Orlando organic brewery, and another one from Tampa that I'm drawing a blank on.

I like to support the Florida breweries, so I'm pretty happy to see so many new options to try.  
Did you get the Miami Vice or Due South? After getting 1 Cat 3 and 1 Cat 5, I haven't been able to find them anymore. I also haven't looked in a TW. I wasn't wholly impressed with the Miami Vice, but that's ok. If I liked coconut, that one sounded interesting. I haven't seen anything from Brewbus. I just want to get another 4 pack of the Cat 5 sometime soon.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-05-19, 16:54

InTenSity wrote:
Did you get the Miami Vice or Due South? After getting 1 Cat 3 and 1 Cat 5, I haven't been able to find them anymore. I also haven't looked in a TW. I wasn't wholly impressed with the Miami Vice, but that's ok. If I liked coconut, that one sounded interesting. I haven't seen anything from Brewbus. I just want to get another 4 pack of the Cat 5 sometime soon.
I'm not all that big on IPAs (I don't mind it, I just like other styles better), so I didn't get Miami Vice or Due South IPA. I don't think they had any of the Due South IPAs, though. I got the Gator Tail from Miami Brewing Company (brown beer which, along with stouts, is my favorite). Looking forward to comparing that to Cigar City's Maduro Brown, which is one of my go-to beers. Also got the UXO from Due South (an American Ale) and a single bottle of Hurricane Reef Pale Ale from Florida Beer Company just to try something different from them. I think I grabbed a single can of something from Tampa Bay Brewbus to try it, as well.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Munn Field on 2014-05-19, 21:29

Drinking a Hofbrau Maibock. One of my favorite spring traditions. I love American craft beer, but dang those Germans know what they're doing.
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum