Craft beer

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Craft beer

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-05-19, 22:31

I finally put in the effort and traded for Zombie Dust. Lives up to the hype for sure.
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor on 2014-05-19, 22:37

GirbaudJeans wrote:I finally put in the effort and traded for Zombie Dust.  Lives up to the hype for sure.

A buddy brought back a case recently. ZD is crazy good.
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Fingercuffs on 2014-05-20, 08:55

Dr Draymond wrote:

I enjoy those too.  Can't drink them every night, but they're good for something different.

Where are these available?
Fingercuffs
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-05-20, 08:59

GirbaudJeans wrote:I finally put in the effort and traded for Zombie Dust.  Lives up to the hype for sure.
What type of beer is ZD? Almost sounds like a belgian.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-06-03, 14:59

Looks like Publix is dropping the craft beer out of their stores. Very disappointed and might make me look to shop elsewhere. This would be about the 3rd or 4th item that they don't keep in stock anymore that I would buy.

That being said, I discovered a store that has a lot of craft beer, that isn't Total Wine. Problem is that their prices are easily $1-2 higher than they should be. I also think some of their inventory is getting older, but at least it is somewhere to go. 

Anyone recommend any good Red Rye IPA's? I'm starting to like those, the Founders is very good.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-06-03, 15:48

InTenSity wrote:Looks like Publix is dropping the craft beer out of their stores. Very disappointed and might make me look to shop elsewhere. This would be about the 3rd or 4th item that they don't keep in stock anymore that I would buy.

That being said, I discovered a store that has a lot of craft beer, that isn't Total Wine. Problem is that their prices are easily $1-2 higher than they should be. I also think some of their inventory is getting older, but at least it is somewhere to go. 

Anyone recommend any good Red Rye IPA's? I'm starting to like those, the Founders is very good.
Where is your new spot? There are a couple in/around the Gables (Stop & Shop usually has some things that I never see at Total Wine, but is a little pricey).

By the way, I realized I never gave thoughts on the new/different Florida beers that I found recently. These are the ones I tried:

- Due South's UXO - Not bad, I think it's technically a red ale, but stronger.
- Brew Bus's Boy Blue (or something like that) - A blueberry flavored ale. Not a fan. Seemed very watery and not much blueberry flavor. I like Sweetwater's Blue out of Atlanta as a lighter summer beer, and this was very plain by comparison.
- Florida Beer Company's Hurricane Reef Ale - Not bad. About like their Key West Sunset Ale or Southernmost Wheat in that it's good, but not great. I wouldn't buy regularly except to support Florida brewers.
- Miami Brewing Company's Gator Tail - A brown ale, but different than most. Seemed closer to a porter than a typical brown ale. I liked it as something a little different, but am still partial to Cigar City's Maduro Brown and Cubano Espresso as brown ales go.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 19Spartan95 on 2014-06-03, 16:00

Phil McCrackin wrote:I enjoyed a few 5 lizards on the patio yesterday afternoon. Might be my favorite warm weather beer at the moment.

I brought some of the 5 Lizards back from Chicago last summer and was very pleasantly surprised. Am going to check out their tasting room this summer.

Asheville's Beer Week just wrapped up on Sunday, got a chance to get around town for some great tasting events. Had some great sours from Wicked Weed, and I have not been disappointed by anything from Twin Leaf - a relatively new place in town.

Going to check out One World this week, an even newer brewery just opened in the last month or so.

Right now I'm sipping on an Oberon as I had to come home early from work to meet the plumber, life is good.
19Spartan95
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-06-03, 16:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Where is your new spot?  There are a couple in/around the Gables (Stop & Shop usually has some things that I never see at Total Wine, but is a little pricey).

By the way, I realized I never gave thoughts on the new/different Florida beers that I found recently.  These are the ones I tried:

- Due South's UXO - Not bad, I think it's technically a red ale, but stronger.
- Brew Bus's Boy Blue (or something like that) - A blueberry flavored ale.  Not a fan.  Seemed very watery and not much blueberry flavor.  I like Sweetwater's Blue out of Atlanta as a lighter summer beer, and this was very plain by comparison.
- Florida Beer Company's Hurricane Reef Ale - Not bad.  About like their Key West Sunset Ale or Southernmost Wheat in that it's good, but not great.  I wouldn't buy regularly except to support Florida brewers.
- Miami Brewing Company's Gator Tail - A brown ale, but different than most.  Seemed closer to a porter than a typical brown ale.  I liked it as something a little different, but am still partial to Cigar City's Maduro Brown and Cubano Espresso as brown ales go.
Sunset Corners is where I stopped at. 

I'll have to try UXO if I ever find Due South again. It might have been a one time release.
I've had the FBC before, they were ok, but not my first or second choice many times.
MBC, I've only had the IPA and I wasn't that impressed with it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-06-06, 16:03

Bells is announcing a Planet Series starting this August, it looks like. Mars, Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter look excellent. Now I have to find a way to get my hands on some down here.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Munn Field on 2014-06-06, 16:08

InTenSity wrote:Bells is announcing a Planet Series starting this August, it looks like. Mars, Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter look excellent. Now I have to find a way to get my hands on some down here.

I am somewhat disappointed that Mars isn't a red ale. That having been said, those all sound pretty good.
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 89akerholic on 2014-06-06, 17:48

My current favorite is the Yazoo Brewery 10 year IPA made here in Nashville. If anybody has the opportunity to attend the festival linked before you should absolutely do it.  Only downside is that it is typically the same day as the Big 10 football championship.  It is on 12/6 this year.

http://rhizomeproductions.com/previous-events/12-south-winter-warmer-december-7-2013/
89akerholic
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer on 2014-06-07, 11:30

Crankers Professor yummmm

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan on 2014-06-07, 12:23

Had a couple three perrin grapefruit ipas last night at Harrys in Detroit. One of my favorite beers ever
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-06-11, 09:24

Got a 4 pack of Founder's Devil Dancer triple IPA  
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer on 2014-06-11, 10:54

Cranker's Professor IPA -- YESSSSSSSS

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2014-06-19, 08:35

Had a Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Knew it was supposed to be really good but didn't realize it was brewed with coffee beans from civet droppings   

Cat poo aside it was easily one of the best stouts I've ever had.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan on 2014-06-19, 08:44

Stone sprocketbier is pretty quirky available right now. Thats a great beer.
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger on 2014-06-27, 16:57

Drinking a Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter while watching the Cubbies. Not in the same class as the Founder's porter or Great Lakes Porter, but good.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/central-waters-mud-puppy-porter/22627/
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-06-27, 20:01

Bought an 8-pack of Norm's Gateway IPA (Griffen Claw in Birmingham) last weekend. Only 4% alcohol but lots of flavor. This may become my new light beer
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-08-15, 16:15

Anyone see Bell's new DIPA which is part of the planet series? Mars is supposed to be a DIPA which is hanging in there around 10.1% ABV. I was wondering if this is rare and hard to get, or in stores and might take some looking around, but relatively easy to find.

Found a canned IPA, called Indie Pale Ale, some brewer in Mass, was actually pretty good and the price was reasonable. Recommended if you ever see a 12 pack for $14.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-09-11, 10:43

I'm so depressed to be back in FL after being in MI for a week. I thought that some of the bigger liquor stores and even 1 or 2 smaller stores had decent choices, but I was wrong. I went into small grocery stores with better selections than we get down here. It took me almost 30 minutes in one place to grab 10 beers. You guys in MI hopefully realize how lucky you are to have the selection you do.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-09-15, 14:43

A sales rep that is trying to get me to include them as part of our advertising buys next year, sent me a collection of craft brews from around Houston where she's based. I've barely spoken to the person and certainly not shared that I'm a beer man, so good guess on her part. I haven't researched them yet (or tried them yet, as they just came today), and don't follow the various breweries like some of you do, except for the Florida and Michigan breweries.

So, thoughts, opinions, or reputations of these?

No Label Brewing Co - Ridgeback Ale
Saint Arnold Brewing Co - Endeavour IPA
Saint Arnold Brewing Co - Fancy Lawnmower
Southern Star Brewing Co - Bombshell Blonde Ale
Karbach Brewing Co - Weekend Warrior Pale Ale
Karbach Brewing Co - Love Street Summer Seasonal
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-09-15, 14:55

Texas is another weird state for beer. They have some weird laws that make them another state that is kind of hard to either produce it, or sell it. I haven't really heard of any of these, maybe if I saw the bottles, and the only one I would probably try is hte IPA. Although I wonder what the Fancy Lawnmower is. Weekend Warrior might be a low ABV beer, the blonde sounds like a belgian. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Saint Arnold, but just not sure. Let me know how they are. I'm hoping to make the Nebraska game.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-09-15, 16:32

InTenSity wrote:Texas is another weird state for beer. They have some weird laws that make them another state that is kind of hard to either produce it, or sell it. I haven't really heard of any of these, maybe if I saw the bottles, and the only one I would probably try is hte IPA. Although I wonder what the Fancy Lawnmower is. Weekend Warrior might be a low ABV beer, the blonde sounds like a belgian. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Saint Arnold, but just not sure. Let me know how they are. I'm hoping to make the Nebraska game.
Strangely the Fancy Lawnmower doesn't say what kind it is at all, not even if it's a lager, an ale, or gasoline. None of them list the ABV%, which is strange.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-09-15, 16:44

Fancy Lawnmower is a Kolsch style with 4.9%
Endeavor is a Double IPA with 8.9% (are these 12oz bottles or 22oz) If you don't like IPA's I'd drink it.
Bombshell is an American blonde ale 5.2%
Weekend Warrior is an American Pale Ale 5.5%
Love Street is another Kolsch and 4.9%
Ridgeback is an amber and 6.1%

Appears that Kolsch is popular in Texas. I don't recall ever drinking one, although I've seen them.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2014-09-15, 17:04

Cool, thanks for the research! Endeavor is a 12 oz. I'm indifferent about IPAs. I'll drink them if I have them, but not usually my preference. I'll see if I've drank it by the time the Nebraska game rolls around (if you are able to make that one).

I don't think I've had a Kolsch either. You're right, must be popular there. Apparently, these are favorites selected by readers of a magazine or newspaper in Houston, not that reader polls mean a whole lot.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2014-09-17, 16:32

Haven't had this beer in a long time but bought a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Forgot how frigging good that beer is. Very pleasant color, perfect amount of hops and great balance to the flavors.

I can usually find it on sale too which makes it one of the best deals around.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2014-09-17, 16:36

InTenSity wrote:I'm so depressed to be back in FL after being in MI for a week. I thought that some of the bigger liquor stores and even 1 or 2 smaller stores had decent choices, but I was wrong. I went into small grocery stores with better selections than we get down here. It took me almost 30 minutes in one place to grab 10 beers. You guys in MI hopefully realize how lucky you are to have the selection you do.

Spot on. Every time I go home I'm blown away by the beer selection there.

I've found some great brews in the Berkshires and some from Maine, but the selection you get in Michigan is just unbelievable.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-09-17, 19:36

MiamiSpartan wrote:A sales rep that is trying to get me to include them as part of our advertising buys next year, sent me a collection of craft brews from around Houston where she's based. I've barely spoken to the person and certainly not shared that I'm a beer man, so good guess on her part. I haven't researched them yet (or tried them yet, as they just came today), and don't follow the various breweries like some of you do, except for the Florida and Michigan breweries.

So, thoughts, opinions, or reputations of these?

No Label Brewing Co - Ridgeback Ale
Saint Arnold Brewing Co - Endeavour IPA
Saint Arnold Brewing Co - Fancy Lawnmower
Southern Star Brewing Co - Bombshell Blonde Ale
Karbach Brewing Co - Weekend Warrior Pale Ale
Karbach Brewing Co - Love Street Summer Seasonal

Not a great representation of some of the beer brewed here in Texas. I would consider all of those beers for someone who normally drinks BMC to ease them into craft beer. All of those breweries make some great beers but those are all pretty plain.
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2014-09-17, 20:10

InTenSity wrote:Texas is another weird state for beer. They have some weird laws that make them another state that is kind of hard to either produce it, or sell it. I haven't really heard of any of these, maybe if I saw the bottles, and the only one I would probably try is hte IPA. Although I wonder what the Fancy Lawnmower is. Weekend Warrior might be a low ABV beer, the blonde sounds like a belgian. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Saint Arnold, but just not sure. Let me know how they are. I'm hoping to make the Nebraska game.

A lot of the old goofy beer laws are finally changing because breweries in Austin have been suing. Austin went from a mediocre beer town when I moved here in 2009 to one of the best beer towns in the country. New breweries popping up all the time, beer gardens and beer bars are all over the place, numerous awards won at GABF and all the restaurants in town now have really impressive beer lists. Jester King has to be making the best sours in the country. It's great to live here being a beer nerd.
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-09-17, 21:49

steveschneider wrote:

Spot on. Every time I go home I'm blown away by the beer selection there.

I've found some great brews in the Berkshires and some from Maine, but the selection you get in Michigan is just unbelievable.
Bell's Kalamazoo is my favorite stout. From memory, Bar Harbor Brewery's Cadillac Mountain Stout seemed even better, but it's sadly not available in Michigan
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan on 2014-09-21, 21:03

Alaskan brewing co. Pumpkin porter is great.
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-09-24, 13:38

This is why Miami is failing in the craft beer category. I'm getting emails about Oktoberfest at Marlins Park, which is going to feature craft beer.

Beer list

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartanic on 2014-09-24, 15:28

Ass Dan wrote:Alaskan brewing co. Pumpkin porter is great.

Two of my favorite styles combined. I agree, Alaskan Pumpkin porter is very good. Griffin Claw's screamin' pumpkin is quickly becoming one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Just had Founder's Mosaic Promise. Very simple but very good.
Spartanic
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-12-08, 19:52

Guy at my local store told me he had a beer I had to try. Said it's the closest thing to Hopslam that he has tried. Made by Lagunitas so I bought a bottle.

Tried it tonight and was very disappointed. Not even close to Hopslam. Had kind of an off-putting smell when I first brought the glass near my nose. Flavor had a murky hoppyness instead of the crispness of Hopslam.

Looked it up at Beer Advocate and it's rated 94 (90 by the bros). Whatever. Not my kind of beer and will never buy it again. IMO Sierra Nevada Torpedo is many times better.

Getting close to Hopslam hunting season
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-12-08, 20:04

Interesting. Hop stoopid it's one of my favorites. I don't like Sierra Nevada that much though. But that's the great thing about craft beer.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2014-12-08, 20:49

InTenSity wrote:Interesting. Hop stoopid it's one of my favorites. I don't like Sierra Nevada that much though. But that's the great thing about craft beer.
It's all weird. Torpedo has a BA rating of 93 (bros rate it 99)

Lagunitas makes some great beers. Maximus is one of my favorites. Hop stoopid was a letdown IMO. Part of it may be due to the guy comparing it to Hopslam. My expectation may have been too high
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2014-12-31, 23:13

Fuck me.
http://i.imgur.com/4EW22F2.jpg

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2015-01-07, 12:53

According to a friend of my golfing buddy Hopslam has been released and should be hitting your local craft beer dispensary any day now.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-01-07, 14:51

as if I needed another reason to want to go to HopCat, this thread gets bumped..

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum