RIP Gregg Allman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RIP Gregg Allman

Post by tGreenWay on Sat 27 May 2017 - 16:40

http://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/7759662/gregg-allman-dead
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18131
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by LooseGoose on Sat 27 May 2017 - 16:46

Wow....knew he wasn't doing well after he cancelled the tours this spring.....

My favorite of his solo work....


_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30313
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by LooseGoose on Sat 27 May 2017 - 16:50

And the best work of the band.....

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30313
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by tGreenWay on Sat 27 May 2017 - 16:54

I'm no angel is a great open road, sun shining, windows down highway song. (Apologies to Blackfoot.)

_________________
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the GreenWay.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18131
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by Floyd Robertson on Sat 27 May 2017 - 17:12

R.I.P.

avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11885
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by Cameron on Sat 27 May 2017 - 17:13

LooseGoose wrote:And the best work of the band.....

I was always partial to

avatar
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3174
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 28
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by LooseGoose on Sat 27 May 2017 - 17:15

Cameron wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:And the best work of the band.....

I was always partial to


Another great song.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30313
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by GRR Spartan on Sat 27 May 2017 - 18:56

He had health issues.

Between alcohol, IV drug use and the liver disease that goes with them he got a new liver and still didn't see 70.

Helluva a talent with a number of demons.
avatar
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5076
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by Dr. Strangelove on Sat 27 May 2017 - 22:12

Saw him at free concert at Munn Field in 1988 - he was the headliner. Steppenwolf was on the bill and a bunch of local bands notably The Way-Outs

_________________
We can share the women
We can share the wine
We can share what we got of yours
'Cause we done shared all of mine
avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2559
Join date : 2014-05-15
Location : Dixie

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by gHost Spartan on Sun 28 May 2017 - 16:52

LooseGoose wrote:Wow....knew he wasn't doing well after he cancelled the tours this spring.....

My favorite of his solo work....


Holy shit that's fucking dreadful.....
avatar
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Posts : 4504
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : ARIZONA

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by LooseGoose on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 13:56

What a story this is....somewhat similar to the KISS in Cadillac story.

Sean Kirst: How Gregg Allman and Cher stunned Canisius High 'assembly' in 1976


He brought it with him as he drove along a sycamore-lined private lane in Georgia that led to Allman's house. He kept it in a backpack while Allman did a long and gracious interview. As the interview was winding down, Brutus pulled out the yearbook.

Allman's response was immediate and emotional.

"I thought he was going to burst into tears," Brutus said.

Allman studied the images, and he remembered how the performance "was really important" in his life, a little touch of human fabric after a period of trauma. The idea that he was featured in the yearbook seemed to deeply affect him, and Brutus had one last request before they said goodbye:

"Would you mind," he asked Allman, "signing this for my friend?"

So Allman did, with a sentence that is now his epitaph in Buffalo, a sentence that speaks for every astounded teenager in a high school auditorium, more than 40 years ago:

"To Joe: I remember every note of this."

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30313
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by tGreenWay on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 14:14

Amazing read. Thanks, Goose.

_________________
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the GreenWay.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18131
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by DWags on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 14:37

Great Read Goose. Thx.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20109
Join date : 2014-04-22
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: RIP Gregg Allman

Post by SawGreen on Mon 5 Jun 2017 - 23:26

LooseGoose wrote:What a story this is....somewhat similar to the KISS in Cadillac story.

Sean Kirst: How Gregg Allman and Cher stunned Canisius High 'assembly' in 1976


He brought it with him as he drove along a sycamore-lined private lane in Georgia that led to Allman's house. He kept it in a backpack while Allman did a long and gracious interview. As the interview was winding down, Brutus pulled out the yearbook.

Allman's response was immediate and emotional.

"I thought he was going to burst into tears," Brutus said.

Allman studied the images, and he remembered how the performance "was really important" in his life, a little touch of human fabric after a period of trauma. The idea that he was featured in the yearbook seemed to deeply affect him, and Brutus had one last request before they said goodbye:

"Would you mind," he asked Allman, "signing this for my friend?"

So Allman did, with a sentence that is now his epitaph in Buffalo, a sentence that speaks for every astounded teenager in a high school auditorium, more than 40 years ago:

"To Joe: I remember every note of this."

Fuck me. That was special.
avatar
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 874
Join date : 2014-04-22

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum