Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can the Democrats start winning?

+5
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
steveschneider
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Empty Re: How can the Democrats start winning?

Post by GRR Spartan 6/1/2017, 7:36 pm

Goosechev never gets out of Mio and maybe he thinks the Democrats need to be working the bottom 40% for $25 dollar donations while the GOP looks to Kock, DeVos, Adelson, Ricketts, Hendricks, Johnson and other US billionaires.

Funny how Goosechev never mentions who funds the GOP.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Empty Re: How can the Democrats start winning?

Post by Cameron 6/1/2017, 7:40 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Goosechev never gets out of Mio and maybe he thinks the Democrats need to be working the bottom 40% for $25 dollar donations while the GOP looks to Kock, DeVos, Adelson, Ricketts, Hendricks, Johnson and other US billionaires.

Funny how Goosechev never mentions who funds the GOP.

Why would he mentions who funds the GOP in this thread? This thread is specifically about democrats. It says so in the title.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2017, 8:41 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:More bullshit from Comrade Goosechev who regularly parrots every thing he reads on Drudge or sees on FoxNews.

Obama kicked ass with small donations as did challenger Sanders.

lol - Mr Facts.
Report says Obama's small-donor base claim is off

Despite attracting millions of new contributors to his campaign, President-elect Barack Obama received about the same percentage of his total political funds from small donors as President Bush did in 2004, according to a study released today by the non-partisan Campaign Finance Institute.

The analysis undercuts Obama's claim that his supporters "changed the way campaigns are funded" by reducing the influence of special-interest givers.

"The myth is that money from small donors dominated Barack Obama's finances," said Michael Malbin, the institute's executive director. "The reality of Obama's fundraising was impressive, but the reality does not match the myth."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/1/2017, 11:20 pm

So anyway, as far as who gives big donations who give s little donations... here's a couple of screen shots. Both from fec.gov. I can give you links but fuck do you not trust me? Dick. Anyway.

Here's quist-

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Img_2410

Here's body slammer

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Img_2411

So, what I was getting at is that if anything democrats need more of those "I'm gonna spend all my rich guy money in Montana to buy a seat then throw some money somewhere else" and have plenty of "I want to help! Here's $20!" Already. That's what I was getting at earlier. I had a softball game to go to though. We lost.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 6/1/2017, 11:27 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So anyway, as far as who gives big donations who give s little donations... here's a couple of screen shots. Both from fec.gov. I can give you links but fuck do you not trust me? Dick. Anyway.

Here's quist-

Here's body slammer

So, what I was getting at is that if anything democrats need more of those "I'm gonna spend all my rich guy money in Montana to buy a seat then throw some money somewhere else" and have plenty of "I want to help! Here's $20!" Already. That's what I was getting at earlier. I had a softball game to go to though. We lost.

That's rather eye-opening. Not at all what I presumed. I think presidential candidates still rely on large donations more than small ones, but maybe I'm wrong about that too. Regardless, your point is well taken.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/1/2017, 11:38 pm

Cameron wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So anyway, as far as who gives big donations who give s little donations... here's a couple of screen shots. Both from fec.gov. I can give you links but fuck do you not trust me? Dick. Anyway.

Here's quist-

Here's body slammer

That's rather eye-opening. Not at all what I presumed. I think presidential candidates still rely on large donations more than small ones, but maybe I'm wrong about that too. Regardless, your point is well taken.

Now, there's more to it. If I'm a big money democratic donor am I dropping 10k in what is probably a losing race in Montana regardless? Probably not. That's a waste. But, there were plenty of little money people trying. If I'm a big money donor with a choice between the two, I'd sooner give to osoff who has a chance.

Okay, so that was my theory. I swear to God. On my life. I typed that before I googled. But, here's ossoffs campaign.

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Img_2412

So, basically the same deal. Thats interesting to me. I was expecting to see more large donations there to be honest. But it backs me up. So whatever.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 6/1/2017, 11:41 pm

Now you're just showing off.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/1/2017, 11:41 pm

Here's Karen Handel, his competition. Same trend. Republicans big money donors, democrats lots of small money.

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 Img_2413
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 6/1/2017, 11:42 pm

Charge your phone.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/1/2017, 11:46 pm

Cameron wrote:Now you're just showing off.

Haha, I dunno, it's interesting. The funny thing is that the democrats seem to have more money (though, I'm pretty sure something is missing from the FEC site. Maybe the candidates money? I know more than that was spent in Montana. I don't think individual contributions are missing from this though.)

Anyway, so the big Soros money theory seems to be not true. At least in congress and the senate. Maybe it's different for presidential. But, back on topic, I do think that one thing democrats need to be better at is reminding their base that non presidential races matter a lot too. They don't get as fired up about taking back the house as republicans do, but I think that's changing right now.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 6/1/2017, 11:48 pm

I agree about mid-terms. I know I tend to ignore those pretty much entirely. I'm a piece of shit who never votes and I'm not representative of the voting public as a whole, of course, but still...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 6/2/2017, 12:21 am

Democrats suffer with off year elections and the GOP has done a masterful job of getting the governor races moved to the off year schedule.

Democrats also have to do a better job of getting people registered to vote and making sure those registered don't get taken off voter rolls if their state's Sec of State run a multi state cross over eliminating duplicate names.

It's not like Trump blew out Clinton in key states. Had the Democrats replicated the '08 or '12 urban turnout it would be President Clinton.

Based on current Congressional and state districts it's nearly impossible for Democrats to win majorities in many state legislatures.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/2/2017, 12:32 am

GRR Spartan wrote:Democrats suffer with off year elections and the GOP has done a masterful job of getting the governor races moved to the off year schedule.

Democrats also have to do a better job of getting people registered to vote and making sure those registered don't get taken off voter rolls if their state's Sec of State run a multi state cross over eliminating duplicate names.

It's not like Trump blew out Clinton in key states. Had the Democrats replicated the '08 or '12 urban turnout it would be President Clinton.

Based on current Congressional and state districts it's nearly impossible for Democrats to win majorities in many state legislatures.

I guess. Or alternatively... why the fuck do I need to register to vote if I was born in America and am 18? I feel like a big enough excel spreadsheet should be able to manage this one. What does registering even mean in the computer age? Saying "yes, I plan to vote." Why can't I do that when I show up to vote?

Hint- the answer is that I totally can if I live in the right state. Some states do. Not in all of them though (and not here) which is nuts.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 9:40 am

I know it's opinion....but he uses facts.
Has the Democratic Party Gotten Too Rich for Its Own Good?

But Sanders spoke to the Democratic Party of 2016, not the Democratic Party of the Great Depression.

In days past, a proposal to slam the rich to reward the working and middle classes meant hitting Republicans to benefit Democrats.

Even as recently as 1976, according to data from American National Election Studies, the most affluent voters, the top 5 percent, were solidly in the Republican camp, 77-23. Those in the bottom third of the income distribution were solidly Democratic, 64-36.

In other words, 41 years ago, the year Jimmy Carter won the presidency, the Sanders proposal would have made political sense.

But what about now?

In the 2016 election, the economic elite was essentially half Democratic, according to exit polls: Those in the top 10 percent of the income distribution voted 47 percent for Clinton and 46 percent for Trump. Half the voters Sanders would hit hardest are members of the party from which he sought the nomination.

The problem for the Democratic Party is that “them” has become “us.”

In the past, Democrats could support progressive, redistributive policies knowing that the costs would fall largely on Republicans. That is no longer the case. Now supporting these policies requires the party to depend on the altruistic idealism of millions of supporters who, despite being relatively well off, often feel financially pressed themselves.

Reeves himself points to the Democratic uproar when President Obama proposed a relatively modest change in a tax-based mechanism to help pay college costs. The change in what are called 529 College Savings Plans was designed to make the program more advantageous to people with moderate incomes and less so for those with high incomes. An estimated 70 percent of the tax benefits of 529 plans currently go to families with incomes above $200,000.

The moment Obama suggested the reform, prominent Democrats from both the House and Senate were inundated with angry complaints from affluent constituents. They pressured Obama to drop the proposal. In less than a week, he did.

“The idea was sensible, simple, and progressive,” Reeves writes. “The episode was a brutal reminder that sensible policy is not always easy politics.” Reeves noted that two of the leading Democratic opponents of the 529 reform, Nancy Pelosi and Chris Van Hollen, who was elected Maryland’s junior senator in November but was a congressman when Obama proposed it, represented districts where “almost half their constituents are in households with six-figure incomes.”

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/2/2017, 9:41 am

solid mainstream media link, Goose.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 9:48 am

Strange to have those FEC numbers so different from Open Secrets.   But no link and no way to check them.
Donor Demographics

Only a tiny fraction of Americans actually give campaign contributions to political candidates, parties or PACs. The ones who give contributions large enough to be itemized (over $200) is even smaller. The impact of those donations, however, is huge.

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 ULxz9U0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 9:52 am

Hope this doesn't interrupt the score running up.

The Political One Percent of the One Percent in 2014: Mega Donors Fuel Rising Cost of Elections

In the 2014 elections, 31,976 donors — equal to roughly one percent of one percent of the total population of the United States — accounted for an astounding $1.18 billion in disclosed political contributions at the federal level. Those big givers — what we have termed the Political One Percent of the One Percent — have a massively outsized impact on federal campaigns.

They’re mostly male, tend to be city-dwellers and often work in finance. Slightly more of them skew Republican than Democratic. A small subset — barely five dozen — earned the (even more) rarefied distinction of giving more than $1 million each. And a minute cluster of three individuals contributed more than $10 million apiece.

The last election cycle set records as the most expensive midterms in U.S. history, and the country’s most prolific donors accounted for a larger portion of the total amount raised than in either of the past two elections.

The $1.18 billion they contributed represents 29 percent of all fundraising that political committees disclosed to the Federal Election Commission in 2014. That’s a greater share of the total than in 2012 (25 percent) or in 2010 (21 percent).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/2/2017, 9:53 am

LooseGoose wrote:Strange to have those FEC numbers so different from Open Secrets.   But no link and no way to check them.
Donor Demographics

Only a tiny fraction of Americans actually give campaign contributions to political candidates, parties or PACs. The ones who give contributions large enough to be itemized (over $200) is even smaller. The impact of those donations, however, is huge.

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 ULxz9U0

No link on the fec stuff? Dog I gotta introduce you to my new thing google.org (or something like that.) all you gotta do is type in fec and ossoff, or whichever name, and it's gonna give you what you want. If you insist I go do it for you, well fuck off lazy millennial I already did it once.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/2/2017, 9:55 am

shouldn't Goose's mainstream media links be in his "how the scary librul media is destroying America" thread?

unless, of course, he's now using the scary librual media to support whatever argument he might be trying to make.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 10:02 am

Yep, I'm the troll. I provide information and links - the next two posts attack me for doing so.

sorry that the facts upset you so.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 10:02 am

I've got better things to do.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/2/2017, 10:05 am

LooseGoose wrote:I've got better things to do.

Well then just trust my screenshots that say "fec.gov" on them are in fact from fec.gov and not a photoshop.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 6/2/2017, 10:21 am

must be nice..

How can the Democrats start winning? - Page 3 ONoFkb

No
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 6/2/2017, 10:39 am

In general, rich people (and corporations) like to support (i.e., give money) who they think will win.

Sorry, I don't have any data to support this.

You're just going to have to trust me.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 6/2/2017, 10:51 am

Cameron wrote:I agree about mid-terms. I know I tend to ignore those pretty much entirely. I'm a piece of shit who never votes and I'm not representative of the voting public as a whole, of course, but still...

Apathy is another big problem on our side. I was guilty of it as well mostly because I live in a solid blue state but never again. I voted in the school board elections the other month and I'm determined to never miss a vote again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/2/2017, 5:47 pm

At some point a month or so ago somewhere around here Miami and I talked about how he thought that healthcare was an issue that democrats shouldn't rally around because it didn't touch enough people. This would touch enough people if they went this route.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-senators-weigh-taxing-employer-health-plans-1496350662
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/2/2017, 8:53 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Well then just trust my screenshots that say "fec.gov" on them are in fact from fec.gov and not a photoshop.

I didn't say they weren't from FEC.   Links are nice to click on to see the basis for those numbers.   I provide links and you use them to rebut me often, yet somehow when I ask for links I'm accusing you of photoshopping.  Nice Strawman.

Based on my easily searchable data from opensecrets I stand by my original statement that the Dems are now the party of the very wealthy.   Donations show that.  Polling shows that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 6/2/2017, 8:59 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I didn't say they weren't from FEC.   Links are nice to click on to see the basis for those numbers.   I provide links and you use them to rebut me often, yet somehow when I ask for links I'm accusing you of photoshopping.  Nice Strawman.

Based on my easily searchable data from opensecrets I stand by my original statement that the Dems are now the party of the very wealthy.   Donations show that.  Polling shows that.

Oh my God calm down goose. Here's why I gave you screen shots. There were a lot of clicksies in there. It was easier to do that than to say "okay click on this link. Then click this button. Then this one. Then do it three more times."

So, no, they aren't. Due to my very kind screenshots that you can look at. You're fucking welcome for my effort dickhead.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3