Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

+9
DWags
tGreenWay
The Pantry
y2kMgrad
Stoops21
Death Roe
MSU addict
InTenSity
Dendrobates
13 posters

Go down

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob Empty I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-07, 08:59

I guess it started when I worked at the movie theaters as my first job. I even worked there for a little bit on weekends while at MSU. You would think the concept is easy, but I've noticed a big difference in popcorn taste in some theaters.

So I'm in GR for work, and decide to go to the movies by myself at AMC. While I have AMC near where I live, I usually go to MJR or Emagine. I saw the shitty movie snatched , because I knew the hubby wouldn't care me seeing that one without him. Again, I mainly just went for the popcorn. They didn't have the flavored salt. This is a biggie now. It just isn't the same without some flavored salt. I put some butter on it. In addition to making this popcorn more terrible for me, I buy a side of nacho cheese to dip it in. This was something I picked up when I worked in the movie theater. Us employees always ate it that way on break. And I still do today. But in eating the popcorn, I'm trying to figure out what tastes off/funny. At first I thought it was the cheese/. Nope, it was the butter. It was pretty gross. Not that it was bad, it's just what they use. And now I remember my main reason for not going to AMC, is that it just doesn't taste right.

Moral of the story: stick with MJR or Emagine for popcorn.

And don't fuck with a pregnant woman's popcorn craving. Left me grumpy all night.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob Empty Re: I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-07, 09:19

I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn. Then I stopped for about 10 years or maybe more. Did they change that as well? Same brand, but it just seems off. Maybe it has always been the same, I dunno. I've never tried the flavored salt, which kind do you recommend?

Sorry you had a bad night.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-06-07, 09:49

If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-07, 09:53

I don't eat popcorn at all anymore.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-07, 10:00

MSU addict wrote:If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.

Yes, I know that. And it always looks terribly disgusting when you refill it . Doesn't turn me away. I can't pinpoint why tne butter tastes weird. I remember it being this way last time I went AMC years ago. Now I know it's the type of butter.

Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-07, 10:01

InTenSity wrote:I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn. Then I stopped for about 10 years or maybe more. Did they change that as well? Same brand, but it just seems off. Maybe it has always been the same, I dunno. I've never tried the flavored salt, which kind do you recommend?

Sorry you had a bad night.

I don't do microwave popcorn anymore. I have my own popper and I melt my own butter over it. I know what you mean by that tasting different than it used to. And I agree, that something is off/different.

My favorite flavored salt to use is the white cheddar one. The ranch one is good too. I even buy the white cheddar in stores for home use as well.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2017-06-07, 10:30

Dendrobates wrote:
MSU addict wrote:If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.

Yes, I know that. And it always looks terribly disgusting when you refill it . Doesn't turn me away. I can't pinpoint why tne butter tastes weird. I remember it being this way last time I went AMC years ago. Now I know it's the type of butter.

My point is that clarified butter has a pretty consistent taste. You can have some subtle nuances if the butter is slightly cultured, but again it is pretty consistent.

With a flavored oil there can be an incredible number of differences - starting with the type of oil (coconut and canola being the most common) and then whatever flavoring and coloring they use. I am sure AMC's differs significantly from the others but also that MJR's and Emagine's differ from each other.

Eat what you like.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2017-06-07, 12:56

MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-07, 12:59

Stoops21 wrote:MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.

I agree, I hate that clap BS. The MJRs by me all have the recliner seating too. Probably something all the theaters are changing. I like it. But popcorn is what drives me.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-07, 13:10

Stoops21 wrote:MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.

I went to the big one in Troy last year to see Deadpool a few weeks early. When everyone did that clap we were like "What the fuck?"
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2017-06-07, 13:33

Death Roe wrote:

I went to the big one in Troy last year to see Deadpool a few weeks early. When everyone did that clap we were like "What the fuck?"

I've been in the Sterling Heights /macomb area since 2011, and it's been that way the entire time. Hubby grew up there, and says it's been that way as long as he can remember.

I don't get it. It's irritating every time.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2017-06-07, 20:59

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2017-06-07, 21:43

y2kMgrad wrote:I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?

Dude just don't go. MJR has its own preview before the movie with a little jingle. People will clap to it....
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-06-07, 21:46

Anyone have one of those silicone microwave bowls for cooking regular (unpackaged) popcorn? Do they work? Tips?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-07, 23:59

y2kMgrad wrote:I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?

This. I'd never heard of MJR, either. Why the hell do they clap? I'd be telling at them to stfu.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-08, 00:06

tGreenWay wrote:

This. I'd never heard of MJR, either. Why the hell do they clap? I'd be telling at them to stfu.

Yep. Wife and I went last month or so ago. We didn't know how to work the chairs.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-08, 00:19

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yep. Wife and I went last month or so ago. We didn't know how to work the chairs.

They'd better not make any noise when the lobby treats are singing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-04, 22:23

The Pantry wrote:Anyone have one of those silicone microwave bowls for cooking regular (unpackaged) popcorn?  Do they work?  Tips?
Since no suggestions were offered here decided to start experimenting with microwave popcorn.  Just got two different bowls and a bag of Amish popcorn via Prime.

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 20190410

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 20190411

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 20190412

We'll see what happens.  I'm rooting for the Nordic Ware bowl over the Popco.  Will keep you posted with results.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-04-04, 22:32

I always make mine on the stove top. Suacepan, olive oil, corn and salt when it’s done.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-04-04, 22:41

I love popcorn. Microwave, pan, you name it. In a pinch I'll throw regular kernals in a lunch sack, fold the top three inches and pop it in the microwave.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-04, 22:56

Only popcorn in the bowl, first try with the Nordic Ware came out very good.  A drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper after pop was perfect.

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 20190413
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-04-04, 23:43

Gonna have to try one of those.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-05, 00:33

The Pantry wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Anyone have one of those silicone microwave bowls for cooking regular (unpackaged) popcorn?  Do they work?  Tips?
Since no suggestions were offered here decided to start experimenting with microwave popcorn.  Just got two different bowls and a bag of Amish popcorn via Prime.

We'll see what happens.  I'm rooting for the Nordic Ware bowl over the Popco.  Will keep you posted with results.

You waited almost two years for one of us to answer before you gave up and made the decision for yourself? Damn, you have more patience than most. I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-04-05, 00:35

The Pantry wrote:Only popcorn in the bowl, first try with the Nordic Ware came out very good.  A drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper after pop was perfect.

It’s more than a little burny. Would toss and try again.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-04-05, 09:05

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

You waited almost two years for one of us to answer before you gave up and made the decision for yourself? Damn, you have more patience than most. I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 502811600
I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 502811600
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-04-05, 09:37

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Corn kernels are to the USA as grapes are to France bro. You don't just blast open a bottle of french wine after its bottled for a week. So uncivilized. I don't want to sound snobby but maybe class on some of the finer things in life with a dose of proper etiquette? I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 276803595
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-05, 09:59

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Forgot about it until I wanted some popcorn last weekend.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-05, 10:02

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Only popcorn in the bowl, first try with the Nordic Ware came out very good.  A drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper after pop was perfect.

It’s more than a little burny. Would toss and try again.
Nothing burned. Just the way some hulls came out looking in the picture
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-04-05, 10:05

Dendrobates wrote:I guess it started when I worked at the movie theaters as my first job. I even worked there for a little bit on weekends while at MSU. You would think the concept is easy, but I've noticed a big difference in popcorn taste in some theaters.

So I'm in GR for work, and decide to go to the movies by myself at AMC. While I have AMC near where I live, I usually go to MJR or Emagine. I saw the shitty movie snatched , because I knew the hubby wouldn't care me seeing that one without him. Again, I mainly just went for the popcorn. They didn't have the flavored salt. This is a biggie now. It just isn't the same without some flavored salt. I put some butter on it. In addition to making this popcorn more terrible for me, I buy a side of nacho cheese to dip it in. This was something I picked up when I worked in the movie theater. Us employees always ate it that way on break. And I still do today. But in eating the popcorn, I'm trying to figure out what tastes off/funny. At first I thought it was the cheese/. Nope, it was the butter. It was pretty gross. Not that it was bad, it's just what they use. And now I remember my main reason for not going to AMC, is that it just doesn't taste right.

Moral of the story: stick with MJR or Emagine for popcorn.

And don't fuck with a pregnant woman's popcorn craving. Left me grumpy all night.

Did you have that baby yet? I'm a movie theater popcorn snob 1f60b
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-04-05, 11:23

It's more fun at MJR!
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-04-05, 19:33

Tried the Popco silicone bowl at work today. Worked great with no oil. Added melted butter this time. Tasty but like the olive oil drizzle better because it's lighter.

Gonna have to dink with cooking times with both bowls. The Nordic Ware left 60-80 old maids. The Popco maybe 40-50.

Nordic Ware
Pros: Sturdy bowl with a vented lid. Good serving bowl with a base that keeps residual heat away from any surface you put it on. Bowl comes out of the microwave at a reasonable bare hand handling temp. Can add oil/butter, salt, etc after cook and shake it up to spread things evenly.

Cons: Squar-ish shape bumps the walls and temporarily hangs up on the turntable in smaller microwaves. Hand wash only.

Popco
Pros: Collapsible bowl taking less storage space. Round shape, except for the handles, and will turn freely in any size MW. Rings molded into the silicone for full or half bowl kernel measurement. Dishwasher safe.

Cons: Silicone lid floats in the bowl and rises as more kernels pop. Works fine but not great for adding seasoning after pop because it sits right on the popcorn...a no shake situation. Even the handles are pretty hot right out of the microwave. Don't set the thing on any surface that is not heat tolerant.
_____

Both microwave bowls provided great popcorn in roughly 4 minutes, sans cooking oil, in the initial test run using Amish kernels.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2019-04-05, 20:28

We have the Nordic Ware popper and always wash it in the dishwasher.  Top rack on the lid, the bowl I have but on the bottom rack without issue.

To each his own - but as this is a thread about popcorn snobbery - I really do not like the popcorn that it makes.  My wife does.  

FWIW, the Orville Redenbacher's white popcorn is superior to the Amish Country brand.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down