I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

Post by Dendrobates on 2017-06-07, 08:59

I guess it started when I worked at the movie theaters as my first job. I even worked there for a little bit on weekends while at MSU. You would think the concept is easy, but I've noticed a big difference in popcorn taste in some theaters.

So I'm in GR for work, and decide to go to the movies by myself at AMC. While I have AMC near where I live, I usually go to MJR or Emagine. I saw the shitty movie snatched , because I knew the hubby wouldn't care me seeing that one without him. Again, I mainly just went for the popcorn. They didn't have the flavored salt. This is a biggie now. It just isn't the same without some flavored salt. I put some butter on it. In addition to making this popcorn more terrible for me, I buy a side of nacho cheese to dip it in. This was something I picked up when I worked in the movie theater. Us employees always ate it that way on break. And I still do today. But in eating the popcorn, I'm trying to figure out what tastes off/funny. At first I thought it was the cheese/. Nope, it was the butter. It was pretty gross. Not that it was bad, it's just what they use. And now I remember my main reason for not going to AMC, is that it just doesn't taste right.

Moral of the story: stick with MJR or Emagine for popcorn.

And don't fuck with a pregnant woman's popcorn craving. Left me grumpy all night.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm a movie theater popcorn snob

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-07, 09:19

I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn. Then I stopped for about 10 years or maybe more. Did they change that as well? Same brand, but it just seems off. Maybe it has always been the same, I dunno. I've never tried the flavored salt, which kind do you recommend?

Sorry you had a bad night.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2017-06-07, 09:49

If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-07, 09:53

I don't eat popcorn at all anymore.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2017-06-07, 10:00

MSU addict wrote:If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.

Yes, I know that. And it always looks terribly disgusting when you refill it . Doesn't turn me away. I can't pinpoint why tne butter tastes weird. I remember it being this way last time I went AMC years ago. Now I know it's the type of butter.

Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2017-06-07, 10:01

InTenSity wrote:I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn. Then I stopped for about 10 years or maybe more. Did they change that as well? Same brand, but it just seems off. Maybe it has always been the same, I dunno. I've never tried the flavored salt, which kind do you recommend?

Sorry you had a bad night.

I don't do microwave popcorn anymore. I have my own popper and I melt my own butter over it. I know what you mean by that tasting different than it used to. And I agree, that something is off/different.

My favorite flavored salt to use is the white cheddar one. The ranch one is good too. I even buy the white cheddar in stores for home use as well.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2017-06-07, 10:30

Dendrobates wrote:
MSU addict wrote:If you worked at a theater you should know that the "butter" almost all theaters put on is not actually butter, but rather a butter flavored oil.

Yes, I know that. And it always looks terribly disgusting when you refill it . Doesn't turn me away. I can't pinpoint why tne butter tastes weird. I remember it being this way last time I went AMC years ago. Now I know it's the type of butter.

My point is that clarified butter has a pretty consistent taste. You can have some subtle nuances if the butter is slightly cultured, but again it is pretty consistent.

With a flavored oil there can be an incredible number of differences - starting with the type of oil (coconut and canola being the most common) and then whatever flavoring and coloring they use. I am sure AMC's differs significantly from the others but also that MJR's and Emagine's differ from each other.

Eat what you like.
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 on 2017-06-07, 12:56

MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2017-06-07, 12:59

Stoops21 wrote:MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.

I agree, I hate that clap BS. The MJRs by me all have the recliner seating too. Probably something all the theaters are changing. I like it. But popcorn is what drives me.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-07, 13:10

Stoops21 wrote:MJR has that insufferable preview where all the dip shit patrons clap. I only go to AMC for the recliners.

I went to the big one in Troy last year to see Deadpool a few weeks early. When everyone did that clap we were like "What the fuck?"

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2017-06-07, 13:33

Death Roe wrote:

I went to the big one in Troy last year to see Deadpool a few weeks early. When everyone did that clap we were like "What the fuck?"

I've been in the Sterling Heights /macomb area since 2011, and it's been that way the entire time. Hubby grew up there, and says it's been that way as long as he can remember.

I don't get it. It's irritating every time.
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad on 2017-06-07, 20:59

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 on 2017-06-07, 21:43

y2kMgrad wrote:I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?

Dude just don't go. MJR has its own preview before the movie with a little jingle. People will clap to it....

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-06-07, 21:46

Anyone have one of those silicone microwave bowls for cooking regular (unpackaged) popcorn? Do they work? Tips?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-06-07, 23:59

y2kMgrad wrote:I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone right now. Your movie theater has Ranch flavored popcorn? And they clap before the movie? At what?

This. I'd never heard of MJR, either. Why the hell do they clap? I'd be telling at them to stfu.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-06-08, 00:06

tGreenWay wrote:

This. I'd never heard of MJR, either. Why the hell do they clap? I'd be telling at them to stfu.

Yep. Wife and I went last month or so ago. We didn't know how to work the chairs.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-06-08, 00:19

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yep. Wife and I went last month or so ago. We didn't know how to work the chairs.

They'd better not make any noise when the lobby treats are singing.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum