The 2017 United States Open Championship

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-15, 13:15

Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: The 2017 United States Open Championship

Post by Frank Ricard on 2017-06-15, 18:31

Ryan Brehm, MSU alum, -1 after 9, tied for 26th.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2017-06-15, 21:29

Doesn't feel like a US Open.

'Cause we done shared all of mine
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2017-06-15, 23:30

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Doesn't feel like a US Open.

I think the USGA was very cautious in the setup today to see what happens since it's a new track. Look for them to turn off the water and it'll be interesting if they decide to make these guys play an 8,000 yd track.

One hole (#5) played under par even though it was a 500 yd+ par 4. Some guys were still hitting as little as a wedge into it. The average drive for all players was 304 yards, so a 500 yd par 4 is something like a drive, 6-iron for the average player on a 500 yd hole. You'll have to start having 540 yd par 4's to really test the long iron shots of even the average player.

Someone, I don't remember who, played hit an iron for their 2nd shot at the 600 yd par 5 18th.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-16, 06:49

Frank Ricard wrote:

I think the USGA was very cautious in the setup today to see what happens since it's a new track.  Look for them to turn off the water and it'll be interesting if they decide to make these guys play an 8,000 yd track.

One hole (#5) played under par even though it was a 500 yd+ par 4.  Some guys were still hitting as little as a wedge into it.  The average drive for all players was 304 yards, so a 500 yd par 4 is something like a drive, 6-iron for the average player on a 500 yd hole.  You'll have to start having 540 yd par 4's to really test the long iron shots of even the average player.

Someone, I don't remember who, played hit an iron for their 2nd shot at the 600 yd par 5 18th.
It's time to dial back the golf ball.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-06-16, 07:57

by "open" does that mean anyone can play?

'cause I don't have anything going on this weekend..
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-16, 08:48

Robert J Sakimano wrote:by "open" does that mean anyone can play?

It sort of works like that. You can qualify to play, and anyone has a chance to do so.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-06-16, 09:03

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:by "open" does that mean anyone can play?

It sort of works like that. You can qualify to play, and anyone has a chance to do so.
sweet, man..

now I just need some clubs.. scratch

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-16, 09:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
sweet, man..

now I just need some clubs..   scratch

I have a spare set for when you visit in FL.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-06-16, 09:19

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
sweet, man..

now I just need some clubs..   scratch

I have a spare set for when you visit in FL.
Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-16, 17:10

I'm watching a little golf right now and I guess I don't get what you guys are complaining about. Okay so the leaders are at -9. Maybe a little low. But why is that a problem? Errbody playing the same course.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 on 2017-06-16, 17:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I'm watching a little golf right now and I guess I don't get what you guys are complaining about. Okay so the leaders are at -9. Maybe a little low. But why is that a problem? Errbody playing the same course.

I love golf where they're tearing shit up or suffering. Winged foot several years ago was fun to watch as the winner was at about +5. You'll all get a taste of insanely easy golf and frustrating to watch golf.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-06-16, 17:45

Frank Ricard wrote:

I think the USGA was very cautious in the setup today to see what happens since it's a new track. Look for them to turn off the water and it'll be interesting if they decide to make these guys play an 8,000 yd track.

One hole (#5) played under par even though it was a 500 yd+ par 4. Some guys were still hitting as little as a wedge into it. The average drive for all players was 304 yards, so a 500 yd par 4 is something like a drive, 6-iron for the average player on a 500 yd hole. You'll have to start having 540 yd par 4's to really test the long iron shots of even the average player.

Tour players are hitting 5 irons 250 yards. When I caddied in the Buick open very few pros we're reaching #16 in two shots. Maybe 5-10 in the field could. And that was a 600yd par 5. Back then a 280-290 average for your driver was considered a big hitter. It's nothing now, in fact it bottom level. Nicklaus has said for years the ball needs to be decompressed. He's right. Should never be a need to have an 8000 yard course. They're mutilating beautiful old courses​ to keep up with technology. It's stupid.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-16, 17:53

kingstonlake wrote:
Frank Ricard wrote:

Tour players are hitting 5 irons 250 yards. When I caddied in the Buick open very few pros we're reaching #16 in two shots. Maybe 5-10 in the field could. And that was a 600yd par 5. Back then a 280-290 average for your driver was considered a big hitter. It's nothing now, in fact it bottom level. Nicklaus has said for years the ball needs to be decompressed. He's right. Should never be a need to have an 8000 yard course. They're mutilating beautiful old courses​ to keep up with technology. It's stupid.

So then leave it alone and call it a par 4? Or a par 2? Whatever. I guess I don't care that much what the score is like stoops. It doesn't really matter, it's still one guy playing against the other guys on the same course.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-16, 17:59

kingstonlake wrote:
Frank Ricard wrote:

I think the USGA was very cautious in the setup today to see what happens since it's a new track.  Look for them to turn off the water and it'll be interesting if they decide to make these guys play an 8,000 yd track.

One hole (#5) played under par even though it was a 500 yd+ par 4.  Some guys were still hitting as little as a wedge into it.  The average drive for all players was 304 yards, so a 500 yd par 4 is something like a drive, 6-iron for the average player on a 500 yd hole.  You'll have to start having 540 yd par 4's to really test the long iron shots of even the average player.

Tour players are hitting 5 irons 250 yards. When I caddied in the Buick open very few pros we're reaching #16 in two shots. Maybe 5-10 in the field could. And that was a 600yd par 5. Back then a 280-290 average for your driver was considered a big hitter. It's nothing now, in fact it bottom level. Nicklaus has said for years the ball needs to be decompressed. He's right. Should never be a need to have an 8000 yard course. They're mutilating beautiful old courses​ to keep up with technology.  It's stupid.
Today Kim hit 6 iron into a 249 par 3 over the green.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-06-16, 18:00

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

So then leave it alone and call it a par 4? Or a par 2? Whatever. I guess I don't care that much what the score is like stoops. It doesn't really matter, it's still one guy playing against the other guys on the same course.

I agree and they do that about 36 weeks of the year. They're called regular tour events. I want to see a struggle to make par. A test of the elites skills. It's called a major for a reason.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-16, 18:00

kingstonlake wrote:

Tour players are hitting 5 irons 250 yards. When I caddied in the Buick open very few pros we're reaching #16 in two shots. Maybe 5-10 in the field could. And that was a 600yd par 5. Back then a 280-290 average for your driver was considered a big hitter. It's nothing now, in fact it bottom level. Nicklaus has said for years the ball needs to be decompressed. He's right. Should never be a need to have an 8000 yard course. They're mutilating beautiful old courses​ to keep up with technology.  It's stupid.

Scale down the ball and the equipment for the pros.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-16, 21:08

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC 28s29 seconds ago
E. coli bacteria found in drinking water at Erin Hills golf course where the U.S. Open is being played. http://abcn.ws/2tvGqPv
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-16, 21:16

Yummy

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-16, 21:30

kingstonlake wrote:

I agree and they do that about 36 weeks of the year. They're called regular tour events. I want to see a struggle to make par. A test of the elites skills. It's called a major for a reason.

Then just make it a par 2. That'll satisfy your hunger for worse scores.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2017-06-17, 03:25

kingstonlake wrote:

kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-17, 07:48

kingstonlake wrote:

Eh. I get your point I'm mostly just mocking it since I think it's semantics.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2017-06-17, 22:45

MSU alum Ryan Brehm +1.

I'm convinced that they can't make these courses hard enough. This was supposed to be a bombers course, yet someone with relatively modest length is leading it. But even the short hitters have the 300 yd drive in their bag somewhere. There's no such thing as a short hitter at this level.

Most of the biggest bombers missed the cut. I bet the field average is still about 300 yards, even with the soft condition. I'm not sure you can make a course too long for these guys - if it's soft, they're throwing darts.

I really love the looks of the course, but candidly, it's really disappointing that the scores are similar to a normal Tour event. Par today was about 69 for the top 30 guys.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-17, 22:52

Frank Ricard wrote:MSU alum Ryan Brehm +1.

I'm convinced that they can't make these courses hard enough. This was supposed to be a bombers course, yet someone with relatively modest length is leading it. But even the short hitters have the 300 yd drive in their bag somewhere. There's no such thing as a short hitter at this level.

Most of the biggest bombers missed the cut. I bet the field average is still about 300 yards, even with the soft condition. I'm not sure you can make a course too long for these guys - if it's soft, they're throwing darts.

I really love the looks of the course, but candidly, it's really disappointing that the scores are similar to a normal Tour event. Par today was about 69 for the top 30 guys.

Niiiiiiiice

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-18, 19:03

Pretty exciting you guys.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-06-18, 19:05

Eh, it's over at this point.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-18, 19:07

Koepka can play it safe from here on out and coast to the win. Matsuyama only had a shot if Brooks par'd 14.

Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-18, 19:19

Ballgame.

Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-18, 19:23

Why is Joe buck trying to take over my life?

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-06-18, 19:26

Because Joe Buck is evil.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-18, 19:38

He is consuming my soul

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield on 2017-06-18, 20:06

Koepka going swimming tonight

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-18, 22:01

Tim Wakefield wrote:Koepka going swimming tonight
Dude looks like the embodiment of the country club frat boy douche bag. Probably shouldn't judge on looks but I am.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum