Instant Replay In Sports

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-19, 12:35

What do you guys think about instant replay 10 or 15 years after it started taking over in various sports over the years? Soccer is experimenting with one at a tournament right now, thus the thought, but this most certainly is not a soccer thread.

Personally- I hate it. It's not the time, it's the constant effort to define everything. Process of the catch is the best example. Just let the ref make a call and let fans of the team that didn't get the benefit of it bitch. Don't try to say "oh well he did make a football move but he only held the ball for 2.1 seconds but on the other hand he did touch three of the four sections of the ball so oh know what it's a catch."

There was just a review in this soccer game, it only took a minute but afterward the announcers spent like 10 minutes talking about what does and doesn't constitute a handball. Very aggravating. In retrospect I'd rather go back to having the occasional bad call (really how many are there that are game changing and egregious? Not many at all.) I just think that refs should have some amount of discretion to make appropriate calls rather than trying to predict everything that could possibly happen in the rules. What you guys think though?

_________________
I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
avatar
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 13108
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 33
Location : Right behind you

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-19, 12:36

I don't know.

_________________
SHOCKULAR:
Where to start?
I mean, the first thing with pea soup is the texture, okay?
I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
avatar
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 8041
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Pants Pooper

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-19, 12:45

When it works in the Spartans' favor I'm all for instant replay.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11880
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-19, 12:46

I would have favored it for Armando Gallaraga too.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11880
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-06-19, 12:56

I like it, but it needs to be more efficient. Need 3rd party judge/league office for every sport do the review. Also it would help if they didn't know what had been called on the field.

I also think the catch rule needs to be put on a stopwatch to make it less about judgement. I don't know what the right amount of time is. Say it's 1.5 seconds. Does he control the ball for 1.5 seconds? Yes -> catch. No -> incomplete pass. Simple.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by steveschneider on 2017-06-19, 13:02

I want to get back to the days where people learn how to deal with a bullshit call. Get the managerial ejections back.
avatar
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10662
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-06-19, 13:37

steveschneider wrote:I want to get back to the days where people learn how to deal with a bullshit call. Get the managerial ejections back.

RIP Sparky and Billy. I'm gonna kick some dirt on the neighbor kid in their honor today.

_________________
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the GreenWay.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18118
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Nordic on 2017-06-19, 14:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I like it, but it needs to be more efficient. Need 3rd party judge/league office for every sport do the review. Also it would help if they didn't know what had been called on the field.

I also think the catch rule needs to be put on a stopwatch to make it less about judgement. I don't know what the right amount of time is. Say it's 1.5 seconds. Does he control the ball for 1.5 seconds? Yes -> catch. No -> incomplete pass. Simple.

Too many live misses because of the speed, viewing angles, etc. to not have replay. The process of the catch thing is f'ed up and some calls still aren't right....but far less than if there wasn't replay. Think about how many bad calls would stand without it. Especially now with HD and all the different camera angles.

I like both of your suggestions WBH.
avatar
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5918
Join date : 2014-05-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-19, 14:31

Think of how many bad calls would stand without it

Two things on that. 1) how many results of games would have been changed by those calls? I don't think very many. 2) refs are now reffing with the knowledge that the play is going to get reviewed. That, I think, leads to more safe but wrong calls. Really I think what I'm mostly arguing for is to allow officials in sports to have more discretion. There are all sorts of examples where I think that that would make things better instead of trying to adhere to rigid rules on every single call.

_________________
I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
avatar
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 13108
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 33
Location : Right behind you

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by steveschneider on 2017-06-19, 14:34

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I want to get back to the days where people learn how to deal with a bullshit call. Get the managerial ejections back.

RIP Sparky and Billy. I'm gonna kick some dirt on the neighbor kid in their honor today.

It used to be hilarious when you'd go to work and everyone would be melting down over some ref or an ump blowing a game.

avatar
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10662
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2017-06-19, 17:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What do you guys think about instant replay 10 or 15 years after it started taking over in various sports over the years? Soccer is experimenting with one at a tournament right now, thus the thought, but this most certainly is not a soccer thread.

Personally- I hate it. It's not the time, it's the constant effort to define everything. Process of the catch is the best example. Just let the ref make a call and let fans of the team that didn't get the benefit of it bitch. Don't try to say "oh well he did make a football move but he only held the ball for 2.1 seconds but on the other hand he did touch three of the four sections of the ball so oh know what it's a catch."

There was just a review in this soccer game, it only took a minute but afterward the announcers spent like 10 minutes talking about what does and doesn't constitute a handball. Very aggravating. In retrospect I'd rather go back to having the occasional bad call (really how many are there that are game changing and egregious? Not many at all.) I just think that refs should have some amount of discretion to make appropriate calls rather than trying to predict everything that could possibly happen in the rules. What you guys think though?
I'm for it. I mean, yeah, they over-do it sometimes, and that could be cut back on it, but it's really frustrating when extremely obvious calls get blown. Kansas clock incident. Kenny Anderson. Just a couple of famous glaring ones from our Spartan history that probably cost Jud at least another trip to a Final Four.

Refs can't be trusted to not be fucking idiots. Did you see Chile's second goal yesterday? A scramble in front of goal, the goalie is out at the 6 yard box or beyond, but two defenders are behind him and behind the ball when they called offside, disallowing the goal. It wasn't close. He was 2 yards on. Obviously VAR (Video Assistant Referee, for the uncool soccer haters) overturned it, but it's a bit maddening that they would blow such an obvious call in the first place, especially in a showcase tournament, where there should be the best officials in the world.

BTW, the handball rule (or more accurately it's current sub-rules for interpretation) is such an absolute clusterfuck to begin with, that it can't be blamed on replay. So it seems that it often generates 10 minutes of discussion by announcers, regardless.
avatar
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2039
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-06-19, 17:59

steveschneider wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

RIP Sparky and Billy. I'm gonna kick some dirt on the neighbor kid in their honor today.

It used to be hilarious when you'd go to work and everyone would be melting down over some ref or an ump blowing a game.


Yep. I think the last one I recall is the Gallaraga bad call in 2010. There's probably others since then, but that's the one I remembered first because so many people were cheesed off.

_________________
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the GreenWay.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18118
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-19, 18:13

The funny thing about Gallaraga is that his perfect game is way way way more memorable this way. It's almost better than if they got the call right.

For Miami- that's pretty bad. Didn't see it. That's where I'd prefer punishing refs who make terrible calls. Suspensions, media interviews (if they do or don't make a terrible call) etc. as far as handballs... yeah, to me it's just like what is a catch in football. Just let the ref make the call based on what they see and leave it at that. Don't try to define which twitch of a guys arm means it should or shouldn't be. A whole lot of the time the intent is pretty obvious just by watching it.

Oh. Speaking of, since I do realize at this point that instant replay isn't going away... I think they should watch it at full speed. None of this frame by frame garbage. If it isn't readily apparent that someone broke the rules then they didn't. Take offsides in hockey. It should be obvious at full speed. If you need to freeze frame something to see if there's a hint of white there, then just let the game go on.

_________________
I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
avatar
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 13108
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 33
Location : Right behind you

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-06-19, 18:22

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:The funny thing about Gallaraga is that his perfect game is way way way more memorable this way. It's almost better than if they got the call right.

For Miami- that's pretty bad. Didn't see it. That's where I'd prefer punishing refs who make terrible calls. Suspensions, media interviews (if they do or don't make a terrible call) etc. as far as handballs... yeah, to me it's just like what is a catch in football. Just let the ref make the call based on what they see and leave it at that. Don't try to define which twitch of a guys arm means it should or shouldn't be. A whole lot of the time the intent is pretty obvious just by watching it.

Oh. Speaking of, since I do realize at this point that instant replay isn't going away... I think they should watch it at full speed. None of this frame by frame garbage. If it isn't readily apparent that someone broke the rules then they didn't. Take offsides in hockey. It should be obvious at full speed. If you need to freeze frame something to see if there's a hint of white there, then just let the game go on.

Interesting suggestion on full speed replay. I vaguely remember times where Spartan football and bball players got called for flagrant fouls that didn't seem terrible at full speed.

_________________
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the GreenWay.
avatar
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18118
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : East Lansing

Back to top Go down

Re: Instant Replay In Sports

Post by steveschneider on 2017-06-19, 19:55

The last bullshit call I can remember in the review era was that one game where the fucking asshole from Nebraska ran that route out of bounds and caught that touchdown.

avatar
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10662
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum