Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak

4 posters

Go down

The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak Empty The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-06-19, 13:12

The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak

Can't remember if we have topic on this.  Certainly merits it's own thread based on the level of incompetence displayed by RNC and it's contractors.

In what is the largest known data exposure of its kind, UpGuard’s Cyber Risk Team can now confirm that a misconfigured database containing the sensitive personal details of over 198 million American voters was left exposed to the internet by a firm working on behalf of the Republican National Committee (RNC) in their efforts to elect Donald Trump. The data, which was stored in a publicly accessible cloud server owned by Republican data firm Deep Root Analytics, included 1.1 terabytes of entirely unsecured personal information compiled by DRA and at least two other Republican contractors, TargetPoint Consulting, Inc. and Data Trust. In total, the personal information of potentially near all of America’s 200 million registered voters was exposed, including names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, and voter registration details, as well as data described as “modeled” voter ethnicities and religions.

Putting data in an Amazon S3 cloud bucket is great.  Putting it there unsecured is whole new level of shit-cloud-database-security.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak Empty Re: The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-19, 13:24

I was reading some of the comments on reddit. If you want to get all tinfoily, there were suggestions that the GOP did this on purpose for a couple of reasons. One would be to help discourage voting, who is more likely to notice that this happened, already disillusioned millenials, or retiree's? This is pretty piss poor though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak Empty Re: The RNC Files: Inside the Largest US Voter Data Leak

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-19, 13:53

It isn't too hard to imagine there are governments who have realized the potential of messing with data and information the RNC (in this case) never thought of being needed to screw with elections.

About 2 years ago Iranian hackers got into a traffic control system of a major Scandinavian city and played with timing of lights at intersections just to show they could do it.

On the case of the RNC the hackers may have plans we haven't even thought of.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-06-19, 14:01

InTenSity wrote:I was reading some of the comments on reddit. If you want to get all tinfoily, there were suggestions that the GOP did this on purpose for a couple of reasons. One would be to help discourage voting, who is more likely to notice that this happened, already disillusioned millenials, or retiree's? This is pretty piss poor though.

I never really thought it like an act to discourage voting. It just smacks of cloud database security incompetence and trust me, there's plenty of that going around.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-19, 14:04

Is this the hack the GOP told us didn't happen after initial reporting said it did? It's great being lied to. Thank Jeezy for journalists and what remains of a free press.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-06-19, 14:15

tGreenWay wrote:Is this the hack the GOP told us didn't happen after initial reporting said it did? It's great being lied to. Thank Jeezy for journalists and what remains of a free press.

Honestly, I can't remember if it's the same one or not. Too many of these for me to keep track of anymore.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-06-19, 14:22

Was this a hack at all, or just bad security that someone found and reported? It says that the information was out there if anyone had access to it.
In total, 1.1 terabytes of data in the warehouse—an amount roughly equivalent to 500 hours worth of video—was fully downloadable. Among these files were clear indications of the repository’s political importance, with file directories named for a number of high-powered and influential Republican political organizations. As such, the exposed Deep Root Analytics warehouse contained a remarkable amount of fully accessible data.
This wasn't a hack, it was a lack of any type of security, right?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-06-19, 14:26

InTenSity wrote:Was this a hack at all, or just bad security that someone found and reported? It says that the information was out there if anyone had access to it.
In total, 1.1 terabytes of data in the warehouse—an amount roughly equivalent to 500 hours worth of video—was fully downloadable. Among these files were clear indications of the repository’s political importance, with file directories named for a number of high-powered and influential Republican political organizations. As such, the exposed Deep Root Analytics warehouse contained a remarkable amount of fully accessible data.
This wasn't a hack, it was a lack of any type of security, right?

Yep, there were no restrictions of any type for access to the database.  Just straight-up in you were on the internet and knew where to look for the database you could access it.  No login requirements, no IP address whitelisting, nada.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-19, 14:30

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Is this the hack the GOP told us didn't happen after initial reporting said it did? It's great being lied to. Thank Jeezy for journalists and what remains of a free press.

Honestly, I can't remember if it's the same one or not. Too many of these for me to keep track of anymore.

Yup. I just remember after word got out the DNC had been hacked there was another report the RNC was hacked. There was even an on the record confirmation from someone with the Party. Then, someone else came out and said no hack. So, maybe it's as InTenSity suggests; no hack, but massive exposure. I can see there being a misunderstanding at first. Who knows.
Besides, I'm screwed anyway. It's only a matter of time before news of my lust for randy sheep gets out.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down