Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..

+5
Death Roe
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
msugolfguy
Robert J Sakimano
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  Empty Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-20, 12:16

I know this is very disappointing news for the NRA and republicans...

if you guys work really hard, it's possible that guns can eventually be the #1 cause of death for children. Thanks for all you do.

Caution - Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  Empty Re: Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..

Post by Guest 2017-06-25, 08:25

Caution debunking Bob's BS link.

A New Study about Guns and ‘Children’

Pediatrics has published a new study from researchers at the Centers for Disease Control entitled “Childhood Firearm Injuries in the United States.” It’s straightforward, but worth reading if you care about homicide, suicide, and accidental death in this country. It covers nonfatal injuries in addition to deaths, and it explains how these incidents break down in terms of demographics, geography, and circumstances.

It also, unfortunately, seems designed to spur misleading news stories. Some of the statistics group together every gunshot victim age 17 and under; others group together those 0–12 and 13–17.

The problem is that most of us don’t see 16- or 17-year-olds as “children,” and that’s where the deaths are overwhelmingly concentrated, even within the “older children” (13–17) group. So while media coverage of the study leads off with gun accidents killing toddlers and third-graders, the actual gun-death data (which I pulled myself from the CDC’s online system) look like this:

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  Gun%20Death%20by%20Age
(Those are annual rates of firearm death per 100,000, with the data combined from 2012–2014, as in the study.)

Every child death is worth preventing, and gun owners with kids absolutely should store their weapons securely. But America’s gun problem is overwhelmingly about homicides and suicides among teens and adults, not about young children finding their dads’ Glocks, and inversely, firearms are far from the biggest risk that young kids face.

Kids ten and under are more than three times as likely to drown as to die from a gunshot (accidental or otherwise), for example, and more than four times as likely to die in a car accident. Accidents involving children may draw attention to the gun issue, but they’re quite far from that issue’s heart
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  Empty Re: Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..

Post by DWags 2017-06-25, 09:14

The problem is that most of us don’t see 16- or 17-year-olds as “children,” and that’s where the deaths are overwhelmingly concentrated, even within the “older children” (13–17) group. So while media coverage of the study leads off with gun accidents killing toddlers and third-graders, the actual gun-death data (which I pulled myself from the CDC’s online system) look like this:

What in the actual fuck is wrong with this person? Sick perverted piece of shit. Stop reading right there and protect your sophomore in high school daughter from monsters like this who would have no problem sleeping with them because he "doesn't see them as children"

Jesus. What's wrong with this guy?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-25, 09:25

DWags wrote:The problem is that most of us don’t see 16- or 17-year-olds as “children,”

Saving the outrage and concentrating on the point he's trying to make. When you see a headline with "children" in it do you immediately think of 17 year olds?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-25, 09:44

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:The problem is that most of us don’t see 16- or 17-year-olds as “children,”

Saving the outrage and concentrating on the point he's trying to make. When you see a headline with "children" in it do you immediately think of 17 year olds?

Yes. They're juniors and below in high school. You seriously don't? Oh and this perverted piece of shit included 16 year olds curious why you didn't add that number in just now?

It's a hell of a scum bag thing to advocate to help protect the NRA
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-06-25, 10:08

LooseGoose wrote:

Actually yes, I do. Thinking back on 17 I was still a kid.

Any decent medical literature in psychology and neuroscience points to the brain continuing to develop till age 25-28. Some people push it to 30 but those are outliers.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-06-25, 10:10

People whose 17 year old sons and daughter who die after being shot always remember them as young adults.

I'm sure if a knitpicker's grandchild dies at 16 or 17 after being shot they will consider them young adults and not post here about the deceased being just a kid.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-25, 11:40

GRR Spartan wrote:People whose 17 year old sons and daughter who die after being shot always remember them as young adults.

I'm sure if a knitpicker's grandchild dies at 16 or 17 after being shot they will consider them young adults and not post here about the deceased being just a kid.

The piece of scum who wrote the article needed to call 16 and 17 year old adults to help with statistics. Those who chose to defend that are as scummy as he is. Trash.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-26, 09:37

LooseGoose wrote:

Goose? Are 16 year olds kids? Crickets?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 07:45

love that gun nuts have such little value for human life that they're now trying to define exactly what constitutes a "child".

okay, so, YES.. she's lying dead in geometry class.. after getting murdered with an assault rifle.. but this 16 year old girl is not a child.. okay? She's just not.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2017-06-27, 07:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:love that gun nuts have such little value for human life that they're now trying to define exactly what constitutes a "child".

okay, so, YES.. she's lying dead in geometry class.. after getting murdered with an assault rifle.. but this 16 year old girl is not a child.. okay? She's just not.

Link to the murder committed with an "assault" rifle?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 07:56

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:love that gun nuts have such little value for human life that they're now trying to define exactly what constitutes a "child".

Link to the murder committed with an "assault" rifle?
nevermind.. you caught me.

there has never been a murder with an assault rifle. I'm sorry for dispensing fake news.

#Busted
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 08:00

For the life of me, I'd never have placed Goose in the category of people that doesn't mind 16 year olds being considered adults as far as guns, sex, drugs, whatever. That shocked me more than anything.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 08:02

DWags wrote:

For the life of me, I'd never have placed Goose in the category of people that doesn't mind 16 year olds being considered adults as far as guns, sex, drugs, whatever. That shocked me more than anything.
frightening when someone's political agenda overrides common sense.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 08:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

frightening when someone's political agenda overrides common sense.

Oh, I know some "Christians" who voted for a pussy grabbing sexual predator because of maybe getting a conservative supreme court appointee. Let Rome burn, but lord forbid we give someone a morning after pill.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-06-27, 08:09

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: frightening when someone's political agenda overrides common sense.

Oh, I know some "Christians" who voted for a pussy grabbing sexual predator because of maybe getting a conservative supreme court appointee. Let Rome burn, but lord forbid we give someone a morning after pill.

Please stop talking about the Julius Caesar play where the assassinated guy looked like trump dwags. It's too soon. Way too soon. Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  1f625
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 08:11

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: frightening when someone's political agenda overrides common sense.

oh yeah, 81% of 'christians' voted for a racist, bigoted, admitted sexual predator who mocks disabled people and has 5 kids by 3 different women (that we know of)..

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-06-27, 08:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

oh yeah, 81% of 'christians' voted for a racist, bigoted, admitted sexual predator who mocks disabled people and has 5 kids by 3 different women (that we know of)..

Hey they got the Justice they wanted. Took one for the team.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 08:23

msugolfguy wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:oh yeah, 81% of 'christians' voted for a racist, bigoted, admitted sexual predator who mocks disabled people and has 5 kids by 3 different women (that we know of)..

Hey they got the Justice they wanted. Took one for the team.
and I bet if you asked them, they want government to stay out of their lives.

they just want government to be in other people's lives... in the name of jesus.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-27, 08:29

Bob, question - Do you consider anyone who owns a gun a Republican and/or gun nut and/or NRA member?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 08:36

Death Roe wrote:Bob, question - Do you consider anyone who owns a gun a Republican and/or gun nut and/or NRA member?
no - I consider the ones who have no problem with mowing down children and/or mass shootings a "gun nut".

and, coincidentally, they all seem to be republicans.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 09:01

Death Roe wrote:Bob, question - Do you consider anyone who owns a gun a Republican and/or gun nut and/or NRA member?

I own guns. I just have no problem with waiting for a month to buy one or a real background check I'll still give them my money I just don't get the insanity behind some of the rules
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-27, 09:06

DWags wrote:

I own guns. I just have no problem with waiting for a month to buy one or a real background check I'll still give them my money I just don't get the insanity behind some of the rules

I agree 100%. I think the background checks need to be much more strict. The guns I sold to people at Dunham's, man, some of them terrified me, but they passed the check and didn't say anything/act weird enough for me to deny a sale.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 09:09

my favorite gun owners are the ones who think that "thoughts and prayers" are the best way to handle gun violence.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 09:14

Death Roe wrote:
DWags wrote:

I agree 100%. I think the background checks need to be much more strict. The guns I sold to people at Dunham's, man, some of them terrified me, but they passed the check and didn't say anything/act weird enough for me to deny a sale.

Yeah I think an NICS check takes less than a minute.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-27, 09:15

DWags wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

NICS checks usually take about 3-5 minutes total. If you go during Thanksgiving/Black Friday, you're probably waiting 30 minutes minimum. The problem for us was that even though the store would be open 5pm Thanksgiving all the way until 10pm Friday, NICS would close down at midnight and not open again until 6am. So when 6am came, not only would I have a pile of 4473s to call in, I would have to wait about 45 minutes to even get a rep on the line.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 09:17

Death Roe wrote:
DWags wrote:

NICS checks usually take about 3-5 minutes total. If you go during Thanksgiving/Black Friday, you're probably waiting 30 minutes minimum. The problem for us was that even though the store would be open 5pm Thanksgiving all the way until 10pm Friday, NICS would close down at midnight and not open again until 6am. So when 6am came, not only would I have a pile of 4473s to call in, I would have to wait about 45 minutes to even get a rep on the line.
my thoughts and prayers are with you during that difficult time.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-27, 09:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

my thoughts and prayers are with you during that difficult time.

Do you have anything to add or are you just going to be your usual dry/sarcastic self? It's pretty obvious you don't have much input regarding this subject besides trashing Republicans as a whole, which is your usual shtick.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 09:21

Death Roe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: my thoughts and prayers are with you during that difficult time.

Do you have anything to add or are you just going to be your usual dry/sarcastic self? It's pretty obvious you don't have much input regarding this subject besides trashing Republicans as a whole, which is your usual shtick.
you seem upset.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-27, 09:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

you seem upset.

Nah not really. I just grow tired of your back-and-forth since it happens daily with almost every poster on this site.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-06-27, 09:29

Death Roe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you seem upset.

Nah not really. I just grow tired of your back-and-forth since it happens daily with almost every poster on this site.
good - I'm certainly not worth getting upset about. Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  502811600

sorry to contaminate the otherwise worthwhile and intellectually-driven dialogue that typically occurs here. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-06-27, 09:56

Death Roe wrote:
DWags wrote:

How easy would it be for me to use a stolen I'd from that day to get it through?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-31, 22:08

Guns Now The 3rd Leading Cause of Death for Children..  Guns-uber-alles
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-31, 22:37

Quality bump.

Rolling Eyes
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-31, 22:41

You honestly think gun nuts are as thick as the ESPN writers. Try as we might to convince them as Spartans that we hate Nassar and Strample but we don’t think you should associate Izzo and Dantonio with them. They won’t hear it. Same with guns. The debate is a non starter with a knuckle dragger because all they hear is “get rid of guns”. It amazes me I guarantee there are factions that say ban guns, but there are huge majorities of Americans who just wan to try to figure shit out. Both left and right. Assholes will keep quoting individuals who say they want a ban and make noise like the moronic children they are.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-31, 22:42

Why does it seem Goose gets dumber with each passing day?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-31, 22:43

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Why does it seem Goose gets dumber with each passing day?

He’s high.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-31, 22:44

DWags wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Why does it seem Goose gets dumber with each passing day?

He’s high.

Good call. Whatcha smoking tonight Goosie?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-03-31, 22:45

DWags wrote:

He’s high.  
Don't you dare blame weed. I'll fight you.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-31, 22:46

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

He’s high.  
Don't you dare blame weed. I'll fight you.

He trolls when he’s high.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next