Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show?

4 posters

Go down

So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show? Empty So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show?

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-26, 13:35

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I don't pay attention to celebrity news very much.  Apparently, this had been gossiped about on the internet for a few weeks, but I didn't have a clue.  So anyway, we were watching this on the DVR this weekend.  My daughter has been enjoying some of the old-school game show reboots that everyone seems to be doing this summer, and Will Arnett was one of the judges (he also produces it), so why not?  

At first, the host seemed a little over the top, and as I looked closer the hair and eyebrows seemed fake.  So I'm thinking they're doing a parody of some British host I'm not familiar with.  Then I notice that the voice sounds very Austin Powers-ish.  Can't be Myers, can it?  Looks nothing like him, they didn't promote it with him, etc.  I figured it's a comedian that is inspired by Myers or something.  So I decided to google it, and yep, it's Myers.  What's it been, 10 years or so since he's done anything?  No one is even really confirming it, they're just calling him Tommy Maitland or something.  Apparently, he created this whole character and is staying completely immersed in it.  I'll keep watching just because of him.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show? Empty Re: So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show?

Post by Rocinante 2017-06-26, 14:03

Yeah, I heard his voice once on the radio and knew it was him. Also, that show doesn't look very good. You've got all these talented people and have a bunch of yahoos perform? Wow, that guy can jump rope on his ass. No thanks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show? Empty Re: So Mike Myers is semi-secretly hosting the new Gong Show?

Post by Death Roe 2017-06-26, 14:03

Rocinante wrote:Yeah, I heard his voice once on the radio and knew it was him. Also, that show doesn't look very good. You've got all these talented people and have a bunch of yahoos perform? Wow, that guy can jump rope on his ass. No thanks.

You just channeled your inner Stugotz. Well done.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-06-26, 14:05

Oh I get the show, killer. I watched clips. It's not that good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-26, 14:07

Rocinante wrote:Yeah, I heard his voice once on the radio and knew it was him. Also, that show doesn't look very good. You've got all these talented people and have a bunch of yahoos perform? Wow, that guy can jump rope on his ass. No thanks.

You kind of just summed up the original GS. Just ridiculous performances. Terrible TV. Loved every minute of it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-26, 14:23

tGreenWay wrote:

You kind of just summed up the original GS. Just ridiculous performances. Terrible TV. Loved every minute of it.
Yeah, I was going to say, that's pretty much what they're going for.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-26, 14:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If Gene Gene the Dancing Machine isn't a part of the new iteration, then it's not a real Gong Show.
Meanwhile, can a new version of The $1.98 Beauty Show be far behind? (Please please please.)
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-06-26, 15:42

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

If Gene Gene the Dancing Machine isn't a part of the new iteration, then it's not a real Gong Show.
Meanwhile, can a new version of The $1.98 Beauty Show be far behind? (Please please please.)
I'm not quite that old to know what you're talking about. Sounds like something where you'd purchase a Russian mail order bride.

I only barely remember the Gong Show, as I was probably 6-7 when it was on originally.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-06-26, 15:46

tGreenWay wrote:

No. The original had mostly terrible stuff. This one appears to have acts that are just shy of being worthy of America's got talent, which means we get to see People who I'd much rather watch just look amazed while some lady puts a tarantula in her mouth and plays the harmonica.

That, or the promoters are not doing a good job showing the modern equivalent of this, which is the best TV of all time.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-06-26, 16:30

This thread got me thinking about some of the regular tv names I remember from this and other shows. So, in a mini TIL:
•Jaye P. Morgan is 85 now. She got fired from the GS for exposing her breasts.
•Jo Anne Worley is alive and, well, she's alive.
•Ruth Buzzi is 80, still married, and living in TX. She and her husband collect post-War English autos. Among others, she owns Jags, Rolls', and Bentleys. Since Buzzi was born in Rhode Island, this means she turned on her country in the Turtleneck scale of Be American, Buy American.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down