The Athletic website

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Athletic website

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-16, 19:32

Anyone subscribe to this?

Interesting venture. I followed the guy who runs it, Craig Custance since he was a national baseball writer for ESPN, but from Detroit. Saw his tweets about starting off on his own with the subscription model and the local content but didn't really give it a thought until there was an article about Darien Harris I really wanted to read. So I bought a subscription. I'm kind of a spaz like that. I keep forgetting to check it out regularly but when I have, there's good content.

Example.

In this week's Sunday Q & A, The Athletic delves into that further with Tigers' Vice President of Player Development Dave Littlefield.

DL: Certainly we have high hopes for Jacoby Jones and what he ends up becoming. He’s a talented athlete. Christin Stewart has done a fantastic job since he signed. He’s got good power from the left side of the plate. He has a good eye; he works the count well and gets on base, two attributes that are very valuable moving forward.

KS: I know it can be difficult to put a timeline on players, but how soon do you think fans should expect to see Jacoby Jones at the major league level on a regular basis?

DL: Every player has things to work on. In Jones’ case, he’s a fantastic athlete, but an area he's got to work on is tracking pitches and working the count and cracking the breaking ball. That has been a challenge for him… It was a different scenario at the major-league level this season with centerfield being kind of an unknown. As it played out, we gave him a fair amount of time there, which probably sped up the development process more than we would have like to, but we are always willing to challenge good athletes. It’s kind of the way it works.

I don’t know the exact timeline. We want him to be a good big leaguer. He has good athletic ability and good instincts but to be above- average– we want to help finish him off, and it's clear one of things he needs to continue to work on is to track breaking balls, work the count. When that happens is hard to say.

More then on Christian Stewart and the trade market, etc. Decent stuff. I'll post more without trying to plagiarize too much.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: The Athletic website

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-16, 19:33

I almost clicked subscribe the other day when we talked about it here. The only reason I didn't that I need fewer places to visit not more.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-07-16, 21:41

LooseGoose wrote:I almost clicked subscribe the other day when we talked about it here. The only reason I didn't that I need fewer places to visit not more.

It's okay, we already know you're an athletic supporter.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-07-24, 10:07

Brendan F. Quinn‏Verified account @BFQuinn 47m47 minutes ago
More

Happy to announce I am joining @TheAthleticDET, covering Michigan and Michigan State basketball.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-24, 11:31

Quinn makes a solid pint or two in his intro article. I'll post it later if I can.

No pop ups. No video auto play.

Everyone should pony up and subscribe on those two points alone if they have the means.

The content is good but thin right now. More coming as they continue to add staff.

I also subscribed to feeds of other teams I follow as they are starting to pop up. GSW has a feed now. The bulls have a feed.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-07-24, 12:02

from the physiques associated with it's posters, the RMCB appears to be a rather un-athletic website.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-24, 12:08

Bob, I saw a tweet yesterday that I really felt appropriate to share with you. Are you on twitter or shall I post it here? (assuming I can find it)

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-07-24, 12:18

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Bob, I saw a tweet yesterday that I really felt appropriate to share with you. Are you on twitter or shall I post it here? (assuming I can find it)
I don't do the Twitter machine.. feel free to post it here, if you can.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-07-24, 12:19

Found it!

https://twitter.com/TheRealSparty/status/889206010983927808

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-07-24, 12:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Found it!

https://twitter.com/TheRealSparty/status/889206010983927808

being the open-minded guy that I am, as long as fully-grown adult men aren't out hurting others, they're more than welcome to display their insecurities by dressing up like superheroes in public..

we all have our challenges. It's just that most of us choose not to put them on display for everyone to admire -

thanks for sharing - you're a great American.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum