Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Question

+8
Herbie Green
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
Rocinante
NigelUno
Turtleneck
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Serious Question Empty Serious Question

Post by Guest 07/08/17, 09:30 am

Is Grand Rapids considered a hotbed of racism?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Serious Question Empty Re: Serious Question

Post by Robert J Sakimano 07/08/17, 09:32 am

LooseGoose wrote:Is Grand Rapids considered a hotbed of racism?
I wouldn't consider the immediate downtown area overly racist, though I'm sure there are supporters of the sexual predator in the vicinity.

the suburban areas? I don't know too much about it but there are a lot of white people there who support the sexual predator and his jesus party.. so I'd say more than likely, yes.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 07/08/17, 09:33 am

(oh - and here is where Goose comes back with some heartwarming story about the white christian person in Grand Rapids who once bought a black person a cup of coffee or employed a Mexican to spread mulch at his house)..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/08/17, 09:44 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:(oh - and here is where Goose comes back with some heartwarming story about the white christian person in Grand Rapids who once bought a black person a cup of coffee or employed a Mexican to spread mulch at his house)..

LOL.....it might be better than that.....but I'm going to wait for more opinions first.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 07/08/17, 09:45 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:(oh - and here is where Goose comes back with some heartwarming story about the white christian person in Grand Rapids who once bought a black person a cup of coffee or employed a Mexican to spread mulch at his house)..

LOL.....it might be better than that.....but I'm going to wait for more opinions first.
awesome.

I look forward to your story about how gracious supporters of the sexual predator are to those less fortunate.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07/08/17, 10:00 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

awesome.

I look forward to your story about how gracious supporters of the sexual predator are to those less fortunate.

Somebody has to be, damned liberals just want to turn them over to the government's tender mercies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 07/08/17, 10:00 am

LooseGoose wrote:Is Grand Rapids considered a hotbed of racism?

Maybe I'm racist for saying this, but my experience in that area and a bit south has been: "if you ain't Dutch you ain't much". I don't know if it's racism as much as arrogance and very old school values.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 07/08/17, 10:02 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:awesome.

Somebody has to be, damned liberals just want to turn them over to the government's tender mercies.
yep - while the sexual predator only wants to sexually assault women and date their underage daughters.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 07/08/17, 10:07 am

All I know is that Detroit is better than Grand Rapids.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 07/08/17, 10:54 am

Or the Mexican immigrant workers who married into farm families...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 07/08/17, 11:03 am

NigelUno wrote:

Or the Mexican immigrant workers who married into farm families...
it's gonna be a good story.

c'mon, Goose.. don't keep us waitin', man..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 07/08/17, 02:13 pm

Is it in America?

Then yes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 07/08/17, 03:12 pm

GR isn't nearly as openly racist as it was pre 1967 when it had its own racial unrest.  

Before that GRPS still had South HS open which had over 60% of its student identified as black.  There were unofficial quotas limiting employment  well known GR employers.  The son or daughter of a white employee would get hired a week out of HS  and the black guy's child would get a rejection letter.

Like a lot of other places in the Midwest economics has played a big role since redlining  ended and people could move into what were very white suburbs.

Another less obvious reason was the Korean War and Bethany Services which expanded to adopt children of American and Korean parentage.  That introduced a number of traditionally white only families in the Reformed and Christian Reformed churches to adopted children who were Asian.  Then when the US was in Vietnam There was another available mixed race children to be adopted.

In Holland, the migrant Mexicans started staying and some of them came to GR further integrating schools.

I think there are pockets of racism but so far social pressure keeps them quiet.  

When I was in HS there were 2 black peoples on my class of about 250.  The district has grown, last graduating class was over 500 and was about 20% black and 15% Asian.  

Won't say there aren't issues but based on people speaking out there are a more willing to speak out about gay marriage and LGBTQ than race.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 07/08/17, 08:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 07/08/17, 04:54 pm

Hotbed of Jesus freaks
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 07/08/17, 04:56 pm

I still remember as a kid hearing my relatives talking about how they had to stop for gas on Division once.  "I had never seen so many of them"  But then they said "but they put the gas in just as well as any other place" so I don't think they were racist.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 07/08/17, 05:11 pm

While we wait...another immigrant migrant worker who snuck in married into a farm family.

Last edited by NigelUno on 07/08/17, 05:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 07/08/17, 05:32 pm

Turtleneck wrote:All I know is that Detroit is better than Grand Rapids.

I don't know enough about the area to say for sure, however, since we know the west side is > the east side in every conceivable way, then yes, the west side is greater at racism than the east side.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 07/08/17, 06:36 pm

I haven't spent much time in GR. I had no preconceptions about it being a hotbed of racism before this thread.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 07/08/17, 07:04 pm

I have some family in GR, they aren't racist and they have friends they aren't racist to my knowledge. However they all either work at MSU medical school or children's.

I will say it seems that local businessman are all Dutch. However I could probably say the same about a lot of areas, nepotism happens.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 07/08/17, 10:40 pm

In all seriousness, does this question translate to "is the christian reformed church and/or its members racist"?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 07/08/17, 10:48 pm

http://www.alternet.org/education/school-choice-leads-segregation
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 07/08/17, 10:57 pm

Herbie Green wrote:http://www.alternet.org/education/school-choice-leads-segregation

This true.
It's amazing what a school receiving state funds can get away with. MI requires a lot more transparency from public schools than its charter counterparts.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 08/08/17, 12:40 am

GRR Spartan wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:http://www.alternet.org/education/school-choice-leads-segregation

This true.  
It's amazing what a school receiving state funds can get away with.  MI requires a lot more transparency  from public schools than its charter counterparts.

I agree with you there but I am focusing on the racist angle as it relates to this thread.
Maybe we should ask ourselves if we would send our own kids to Holland schools, 60% mexican.
I guess it might make a big difference of who pays for it
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/17, 09:15 am

Well after all that the story isn't much.

I have a building for rent. Had a woman from Grand Rapids email/text me about it 2-3 weeks ago. Hadn't heard from her since.

2 days ago she texts me and asks if the building is still available. I told her it was and to call any time for more information.
She continues to text - I really hate typing long answers on my phone. So I ask her to please call. She sets a time to do so.

So a couple hours later she calls. We have a fairly long convo - maybe 30-40 minutes. She wants to drive up and look at
the building. No problem so we set an appointment. Then I get this: "There's one more thing I should tell you." OK....
waiting for the poor credit/felon/etc confession....Nope.

"I'm of African American descent" (hiding my stundom) - - Why would that matter? "Because I've been trying to rent a building
in Grand Rapids since I last talked to you and it seems I can't."

I assured her I didn't care a bit about what race she was as long as she lived up to any agreement we made. Said our goodbyes
and that was that....until she texted me the the next day before the time of our appointment that she had gotten a location in
GR after all.

I guess I asked the original question because my opinion from afar had been of GR as a conservative yet fairly "hip" progressive town.
I was shocked that someone thought they were being denied rentals because of race. I still think it's possible that it was a series of
other people getting to the rentals 1st.....but I won't rule out it could be race.

TL:DR - woman possibly discriminated against in GR.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 08/08/17, 09:22 am

False flag.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 08/08/17, 09:25 am

LooseGoose wrote:Well after all that the story isn't much.

I have a building for rent. Had a woman from Grand Rapids email/text me about it 2-3 weeks ago. Hadn't heard from her since.

2 days ago she texts me and asks if the building is still available. I told her it was and to call any time for more information.
She continues to text - I really hate typing long answers on my phone. So I ask her to please call. She sets a time to do so.

So a couple hours later she calls. We have a fairly long convo - maybe 30-40 minutes. She wants to drive up and look at
the building. No problem so we set an appointment. Then I get this: "There's one more thing I should tell you." OK....

"I'm of African American descent" (hiding my stundom) - - Why would that matter? "Because I've been trying to rent a building

I assured her I didn't care a bit about what race she was as long as she lived up to any agreement we made. Said our goodbyes
and that was that....until she texted me the the next day before the time of our appointment that she had gotten a location in
GR after all.

I guess I asked the original question because my opinion from afar had been of GR as a conservative yet fairly "hip" progressive town.
I was shocked that someone thought they were being denied rentals because of race. I still think it's possible that it was a series of
other people getting to the rentals 1st.....but I won't rule out it could be race.

that's actually one of the least shocking things I've heard in quite some time.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 08/08/17, 09:39 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

GR after all.

Is Grand Rapids a hip town?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 08/08/17, 10:06 am

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: that's actually one of the least shocking things I've heard in quite some time.

Is Grand Rapids a hip town?
hipper than most.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 08/08/17, 10:16 am

Now that we have context....

There's a reason there are laws and regulations banning lending or renting on the basis of race and it isn't because it wouldn't happen without the laws. And it would happen all over the place, not just Grand Rapids.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 08/08/17, 10:48 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

GR after all.

Serious Question 502811600 Has the guy been living under a rock?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/17, 11:18 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: that's actually one of the least shocking things I've heard in quite some time.

No, just live somewhere that we don't judge by color. I'm sorry you don't.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 08/08/17, 11:20 am

LooseGoose wrote:

How far are you from Kalkaska?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 08/08/17, 11:22 am

LooseGoose wrote:

No, just live somewhere that we don't judge by color.   I'm sorry you don't.

Lol k

The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.83% White, 0.15% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 2.13% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.44% of the population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mio,_Michigan#Demographics

Edit- note that the total population is 2,016. So, the total number you are looking for is 3. 3 people.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 08/08/17, 11:39 am

You probably dodged a tennant you'd have wished you never met.

GR is a big small town and if she wasn't finding a landlord it was could have been from her known relationship(s) etc. Being an African American woman wouldn't be a reason based on the number of African American women who rent in the greater Grand Rapids area.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 08/08/17, 12:05 pm

GR after all.

Some serious naievte going on goose. It's why I do feel a sense of privilege and not that I feel guilty about it, but I try to have an open mind of problems old white guys don't have vs many of my friends in the Detroit area who happen to be black or Hispanic.

It's what Trumpites will never understand or give a shit about.

Read over view of findings.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/17, 12:08 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Lol k

The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.83% White, 0.15% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 2.13% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.44% of the population.

Edit- note that the total population is 2,016. So, the total number you are looking for is 3. 3 people.

Except that's not the reality. You go ahead with your wiki sourced 10 year old data as gospel.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/08/17, 12:10 pm

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

How far are you from Kalkaska?

That's a typical Nigel response. Are you just like any asshole that live within 70 miles of you?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 08/08/17, 12:26 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Lol k

Except that's not the reality. You go ahead with your wiki sourced 10 year old data as gospel.

I doubt that it has changed all thaaaat much.

I actually thought you were joking. We can all just laugh if you want.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 08/08/17, 12:27 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Lol k

That info is based on the 2000 census.  The White population has dipped to 96.55% and there is now one more black person bringing the total to four.

http://censusviewer.com/city/MI/Mio/2010
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 08/08/17, 12:33 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

Lol k

That info is based on the 2000 census.  The White population has dipped to 96.55% and there is now one more black person bringing the total to four.

http://censusviewer.com/city/MI/Mio/2010

Shit, I retract my previous post.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next