Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-08-09, 09:00

'Loneliness Epidemic' Called a Major Public Health Threat

MONDAY, Aug. 7, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Loneliness may be more hazardous to your health than obesity -- and a growing number of Americans are at risk, researchers report.

About 42.6 million American adults over age 45 are believed to suffer from chronic loneliness, according to AARP.

"Being connected to others socially is widely considered a fundamental human need -- crucial to both well-being and survival. Extreme examples show infants in custodial care who lack human contact fail to thrive and often die, and indeed, social isolation or solitary confinement has been used as a form of punishment," said Julianne Holt-Lunstad. She is a professor of psychology at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

At least we have each other to help us through these trying times.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14386
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-08-09, 09:20

Shut up, Floyd.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 24808
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by The Pantry on 2017-08-09, 09:24

Turtleneck wrote:Shut up, Floyd.
Did he touch a nerve?
avatar
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 8527
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Troy

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-08-09, 09:28

Turtleneck wrote:Shut up, Floyd.

I'm sorry Turtleneck, so here's an e-hug.

avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14386
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Rocinante on 2017-08-09, 11:07

There are so many ways to connect with a community with your very specific interests. People need to take responsibility for themselves and get the hell out of the house.

_________________
It's only a matter of time before this thing blows up in our faces.
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12156
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-08-09, 11:26

Rocinante wrote:There are so many ways to connect with a community with your very specific interests. People need to take responsibility for themselves and get the hell out of the house.

Exactly. Social media platforms, face time, Skype, whatever.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14386
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Rocinante on 2017-08-09, 11:30

One place that me and somebody like Goose might agree is in that I think we overindulge social anxiety.

_________________
It's only a matter of time before this thing blows up in our faces.
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12156
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Herbie Green on 2017-08-09, 11:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Rocinante wrote:There are so many ways to connect with a community with your very specific interests. People need to take responsibility for themselves and get the hell out of the house.

Exactly. Social media platforms, face time, Skype, whatever.

Doesn't social media cause isolation and depression?
avatar
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Posts : 5329
Join date : 2014-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-08-09, 11:43

Rocinante wrote:There are so many ways to connect with a community with your very specific interests. People need to take responsibility for themselves and get the hell out of the house.

The problem is a lot of people are poor and poor people smell.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 24808
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-08-09, 11:45

Herbie Green wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Exactly. Social media platforms, face time, Skype, whatever.

Doesn't social media cause isolation and depression?

Roc makes a good point about getting out of the house and connecting with people in your community whether by geography or interest, but I actually think social media cuts down isolation. With technology the way it is, you can have conversations with people and not have to be in the same physical space.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14386
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Turtleneck on 2017-08-09, 11:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Doesn't social media cause isolation and depression?

Roc makes a good point about getting out of the house and connecting with people in your community whether by geography or interest, but I actually think social media cuts down isolation. With technology the way it is, you can have conversations with people and not have to be in the same physical space.

A lot of those people are also poor and poor people act weird on the Internet.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 24808
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Herbie Green on 2017-08-09, 11:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Doesn't social media cause isolation and depression?

Roc makes a good point about getting out of the house and connecting with people in your community whether by geography or interest, but I actually think social media cuts down isolation. With technology the way it is, you can have conversations with people and not have to be in the same physical space.

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-grandma-enjoys-flourishing-correspondence-wit-35100
avatar
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Posts : 5329
Join date : 2014-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by GRR Spartan on 2017-08-09, 12:33

Was told of a family relative who has been standoffish for more than a decade is a member of Facebook group for introverts.

Seems like a contradiction to me. Why would an introvert be on Facebook?

avatar
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6171
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Herbie Green on 2017-08-09, 13:01

GRR Spartan wrote:Was told of a family relative who has been standoffish for more than a decade is a member of Facebook group for introverts.

Seems like a contradiction to me. Why would an introvert be on Facebook?


Why would a drug addict seek a support group of other drug addicts that want to stop taking drugs?
avatar
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Posts : 5329
Join date : 2014-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by GRR Spartan on 2017-08-09, 13:12

Herbie Green wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Was told of a family relative who has been standoffish for more than a decade is a member of Facebook group for introverts.

Seems like a contradiction to me. Why would an introvert be on Facebook?


Why would a drug addict seek a support group of other drug addicts that want to stop taking drugs?

Because its part of their sentencing
avatar
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6171
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Herbie Green on 2017-08-09, 13:30

GRR Spartan wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

Why would a drug addict seek a support group of other drug addicts that want to stop taking drugs?

Because its part of their sentencing

ok I hope you are just joking around
avatar
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Posts : 5329
Join date : 2014-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Study: 'Loneliness Epidemic' Is a Major Public Health Threat

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum