Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crazy steaks

+27
Brock Middlebrook
MSU addict
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
LakeMilakokia
Gomer
tTy
tTito
MasonGuy
Jake from State Farm
By-Tor
Sponge Worthy
I.B. Fine
Snake Plissken
Turf
Marc Summers
DroppedByADime
Phil McCrackin
Rodeo Burger
Cym Jim
tanfan!
Ass Dan
dubie7006
WhiteBoyHatcher
DWags
green night
The Pantry
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crazy steaks Empty Crazy steaks

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-15, 16:51

Have shopped at Nino Salvaggio's over 20 years, though not so much over the last 5 or so years since they have upped all their prices to near Whole Foods/Papa Joes like numbers.

Stopped there Friday to pick up something decent to grill for today.  Saw thick cut Delmonicos.  Originally asked the guy behind the counter for 3 but stopped him when the first 2 registered 4 1/4#.

These things are monsters, 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" thick.  So thick it will be the first time I ever used a meat thermometer on a steak. Hot sear, then indirect heat

Crazy steaks Delmon11
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Crazy steaks Empty Re: Crazy steaks

Post by green night 2014-06-15, 17:06

I'm very proud of you. That's very nice.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-15, 17:16

The Pantry wrote:Have shopped at Nino Salvaggio's over 20 years, though not so much over the last 5 or so years since they have upped all their prices to near Whole Foods/Papa Joes like numbers.

Stopped there Friday to pick up something decent to grill for today.  Saw thick cut Delmonicos.  Originally asked the guy behind the counter for 3 but stopped him when the first 2 registered 4 1/4#.

These things are monsters, 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" thick.  So thick it will be the first time I ever used a meat thermometer on a steak.  Hot sear, then indirect heat

Crazy steaks Delmon11

Which one? harper and 11 or Hall Road or Troy?

I used to go to harp and 11 exclusively,but I got to tell you the meat at Sams and Cosco is better. Lately, I've noticed the meat is better at the Nino's. Maybe they're coming back
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-15, 17:21

I bought a $33 Delmonico at Nino's last week. The marbling is absurd. I'll post pics when I get around to cooking it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-15, 17:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a $33 Delmonico at Nino's last week.  The marbling is absurd.  I'll post pics when I get around to cooking it.

I've noticed the meat is getting better. I'm very pleased.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-15, 17:37

DWags wrote:

Which one?  harper and 11 or Hall Road or Troy?

I used to go to harp and 11 exclusively,but I got to tell you the meat at Sams and Cosco is better.  Lately, I've noticed the meat is better at the Nino's.  Maybe they're  coming back
Rochester Road. Have been to the Hall Road location a couple times
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-15, 17:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I bought a $33 Delmonico at Nino's last week.  The marbling is absurd.  I'll post pics when I get around to cooking it.
The two pictured were $55.

While in there I noticed Nino's is now selling Wagyu beef for $32#. No fucking way I'll ever pay that. At that price I'd rather buy quality sashimi from Noble Fish in Clawson
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-06-15, 20:59

Holy shit. Are you taking one down by yourself? If so, kudos. I know for damn sure I couldn't. That looks like a damn fine cut of meat, though.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-06-15, 22:02

I just sent that picture to three different people, sorry for creeping. I'm salivating uncontrollably.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-17, 22:35

The Pantry wrote:
The two pictured were $55.

While in there I noticed Nino's is now selling Wagyu beef for $32#.  No fucking way I'll ever pay that.  At that price I'd rather buy quality sashimi from Noble Fish in Clawson

I did not see the Wagyu. I was up running some errands on 59 and ran into the store last week and saw this thing and couldn't resist. I'm going to cook it tonight. My plan is a cast iron sear on each side after I let the skillet get hot on the grill for ~ 15 minutes in clarified butter. Then into the oven at 500 degrees for a couple of minutes. I'm also going to surf and turf it. Picked up a couple of lobster tails at our local Kroger in little Kuwait. Going to grill one of those bad boys up, too.

Here is the $33 steak. And yeah, pumpkin plate. Cuz that's how I roll.

Crazy steaks 14468627103_72a1958513_c

Salting the hell out of it with kosher salt. I have been doing some reading and the thing to do seems to be to oversalt it and let it sit for 30-45 minutes, drawing a lot of the moisture out of the meat. Rinse, dry, and your sear will take better. Have not tried it yet. We will see.

Crazy steaks 14261842050_9e7094e4de_z

Lobstah tail. Going to soak it in water to make sure it is thawed. No pumpkin bowl available.

Crazy steaks 14261807749_80c6bd209d_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-06-17, 22:45

I wonder if ccccrazy sparty likes crazy steaks
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-17, 23:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I did not see the Wagyu. I was up running some errands on 59 and ran into the store last week and saw this thing and couldn't resist. I'm going to cook it tonight. My plan is a cast iron sear on each side after I let the skillet get hot on the grill for ~ 15 minutes in clarified butter. Then into the oven at 500 degrees for a couple of minutes. I'm also going to surf and turf it. Picked up a couple of lobster tails at our local Kroger in little Kuwait. Going to grill one of those bad boys up, too.

Here is the $33 steak. And yeah, pumpkin plate. Cuz that's how I roll.

Salting the hell out of it with kosher salt. I have been doing some reading and the thing to do seems to be to oversalt it and let it sit for 30-45 minutes, drawing a lot of the moisture out of the meat. Rinse, dry, and your sear will take better. Have not tried it yet. We will see.

Lobstah tail. Going to soak it in water to make sure it is thawed. No pumpkin bowl available.

They have a plastic Wagyu display over the counter where the kabobs are...next to the seafood counter. They don't keep it at the counter and I'm pretty sure whatever they have is frozen.

Pumpkin plates? Seriously? With the smoking rig you have you should invest in some proper chaffing pans.  Crazy steaks 506486848 

Salt. I use kosher for pasta water. Meat deserves better.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-06-17, 23:33

The Pantry wrote:
Salt.  I use kosher for pasta water.  Meat deserves better.

Indeed. I only use artisanal Mediterranean fleur de sel, handcrafted by unichs on the summer solstice. And that's just on my chips.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 00:00

The Pantry wrote:

They have a plastic Wagyu display over the counter where the kabobs are...next to the seafood counter.  They don't keep it at the counter and I'm pretty sure whatever they have is frozen.

Pumpkin plates? Seriously?  With the smoking rig you have you should invest in some proper chaffing pans.   Crazy steaks 506486848 

Salt.  I use kosher for pasta water.  Meat deserves better.

I have a nice little chafing setup for the annual BBQ, which btw is on hiatus this year, sadly. For salting meat....it doesn't really matter, does it?

I just chowed down. Glorious. I would change the method only so I don't burn my foot next time. Pics forthcoming.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 00:46

Oh my. What a debacle. My 4 (nearly 5) year old came down because his little unplanned nap today did not leave him sufficiently tired. So I had to dodge his mess while trying to feed him and find a ninja turtle type show for him to watch.

At any rate, after the 30-40 minute salt bath, I rinsed the steak off with cold water, and patted it very dry with paper towels. I also pulled the lobstah tail from the thaw bath, turned it over, and sliced it down the middle with a sharp knife. I then lightly sprayed both the meat and the lobstah tail with grapeseed oil, and doused them heavily in coarse ground black pepper.

PS. I should add here that I don't want to give off the wrong vibe. I'm not an expert to this method by any means. Just reading on the intertrons and experimenting. Minus well document it here.  

Crazy steaks 14448991405_8d476cd88a_c

So yeah, about that clarified butter. I had that cast iron skillet on the grill for 15+ minutes, and I read somewhere that searing the meat in clarified butter was the shit. So I wanted to do it. But obviously I couldn't put the clarified butter in the skillet and let it heat up for 15 minutes. So my dumb ass decided I would clarify it, and then throw it in the white hot skillet right before I put the steak in. BIG MISTAKE. DO NOT DO THIS. Pretty much common sense, but hey, sometimes risks seem worth it.

Crazy steaks 14262410179_ebd28739c0_c

Notice the pinkish spots on the right of the foot. And the lack of eyeball toes.

Crazy steaks 14447864704_620092541b_b

So it splattered and I burned my foot. Still hurts. But I soldiered on.

Threw the steak on. Less than a minute on each side. Perhaps 45 seconds. Had the oven heated to 500 btw.

Pulled the skillet and transferred it to the oven. About 2 minutes and then flipped the meat for another 2 minutes. Using the Thermapen, was starting to see readings of 115+ so I pulled it and plated it. Covered with foil to rest for ~ 10 minutes.

Now I moved the lobstah tail to the grill. 3 minutes on each side - shell and meat.

Crazy steaks 14447633842_56e7805596_c

When the lobstah was done I felt the meat had rested sufficiently and put this puzzle together.

Crazy steaks 14447863654_100a7b3048_c

Crazy steaks 14262544797_340fba3dec_c

Crazy steaks 14262378988_6a30939fe4_c

Crazy steaks 14262445570_cc2e45b7ea_c

I am not happy with the burned foot. Or the fact that the little monster is still up. But the steak and crustacean turned out damn good.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-06-18, 00:52

Nicely done. Looks great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-18, 01:02

WBH needs to start a damn blog! I'd gladly trade food burns for food that looks like that.

I'm not going to be getting too serious about grilling or BBQ this year, but when I do, I want some vittles that end up like that.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 01:09

I'm not that good of a cook, Rodeo. Experimenting like this just becomes something fun you can mess around with when you're homeward bound. I do think I make pretty kick ass Bbq, but that's all relative to SE MI.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 01:19

Man. I'm kinda buzzed up right now but I think I might have really fucked up my foot.  Crazy steaks 502811600 but not Crazy steaks 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-06-18, 01:45

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm not that good of a cook, Rodeo. Experimenting like this just becomes something fun you can mess around with when you're homeward bound. I do think I make pretty kick ass Bbq, but that's all relative to SE MI.

Well, I guess all things are relative. I've never heard of grape seed oil, so there's that.

Hope your foot feels better, but I have a feeling the meal was worth it.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-06-18, 10:15

A couple of things I'd like to discuss in this thread.

1. Letting steaks sit at room temperature for a long time prior to grilling is pointless. (Yes, I said it.) A thick cut steak is not going to change temperature much in 30-60 minutes of room temp. Just salt it and put it back in the fridge.

2. When salting a steak ahead of time, be sure to rinse it and dry it really well prior to grilling. I've witnessed friends ruin good steaks by failing to do this. Everyone likes salty food, but your steak will taste like a salt lick if you don't rinse it and dry it off. There shouldn't be any visible salt on the steak when you put it on the grill.

3. For thick steaks, I like to cook them at medium temp, then sear over direct heat at the end. The notion that the sear "locks in" juices and therefore should be done up front is bullshit. It doesn't matter, I've done it both ways (sometimes side by side) and it is always the same result.

4. Use a meat thermometer. Yeah, I know we're all bad ass grillers and can spot a medium rare steak from 20 feet away, but more often than not people get it wrong. Most of us are not pro cooks working in a restaurant kitchen with the same cuts of meat night after night.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime 2014-06-18, 10:22

Nice looking steak. Your dawgs on the other hand --- I don't recommend sandals, bro.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2014-06-18, 17:33

Looks like someone sold you roast, and charged three times as much.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turf 2014-06-18, 19:23

searing in butter is pretty much impossible, isn't it? won't the butter just burn? i usually just put a pat of butter on it while it's resting.
Turf
Turf
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 20:27

Turf1 wrote:searing in butter is pretty much impossible, isn't it? won't the butter just burn? i usually just put a pat of butter on it while it's resting.

I usually do a pat of butter, as well, but last night I put all of that clarified butter from the saucepan into my skillet (and onto my foot - still burnt) right before my steak. It worked out really well.

It would appear that clarified butter has a pretty low smoke point but hey, it worked.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/smokepoints.htm
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 20:34

Marc Summers wrote:Looks like someone sold you roast, and charged three times as much.

Nucky, once again speaking out of your anus.

First of all, a ribeye is comes from a rib roast. So it basically is the same thing.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my pics or the OP, but in general, marbling = good = more expensive. The Delmonico ribeye comes from a certain part of the rib roast that is supposed to in general, have more fat.

For example, this is a wagyu ribeye.

Crazy steaks 26

Third of all, wagyu is kind of a scam as there is no "true" wagyu beef in the US. I read a good article about this last year but I don't have the link handy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-06-18, 21:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Nucky, once again speaking out of your anus.

First of all, a ribeye is comes from a rib roast. So it basically is the same thing.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my pics or the OP, but in general, marbling = good = more expensive. The Delmonico ribeye comes from a certain part of the rib roast that is supposed to in general, have more fat.

For example, this is a wagyu ribeye.

Crazy steaks 26

Third of all, wagyu is kind of a scam as there is no "true" wagyu beef in the US. I read a good article about this last year but I don't have the link handy.

I'll help you out

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-18, 21:41

Phil McCrackin wrote:A couple of things I'd like to discuss in this thread.

1. Letting steaks sit at room temperature for a long time prior to grilling is pointless. (Yes, I said it.) A thick cut steak is not going to change temperature much in 30-60 minutes of room temp. Just salt it and put it back in the fridge.
Debatable.  The ones I pictured were extremely thick.  Let them sit out at room temp for 4 hours, covered of course.  It definitely helped in getting a balanced medium rare.

2. When salting a steak ahead of time, be sure to rinse it and dry it really well prior to grilling. I've witnessed friends ruin good steaks by failing to do this. Everyone likes salty food, but your steak will taste like a salt lick if you don't rinse it and dry it off. There shouldn't be any visible salt on the steak when you put it on the grill.
Fascinating both you and WBH mention salting and then rinsing the steak.  Have never heard of the technique, and will never try it.

Maybe this is where the type of salt comes into play. Table salt has a distinct metallic taste IMO...very harsh.  Like table sugar, it's something I don't keep in the house.  Kosher salt is less harsh, maybe because the crystals are larger.  I find sea salt much milder in flavor and use it to season whatever I throw on the grill or smoker.

I'm particularly fond of this sea salt

Crazy steaks Celtic10

A 22# bag is roughly $90 but lasts me about 5 years.  A quality salt grinder is a must...have tried a lot of shitty ones.

3. For thick steaks, I like to cook them at medium temp, then sear over direct heat at the end. The notion that the sear "locks in" juices and therefore should be done up front is bullshit. It doesn't matter, I've done it both ways (sometimes side by side) and it is always the same result.
Never tried the method because sear-first makes more sense from a control standpoint.  At what internal temp do you pull the thing to sear it?

4. Use a meat thermometer. Yeah, I know we're all bad ass grillers and can spot a medium rare steak from 20 feet away, but more often than not people get it wrong. Most of us are not pro cooks working in a restaurant kitchen with the same cuts of meat night after night.

Completely agree
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-18, 21:54

You're missing the point on the salt, P. Revelation I just discovered yesterday. The point of all the salt is not necessarily to impart flavor on the meat (though that can be accomplished, too). It's to oversalt the **** out of it to draw as much moisture out of the steak as possible. Thus, it helps your sear tremendously. I am a salt fiend but obviously you don't want to cook it with that much salt on it. The steak definitely had enough salt drawn into the meat after a 30-45 min rest that I didn't need to add my own table salt afterwards (I use seat salt, as well).

Like I was saying last night, I had been searing for 2-3 minutes on each side and not getting a good sear on it. Check out the sear on the steak I did last night. 1 minute tops each side, probably more like 45-50 seconds.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-06-18, 23:09

We occasionally will do a roast and just bury the thing in Kosher salt, stick it in the oven and when it's done, the salt just cracks off, like a shell. Does not impart salty flavor to the meat, but makes for some very tender, tasty meat
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-06-19, 11:09

I often wonder why in the world Kosher or Sea NACL would taste any different than any other NACL

Can anybody clue me in?  Wink 
Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-06-19, 11:39

Sponge Worthy wrote:I often wonder why in the world Kosher or Sea NACL would taste any different than any other NACL  

kosher salt is just larger grained regular salt. it should be called koshering salt.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-06-19, 11:54

Sponge Worthy wrote:I often wonder why in the world Kosher or Sea NACL would taste any different than any other NACL  

Sea salt has fish poop mixed in with it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-06-19, 11:56

The Pantry wrote:
Debatable.  The ones I pictured were extremely thick.  Let them sit out at room temp for 4 hours, covered of course.  It definitely helped in getting a balanced medium rare.

4 hours is pretty extreme. I'm not a food safety expert, but this seems like a bad idea.
My statement was more aimed at people who insist on steak sitting out for 30-45 minutes before grilling. I contend that this accomplishes nothing, because 70F ambient air temp isn't goign to raise the internal 35-40F temp of a refrigerated steak more than that unless you are willing to let it sit for hours. You are one of the people willing to let it sit for hours.

Fascinating both you and WBH mention salting and then rinsing the steak.  Have never heard of the technique, and will never try it.

Maybe this is where the type of salt comes into play. Table salt has a distinct metallic taste IMO...very harsh.  Like table sugar, it's something I don't keep in the house.  Kosher salt is less harsh, maybe because the crystals are larger.  I find sea salt much milder in flavor and use it to season whatever I throw on the grill or smoker.

I'm particularly fond of this sea salt

A 22# bag is roughly $90 but lasts me about 5 years.  A quality salt grinder is a must...have tried a lot of shitty ones.

Interesting that you state you will NEVER try it. Why not? Isn't part of the fun of cooking trying new things? I'm not saying my way is the only way, I'm more interested in discussing and learning how others do it.
I've tried the salt w/o rinsing and found it to be overly salty. Maybe I'm doing something different or wrong than you. I don't use a lot of salt on my food, so I may be more sensitive to salt taste than you. I much prefer the salting to tenderize, draw out moisture, then rinse/dry it off. I always use sea salt from a grinder (i just buy the disposable cheap ones at the grocery store) or kosher salt from a box. I don't think I have plain table salt in my house and haven't used it in years.

Never tried the method because sear-first makes more sense from a control standpoint.  At what internal temp do you pull the thing to sear it?
I do it both ways, sear up front or sear at the end. I'm not sure it really matters either way, my point was more that "locking in the juices" isn't accomplished either way. The juices can still run out, even with a really crusty sear.

Some argue that it's easier to get a more evenly cooked piece of meat if you sear at the end. When I've done this, I've moved the steaks to the hot side when they are around 115-120F, sear them on each side and pull them off. Maybe 30-60 seconds per side? Should end up with a 130F medium-rare steak after pulling off + a few minutes to rest. This is easier with gas than charcoal, as you have more temp control.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-06-19, 22:13

Phil McCrackin wrote:

4 hours is pretty extreme. I'm not a food safety expert, but this seems like a bad idea.
My statement was more aimed at people who insist on steak sitting out for 30-45 minutes before grilling. I contend that this accomplishes nothing, because 70F ambient air temp isn't goign to raise the internal 35-40F temp of a refrigerated steak more than that unless you are willing to let it sit for hours. You are one of the people willing to let it sit for hours.
Would never leave chicken or ground meat out that long but have no problem leaving large cuts of beef out...do it with standing rib roasts whenever I make one.  Have even tried a recipe for corned beef that marinates the brisket for 2 days at room temperature.  The really interesting part of the recipe is the meat is ready to eat after marinating...no cooking required.

Interesting that you state you will NEVER try it. Why not? Isn't part of the fun of cooking trying new things? I'm not saying my way is the only way, I'm more interested in discussing and learning how others do it.
I've tried the salt w/o rinsing and found it to be overly salty. Maybe I'm doing something different or wrong than you. I don't use a lot of salt on my food, so I may be more sensitive to salt taste than you. I much prefer the salting to tenderize, draw out moisture, then rinse/dry it off. I always use sea salt from a grinder (i just buy the disposable cheap ones at the grocery store) or kosher salt from a box. I don't think I have plain table salt in my house and haven't used it in years.
Never because I don't have a need to try it.  I'm very happy with the sear and flavor of the method I use.  Plus, the idea of putting water on a steak defies all of my grilling sensibilities developed over the years.  The only possible reason I could see for putting a steak under a faucet is if gHost's grilling friend drops one on the patio and then keeps it on the side to eat himself  tongue 

Couple other things:
1) Sea salt.  I've tried a shitload of them, including some with disposable grinders.  They are not all the same.  Settled on Celtic grey sea salt as my favorite about 15 years ago.  It adds a light saltiness and nice flavor to everything you put it on/in...meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, potatoes and other starches, chili, etc...without being overpowering.   The stuff is so light that it's almost impossible to over salt anything unless you are extremely heavy handed.  

The 22# bags are wet...probably a couple pounds of moisture in each bag.  I cut them open and fill a mason jar with wet stuff for later use in sauces and chili.  Scoop a few cups out on a dinner plate to air dry a couple days for day-to-day use in the salt grinder.  The rest of the bag gets twist tied and stored in a sealed 5 gallon bucket for when I need it months later.

I suggest trying it.  You don't have to buy the big bag...they have one and five pound options.

Celtic sea salt

2) Sear.    Bought a Weber Genesis gas grill in 1997.  Stopped using it for steaks and burgers roughly a month after the purchase and went back to the kettle.  IMO gas grills are great for rotisserie...that's about it.  

Lump charcoal gets hot as hell and delivers the perfect steak sear, without a salt cure and water bath.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-06-19, 23:11

I thought about this awesome thread as I was eating my lame meat load served up at the Texas Roadhouse. The Arnold Palmer was tasty, the meat left me wanting to revisit this thread.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-06-20, 16:00

MasonGuy wrote:I thought about this awesome thread as I was eating my lame meat load served up at the Texas Roadhouse.  The Arnold Palmer was tasty, the meat left me wanting to revisit this thread.

Wait, what? You blew Arnold Palmer at Texas Road House?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-06-26, 00:53

Moar experimenting. I think you need a fire in the cast iron skillet. And you need to do the salt bath. Wow, the sear. I started the clarified butter in the skillet on the enclosed grill. By the time I had the steak washed and ready to put on it was a raging fire. I think that's what you want. 45-60 seconds per side. Then into the oven/indirect heat. I actually put this one into my WSM which was cooking hot with hickory wood. Pulled it at 115-120 to rest.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-06-26, 00:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Moar experimenting. I think you need a fire in the cast iron skillet. And you need to do the salt bath. Wow, the sear. I started the clarified butter in the skillet on the enclosed grill. By the time I had the steak washed and ready to put on it was a raging fire. I think that's what you want. 45-60 seconds per side. Then into the oven/indirect heat. I actually put this one into my WSM which was cooking hot with hickory wood. Pulled it at 115-120 to rest.

Update your foot pics please.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-06-26, 00:58

I don't give too much of a shit about steaks really.

But god damnit... It's nice having pictures in posts again.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next